The future of the Phoenix Suns

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just starting with what we know, and then working the logical steps from there.

Absolute lock: Devin Booker is the future starting shooting guard. He is now. If Knight comes back and takes that role, it will only be temporary (it shouldn't happen at all.)

Therefore: The two pg (combo guard) idea is inevitably dead. Knight or Bledsoe will be traded, or one will come of the bench. The likely candidate is Knight. Both could be traded in favor of a more traditional distributing pg. Such a guard could come through the draft or through trade.

Result: It might make sense to wait until after the draft to decide the fate of Bledsoe or Knight.

Absolute lock: Markieff Morris is not part of our future. So I am not going to talk about him except to say that there is a huge hole at the starting PF slot.

Almost certainty: Alex Len is the future starting center of the Phoenix Suns. I know some would disagree here, but there is no other candidate. There is no one in the draft that would take his spot either. Tyson Chandler will eventually fade back into a backup role unless he is traded.

Therefore: Don't expect big changes at the 5 unless something surprising happens with a Kieff, Tele trade here at the deadline.

Somewhat likely:
TJ Warren is the future starting sf for the Suns. This is likely to happen unless the draft changes things. Should the Suns draft Ingram, he immediately slides ahead of TJ who goes into super sub role or gets traded.

So, the most immediate needs:

1. A star player at any position except SG.
2. A star level pf, or at least a starting caliber pf.
3. A distributing pg who can also shoot or defend or both. He has to be able to do at least two of the three.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Almost certainty: Alex Len is the future starting center of the Phoenix Suns. I know some would disagree here, but there is no other candidate. There is no one in the draft that would take his spot either. Tyson Chandler will eventually fade back into a backup role unless he is traded.

I agree with your backup sentences, but not your lead. Len may go through a period of being the "starting center" by default -- in fact he has already -- but I think it's a long way from likely that he becomes a starting center in the true sense of the word. What's more likely is that the Suns will do center-by-committee, including small ball, until they get someone who can legitimately hold down the slot.

1. A star player at any position except SG.
2. A star level pf, or at least a starting caliber pf.
3. A distributing pg who can also shoot or defend or both. He has to be able to do at least two of the three.

Center is a bigger need than PG, even assuming that one of Bledsoe/Knight is sent away. If they keep Bledsoe and he gets hurt yet again, then it's a problem. But a healthy group of Bledsoe/Booker/Warren/realPF/realC should be pretty competitive.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree with your backup sentences, but not your lead. Len may go through a period of being the "starting center" by default -- in fact he has already -- but I think it's a long way from likely that he becomes a starting center in the true sense of the word. What's more likely is that the Suns will do center-by-committee, including small ball, until they get someone who can legitimately hold down the slot.

Center is a bigger need than PG, even assuming that one of Bledsoe/Knight is sent away. If they keep Bledsoe and he gets hurt yet again, then it's a problem. But a healthy group of Bledsoe/Booker/Warren/realPF/realC should be pretty competitive.

I can see the need at center if Len fails to develop. I think with Chandler and Len, that position can be held down now pretty well. There are very few lead centers in the league today. Most are big rim protector/rebounder types. I guess it depends on which way the team goes first.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I still just don't see the high ceiling for Len. I really doubt he is the center of the future; unless we're going to settle for a guy who is somewhere between solid backup and poor starter, which is possible.

He has two fundamental problems that are rarely fixed. He seems to have poor instincts, as in he just doesn't understand where to go and how to move around on the court effectively and he does not have much of a "motor", he vanishes for long stretches and is very passive for the majority of his minutes.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I still just don't see the high ceiling for Len. I really doubt he is the center of the future; unless we're going to settle for a guy who is somewhere between solid backup and poor starter, which is possible.

He has two fundamental problems that are rarely fixed. He seems to have poor instincts, as in he just doesn't understand where to go and how to move around on the court effectively and he does not have much of a "motor", he vanishes for long stretches and is very passive for the majority of his minutes.

Have you noticed that Chandler does that vanishing act now too, when he did not do that with other teams? I believe that one of Len's major problems is poor, selfish guard play. Now, with a good distributing pg, he might do the same thing, but we don't know for sure yet.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Have you noticed that Chandler does that vanishing act now too, when he did not do that with other teams? I believe that one of Len's major problems is poor, selfish guard play. Now, with a good distributing pg, he might do the same thing, but we don't know for sure yet.

Len did it in college too, the stuff I'm questioning now were the same questions people had about him before the draft. And Chandler tends to get lost in the shuffle on offense, his rebounding rates are the same as most of his career. Len vanishes entirely.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I think a distributing PG is the first priority because without one we have a hard time judging the rest of the players and the overall team. Trade Knight, move Bled to backup point/6th man role. If we get a better SF than TJ, let TJ back up SF and SG - I think he may well fare better at SG.

I still have quite high hopes for Len - I don't have faith that our coaching staff did a good job with him. Obviously the light hasn't come on but I'd start him - alongside Chandler, if necessary - and play him all the minutes he can physically handle. His offensive game is a little more suited to PF now than C, and it may grow even more that direction - and playing alongside Chandler will give us a better idea of where he's best.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like the idea of playing him at pf, especially if Kieff gets traded, but even if not.

The great thing about Booker going forward is that while he is effective he is also an unselfish player. Other players will want to play along g side him.

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

Any Len and Chandler is solid enough to keep the center position.

We don't need to make moves now, they might not be great but servicable and we can afford to wait on Len developing more. I don't think we can afford to put more ressources into the center position than what we already have. Center might be the least important position in the NBA right now, certainly it is the least flexible position as PGs can usually play minutes at the 2, many 2s can play minutes at the 3 and some even at the 1, many 3s can play minutes at the 4, many 4s can play minutes at the 5 but almost no center can play minutes at other positions.

I mean per36 he is still averaging 13/12 almost. He needs to foul less and play more consistent then those numbers would go up a decent amount still.

It is pretty clear that the Suns need more talent at the forward positions. Warren and Morris are the only really talented forwards that the Suns have, that is not enough especially with the Morris situation and in a league where power forwards often slide to the 5 and small forwards slide to the 4.

Also a stable backup PG would be something the Suns need, someone better than Price.

Len/Chandler
(Morris)/???/???
Warren/Tucker
Booker/Knight/Bogdan/Goodwin
Bledsoe/??

If I am not mistaken these are the players under contract for next season and what I would describe as our core players and I think we need to look at moving Knight, Morris, Tucker and maybe Goodwin if the value is good.

Last edited:

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I agree we should move Knight, Morris and Tucker but I don't want to give up on Goodwin just yet. (Bogdan before Archie in depth chart??)

If he gets consistent PT as a bench player subbing before freaking Price and Weems, and performs well for the rest of the season, he could turn into a very good rotation player. He's only 21 and this has been his first real playing experience.

Off course when BK comes back there will be less passing and team play so I still think we will lose (thankfully), but it will be less entertaining to watch the games with BK and Price on the floor and Archie on the bench.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score

With BK and Price back Len and Chandler will disappear so we won't know anything more than we do today. I think Len will make strides next year. In my opinion the biggest need is losing, getting a PF and trading Knight (or even Bledsoe).

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Absolute Lock: The suns will suck for years to come

Absolute Lock: The suns have no direction right now and traded away a great pick from the Lakers to rebuild

If I didn't know better I'd think Rod Graves and Bill Bidwill have taken over that team.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Absolute Lock: The suns will suck for years to come

Absolute Lock: The suns have no direction right now and traded away a great pick from the Lakers to rebuild

If I didn't know better I'd think Rod Graves and Bill Bidwill have taken over that team.

The Lakers pick isn't as valuable as you think.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You know, Sarver was becoming buds with Rich Paul during a game a few weeks ago. Think he was laying hints about LeBron should Cleveland lay an egg in the off-season.

Draft Ingram. Sign Lebron. There we go.

Len/Chandler
LeBron/Humphries/Tele
Ingram/Warren
Booker/Knight
Bledsoe/Price

Hey. Just sayin' never know with LeBron.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know, Sarver was becoming buds with Rich Paul during a game a few weeks ago. Think he was laying hints about LeBron should Cleveland lay an egg in the off-season.

Draft Ingram. Sign Lebron. There we go.

Len/Chandler
LeBron/Humphries/Tele
Ingram/Warren
Booker/Knight
Bledsoe/Price

Hey. Just sayin' never know with LeBron.

And I'm still thinking the Suns were going to sign Aldridge. :)

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So. McD is going after someone in free agency. You can count on it. Who will it be?

I am guessing its going to be Whiteside. Miami has not played him much in the 4th quarter this year. I am not sure they will retain him even if they clear the space to.

Wide open opportunity. He is a bit quirky. He leaves his man too much to get blocks, but his numbers are astronomical. He is a game changer. Not trying to make a case for it, just trying to guess what McD will do.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
So. McD is going after someone in free agency. You can count on it. Who will it be?

I am guessing its going to be Whiteside. Miami has not played him much in the 4th quarter this year. I am not sure they will retain him even if they clear the space to.

Wide open opportunity. He is a bit quirky. He leaves his man too much to get blocks, but his numbers are astronomical. He is a game changer. Not trying to make a case for it, just trying to guess what McD will do.

I would be OK with Whiteside. As you said, he is a game-changer. He is an outstanding defender, rebounder, and shot-blocker, but he can also score in the post and he can even hit an open jumper most of the time. Len would need to go, most likely, which shouldn't be too difficult.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm having problems liking the UFAs. Maybe the Suns go after Ryan Anderson or surprise with Al Horford. The thing is, many NBA teams are going to have money to spend so free agents can be more picky.

Maybe Terrence Jones would be more realistic.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Short term contracts for mediocre free agents like Jones.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Short term contracts for mediocre free agents like Jones.

That's the key- overpay if you need to, but do not commit long-term. Everyone is going to have cap space next summer, most will have it next summer, but it will even out eventually, and cap space will become important.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The real mistakes this summer will be made with the second tier players. Better to come up empty than get stuck with a problem player.

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I would be OK with Whiteside. As you said, he is a game-changer. He is an outstanding defender, rebounder, and shot-blocker, but he can also score in the post and he can even hit an open jumper most of the time. Len would need to go, most likely, which shouldn't be too difficult.

Why has Miami soured on him?

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Why has Miami soured on him?

I don't follow them at all so I'm sure there's more to it but I know that it's at least in part financial. There are no Bird rights in play for him so they have to find a way to make it work inside the cap and they already have a lot of big salaries tied up.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiev22