Suns 2024-2025 Season Discussions

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Now whether they CAN be coached on the same team is another question, but Bud did coach Giannis, Middleton and Jrue on the same team and they won the chip, so you can't write us off yet.
This is my biggest worry. Obviously we don't know much of what was happening behind the scenes, but Vogel himself kept saying we gotta shoot more 3s repeatedly over the year. This never happened, at least not at a consistent level, and there was grumblings about a mismatch in expectations between the coaches and players on that front.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Actually, I think the Suns were fortunate to lock up the 6th spot in the Western Conference to avoid the play-in teams last season. That was a high water mark. I'd settle for that again this season, but I hope for something more.

It's the playoffs where the Suns showed their true identity.
I'm not talking so much about that. I agree that those same results or better would be fine. I'm more talking about how frustrating the regular season was in spite of our decent record. All the fourth quarter melt downs. The frustrating ISO play. I just want a more consistent and less frustrating regular season. I'm hoping Bud can orchestrate that and that Vogel was the cause of many of our issues. I'm not expecting miracles. It is basically the same team with some tweaks. Our apron strings are tight. I just want to enjoy the season a lot more than I did last year. And hopefully a better and more competitive playoffs.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is my biggest worry. Obviously we don't know much of what was happening behind the scenes, but Vogel himself kept saying we gotta shoot more 3s repeatedly over the year. This never happened, at least not at a consistent level, and there was grumblings about a mismatch in expectations between the coaches and players on that front.

I'm not sure if a coach or rotation point guard can solve this problem if the players aren't buying into it and playing isolation basketball.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I'm not sure if a coach or rotation point guard can solve this problem if the players aren't buying into it and playing isolation basketball.
Our players aren't idiots, right? They are basketball junkies. They watched the Celtics win the championship with team basketball, not isolation basketball. I just refuse to believe that Durant and Booker insisted iso ball while the rest of the team sits around was the way to go.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our players aren't idiots, right? They are basketball junkies. They watched the Celtics win the championship with team basketball, not isolation basketball. I just refuse to believe that Durant and Booker insisted iso ball while the rest of the team sits around was the way to go.

This is true, but the Suns may need a true starting point guard to make this happen.

If healthy, I do think Monte Morris is capable of starting, but then that may put an unhappy Beal on the bench.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With Superstars anything is possible. However, because the team struggled at times on both ends and the offensive was so unimaginative. To me the screams overall schemes at both ends.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please, let the Suns create another roster spot for another point guard or a big man.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Kobe was a basketball junky and he watched Detroit dismantle the Lakers first hand. What did he do? Force the front office to get involved in his pissing match with Shaq and send Shaq to Miami while Kobe led the Lakers to first round defeats at best. Point is, being a basketball junky doesn't trump ego. We saw it repeatedly in the Spurs games, for example, when KD kept attacking Wemby. Didn't matter if it worked, failed, or what the score was. KD was more interested in showing up a rookie than winning. Ego always seems to get in the way.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Please, let the Suns create another roster spot for another point guard or a big man.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Cut Roddy sign Lowry/Fultz or Drummond/Saric/(gasp)Bridges and call it a day. I wouldn't mind doing something with Little, but it's going to be tough with his contract.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why bring back Lee? I mean, was all that PG training for Roddy for nothing? LOL, sorry I couldn't help myself there.

Maybe the Suns feel Roddy can't help the team but Lee can.

I would welcome a rotation of true point guards like Lowry and Morris.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes, and so is Roddy.

Agreed. Maybe, if we were not over the 2nd apron, Roddy and Little would have decent value as contract swaps, but since we cannot combine contracts in a trade, they're essentially worthless to us.

We have to make a decision on Roddy's 25/26 option before this coming season starts and I expect we will decline it... and should that happen he'd be high on the list of dudes who could get waived when we fill out the roster.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ok, let me make this more clear. I am fine with the signing of Morris, it's actually an above average signing for the minimum.

What I am really upset about is everyone acting like he is some major missing piece - the missing PG!

It's laughable. This team lives or dies on what we get from Beal and KD, both of which looked far from their usual selves last season and now they are one year older.

I am pissed at people still acting like this team can compete for the title with some insignificant roster moves and a coaching change. It's basically the same team as last year and that team was MILES away from a top tier team.

I understand most fans don't want to admit their team sucks, but I have a major problem that Ishbia and company can't and won't admit it and I am just spewing that anger here.

He is a piece though, no one said he was a major missing piece.

Plumlee is better than Eubanks in vacuum. Gordon gone makes us better. Lee is a push but I never liked Lee. Morris is a positive signing like Plumlee.

New coach means new schemes on both ends of the floors. Last years team was awful to watch I'll admit that, there was nothing pretty about it. This year hopefully things will be more fluid.

My biggest thing is Nurk, he sucks, I harped on him all season and still think he's just a team killer when it comes to team defense. That is the biggest hole right now imo.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well, Morris is the missing point guard, although I would have welcomed another. I wanted a rotation point guard to help rest Booker especially in the 4th quarter. Also, I'm still concerned about depth at center because of concern for injury and lack of athleticism there.

However, contending for a title is another subject. That's a reach unless the Suns make a trade down the road or a rookie unexpectedly blossoms.
I thought the Colin xxx(last name?) signing was a pg? He's not?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is a piece though, no one said he was a major missing piece.

Plumlee is better than Eubanks in vacuum. Gordon gone makes us better. Lee is a push but I never liked Lee. Morris is a positive signing like Plumlee.

New coach means new schemes on both ends of the floors. Last years team was awful to watch I'll admit that, there was nothing pretty about it. This year hopefully things will be more fluid.

My biggest thing is Nurk, he sucks, I harped on him all season and still think he's just a team killer when it comes to team defense. That is the biggest hole right now imo.

I don't see a lot of daylight between Nurkic and Plumlee. Neither are very athletic, especially at this stage of their careers.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is true, but the Suns may need a true starting point guard to make this happen.

If healthy, I do think Monte Morris is capable of starting, but then that may put an unhappy Beal on the bench.
If he is unhappy, he can waive his no trade clause. The point is to compete. There is no point in keeping players happy at that expense.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we should hold tight right now and get a look at this team. Leave some room for a move, signing etc, after we get a clear picture. At least wait until after the summer league.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he is unhappy, he can waive his no trade clause. The point is to compete. There is no point in keeping players happy at that expense.

These things take trade partners and would have to be agreeable to Beal. The Suns do not need an unhappy star caliber player.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Beal was the only guy who seemed to change his game to fit the team than force his style of play on the team. He was a consummate professional last year. You don't pay that back by ticking him off. He showed play making abilities last year. Let him continue to do that. Outside of trading him for either Ben Simmons or Zach LaVine, there's not much of a market for him either. I think Miami might bite but that involves taking Herro back, which is almost as bad as LaVine or Simmons.

clyde2tw

All Star
Reaction score
Sometimes I suspect that the mgmt only looked at the stats but how they actually played before they signed those min contract including Damion's last offseason. That explains why almost all of them failed which partially ruined our season. Damion was visiually shying away from a lot of open 3s and drove for nothing instead, maybe to just keep his 3pt % high to improve his summer break contract chances. He is no playable if he consistently does that.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Damion Lee might be the perfect fit offensively in Bud's offense, which is predicated on shooting a lot of 3 pointers.
He damn well better be, otherwise his roster spot is a total waste for a second consecutive year. He literally brings nothing else to the table.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stbmd