The Lions comin' to town...

RedRamage

Reaction score
Howdy all, Lions fan here.

Any predictions on the game? I gotta say that after SF walked over us last week that not too many Lions fans are feeling very positive and upbeat. We really looked at the Ravens game as a possible springboard back to getting into things. The Lions seemed to be improving a little bit each week and then had the improbable win over the Ravens... patch that up with a string of games against a number of less than stellar teams and we felt we might actually get a bonafide winning streak going. But of course we got embaressed by SF.

So, generally speaking we're pretty down on the team. Most Lions fans view this as a winable game, but fear that the Lions will find yet another way to lose it. Half of 'em are nearly rooting for losses in the hopes that it finally gets Ford to fire GM Matt Millen, but I don't see that happening no matter how many losses.

As for the team itself:

Offensively: Kitna has been pretty decent for us. He's really tacked on some big yardage numbers, probably due in a large part because of Martz pass happy offense. His biggest problem is that his TD to INT ratio is 1:1, Yikes! Plus those INTs seem to come at some really costly times... like late in games as we're driving to the endzone to tie/take the lead. :bang:

Roy Willimas has been pretty phenominal at the receiver position, and Furrey has been suprisingly good too. Don't ask me who's number 3-5 on the depth chart... I don't think even the coaches know that. Jones has been getting steadily better, and now that we've got a few OLers back from injuries he's done better.

Defensively speaking our DL is a mess! Shaun Rogers, who is a BEAST at DT is serving the 4th game of a 4 game suspension for using a diet supplement during the off season (Still had it in his system went Training Camp began). James Hall, our best DE is on IR with rotator cuff injuries. And Shaun Cody, our other starting DT, is questionable with a toe injury. You guys will likely be running all over us all day long.

Our LBs are okay... Ernie Sims is looking like a fantastic pickup, with help ease the feelings a bit on not drafting Leinart. Secondary is okay... they tend to take risks in going for the ball... which can be great if they get the INT. But it also leads to the occasional blown coverage that goes for huge yardage.

Over all, I think the Lions could win this game, but if they do it will be by out scoring the Cards rather than by beating them defensively. (Okay, before you make fun of me, you know what I mean! Of course the team that socres the most wins... what I mean is that we likely won't hold the Cards to fewer than 10 points or anything... it'll take scoring a lot of points to win.)

If someone has the time and inclination, I'm sure my fellow Lions fans would love it if one of you were to visit www.MotownSports.com and post a similar breakdown of the Cardinals the Lions forum on that site.

Thanks much!

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good stuff, thanks a lot.

The Cardinals arent running on anyone. Edge will get 63 yards this Sunday.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are the Lions planning on getting on the plane here, getting to the stadium, suiting up and playing?

Well, then they just won the game.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are the Lions planning on getting on the plane here, getting to the stadium, suiting up and playing?

The Cardinals generally only do 2 of those 4 things. lol

OP
OP
R

RedRamage

Reaction score

Well, then they just won the game.
Ha! :lol: While I hate to enjoy another team's fans misery, it's nice to know that there are other NFL fans who are as pessimistic about their team as we are of ours.

At least we were able to enjoy baseball deep into October and we've got UofM making a solid run at the college level.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You know your team sucks when the Pacific Life "keys to the game" to beat you are

1) Show up

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least we were able to enjoy baseball deep into October and we've got UofM making a solid run at the college level.

Indeed.

• The Diamondbacks couldnt win the worst division in baseball.
  • Arizona State football has been horrible this year with many calling for the coach's head.
  • The University of Arizona football team upsets Cal, temporarily distracting everyone from Mike Stoop's 20-year plan.
  • ASU basketball has a new head coach.
  • The Suns are off to a bad start (but I dont care, I'm a Lakers fan).
  • I think we have a pro hockey team.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be so sure on Edge only getting 63 yards. The Lions look like a whole different team without Shaun Rogers.

Who's Rogers' backup? That guy will look like a pro-bowler this weekend.

DRVNFAST

Homey don't play that!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'll say it. Call me Homer McHomeville if you must.

Edge gets his 1st 100 yard game

But we still lose!

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
  • The Diamondbacks couldnt win the worst division in baseball.

This an argument for a different place but the NL West is not the worst division in baseball. 2 teams went to the playoffs from the NL West

Last edited:

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Gawd, I bet we end up winning this game and screwing up the only thing we have to look forward to, the draft...

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This an argument for a different place but the NL West is not the worst division in baseball. 2 teams went to the playoffs from the NL West

OK, OK. Truth be told, I stopped watching baseball in June. ;)

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha! :lol: While I hate to enjoy another team's fans misery, it's nice to know that there are other NFL fans who are as pessimistic about their team as we are of ours.

I used to be the optimistic one.

:(

OP
OP
R

RedRamage

Reaction score
Gawd, I bet we end up winning this game and screwing up the only thing we have to look forward to, the draft...
Not that I ever root for my team to lose, but this happened to the Lions last year. We were literally a 4 and 27 miracle reception from have the number two pick in the draft!

We were losing to the Saints, and down to our last posession, 4th and 27 yards, and a pass thrown into double coverage. Some how Roy Williams comes up with the ball, keeps the drive alive. We end up scoring, and winning the game. Because of that we ended up with the 9th pick. Now, I like Ernie Sims, I like him a lot. And Kevin Jones (our RB) is no slouch, but if Williams would NOT have caught that pass we would've moved up to #2 in the draft and would have Reggie Bush on the roster.

ThunderCard

Reaction score

I already threw $100 on the Cards and +3. The Cards are going to win and get the second or third pick in the draft. It is just there destiny

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We were losing to the Saints, and down to our last posession, 4th and 27 yards, and a pass thrown into double coverage. Some how Roy Williams comes up with the ball, keeps the drive alive. We end up scoring, and winning the game. Because of that we ended up with the 9th pick. Now, I like Ernie Sims, I like him a lot. And Kevin Jones (our RB) is no slouch, but if Williams would NOT have caught that pass we would've moved up to #2 in the draft and would have Reggie Bush on the roster.

The way Bush is playing you probably made out ok for now. I saw Faulk on NFL Network talking about Bush and he said he has a bunch of issues with him.

1) He bounces everything outside and is missing lots of cutback lanes and holes as a result.

2) Can't run between the tackles

3) Doesn't protect the ball in traffic which is causing the Saints to limit his carries out of fear he'll fumble.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I predict...

27-10 Lions.

We NEVER beat the Lions.

Plus our team sucks, and are a bunch of quitters.

Osbern61

Insomniac
Reaction score
I predict...

27-10 Lions.

We NEVER beat the Lions.

Plus our team sucks, and are a bunch of quitters.

Our last losses to the Lions were all at Detroit, we've won the ones in AZ before that. I agree with your last sentence completely.
Lions 32
Cards 23

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Defensively speaking our DL is a mess! Shaun Rogers, who is a BEAST at DT is serving the 4th game of a 4 game suspension for using a diet supplement during the off season (Still had it in his system went Training Camp began). James Hall, our best DE is on IR with rotator cuff injuries. And Shaun Cody, our other starting DT, is questionable with a toe injury. You guys will likely be running all over us all day long.
Nope... you are seriously over estimating our OL, play calling, and offense in general. Looks like you haven't seen any Cardinals game this season.

Over all, I think the Lions could win this game, but if they do it will be by out scoring the Cards rather than by beating them defensively.
You WILL win...

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
I hope Suns will be busy in June... that is the only hope left right now in this sports sucking city and even they have not started out of the gate too strong.