Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Revolution Studios Enters The Fog
Source: Variety
October 28, 2004

Revolution Studios has acquired rights to remake 1980 John Carpenter horror film The Fog, reports Variety. The Core and The Emperor's Club writer Cooper Layne will pen the script. Debra Hill and Carpenter, who wrote the original, will produce the remake with David Foster.

The original movie was set in Northern California, where a thick fog enshrouds the coastline. The fog is reminiscent of one 100 years before that wrecked a ship and drowned the seamen aboard. Sure enough, those salty dogs are back, mighty angry and out to kill whomever they find.

The Fog is forecast for a February production start.

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
Revolution Studios Enters The Fog
Source: Variety
October 28, 2004

Revolution Studios has acquired rights to remake 1980 John Carpenter horror film The Fog, reports Variety. The Core and The Emperor's Club writer Cooper Layne will pen the script. Debra Hill and Carpenter, who wrote the original, will produce the remake with David Foster.

The original movie was set in Northern California, where a thick fog enshrouds the coastline. The fog is reminiscent of one 100 years before that wrecked a ship and drowned the seamen aboard. Sure enough, those salty dogs are back, mighty angry and out to kill whomever they find.

The Fog is forecast for a February production start.

I really hope John Carpenter doesn't remake The Thing. That movie was awesome- leave it alone.

John Carpenter is really one of the most overrated people in the horror genre. He made three really good films: Halloween, The Thing, and Escape from New York and that's it. I think he made the Prince of Darkness, but that was just a decent film.

For the last 20 years he's been making crap: Ghost on Mars(or something like that, with Ice Cube), Bodybags, etc.

I might be missing something else that he made that was good, but I doubt it.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Fog gets director
Source: Variety/Joblo.com

Looking to ensure the film is ready for Halloween 2005, Revolution Studios has already set their director for the planned remake of John Carpenter's The Fog.

The studio has signed Rupert Wainright to step behind the camera for a March start date. Wainwright is best known for Stigmata.

He won over Revolution with a take on the film that would be faithful to the original while expanding on some of its ideas.

The Fog is set for an October 21st release date with Saw 2 also looking at that date.

Another John Carpenter remake, Assault On Precinct 13, is due for release this February from Rogue Pictures.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welling and Grace Encounter The Fog
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
February 20, 2005

Tom Welling (The WB's Smallville) and Maggie Grace (ABC's Lost) will star in the remake of John Carpenter's classic horror thriller The Fog for Revolution Studios, says The Hollywood Reporter.

Rupert Wainwright is directing the film, which Cooper Layne is penning from the screenplay written by Hill and Carpenter for the original 1980 film.

In the film, there really is something out there in the dark. One hundred years ago, in a thick, eerie fog off the rocky coast of Northern California, a horrible shipwreck occured under mysterious circumstances. Now, shrouded in darkness, the ghosts of the long-dead sailors have returned from their watery graves to exact their bloody, merciless revenge.

Welling will play a local boat owner who never left the town, and Grace will portray a college girl who is back in her hometown for the summer.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Oran said:
I really hope John Carpenter doesn't remake The Thing. That movie was awesome- leave it alone.

John Carpenter is really one of the most overrated people in the horror genre. He made three really good films: Halloween, The Thing, and Escape from New York and that's it. I think he made the Prince of Darkness, but that was just a decent film.

For the last 20 years he's been making crap: Ghost on Mars(or something like that, with Ice Cube), Bodybags, etc.

I might be missing something else that he made that was good, but I doubt it.
I liked his 1998 film Vampires with James Woods and They Live is great in a cult classic/campy sort of way.

Roddy Piper: "I'm here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum." :biglaugh:

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interview from ComingSoon.net

John Carpenter on The Fog
Source: Heather Newgen
May 5, 2005

John Carpenter has been scaring up audiences for decades with his films such as Halloween, The Thing, and The Fog, which is currently being remade. His vision and understanding of the horror genre combined with his dark cinematography style and impeccable timing for making moviegoers jump has made him a prolific director thus creating an enormous cult following of his work.

ComingSoon.net caught up with Carpenter on the set of The Fog in Vancouver, Canada and talked to us about casting younger Hollywood stars, why he doesn't want to direct this film, and why it's time to remake his 1980's hit.

Why remake The Fog?
John Carpenter: Why not? If everybody else is making remakes and they want to pay me money to make a remake of an old movie of mine why not? It's a good idea. Seriously that's part of the answer, but my ex-partner, Debra Hill, who just recently died, had been trying to get this off the ground. We hooked up with David [Foster] here who did finally get it off the ground and it was kind of nice for her to see this being made.

Can you talk about the key differences between this version of The Fog and the 1980 version?
Carpenter: The styles are different. The actors are different. The director is different. It's essentially the same story with some basic changes in it. Its fog, ghosts.

Any of those changes you can talk about?
Carpenter: I have been sworn to secrecy in that matter.

Why did you decide to hand over this to another director instead of remaking it yourself?
Carpenter: I don't want to remake this. I mean I did it once. This was not my favorite experience of my own career making The Fog. It was difficult. We had to go back and fix it once we shot it. I've done this one. Let some younger person do it.

What's your role in this production?
Carpenter: I'm producer of it. I come say hello to everybody and then go home.

Given the inconsistent success of recent remakes of horror movies, was there anything you were insistent remain from the original or insistent they change to update it?
Carpenter: In the case of The Fog, it's a pretty fire proof idea in terms of what happens. It's a ghost story. The idea in this case is to freshen it up. There's a cultural mindset these days, that says anything over fifteen years is old-fashioned and old school. But we've sort of heard of it. The audience has maybe heard of it. So the thing to do is take it out and prop it up. Put some fresh coat of paint on it and see if it goes.

The original Fog didn't really skew younger the way this version does. What do you think has changed in the world of horror since the original Fog came out and where you have Tom Welling now instead of Tom Atkins?
Carpenter: It's a different era. That was 1979. I mean it's just a whole different time now. We didn't have the internet. Thank God we didn't have computer generated graphics and the whole celebrity showbiz thing was different. It was a different time. Horror movie and science fiction use to be portrayed with older folks. A little more mature I should say.

David Foster, a producer on the film elaborated:
We hired a lot of young actors too which was a very specific plan. Tom Welling is really popular with the young people. Lost [Maggie Grace] is a very popular series with all kinds of people. And then there's Selma [Blair] who's also young, but she's not a television star. She's sort of glued to the young people. It was a very calculated thing. These pictures fail or succeed based on young people going to the movies and mostly young girls. It's amazing".

Were there creative solutions you had to find to bring across the horror you wanted [because of the PG-13 rating]?
Carpenter: I'm just a producer on this. I just sit home and watch basketball games on TV. These guys go out and make this movie. It's designed to be a PG-13 film. Horror has really changed a lot. It used to be a lot much more hard core. Today it's drifting towards PG-13 and you know getting girls in and girls don't like yucky stuff, you know what I mean.

Did you have any final say on the script?
Carpenter: I read it. I liked it. But, you know the script evolves. It keeps changing as you make a movie. Look my whole philosophy is that it's a director's film. It's not my film. I made my film back then when I was young and happy. This is a new director and he's bringing his vision and his sensibilities and I have a real hard time telling anyone else what to do or interfering in his vision. It's his movie.

Sony Pictures' The Fog is scheduled for an October 14 release

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least this remake has a cool poster. :cool: :D

Attachments

• fog.jpg