Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so Pujols isn't on the list?

krispydude

\_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_
Reaction score
Toward the end of the road trip which included the Marlins series, or shortly after
the Blue Jays returned home to Toronto, Clemens approached McNamee and, for the first time,
brought up the subject of using steroids. Clemens said that he was not able to inject himself, and
he asked for McNamee’s help.
Later that summer, Clemens asked McNamee to inject him with Winstrol, which
Clemens supplied. McNamee knew the substance was Winstrol because the vials Clemens gave
him were so labeled. McNamee injected Clemens approximately four times in the buttocks over
a several-week period with needles that Clemens provided. Each incident took place in
Clemens’s apartment at the SkyDome. McNamee never asked Clemens where he obtained the
steroids.

busted!!!!

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Where is Bonds on that list abomb? There is no way to get a list without reading the whole thing I think. Arizona D-Backs and Cabrera are mentioned on page 94 but he isn't on the list.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, he is not.

:thumbup:

I guess it doesn't mean he's clean but I'm pretty sure he's prominent enough that if he was obviously dirty someone would have ratted him out.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where is Bonds on that list abomb? There is no way to get a list without reading the whole thing I think. Arizona D-Backs and Cabrera are mentioned on page 94 but he isn't on the list.

Dunno, I grabbed the list from deadspin.com.

edit: it looks like that list doesnt include the BALCO section.

krispydude

\_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_
Reaction score
Sometime in mid-September 2000, a clubhouse employee with the Arizona
Diamondbacks discovered a bottle of anabolic steroids and several hundred pills in a package
that had been mailed to the Diamondbacks’ ballpark in Phoenix. Clubhouse attendants knew that
the package had been intended for Alex Cabrera, then a player on Arizona’s major league roster,
who had been searching for the package for several days. They gave the box to the team’s
athletic trainer and told Cabrera that the package probably had been lost.
After he learned of the incident, Joe Garagiola, Jr., the Diamondbacks’ general
manager at the time, reported the discovery to the Commissioner’s Office. The Commissioner’s
Office retrieved the package and sent the drugs to the Drug Enforcement Administration for
evaluation, which confirmed that the vial contained Winstrol (stanozolol), an injectable anabolic​
steroid, and that the pills in the box were over-the-counter diet pills

lol..ship it to the ballpark. nice!

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Do you guys remember Cabrera? He looked like a pro wrestler and he literally only hit homers. He hit a bomb in his first at bat.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Diamondbacks discovered a bottle of anabolic steroids and several hundred pills in a package
that had been mailed to the Diamondbacks’ ballpark in Phoenix. Clubhouse attendants knew that
the package had been intended for Alex Cabrera, then a player on Arizona’s major league roster,
who had been searching for the package for several days. They gave the box to the team’s
athletic trainer and told Cabrera that the package probably had been lost.
After he learned of the incident, Joe Garagiola, Jr., the Diamondbacks’ general
manager at the time, reported the discovery to the Commissioner’s Office. The Commissioner’s
Office retrieved the package and sent the drugs to the Drug Enforcement Administration for
evaluation, which confirmed that the vial contained Winstrol (stanozolol), an injectable anabolic​
steroid, and that the pills in the box were over-the-counter diet pills

lol..ship it to the ballpark. nice!

Wow. Add Joe G to the short list of people who did the right thing.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There are way more players not named. This report just validates the culture that existed.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was really hoping Pujols wouldn't be on the list, I want just one of the better players of the current era to be legit.

Alex Rodriguez? Dont get any better than that.

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shipment of Steroids to Arizona Clubhouse, September 2000
Diamondbacks discovered a bottle of anabolic steroids and several hundred pills in a package that had been mailed to the Diamondbacks’ ballpark in Phoenix. Clubhouse attendants knew that the package had been intended for Alex Cabrera, then a player on Arizona’s major league roster, who had been searching for the package for several days. They gave the box to the team’s athletic trainer and told Cabrera that the package probably had been lost.
After he learned of the incident, Joe Garagiola, Jr., the Diamondbacks’ general manager at the time, reported the discovery to the Commissioner’s Office. The Commissioner’s Office retrieved the package and sent the drugs to the Drug Enforcement Administration for evaluation, which confirmed that the vial contained Winstrol (stanozolol), an injectable anabolic steroid, and that the pills in the box were over-the-counter diet pills.

By the time the DEA confirmed that the shipment to Cabrera had contained steroids, his contract had been sold to the Seibu Lions in the Japan League. Manfred therefore did not seek permission from the Players Association to subject Cabrera to “reasonable cause” testing for steroids.​

With “reasonable cause” testing unavailable, Hallinan and his staff were given clearance to conduct an investigation into the shipment. Using a combination of local private investigators and employees of the Commissioner’s Office, baseball conducted a substantial investigation over the following several months that included interviews of several witnesses in both the United States and Venezuela, including ultimately Cabrera, who asserted that he did not know why a package addressed to him from Martinez contained “greenies” and steroids. As a result of the investigation, the security department learned that players with the El Paso Diablos, a minor league affiliate of the Diamondbacks, regularly crossed the border into Mexico to purchase steroids.
Manfred and his then-deputy Frank Coonelly of the labor relations department would not agree to seek permission from the Players Association to interview active major league players who might have had relevant information about the incident, telling security director Kevin Hallinan that it would be “tough sledding” to get the Players Association to agree to those interviews. As a result of the investigation, the security department held training sessions for minor league teams in El Paso, Wichita, and Tulsa about the dangers of steroids and of hangers-on who might facilitate the illegal purchase of steroids.
No surprise that Cabrera was on the juice

krispydude

\_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_
Reaction score
There are way more players not named. This report just validates the culture that existed.

so true. this HUGE list is just from a few pharmacies and a few clubhouse guys ratting them out. just imagine how many declined comment and how many names they are hiding.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score

Yup, its amazing that the list names as many as it does considering the legal hurdles involved (ie Mitchell and the investigators had no access to drug testing information as that would be a violation of the CBA).

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
so true. this HUGE list is just from a few pharmacies and a few clubhouse guys ratting them out. just imagine how many declined comment and how many names they are hiding.

That's why although Gonzo hasn't been named, his 31 HRs in 2000 to 57 HRs in 2001 still will raise eyebrows as well it should. It will be interesting to see if some players who are named start ratting others out.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I've been looking through the report. But some things have really struck me.

Why did Canseco go to the rangers? The timing seems about right.

Maybe that's why we don't have an El Paso affiliate anymore, and maybe a factor if they'll leave tucson???

We sold alex cabrera over this I bet.

Makes me wonder about some other guys around that time, like durazo for some reason comes to mind.

Just reading this stuff, you see right after the light bulb went on in GM/coaches heads, the players were moving on somewhere else.

HooverDam

Reaction score
I like that stanozolol ends in "lol" it makes me laugh every time I read it.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Jack Cust on there as well, power hitting minor leaguer in our system before we traded him...hmm

And troy glaus

Alot of these guys did have abnormal power seasons and gained alot of weight during their careers.

The list is good, but doesnt have everyone, this guy Josias Manzanillo, was named but not on the list. Maybe a few more that I skipped over, and haven't gone through it all. Never heard of this guy though, so probably all the big names are out

I just had another thought, the New York Injectees not only have the highest payroll, and the most juiced up players, but still couldn't win lol. Also alot of this took place during 2001, so we took out a roid induced Yankess squad, classic.

Last edited:

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
I Dont Believe For One Moment Pujols Is On The List, I Just Dont Believe It. I Dont Buy It.

scXfreakX

Huh?
Reaction score
I just had another thought, the New York Injectees not only have the highest payroll, and the most juiced up players, but still couldn't win lol. Also alot of this took place during 2001, so we took out a roid induced Yankess squad, classic.

Yeah. That was very impressive.

In terms of the names, not manu surprised me. You knew you'd have Roger Clemens, Tejada, and Glaus on the list. The only ones that were 'surprises' was the ones I've never heard of. But that doesn't count.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Wow. Quite a large underground economy going on there. Just think how much money was switching hands - all under the radar so to speak.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05