The Flash (CW)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking more along the lines of The Incredible Hulk, which had better lead actor than Green Arrow, and embraced the whole two-sided coin of alienation and heroism. What it lacked in an expanding universe, it made up for in a regular theme. I think that's the strength of Green Arrow. Both shows made their heroes absolutely morally perfect (or near perfect). Arrow suffers from just as much of that as Hulk, but it still works.

I don't know about the morally perfect part or even near perfect. Remember that when Arrow comes back he is murdering people. I think that is what drew me into the show. There is nothing like starting off a new show with someone morally ambiguous. The fact that the show used that theme to evolve and grow the character I think is what sets it apart from these cookie cutter hero types.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the morally perfect part or even near perfect. Remember that when Arrow comes back he is murdering people. I think that is what drew me into the show. There is nothing like starting off a new show with someone morally ambiguous. The fact that the show used that theme to evolve and grow the character I think is what sets it apart from these cookie cutter hero types.

Who did he kill that wasn't justifiable? There was no rage. He did nothing that cost innocent lives (in the modern timeline). There were no consequences. It's faux moral ambiguity if anything, and it was a temporary character flaw that was resolved in a snap with an after-school special speech from Diggs. I was waiting for the "More You Know" theme.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who did he kill that wasn't justifiable? There was no rage. He did nothing that cost innocent lives (in the modern timeline). There were no consequences. It's faux moral ambiguity if anything, and it was a temporary character flaw that was resolved in a snap with an after-school special speech from Diggs. I was waiting for the "More You Know" theme.

It was not about justification. Most heroes simply don't kill. That to me is the very definition of a "morally perfect". Justified or not, he was a killer which is typical of a vigilante versus hero. That was a central theme of the character going from vigilante to hero why the new tagline in the opening credits "I have to be something more".

Also, I don't agree it was because of a simple speech from Diggs. From the outset of the show (especially scenes on the island) he has struggled with the morality of what he was doing and was conflicted. The people around him Diggs and Felicity have questioned his judgment and pushed him from the get go to possibly question his actions.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Flash First Look: Don't Blink

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was actually sort of surprised at these clips. Much better than I anticipated.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One thing I don't get. Looking at the cast, it looks like Clyde Mardon is going to be Weather Wizard instead of Mark Mardon. I do like the other DC references like Ferris Airfield and STAR Labs.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not bad for a start but the pilot felt rushed. Some interesting things. First off I have no idea where the last scene will take the show but it was sort of a brilliant twist that opens the overall story of the Flash into a series long mystery. Sort of smart IMO because it gives the show a subplot and many possibilities.

Okay so Harrison Wells is obviously faking his injury and he appears to be from the future or working with someone from the future. He appears to be the catalyst for creating the Flash. Also, some interesting things in case you missed it. The newspaper from the future alluded to Justice League Crisis of Two Earths which was pretty cool. Also, in case you missed the other headline in the newspaper it mentioned the merger of Wayne Enterprises and Queen Industries. Now that is obviously a throwaway reference since we know we won't see Batman in this series or the Justice League for that matter. However, still pretty cool to see a reference.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not bad for a start but the pilot felt rushed. Some interesting things. First off I have no idea where the last scene will take the show but it was sort of a brilliant twist that opens the overall story of the Flash into a series long mystery. Sort of smart IMO because it gives the show a subplot and many possibilities.

Okay so Harrison Wells is obviously faking his injury and he appears to be from the future or working with someone from the future. He appears to be the catalyst for creating the Flash. Also, some interesting things in case you missed it. The newspaper from the future alluded to Justice League Crisis of Two Earths which was pretty cool. Also, in case you missed the other headline in the newspaper it mentioned the merger of Wayne Enterprises and Queen Industries. Now that is obviously a throwaway reference since we know we won't see Batman in this series or the Justice League for that matter. However, still pretty cool to see a reference.

I'm pretty surprised they got to even mention Wayne Enterprises here. Figured FOX owned the rights to all things Batman with Gotham on the air.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Gotham is a Warner Bros. produced show and DC Comics isn't as strict as Marvel is with their properties.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
By the way....including John Wesley Shipp was really cool. Especially, if you were a fan of the older series.

I rewatched this with my son and noticed a few more things. I think this was a total misdirection but during the Flashback when Barry's mother died Barry's father grab his arm before he was whisked away. I think it's a misdirection because we all know the actor played the Flash in the previous incarnation of the Flash.

So who was the "Flash" like character?

************POSSIBLE MAJOR SPOILERS BELOW*****************

I think it's Professor Zoom/Reverse Flash who is a nemesis with similar powers in the comics. The question is who is that?

The series has messed with names similar to Green Arrow. I think this is on purpose to keep fans guessing and to provide some surprises to even the comic book fans.

Is it Harrison Wells? Maybe. I don't think it's his real name. I think Wells is a reference to HG Wells because of the time travel aspect. He could be the Reverse-Flash but he appears to be determined to see Barry succeed not fail. There is a character in the comics called Cobalt Blue who is Barry's long lost twin brother. Maybe that's who Wells really is from the future. It could also be a front for a much longer term plan and he could be the bad guy.

HOWEVER, Detective Eddie Thawne has a name similar to two characters in this universe. Eobard Thawne who was the Reverse Flash and Malcom Thawne who was Barry's twin brother (Cobalt Blue). I did find it interesting that Eddie's character just happened to be in the Alley to help Barry out of nowhere. Plus he mentioned he followed Barry's blog or something. It could be Eddie is really the one looking out for Barry from the future. Again, he could be the one really looking out for Barry or it could be another misdirection and Eddie is the bad guy.

One of them, in my opinion, is Colbalt Blue and the other the Reverse Flash. I think they both traveled back in time, one to change the past and the other to protect it. One was going to kill Barry and his family and the other whisked Barry away to safety.

There could also be some other possibilities because of the reference to Justice League Crisis on Two Earth which deals with a parallel universe. In that, I believe there is a character called Johnny Quick which is the evil version of the Flash which is part of the Crime Syndicate of Amerika. They might be able to get away with using them without the Justice League in this series but I simply don't think they go there even with the reference to the parallel universe via the last scene in the pilot. It seems more likely for them to stick to the Time Travel aspect.

Which leads me to my last version. In that paper from the future Barry goes missing after the "crisis" events. That could indicate he traveled back to the past or the parallel universe. I think again, more likely the past. Which means that Wells could be really Barry from the future? Maybe he followed the Reverse-Flash back to stop him.

Bottom line is there are so many possibilities....I really have no clue. LOL.

Last edited:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watching Arrow, so just started watching Flash. I like both shows, very fun.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flash is pretty dang good. It's just much fun!

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
This series is god awful, if anyone watched the bee episode it is just ridiculous.

1. Oh a laptop? Let me hack for 20 sec and I get any information you need.
2. The flash getting toppled by a swarm of bees repeatedly..

The Flash is just full of loop holes, he could just knock out any threat before they react instead he stops to talk and then runs from a swarm of bees and apparently is powerless?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Obviously you have not been watching the show. Yes, I thought the Bee thing is ridiculous but it's also because some of the comic book scenarios were equally ridiculous and they are trying to put some of that stuff in there.

Aside from the occasional thing like that, the show has been pretty damn good.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, another cool twist in the last episode. Question:

So...at the end when they are seeing the surveillance footage that Dr. Wells was using.....that was Gideon still intact right?

Does that mean the team has control over Starlabs and Gideon now? If that is the case, that could have some huge implications in terms of their capabilities and probable screwing up of the timeline.

Thoughts?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This series is god awful, if anyone watched the bee episode it is just ridiculous.

1. Oh a laptop? Let me hack for 20 sec and I get any information you need.
2. The flash getting toppled by a swarm of bees repeatedly..

The Flash is just full of loop holes, he could just knock out any threat before they react instead he stops to talk and then runs from a swarm of bees and apparently is powerless?

Jealous.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The next episode should be a good one. I am guessing that somehow the RF allows all the criminals to escape to keep Barry occupied so he can execute the "real" plan. Now that everything is in the open, I am wondering how that changes things and his plans for Barry.

Did anybody else catch Gideo saying "you are a founding member of"? Ha.....Gideon was going to say Justice League.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Arrowverse is coming to an end. The last of the Arrowverse shows is scheduled to end in 2023 (13 Episodes) after 9 seasons. No matter what you think of the shows, the Arrowverse run on CW was one hell of a run.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The Arrowverse is coming to an end. The last of the Arrowverse shows is scheduled to end in 2023 (13 Episodes) after 9 seasons. No matter what you think of the shows, the Arrowverse run on CW was one hell of a run.

Isn't Gotham Knights part of the same universe? What about Superman & Lois?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't Gotham Knights part of the same universe? What about Superman & Lois?
Superman & Lois revealed that it's an alternate universe in the season finale and not part of the Arrowverse. The Superman we see isn't the same version we had seen previously in the Arrowverse. I also read despite earlier rumors Gotham Nights also isn't part of the Arrowverse either.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Superman & Lois revealed that it's an alternate universe in the season finale and not part of the Arrowverse. The Superman we see isn't the same version we had seen previously in the Arrowverse. I also read despite earlier rumors Gotham Nights also isn't part of the Arrowverse either.
Ah, I gave up on the Arrowverse after the 2nd or 3rd crossover event since I wasn't watching all those shows at the same time. Used to enjoy both Arrow and The Flash back in the day though.