Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Exorcism of Emily Rose

Release Date: September 9, 2005
Studio: Screen Gems (Sony)
Director: Scott Derrickson
Screenwriter: Scott Derrickson, Paul Harris Boardman
Genre: Horror, Thriller
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for thematic material, including intense/frightening sequences and disturbing images)

Starring: Laura Linney, Tom Wilkinson, Campbell Scott, Shohreh Aghdashloo, Jennifer Carpenter, Colm Feore

Plot Summary: In an extremely rare decision, the Catholic Church officially recognized the demonic possession of a 19 year-old college freshman. Told in terrifying flashbacks, "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" chronicles the haunting trial of the priest accused of negligence resulting in the death of the young girl believed to be possessed. Inspired by true events, the film stars Laura Linney as the lawyer who takes on the task of defending the priest (Tom Wilkinson) who performed the controversial exorcism.

Attachments

• exorcism.jpg
    exorcism.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 131

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going to see this opening day. Looks awesome. Finally a movie tat looks as though it may actually scare you.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was dissapointed overall.

But some scenes did give me the chills down my spine.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I get creeped out just watching the previews, I'm not going to see it :)

Mike

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
In what Daily Variety suggested was a "shocker" for box-office observers, Sony-Screen Gems's The Exorcism of Emily Rose debuted with $30.2 million over the weekend -- far higher than even the most optimistic forecasts. It was the third-biggest September opening ever -- behind 2002's Sweet Home Alabama ($35.6 million) and 1998's Rush Hour ($33 million). However, a second new film, The Man, performed well below analysts' predictions, taking in just $4 million, putting it in sixth place. Remaining in second place was The 40-Year-Old Virgin, which tallied $7.9 million in ticket sales in its fourth week, bringing its gross to $82.3 million. Last week's top film, Transporter 2, was transported to No. 3 with $7.2 million. Showing on just 1,381 screens, The Constant Gardener continued to perform strongly with $19.1 million. Also, in its ninth week, New Line's Wedding Crashers took in $3.2 million to put it over the $200-million mark. It finished in eighth place.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I liked it saw it this weekend.

My question is this.

The true story isnt far off from the movie, except it was in germany in real life.

My question is this, she was possesed by 6 demons.

The ones that were in : Hitler, Cain, and a host of other bad guys. The 6th one was Lucifer.

Does satan really have nothing better to do then hang out with lowly demons and possess little girls?

Id imagine if there was a satan he'd have more important things to do. Plus he would never lower himslef to hang out with lesser demons. :shrug:

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
It was good. Not really a horror flick, but a combination of a drama and a thriller.

Yeah that barn part about the six demons was freaky. Especially when she started naming off the names.

And of course Lucifer would be in her. He knew he was going to be in a movie.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw this yesterday. I thought it was just okay. Nothing special.

I am interested in learning more about the true story it was based on, but the movie left me sort of flat.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
To the films' credit it didn't try to rip off any of the Exorcist premises. (vomit, drastically altered voices, spinning heads) Decent flick.

Last edited:

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finially got around to seeing this and I like the way the story was told. It was not a scary as I thought is was going to be, but I still liked it.