The John McNulty Impact

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
It appears that the Cardinals have spent the off-season focusing on trying not only to improve the offensive personnel, but to cater the personnel more strictly to its identity as a fly-around pass happy bevy of birds.

Mike Miller is now very much in charge of the offense---and he wants to open the field up even more than in the past---and it looks like he will get his wish.

Russ Grimm was re-signed, but is no longer a co-coordinator of the offense, yet another signal that a smashmouth running game is no longer a priority---and while he remains an outstanding coach of guards and centers, his work coaching the tackles throughout his tenure as the o-line coach in Arizona has been unsteady, and at times glaringly suspect. Hopefully, the improvement Levi Brown made down the stretch last year at left tackle, will be a signal of better tackle play to come.

The Cardinals' promotion of John McNulty to QB coach is another very telling factor in the evolution of the offense. The Cardinals prevented McNulty to become the Bucs' new offensive coordinator under his Rutgers' colleague and friend, Greg Schiano. McNulty will have a very prominent role this year and will be at the center of the highly anticipated QB decisions.

Newly added WR coach Frank Reich will also be a major factor, as he will try to impart some of the Colts' offensive passing game wisdom to Miller and McNulty.

There are a number of chefs in the kitchen---which can be a great thing, or a deterrent---which head Coach Ken Whisenhunt will have to pay close attention to. Whisenhunt might have a difficult time keeping all the coaches happy, as there will likely be major differences in opinion, especially if the offense struggles once again out of the gates.

As for the QB situation, this much we know---Whisenhunt has insisted that Kevin Kolb and John Skelton go into camp in an even competition for the starting job.

Kolb will need to convince the coaches that he is healthy and that he is going to show improved presence and toughness in the pocket.

Skelton will need to convince the coaches that he can have a hot hand early in games and that he can be consistently accurate on the vast majority of his throws.

As a result---with 5 pre-season games to work with and important questions to answer, the pre-season game performances will matter a great deal. The coaches will want to see how well Kolb holds up under pressure and they will want to see how accurately Skelton throws the ball.

My own sense is that Skelton, because of his size, toughness, big arm and 8-4 record (with six 4th quarter comeback wins) has the edge and has had it all along---but seeing as the team is paying him a fifth rounder's rookie salary, the organization felt it could and should hold on to Kolb in the hope that he would validate the costs and relatively blind faith it took to acquire and sign him long-term.

The most pressing question is how a player who felt the effects of a season-ending concussion for an alarming seven to eight weeks---on the heels of a concussion which cost him the Philly QB job---would suddenly show improved toughness in the pocket. If Kolb does, he will quickly enamor everyone in Arizona---mostly because financially he doesn't really HAVE to. Kolb has been paid a king's ransom in his six years in the NFL---he has already made in excess of $40M---despite the fact that in five years he has played the majority of snaps in a mere 17 games---and his team's record in those games: 6-11.

With all the commotion this off-season about concussions, no one could blame Kolb for being cautious, even to the point of considering more time on the DL or retirement.

Another reason to suspect that Kevin Kolb's days with the Cardinals (and quite possibly in the NFL) are numbered is the fact that the Cardinals drafted QB Ryan Lindley---

The thing is---the coaches like the incumbent #3 Rich Bartel---they think he's smart, mobile and reasonably accurate, thus, it's not like the coaches want to replace him---and because he has NFL experience, they would feel fine if they had to use him in a pinch.

The selection of Ryan Lindley is somewhat of a curious one in that the rap on him is his accuracy. In essence, he is very similar to John Skelton---as he possesses good size, functional mobility and a big, strong arm.

This is again where the promotion of John McNulty comes very much into play, as McNulty is a stickler about footwork and its link to passing accuracy. McNulty has already been hard at work in drilling the QBs with the fundamentals.

If Kolb and/or Skelton lights it up big-time this year---McNulty will become an even hotter property around the league next year---whereby Ken Whisenhunt may have to take the next step and promote him to OC, in order to keep him with the Cardinals.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We'll see.

That the Card offensive coaches seem to know what needs to be done gives rise to optimism. Whether or not the various challenges involving footwork, consistency, accuracy (along with better pass pro, the run game and our WR's getting open) actually get resolved remains to be seen.

If everything clicks in, we could be a beast of an offense. My guess is that some (but not all) of our problems will get fixed. The more we fix, the better we'll do.

Until then, I'll hold back judgment on McNulty, Miller, Grimm etc. (though they do represent reason for hope).

Last edited:

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It appears that the Cardinals have spent the off-season focusing on trying not only to improve the offensive personnel, but to cater the personnel more strictly to its identity as a fly-around pass happy bevy of birds.

Mike Miller is now very much in charge of the offense---and he wants to open the field up even more than in the past---and it looks like he will get his wish.

Russ Grimm was re-signed, but is no longer a co-coordinator of the offense, yet another signal that a smashmouth running game is no longer a priority---and while he remains an outstanding coach of guards and centers, his work coaching the tackles throughout his tenure as the o-line coach in Arizona has been unsteady, and at times glaringly suspect. Hopefully, the improvement Levi Brown made down the stretch last year at left tackle, will be a signal of better tackle play to come.

The Cardinals' promotion of John McNulty to QB coach is another very telling factor in the evolution of the offense. The Cardinals prevented McNulty to become the Bucs' new offensive coordinator under his Rutgers' colleague and friend, Greg Schiano. McNulty will have a very prominent role this year and will be at the center of the highly anticipated QB decisions.

Newly added WR coach Frank Reich will also be a major factor, as he will try to impart some of the Colts' offensive passing game wisdom to Miller and McNulty.

There are a number of chefs in the kitchen---which can be a great thing, or a deterrent---which head Coach Ken Whisenhunt will have to pay close attention to. Whisenhunt might have a difficult time keeping all the coaches happy, as there will likely be major differences in opinion, especially if the offense struggles once again out of the gates.

Nice post. One thing that sticks out to me this year, more than any other, is our ability to keep coaches and front office personnel from leaving for promotions on other teams. I think they laid the foundation years ago through loyalty. We've all gotten frustrated at times at Whisenhunt for being "too" loyal to certain players and coaches, but it does lay a framework for the future. I think it has a ripple effect over the years. You get guys like Mcnulty, Keim, etc with the chance to promote and leave and further their careers but they don't. And the only reason they wouldn't is if they see a future in Arizona by promoting from within. That takes a lot of trust in everyone you're working with.

Sometimes that loyalty seems excessive. Russ Grimm comes to mind. But what it does is lay a foundation of trust for others to see. How much impact did Whisenhunt's loyalty in Grimm play in stealing away Horton from 31 other NFL teams? We'll never know, but I have to imagine it played a part. Whisenhunt never throws Grimm under the bus. Coaches want to coach for Whisenhunt and players want to play for him and that foundation has only gotten stronger over the years.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I love what I have heard about McNulty so far but have questions about how much TRUE impact those coaches have on actual on field production. If Skelton or Kolb take off though he will get the lions share of the credit and deservedly so.

I'm very glad we blocked him from TB and like the idea of promoting him to OC if he does well. Mike Miller seems like JAG to me.

InfiniteRed

Veteran
Reaction score
As for the QB situation, this much we know---Whisenhunt has insisted that Kevin Kolb and John Skelton go into camp in an even competition for the starting job.

Kolb will need to convince the coaches that he is healthy and that he is going to show improved presence and toughness in the pocket.

Skelton will need to convince the coaches that he can have a hot hand early in games and that he can be consistently accurate on the vast majority of his throws.
The thing about camp is that it is never played at 100% game speed, you don't get the same feeling you do as in a game as a QB. That means that Kolb won't really be able to show improved pocket presence til a real game, not even in pre-season.
Skelton on the other hand can show accuracy in camp but I still think the starting job is leaning towards Kolb despite the even competition.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I know that Russ Grimm is "knocked" quite a bit for the play of our tackles, and I can't argue with the criticism. I'll only ask the question of whether it's the coaching or the talent? As everyone knows this is the first year in a long time that we've addressed the OL in draft. And just a reminder, next week is June and THEN JULY and TC. Can't wait.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I know that Russ Grimm is "knocked" quite a bit for the play of our tackles, and I can't argue with the criticism. I'll only ask the question of whether it's the coaching or the talent? As everyone knows this is the first year in a long time that we've addressed the OL in draft. And just a reminder, next week is June and THEN JULY and TC. Can't wait.

I think it's HOW the Cardinals addressed the o-line situation in the draft that is particularly telling, Garth. They drafted three athletic pass protectors from pass happy systems---not heavy set, slow footed maulers. Quite a change in philosophy, finally!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05