The Cardinals named AOL's NFL Paper Champs this offseason

BigRedFan

Registered
Reaction score
I had to laugh at the title of the article. Now lets see if we can break .500.

Matt Leinart. You remember him. Heisman Trophy winner, wears a national championship ring, always gets the girl. Yeah, that guy. He would have been the first pick in the 2005 draft, but decided to stick around for another season at USC to see if he could bypass the NFL and go straight to the Hall of Fame.

But there he sat, as the 10th pick rolled around Saturday afternoon, without a team to call his own. And then the phone rang. Instead of showing his disappointment, Leinart smiled for the cameras a few minutes later and proclaimed, "I'm just happy to be a member of the Arizona Cardinals."

League historians still are on the case, but Leinart is believed to be the first player ever to utter those words. The Cardinals? Most players would rather drive a station wagon than play for the Cardinals. Either that or be fingered as the guy who put Abba's Greatest Hits in the weight-room C.D. player.

At least that's the way it used to be. The Cardinals have been so bad for so long, everyone who saw them when they were any good is too old to remember. For the record, they've made the playoffs once since the '70s and three times since the AFL-NFL merger, which dates back to the Nixon administration.

I only mention this stuff because the Cardinals' ship finally has come in. They aren't going to be lousy for much longer. Like maybe a month or two, or however long it takes Leinart to learn the playbook.

Not that it was just Leinart. The Cardinals have made so many good moves, they've been selected AOL's official paper champions of the NFL offseason. Next stop: Miami, site of Super Bowl XLI.

Oh, all right, so that's probably a tad or two optimistic. But make no doubt, the Cardinals are nobody's road kill any more. They've got more potential than one of their running backs, Obafemi Ayanbadejo, has syllables. They've got new unis, a new stadium, a new core of players and a new outlook on life. Next thing you know, penurious owner Bill Bidwill will break down and get cable.

Before adding Leinart, the Cardinals signed tailback Edgerrin James, one of the crown jewels of the free-agent class of '06. There are those who say Edge isn't the player he was in his younger years. Trouble is, he's still in his younger years. For all the success he has had in the NFL, he doesn't turn 28 until August.

Then you've got wideouts Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin, who combined for 205 catches in 2005. Add two other draft picks, guard Deuce Lutui and tight end Leonard Pope, to the mix and you've got the makings of the NFC's best offense.

I know what you're saying. You’re saying defense wins championships. Not! It may have back in the day, but this is the 21st century, when the rules are rigged to promote passing and scoring.

You think I'm wrong? Then Bill Cowher is wrong, too. He traded up to select Ohio State wideout Santonio Holmes, making it three straight years in which the Super Bowl champion Steelers had gone for an offensive playmaker in the first round.

The Cardinals aren't the only NFC team to experience a resurgence this offseason. In case you haven't noticed, the junior-varsity conference, a loser in five of the past six Super Bowls, has made some big strides in recent months. Take the draft, for instance.

Two AFC teams, the Texans and Titans, had the first and third picks and came away with North Carolina State defensive end Mario Williams and Texas quarterback Vince Young. Sorry, but I'd rather have the Boys of Troy, former Southern Cal Trojans Reggie Bush and Leinart, each of whom went to an NFC team.

This notion that the balance of power has swung heavily in favor of the AFC? There’s no denying it, what with the league’s top three quarterbacks - Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and Carson Palmer - each calling the AFC home. There’s also no denying that the NFC has closed the gap this offseason. Or maybe you haven’t noticed the migration of big-name talent to the NFC.

Names? You want names? Try Drew Brees, Antwaan Randle El, Sam Madison and Mike Vanderjagt, who could be all the Cowboys need to make it to the Super Bowl. If they don’t make it, the Redskins or Giants could. Dallas has added Terrell Owens to the mix and the 'Skins had the league's top free-agent class in Adam Archuleta, Andre Carter and Randle El. The Giants, meanwhile, have added Madison and LaVar Arrington to play behind one of the league's best defensive lines.

But enough already with all this talk about defense. The Cardinals are the ones who've figured it out. In today's NFL, you score touchdowns first and ask questions later.

Last edited by a moderator:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
know what you're saying. You’re saying defense wins championships. Not!
If there are "phases of fan-dom" (which start off with "casual interest" and move up the sliding scale to sophisticated and "football knowledeable", the critical mass of Cardinal rooters is probably a little bit past halfway along the continuom).

That article was typical of most media pieces praising the Cardinal draft and catapaulting us into the category of Playoff Contender. Edge and Leinart certainly got their attention (and to his credit, the writer did mention Lutui and Pope).

But the article overlooks two things - one positive/one cautionary:

The statement "you're saying defense wins championships - Not." downplays the caliber of the Cardinal defense. Last season it was in the top 10 despite a plague of injuries that swept across all positions - from DL to LB to DB. Now we've gone out and completed the one missing piece of the puzzle by adding three stud DT's (Clancy, Watson and Lewis). The Cardinal defense is already a fun thing to watch." Imagine what it will look like with a legitimate push up the middle on passing downs and when opposing runners decide it's not such a hot idea to test our middle.

The word of caution involves prematurely counting our chickens. We haven't done anything yet. We only look good on paper. Balls bounce funny. Officials do dumb things. The injury gods can frown on a team. The team and its players may have trouble dealing with adversity (or conversely, with success).

Having lived in greater NYC all my life, you absorb the Giant fan's philosophy of "don't get too high/don't get too low. (Those fans have been pretty close to the right side of the fan-dom continuom for quite some time).

I think we have to combine our enthusiasm with realism before we will have arrived as knowledgeable Cardinal fans.

Last edited:

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Woo Hoo!!! I'm buying a "paper champ" T-shirt! Stupid Seahawks don't know what it takes to build a true champion

/starts playing "We are the Champions" on IPOD

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Paper champions rule

You must be registered for see images attach

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
Woo Hoo!!! I'm buying a "paper champ" T-shirt! Stupid Seahawks don't know what it takes to build a true champion

/starts playing "We are the Champions" on IPOD

Phoenix should have a parade!

Call it..hmmm, I am not really sure.

The Paper Champ Parade?

Kind of has a nice ring to it.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
vince56 said:
Paper champions rule

You must be registered for see images attach

This title, as well as a few others are going to the Player's Choice for $20.