The Killing (AMC)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Watching television is not a right. Having a full show with a complete resolution isn't a right either. It'd be nice to have, but there's nothing that says it has to be like that. It's impractical, unfortunately.

I think (hope) networks are finally getting the hint, though, with shows like Fringe and Chuck. They're starting to realize that if you keep airing continuing story line shows and then cut them with no resolution, you're going to start losing viewers.

Maybe I just perceive that it's getting better, but I'll take it. Of course, I now think Chuck has completely and utterly run its course lol

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like this show already. It's sort of borrowed elements from The Wire without trying to make some grandiose statement. It's still just a murder mystery, but when in which we've already learned not to really trust any of the characters except Sarah.

I love Mirelle Enos as the lead. Enos is not an unattractive woman in real life, but they've gone out of their way to make her look ordinary ... even a little strange. She still pops off the screen with her acting ability. You can tell she's spent a lot of time on stage because she doesn't waste any scene and she does a lot of acting with her face and body language.

Ghraxx

Reaction score
very good show, to be honest I was expecting a lot less before i watched it

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like this show already. It's sort of borrowed elements from The Wire without trying to make some grandiose statement. It's still just a murder mystery, but when in which we've already learned not to really trust any of the characters except Sarah.

I love Mirelle Enos as the lead. Enos is not an unattractive woman in real life, but they've gone out of their way to make her look ordinary ... even a little strange. She still pops off the screen with her acting ability. You can tell she's spent a lot of time on stage because she doesn't waste any scene and she does a lot of acting with her face and body language.

agreed. to be honest, with the way this thing was marketed, i wasn't sure i was gonna be a big fan. but a wicked hangover rendering me useless for the day gave me two to kill and now i'm hooked. another win for AMC.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah they sure do a great job of sucking you in to the emotional heartbreak of the family and at the same time showing how emotionally involved the police get in such cases. Pretty hard to not get pulled in, the first 3 hours of this have been outstanding.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
So does anyone have any idea who the killer is yet? I sure don't. I still have this feeling we haven't met the killer yet though I don't know if the show would really go 3 hours without introducing you to the killer.

Any way some thoughts:
-Obviously from my thoughts stated about I don't think Jasper or Kris are the killers. They are scum bags that will hopefully end up in jail but it won't be for the murder.
-I think Rosie's friend who keeps disappearing knows something about the murder, or at least is connected to the murderer in someway, even if she doesn't know it is the murderer.
-The scene where the kid ask's Rosie's dad how she died was so heartbreaking. Very well played by everyone involved.
-I imagine most people agree that Jamie (the male aide) was framed. No way he would be stupid enough to send e-mails from his work e-mail address. I could see Gwen framing him but that seems like it is too easy an answer for a show like this.

That's it for now. Can't wait for tomorrow, though this may take a backseat in my viewing time since Game of Thrones begins this week.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I too, like the soccer scene with the girls and how he scammed the girls...Holden seems like the creepy type, but who knows

Did anyone catch the quick camera shot on the back of his neck...some tatoo. coudldn't see what that meant.

Also don't know what Linda finds on the shore after running at the beginning

Last edited:

27Veer

Veteran
Reaction score
terrific show. This show does a wonderful job of showing how a crime effects an entire family. I have no idea who did it yet, but I'm leaning to suspect someone with the Political group.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
My wife was livid about Det. Holden's methods with the soccer girls. I told her "He got the job done, right?"...man did she lay into me! I could only respond with "Well, at least your know they're gunning for realism in the show. You know there are creepy cornholio cops out there like that."

Maybe now my wife will get off my back about Captain Douche-Bag?

Holden explained to Linden that pot he was offering up to kids was "weed scent", and not the real stuff.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Show went in some new directions tonight. I'm pretty sure the teacher didn't do it, but they had been leaning that way with a couple subtle hints. It's way to early in the show to pin in on the black dude. :D Too much show left.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Show went in some new directions tonight. I'm pretty sure the teacher didn't do it, but they had been leaning that way with a couple subtle hints. It's way to early in the show to pin in on the black dude. :D Too much show left.

My girlfriend predicted that bit with him early in the show, I had suspected something was up myself but not to that extent.

But like you it's too early in the show for him to be the actual killer.

Good show, they're doing a nice job of character development at the same time as introducing evidence in the murder. I have a feeling by the end of the season people you dislike now you might like and vice versa.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
I really hope they stop ending each show with a different suspect and then start the next clearing their name. That is pretty much my only issue with the show.

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
I am still keeping my initial suspect as numero uno.

As creepy as the detective is, he has pretty much been right with his assumptions (even though they are evil). I am curious to see what that phone call was all about when he was at the hospital.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I am locking in (final answer) on the dude that works with the Dad at the "Plant" or where ever he works. He always wants to know what' going on and I think it's fishier than that.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
I am locking in (final answer) on the dude that works with the Dad at the "Plant" or where ever he works. He always wants to know what' going on and I think it's fishier than that.

I have thought about him being the guy too. But part of me thinks he isn't. The reasoning behind that thought is he was part of Stan's mob past. I am wondering if he is just looking out for his 'family'. That said right now he is one of the top suspects in my mind.

DiamondBacks5117

Registered
Reaction score
awesome show i think the guy that plays holder is awesome. Not sure how much longer they can keep it going with no resolution. they could continue the show with different cases if they wanted to keep it going.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the show too, but man, did they shoot this all in one day..that detective lady hasn't changed her sweater ( wifes observation- I'm oblivious to that sort of thing)

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
I like the show too, but man, did they shoot this all in one day..that detective lady hasn't changed her sweater ( wifes observation- I'm oblivious to that sort of thing)

If I remember correctly it takes place over 2 weeks, so each episode is more or less a day.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
This show is frustrating. It started off so well but it has fallen into the standard cop drama. If it gets renewed for a second season I hope they lay off the cliches and help us learn more about the victim because I really don't care who killed Rosie Larsen since I don't know anything about her.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This show is frustrating. It started off so well but it has fallen into the standard cop drama. If it gets renewed for a second season I hope they lay off the cliches and help us learn more about the victim because I really don't care who killed Rosie Larsen since I don't know anything about her.
Yeah, the show has gotten considerably weaker since the first few episodes. Too many coincidences. Too much misdirection. Too many "suspects" who then turn out to not even be remotely related to the crime. And too much focus on the girls' parents, imo. I would have liked to have learned more about the actual victim too.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I can see that perspective but I'm taking it another way I find it really interesting to see what impact the killing has on everyone else. On the family, on the people even remotely connected, the police etc.

I get the idea we don't know Rosie well enough to care but we know all the other characters and it's fascinating to watch.

At one point I'm thinking man I can't imagine how bad the mother and father feel and hating the teacher, the next minute I'm thinking man I hope the father doesn't kill the teacher because it appears he's totally innocent here.

And the cop man she's blowing off her fiance and neglecting her son because she's so engrossed in the case.

SO I think they're doing an excellent job with those characters FWIW.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
I can see that perspective but I'm taking it another way I find it really interesting to see what impact the killing has on everyone else. On the family, on the people even remotely connected, the police etc.

I am trying to look at it like that as well but some of the characters aren't doing anything for me anymore. The mom is the main one. She is pretty much only there to tell Linden that she isn't doing anything.

Also I want to know what happened to Rosie's ex-boyfriend and her jealous friend? They sure made it seem like she knew something earlier in the season and now I can't remember the last episode she was in.

I like the show and it is still better than most on tv at this point but the way AMC has produced their shows this seems like a let down. As I said earlier I hope they get a second season so they can fix their problems because they showed this can be a compelling new take on the cop genre but as of right now they just fell back into the same routine that most shows do.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05