The Killing (AMC)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Killing (AMC)

New series based on the Danish television series with the same English title, but known as Forbrydelsen (The Crime) in Danish.

Set in Seattle, Washington, the series follows the police investigation, the grieving family and the suspects, after the homicide of a young girl, Rosie Larsen. Each of the 13 episodes will chronicle one day of the investigation.

You must be registered for see images attach

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Looks like AMC does have another good show. At least the 2 hr opener was pretty good IMO. I already have my suspicions as to who did it, ;) but it is quite a reach right now.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
I DVR'ed it...will watch it later.

If the show ends up being worth the effort, AMC better not pull the rug out from underneath me again like they did with Rubicon!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I fell asleep before it ended but because I was exhausted, not that I didn't like it, really liked it.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Haven't watched this yet, haven't even heard of this until just now, but the premise sounds like Twin Peaks. Anyway, will check it out.
If the show ends up being worth the effort, AMC better not pull the rug out from underneath me again like they did with Rubicon!
Definitely. Rubicon was a solid show, but I guess AMC is like the other major networks now, all about ratings.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I DVR'ed it...will watch it later.

Fool me once etc etc. I'm going to wait until I hear it's renewed before I watch even a single episode. I think the networks need to learn they have a responsibility to the viewers when they do this kind of show. We need to know they'll actually finish the story. They can rush the ending if the ratings are horrible but they need to finish what they start. I'm still waiting for a Rubicon wrap-up that will never come.

Steve

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I was under the impression that this was a 13 part mini-series. No second season to worry about.

Even if it isn't the season-ender will bring good closure.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression that this was a 13 part mini-series. No second season to worry about.

That's good to know. I guess it's safe to watch.

Steve

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
Fool me once etc etc. I'm going to wait until I hear it's renewed before I watch even a single episode. I think the networks need to learn they have a responsibility to the viewers when they do this kind of show. We need to know they'll actually finish the story. They can rush the ending if the ratings are horrible but they need to finish what they start. I'm still waiting for a Rubicon wrap-up that will never come.

Steve

Here is the thing, would you not watch a movie if you knew there wasn't going to be a sequel? What about reading a book? I don't know why people don't want to watch a single season of a tv show. If a show like Rubicon/Terriers doesn't get renewed you shouldn't hide from it and pretend it never happened. Look at it like a great mini-series.

This is a series, not a mini-series. Supposedly the Danish show it is based off of uses each season for a different case so it works as a mini-series but you'll be with the same characters each season.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the thing, would you not watch a movie if you knew there wasn't going to be a sequel? What about reading a book? I don't know why people don't want to watch a single season of a tv show. If a show like Rubicon/Terriers doesn't get renewed you shouldn't hide from it and pretend it never happened. Look at it like a great mini-series.

I don't mind watching a single season of a TV show but I tire of these shows that have a continuing story that doesn't get told. I wish I'd never watched Rubicon. I liked the show but there are plenty of shows and movies that start and finish a story - I'll stick to those when possible.

Steve

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Steve

Um, no they don't. They are in the business to make money. Period. It sucks, sure, but they're goal is not to pander to you, it's to draw enough viewers to entice advertisers to throw money at the show in order to produce it.

Maybe if you understood more about how much money it actually takes to make an episode of a TV show. They are given a certain amount to start--and the producers have to stretch whatever amount that is (usually for a short season). If that amount isn't closely recouped by the end of the season because ratings didn't garner advertising dollars, how is it good business to spend MORE money--they would be losing that money. And for what?

You think Fox really is that beat up about cancelling Firefly? Or that AMC is upset about Rubicon? Networks are here to make money. Neither of those shows made money, unfortunately, so the networks stopped making them. Sucks for fans, but makes sense in the business world--it's like any other product, if it doesn't sell, why bother making it and losing money anymore?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Um, no they don't. They are in the business to make money. Period. It sucks, sure, but they're goal is not to pander to you, it's to draw enough viewers to entice advertisers to throw money at the show in order to produce it.

Maybe if you understood more about how much money it actually takes to make an episode of a TV show. They are given a certain amount to start--and the producers have to stretch whatever amount that is (usually for a short season). If that amount isn't closely recouped by the end of the season because ratings didn't garner advertising dollars, how is it good business to spend MORE money--they would be losing that money. And for what?

You think Fox really is that beat up about cancelling Firefly? Or that AMC is upset about Rubicon? Networks are here to make money. Neither of those shows made money, unfortunately, so the networks stopped making them. Sucks for fans, but makes sense in the business world--it's like any other product, if it doesn't sell, why bother making it and losing money anymore?

I said "I think the Networks need to learn" not "will learn" and not "are learning". At some point, we, as consumers, need to get our heads out of our collective butts and stand up for our rights. It's not going to happen though so the best I can do is show my dissatisfaction by not watching this kind of show on a network that has already proved they are willing to pull the plug without telling the end of the story.

Steve

Last edited:

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
So far I agree. It has a very brooding type feel to the show.

Although I don't like the lead.

But after the 1st two shows I have a guess as to the killer (and it'll probably change after the next episode and so on...

The male aide to the councilman.

I kind of have the same thought process going, only with a different character...sort of.

It'll be found out that the female aide/campaign manager is actually working for the incumbent mayor, and that the girl's murder was accidental (or a campaign "trick") gone too far.

I do have this to add after watching the first two episodes:

1. Brent Sexton and Michelle Forbes were terrific as Rosie Larson's parents. I feel that they really "brought it" to the table with their performances.

2. The guy playing Det. Holden really nailed it with the paint-huffer-from-Enumclaw persona. I wonder if he spent last fall in southern King county hanging out with the locals researching the role.

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
That's a great spoiiler there Ken certainly there are hints at that scenario.

There wasn't an emotional connection to Rosie until that scene when the dad pulls up to the crime scene while he was on the phone with his wife. Pretty dang good.

The male detective is out of this world creepy. That scene with the 2 girls was nuts.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

But after the 1st two shows I have a guess as to the killer (and it'll probably change after the next episode and so on...

were the first 2 shows in the first episode, wasn't it 2 hours long? I've tivo'd it but haven't watched yet.

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
That's a great spoiiler there Ken certainly there are hints at that scenario.

There wasn't an emotional connection to Rosie until that scene when the dad pulls up to the crime scene while he was on the phone with his wife. Pretty dang good.

The male detective is out of this world creepy. That scene with the 2 girls was nuts.

I know right?

My wife was livid about Det. Holden's methods with the soccer girls. I told her "He got the job done, right?"...man did she lay into me! I could only respond with "Well, at least your know they're gunning for realism in the show. You know there are creepy cornholio cops out there like that."

Last edited:

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
were the first 2 shows in the first episode, wasn't it 2 hours long? I've tivo'd it but haven't watched yet.

They aired together, but they were two separate episodes; Pilot, and The Cage.

I only know this because of the opening credits...different directors.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score

I actually really liked the lead.

Also I am on the same thought process as you on the murderer at this point. Though I am sure I will suspect someone else each episode. I kind of have this feeling like we haven't met the killer yet.

I kind of have the same thought process going, only with a different character...sort of.

It'll be found out that the female aide/campaign manager is actually working for the incumbent mayor, and that the girl's murder was accidental (or a campaign "trick") gone too far.

I do have this to add after watching the first two episodes:

1. Brent Sexton and Michelle Forbes were terrific as Rosie Larson's parents. I feel that they really "brought it" to the table with their performances.

2. The guy playing Det. Holden really nailed it with the paint-huffer-from-Enumclaw persona. I wonder if he spent last fall in southern King county hanging out with the locals researching the role.

For your spoiler is that something you know as fact or is that your guess based on the upcoming scenes? I normally skip those because they throw so many red herrings out that it is impossible to get any real info out of them.

I love the casting for the parents. They really made you feel their pain throughout the entire search for Rosie.

Really impressed with the first two hours of the show. It got very good ratings (2nd highest ever on AMC) so if they hold on to viewers they should easily get a second season.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I said "I think the Networks need to learn" not "will learn" and not "are learning". At some point, we, as consumers, need to get our heads out of our collective butts and stand up for our rights. It's not going to happen though so the best I can do is show my dissatisfaction by not watching this kind of show on a network that has already proved they are willing to pull the plug without telling the end of the story.

Steve

Watching television is not a right. Having a full show with a complete resolution isn't a right either. It'd be nice to have, but there's nothing that says it has to be like that. It's impractical, unfortunately.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05