The future of the Phoenix Suns

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Why don't we wait to see who the player who is conveyed with that pick before judging it? Then it may take years to know.

I thought we're talking about right now. Right now that pick is much more valuable than a $70 million Brandon Knight.

Errntknght

Reaction score
what is the status of the pick now... what protection do they have on it?. If its top 5 or less protected then they'd be at some risk of giving it up this year if we manage get below them in the standings...

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
what is the status of the pick now... what protection do they have on it?. If its top 5 or less protected then they'd be at some risk of giving it up this year if we manage get below them in the standings...

It's top 3 protected until 2018 draft and then it becomes unprotected.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
The likeliness of someone drafted #4 this draft actually being better than Brandon Knight anytime soon is very slim.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The likeliness of someone drafted #4 this draft actually being better than Brandon Knight anytime soon is very slim.

Brandon Knight played pretty well for about 4 weeks this season. If you're talking about that Knight, I agree with you. Especially with the "anytime soon" disclaimer. But the Knight we've seen the rest of the time has been very replaceable and I'd rather have a top 10 pick in a weak draft than him. Hopefully the really bad Brandon is gone to stay if/when he's healthy. But if someone offered me the number 4 pick in this draft, I'd trade him in a heartbeat even knowing it might not be an upgrade for a few years.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Only top 3 protected... they'll be sweating it when they play us so they'll be doing their best to lose. The worst of it is that based on the last ten games we are still the better team statistically. They're better than us offensively, but defensively they're worse and by a larger margin. Of course it will come down to which players both put on the floor.

With the 2 games home and away and the teams closely matched a split is the most likely outcome by a good margin - and we basically have to lose both to have any chance of getting the second slot going into the lottery.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Only top 3 protected... they'll be sweating it when they play us so they'll be doing their best to lose. The worst of it is that based on the last ten games we are still the better team statistically. They're better than us offensively, but defensively they're worse and by a larger margin. Of course it will come down to which players both put on the floor.

With the 2 games home and away and the teams closely matched a split is the most likely outcome by a good margin - and we basically have to lose both to have any chance of getting the second slot going into the lottery.

You could argue that the Lakers have more of a reason to tank than anyone. They could lose their pick altogether if the win too many.

As far as Brandon Knight. He has the talent to be a very, very good player in this league. He can score and shoot with almost anyone. He is NOT a pg. When he plays in that position, his entire game suffers. In that case, he has no other guard to set him up, so he has to manufacture his own shots all the time. He can get his own shot, but not all the time. Playing him as a pg really showed flaws. He would be best playing alongside a big, distrubuting, defensive, pg--maybe someone like Rubio or Rondo. The pairing with Bledsoe would probably be OK if Bledsoe was a better distributor.

As far as whether the Laker pick or Knight is worth more? -- it depends on who is buying and what their needs are. If you have a contending team that needs what Knight has--then Knight is definitely worth more that the gamble of a pick. For a rebuilding team, they are hoping they can get more out of the player they pick there than what Knight offers. They would probably be satisfied with that, but they want the chance for the big star.

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Much rather have the pick even if we didn't get it this year. Brandon Knight scores lots of points on lots of shots and plays mediocre defense. I don't look at him as a franchise cornerstone.

The key to the Suns success is getting the most out of Eric Bledsoe. I dunno if that's hiring D'Antoni or what but the most important factor is his health. If he goes down again next year then we can put the D-Rose label on him.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Much rather have the pick even if we didn't get it this year. Brandon Knight scores lots of points on lots of shots and plays mediocre defense. I don't look at him as a franchise cornerstone.

The key to the Suns success is getting the most out of Eric Bledsoe. I dunno if that's hiring D'Antoni or what but the most important factor is his health. If he goes down again next year then we can put the D-Rose label on him.

Nobody thinks Knight is a franchise player. Also, D'Antoni is possibly the worst possible coach for Bledsoe. Remember- Bledsoe doesn't like to run and prefers to walk the ball up the court.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Nobody thinks Knight is a franchise player. Also, D'Antoni is possibly the worst possible coach for Bledsoe. Remember- Bledsoe doesn't like to run and prefers to walk the ball up the court.

That's why he's the perfect coach for him. He's a nightmare in transition. Why is mini-Lebron walking up the court?

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That's why he's the perfect coach for him. He's a nightmare in transition. Why is mini-Lebron walking up the court?

It's a mystery to me. But I don't follow your logic. It seems to me that Knight would be a better point guard in D'antoni's offense than Bledsoe. Actually, it seems to me that just about any point guard would be better than Eric in a full court, quick shoot, offense.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
It's a mystery to me. But I don't follow your logic. It seems to me that Knight would be a better point guard in D'antoni's offense than Bledsoe. Actually, it seems to me that just about any point guard would be better than Eric in a full court, quick shoot, offense.

Why? He's perfect for it. He can penetrate far better than Knight and finish. He was doing it at will before he got injured in 2014. Why he stopped idk. Maybe a combination of injuries and changing teammates around him.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Tyr5JlydgCk

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why? He's perfect for it. He can penetrate far better than Knight and finish. He was doing it at will before he got injured in 2014. Why he stopped idk. Maybe a combination of injuries and changing teammates around him.

I actually agree with this. Bledsoe would be so much more effective if he would push the ball more. He doesn't have to be Nash, he just needs to push it like Nash did. Nash kept defenses honest with his shooting. Bledsoe can do it by going to the rim.

I have a couple of theories as to why he doesn't push it as much. Bledsoe puts out more energy on defense than Nash did. So by the time the offense gets the ball, he is gassed.

Second idea. His knees hurt if he puts that kind of pressure on them all game.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

No, he wasn't. Jeff was on him regularly for not pushing the tempo as were most of us on this board. Goran did but Eric rarely pushed it. It was great when he did but he'd always revert to walking it up. But I get what you're saying now. We're at opposite ends about what he's done in the past but I agree, he'd be much more effective if he were willing to push the tempo regularly.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
No, he wasn't. Jeff was on him regularly for not pushing the tempo as were most of us on this board. Goran did but Eric rarely pushed it. It was great when he did but he'd always revert to walking it up. But I get what you're saying now. We're at opposite ends about what he's done in the past but I agree, he'd be much more effective if he were willing to push the tempo regularly.

He was attacking the cup constantly. Why he didn't push the tempo I'm not sure. Maybe that's just not in his arsenal but it should be.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Much rather have the pick even if we didn't get it this year.
Yes. As a Point Guard, Knight is a short Shooting Guard. One who would block the progress of Devin Booker.

Having a pick in Knight's place would be addition by subtraction in more ways than one.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He was attacking the cup constantly. Why he didn't push the tempo I'm not sure. Maybe that's just not in his arsenal but it should be.

You're right, he drove to the basket all the time. And everyone here wondered why he wouldn't force the tempo. It really is one of those questions without an answer other than to say that's the way the Clippers played.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Buying out Humphries.

sent from a fone

Totally not a tanking move ;)

Kind of disappointing though. He is a serviceable rotation big, worst comes to worst and its clear they don't have minutes for him next year, I'd think they could have waited until summer and shipped him off for a 2nd round pick and not have been stuck paying his salary next year. But I suppose that won't really matter, we're going to have like 30 million in cap space and the entire league isn't going to have enough decent players to spend it on.

I feel like to avoid some of the obvious salary insanity this summer, and to throw a bone to the guys who inked deals 2 and 3 years ago, they should give everyone in a league a 10% raise. Cut back on the impending cap floor scramble that half the league will be making and help avoid situations where countless replacement level bench guys are going to get 10+ mil per season because their team has no one else to give the money to.

Last edited:

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Totally not a tanking move ;)

Kind of disappointing though. He is a serviceable rotation big, worst comes to worst and its clear they don't have minutes for him next year, I'd think they could have waited until summer and shipped him off for a 2nd round pick and not have been stuck paying his salary next year. But I suppose that won't really matter, we're going to have like 30 million in cap space and the entire league isn't going to have enough decent players to spend it on.

I feel like to avoid some of the obvious salary insanity this summer, and to throw a bone to the guys who inked deals 2 and 3 years ago, they should give everyone in a league a 10% raise. Cut back on the impending cap floor scramble that half the league will be making and help avoid situations where countless replacement level bench guys are going to get 10+ mil per season because their team has no one else to give the money to.

I think so too but maybe they figured we didn't really need a 2nd round pick as much as we need the goodwill from allowing a seasoned veteran a chance to find a playoff team. He's not much but he could help the right team (a litte). Also, our big guys are finally getting healthy enough to play and we probably still want to see what Leuer can give us prior to him hitting free agency.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I really like your idea of a blanket 10% or so raise, Phrazbit... probably too sensible and straightforward for all the lawyers who run the league.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
NBA contracts should simply be tied to a percentage of the cap.

So instead of signing for the maximum that is 30% of the cap = 30.000.000 with annual raises. Lebron James should always make 30% of the cap for the duration of the contract.

Also the NBA needs to raise rookie salaries a lot. Because rookies are simply too cheap right now.

Drafting a #1 pick talent and having that player under contract for 4 years/20M$ is simply a bargain unless you draft a bust in which case it is a mistake that does not really hurt on the cap.