The future of the Coyotes franchise...

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FFS, does it get any less ceremonious than this?

HISTORY OF THE COYOTES FRANCHISE IN ARIZONA​

On January 19, 1996, the NHL’s Board of Governors approved the sale of the Winnipeg Jets and the club's relocation to Arizona. The Coyotes made their debut in 1996-97, the first of 27 NHL seasons in the Valley.

On April 18, 2024, the NHL’s Board of Governors approved a plan that renders the Arizona Coyotes franchise inactive, with a right to reactivate if owner Alex Meruelo has fully constructed a new, state-of-the-art facility appropriate for an NHL team within five years.

In addition, the Board of Governors approved the establishment of a franchise beginning with the 2024-25 season in Utah. The Coyotes transferred the totality of their existing hockey assets – including their full Reserve List, roster of Players, draft picks and its Hockey Operations Department – to the Utah franchise.

(below is my old Yotes website shortcut= https: // www. nhl. com /coyotes/ )

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wonder if Ishbia had been in place during the Footprint remodel, could the Coyotes have moved in with the Suns again. Perhaps Footprint just doesn't have the "footprint" to house a rink without obstruction regardless of renovation. I don't know.

I also wonder if the Phoenix area will be able to get access to Utah or Golden Knights broadcasts since we no longer have a team.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I recall, they pulled the ice-plant out of Footprint years ago and they would have to do a real number to renovate that side of the arena with the big overhang that blocked the view of one of the goals. I think our next big hope would probably be trying to jump in on the next Suns arena when that comes up in a few years. Not feeling especially hopeful at the moment, however.

Back when Meruelo first sold, it was floated that the Phoenix market is now open to receive broadcasts from both the teams you mentioned. Just depends on if LV or Utah feel it's worth negotiating with a local broadcaster to deliver games to this market via TV. Who knows what happens with the deal the Yotes had with Scripps. There shouldn't be anything stopping them from offering access to their respective team Internet apps, though, either paid or otherwise.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Alex Meruelo cared about hockey in the Valley, or the fans, he wouldn't be walking away so quickly. Tempe didn't pass the vote and this land deal fell through, but if he was a passionate owner who cared about the area and its fans, he'd be out in front of this saying that he was looking into any and all paths to an arena in the 5 year-period he was given by the NHL. He sold the team, cashed in, and the first time something didn't go hi way, he backs away. Get this loser out of here and never let him near a sports franchise ever again.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
If Alex Meruelo cared about hockey in the Valley, or the fans, he wouldn't be walking away so quickly. Tempe didn't pass the vote and this land deal fell through, but if he was a passionate owner who cared about the area and its fans, he'd be out in front of this saying that he was looking into any and all paths to an arena in the 5 year-period he was given by the NHL. He sold the team, cashed in, and the first time something didn't go hi way, he backs away. Get this loser out of here and never let him near a sports franchise ever again.
He got paid on the sale and didn't care enough about being an owner or being part of the club to figure out what is a somewhat complex, but very attainable, path.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whichever ownership group comes in and takes over to get something done for a future Coyotes franchise return to Arizona is likely going to have to consider getting it built on reservation land so it can be done quickly and without a public vote. The public has shown they will vote down projects out here, even viable ones.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As I recall, they pulled the ice-plant out of Footprint years ago and they would have to do a real number to renovate that side of the arena with the big overhang that blocked the view of one of the goals. I think our next big hope would probably be trying to jump in on the next Suns arena when that comes up in a few years. Not feeling especially hopeful at the moment, however.

Back when Meruelo first sold, it was floated that the Phoenix market is now open to receive broadcasts from both the teams you mentioned. Just depends on if LV or Utah feel it's worth negotiating with a local broadcaster to deliver games to this market via TV. Who knows what happens with the deal the Yotes had with Scripps. There shouldn't be anything stopping them from offering access to their respective team Internet apps, though, either paid or otherwise.
You'd think Utah would want to try to keep a portion of the original fan base engaged, but Vegas makes a lot of sense too.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any new ownership group coming in is going to want something like the proposed Tempe deal where they have control of the place they play and can also profit from the surrounding retail development including shopping, hotels, restaurants, etc. They aren't going to want to go in with some other owner or sports franchise and dilute their profitability.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'd think Utah would want to try to keep a portion of the original fan base engaged, but Vegas makes a lot of sense too.

I would have to think they've both inquired with the local stations or vice versa. Utah has a lot on their plate with the compressed schedule to do, well everything, but I would think someone has considered it. Vegas might see an opening as well.

Nobody is doing it for their health or as a gesture of goodwill, though, so as always money will do most of the talking. What will the corporate and local business support look like?

Some fans considered it a(nother) slap in the face when the rumors came out of the Utah games possibly being shown in the Phoenix market, but who knows how many people really feel that way verses Internet loudmouths. Probably fair to say it's going to be less eyeballs than it was over time just because how long can you stay interested in the team when you lose all local ties?

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any new ownership group coming in is going to want something like the proposed Tempe deal where they have control of the place they play and can also profit from the surrounding retail development including shopping, hotels, restaurants, etc. They aren't going to want to go in with some other owner or sports franchise and dilute their profitability.

True. I really hope our boy Matt starts getting courted (heh) by the NHL at some point. Seems like the best option all around to house them together and reap all the benefits you mention in one nice, neat package. Less headwinds that way too, because you won't have so many competing venues.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing left to do but laugh, I guess.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nothing left to do but laugh, I guess.

They got that idea from Annie Agar, who has been doing these kind of videos for many years.

Chris_Sanders

Turbo Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whichever ownership group comes in and takes over to get something done for a future Coyotes franchise return to Arizona is likely going to have to consider getting it built on reservation land so it can be done quickly and without a public vote. The public has shown they will vote down projects out here, even viable ones.

Right by Talking Stick makes a ton of sense. Put a real arena right next to Scottsdale