The Kandi Man visits the Suns

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He obviously wants to play here. Give him a shot. A one year minimum deal would be harmless.

hawaiiansun

Registered
Reaction score
Oh My Goodnes. Olowokandi is the gayest player in the NBA. God please don't bring him in. He wouldn't fit anyway, got the two JJ's and KT backing up the bigs, so if Kandi cane comes in, one of the JJ's are **** out of luck.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Bring him in. He's better than Burke or Marks and gives us some insurance in case of an injury to KT or Amare.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
amareq said:
Oh My Goodnes. Olowokandi is the gayest player in the NBA. God please don't bring him in. He wouldn't fit anyway, got the two JJ's and KT backing up the bigs, so if Kandi cane comes in, one of the JJ's are **** out of luck.
The JJs are SF's that can play some PF if needed. Kandi is a true Center and while he's seen as a bust for a #1 pick, he's actually had some decent years in the league and has decent career stats. I'd rather have him on the team than Burke or Marks, especially for the minimum. Also, he seems to really want to be here if he's paying his own way to fly out here and try out.

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
If he really wants to be here we should definately pick him up, he would be a hell of a lot better then burke or pike, and in case one of our players gets injured or amare doesn't pan out he could be backup center for KT.

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
I was against his signing awhile back when it was announced the Suns may have had an interest in signing him. But at the time the Suns hadn't really done much for signing guys yet.

But now with the lineup pretty much solidified barring a trade, there is no doubt the Suns need a backup big and Kandi Man looks to be what's left and he is a much better option than Burke or Marks.

I'll give it my "blessing" as long as it's not for more than the minimum and is not guaranteed.

The only thing is...he could not keep up with Minny's offense so why would that be different here?

It's hard to look at him beyond the #1 selection of a draft that included Bibby, Jamison, Carter, Dirk Diggler, Al Harrington, and Rashard Lewis.

Take that aside and he's averaged 8.6 ppg and 7.1 rpg over his career. He's also averaged 1.4 bpg in his career as well.

Since his last season with the Clips (02-03) he has been on a downward spiral which has solidified the bust reference.

If signed it's not splashy and he won't get a lot of time unless an injury happens on the frontline, so give him the minimum, not guaranteed and sit him down next to the Polish Rifle.

PS

We'll have the #1 pick in the whole darn draft! LOL.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
I would love for this minimum signing to happen. Why not? Low risk signing, mid to high potential return. However, this really exacerbates the logjam at the 3. I would think it could make some unhappy and could potentially interfere with chemistry. Could this also, due to a lack of minutes, cause Daiw to leave at year's end?

Nash - 30/Banks - 16
Bell - 30/Barbosa - 16
Marion - 32/Jones - 10/Jones - 4/Piatkowski - 2
Stoudemire - 32/Diaw - 16
Thomas - 22/Olowokandi - 20/Marks - 2/Burke - 2

This would mostly affect Diaw's minutes, but we'd have a hell of a deep team. This also hurts probably James Jones' minutes, too. Chances are that someone will go down with injury and it will all be resolved, but it certainly is something to consider with a full lineup....

asudevil83

Reaction score
if he signs...doesnt mean he has to play. Kandi getting 20 minutes? more like 5 barring any sort of injury. and how can you have Kandi getting more minutees than diaw? it makes no sense at all.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Seeds Of Hate said:
I would love for this minimum signing to happen. Why not? Low risk signing, mid to high potential return. However, this really exacerbates the logjam at the 3. I would think it could make some unhappy and could potentially interfere with chemistry. Could this also, due to a lack of minutes, cause Daiw to leave at year's end?

Nash - 30/Banks - 16
Bell - 30/Barbosa - 16
Marion - 32/Jones - 10/Jones - 4/Piatkowski - 2
Stoudemire - 32/Diaw - 16
Thomas - 22/Olowokandi - 20/Marks - 2/Burke - 2

This would mostly affect Diaw's minutes, but we'd have a hell of a deep team. This also hurts probably James Jones' minutes, too. Chances are that someone will go down with injury and it will all be resolved, but it certainly is something to consider with a full lineup....

There is no way on God's green earth that Olowokandi would get anywhere NEAR 20 minutes a game if nobody is injured. We're talking Eddie House Playoffs minutes for Kandi if he signs, which is to say, none except in emergency.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone else said it already. They would not be bringing him into play regular minutes. He would be insurance unless he worked his way into the rotation.

Joe

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I just find it interesting that Kandi would really want to play here. I mean, there is a) the notorious posterizing, and b) the fact that Alvin Gentry hates him.

I personally wouldn't mind signing him. It's a low risk, high-reward potential signing. I know he is an immense bust, but I know I never heard about chemistry problems with him when he was here in LA (just talent problems), and I never heard anything about him in Minnesota, which I always thought had chemistry problems anyway, but not because of Kandi.

And he is actively trying to get a spot on the Suns, specifically. That's gotta count for something coming from a 7-footer that has the potential (however rare) to provide some meaningful minutes.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Aren't his knees shot? I don't understand this need for NBA teams to feel like they need a 7 footer on their team. It doesn't matter if he's in a wheel chair as long as he's 7 feet tall.

I don't have a problem with signing him, but if he takes a roster spot from someone who would actually contribute than no way.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
I don't have a problem with signing him, but if he takes a roster spot from someone who would actually contribute than no way.

That's the thing, I don't think that is an issue. Most of us were thinking that Lampe would be our final signee, and he still could be, with or without Kandi.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Invite him to training camp. If he looks good (or at least better than Marks and Burke) then sign him.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Once again - buy low sell high. He probably thinks he can flourish (relativley speaking) in this system. And maybe hes right. I would feel alot better if we had him to guard bigs in the playoffs. Especially with the uncertainty of Kurt and Amares health. And if he sucks - well you are'nt paying him anything and you dont have to play him. Seems pretty simple to me.

:bhiich:

scoutmasterdave

Board Certified Suns Fan
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
Once again - buy low sell high. He probably thinks he can flourish (relativley speaking) in this system. And maybe hes right. I would feel alot better if we had him to guard bigs in the playoffs. Especially with the uncertainty of Kurt and Amares health. And if he sucks - well you are'nt paying him anything and you dont have to play him. Seems pretty simple to me.

:bhiich:

Well said. I'm all for it as long as it's for the minimum.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really can't see any negative in bringing Kandi in for the minimum - hell, it's not my money.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05