The NBA's Version Of The Curse: The Phoenix Suns

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
The Curse lives on
While Red Sox broke through, one NBA team is still fighting demons

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/john_hollinger/10/31/nba.curse/index.html

You don't have to play baseball to be cursed. While the long, dark era of "The Curse" is over for Boston, basketball also has its share of lamentable losers. Now that the Red Sox erased themselves from the list of the damned, it's a perfect time to consider what basketball team, if any, is most deserving of the "cursed" mantel.

Candidates are a bit harder to come by in pro basketball, which has a half-century deficit in the history department compared to major league baseball. But as we'll see, at least one team is certainly worthy of the honor.

First, let's define what we mean by a 'Curse.' Here are my criteria:

• A team that hasn't won a championship, or won so long ago that only grainy, black-and-white film exists of it.

• A team that has contended many times but always found a way to fall short, even when they had superior talent.

• A team that has lost out on its best opportunities in the most heartbreaking of fashions.

With those parameters, we can begin with the NBA's 30 teams and eliminate them one by one. The easiest ones to weed out are the ones who have won championships since 1960: the Celtics, Lakers, 76ers, Bulls, Spurs, Rockets, Wizards, Sonics, Warriors, Trail Blazers, Knicks, Bucks and Pistons. The Nets and Pacers, who won ABA titles, also lose out on a claim to Cursedom.

Next, we can eliminate the teams that haven't been around long enough to establish a history of tormenting their fans. The Bobcats, Grizzlies, Raptors, Hornets, Magic, T'wolves and Heat can be dismissed on this criteria.

Finally, we have to eliminate the teams that never got close enough to the promised land to produce a legitimate heartbreak. The Clippers, Nuggets, Mavs, and Cavs have never even been to the Finals, so it's hard to take their claims seriously. The Hawks last visited the promised land in '61 when they played in St. Louis, so we can eliminate them as well. Same goes for the Kings, whose only Finals visit came two moves and over half a century ago, when they were known as the Royals and played in the hamlet of Rochester.

That leaves us with just two teams. The first is easy to eliminate. The Utah Jazz lost twice in the Finals in the mid-'90s and lost three other times in the conference finals, but there wasn't a "Buckner moment" in any of those defeats, and the other three decades of their history have lacked any angst-inducing drama.

That knocks out 29 teams, but there's one left, and its logo should be a black cat:

• They've lost in the Finals twice, both times in heartbreaking ways.

• In a league where teams almost never lose a clinching playoff game at home, they've done it five times, and it cost them as many as three championships.

• They are one of only two teams to win the first two games of a best-of-seven playoff series on the road and still lose.

• They've had heartbreaking defeats in the '70s, '80s and '90s. That's a consistent record no team wants.

If you haven't guessed yet, I'm talking about the Phoenix Suns.

Despite the Suns' relative youth -- they were formed in '68-69 -- there is no question that this is the NBA's most cursed team. They might be more cursed than the other 29 teams put together.

This is a franchise that, in only its second season, took a 3-1 lead against Wilt Chamberlain's Lakers in its first-ever playoff series ... only to lose in seven games. That loss was a fitting introduction for basketball fans in the desert, setting the stage for the 35 years of disappointment that would follow.

They made their first visit to the NBA Finals in '75-76 and were involved in one of the greatest games in league history, a triple-OT thriller against the Celtics in Game 5 that included Gar Heard's desperation shot at the second-overtime buzzer. Of course, they lost that game, and the series in six.

In '78-79 they were one win away from a trip to the Finals when they hosted Seattle in Game 6 of the Western Conference finals. The Suns led in the fourth quarter but succumbed down the stretch, 106-105, and ultimately dropped Game 7.

Five years later they suffered perhaps the biggest upset in playoff history when they had an open freeway to the NBA Finals. The Suns had the best record in the West in '80-81 at 57-25, and were helped further when Houston knocked out the defending champion Lakers in the first round. All the Suns had to do was beat the hapless Kansas City Kings (40-42) and ...

Help! ... Collar tightening ... cannot breathe ... must ... loosen ...

The Suns inexplicably lost to the lowly Kings, dropping Game 7 on their home court. This would have been bad enough if the Kings had been healthy, but they were a MASH unit. In fact all of the Kings' guards were injured, including two of their top three scorers. In the clincher, the Kings' starting shooting guard was a 6-foot-10 forward named J.D. Lambert who had a 3.0 points-per-game average and was out of the league within two years.

Fast forward to 1989-90, and more disappointment. The Suns knocked out the defending champion Lakers in five games, a cathartic pounding of a hated rival. But unlike the Red Sox, they didn't finish the job. In the next round, against Portland, the Suns blew a 22-point lead in Game 1 and ended up falling in six games. Phoenix outscored the Blazers by 34 points over the six games, but lost four times by 1, 2, 3 and 6 points. Ouch.

Finally, in '92-93, the Suns made it back to the Finals, only to run into Michael Jordan's Bulls. Despite the might of their opponents, the Suns were leading near the end of Game 6 and looking forward to a Game 7 on their home court until John Paxson's 3-pointer knocked them out.

Jordan retired after that season, leaving the path to a title wide open, but Phoenix couldn't break through. In '93-94, the Suns met Houston in the second round and were thinking sweep after winning the first two games on the road. But Houston improbably won the next two games in Phoenix, and knocked the stunned Suns out in seven while the Rockets went on to win the title.

The previous years would be enough to fill a curse résumé, but the pièce de résistance for Phoenix came in '94-95. Again the Suns won the first two games against Houston, and were up 3-1 with Game 5 and Game 7 coming on their home court. There seemed no way the Suns could blow this one but, alas, they did. Tied at the end of Game 5, Suns coach Paul Westphal had his Grady Little moment when he inexplicably called the final shot for rookie guard Wesley Person (instead of, oh, say, Kevin Johnson, Dan Majerle or Charles Barkley). Person missed, of course, and the Rockets won in overtime.

That gaffe hardly seemed to matter when the Suns took a double-digit lead into the second half of Game 7. Nobody loses a Game 7 at home, after all, especially when they take such a huge early advantage. But this was the Suns, so we all know what happened next ...

Medic! ... Oxygen dwindling ... airway constricted ... throat ... getting ... tighter ...

The Rockets came back after the break, shooting 73 percent in the second half (that's not a typo). With the game tied in the final seconds, Houston put the Suns away when Mario Elie made a 3-pointer from the corner in the final seconds, blowing a smooch to the Suns' bench for good measure. Again, the Suns had to watch on TV as the Rockets won another championship. To add insult to injry, this loss closed the championship window of a hugely talented team that had Barkley, KJ, Majerle and Danny Manning, among others.

So there you have it -- 35 years of bad karma. From the first series against Wilt to the final kiss-off from Elie, there's never been a doubt about who the basketball gods are rooting against. There may not be a Bambino involved, but the Phoenix Suns are cursed. Let's hope they don't have to wait 86 years to see it reversed.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
Surprised he didn't bring up the coin toss for good measure. Bastard

we lost two coin tosses. for some reason, no one seems to remember that we lost both kareem and david robinson to coin tosses.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
the main reason this article is stupid is that a curse must be born from some blight caused by the team or a member of the team. the author provided no reason for the curse. thus, instead of a curse, it's just a team that has been the worst tease in nba history. that i can deal. a curse? try again.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
the main reason this article is stupid is that a curse must be born from some blight caused by the team or a member of the team. the author provided no reason for the curse. thus, instead of a curse, it's just a team that has been the worst tease in nba history. that i can deal. a curse? try again.
How about the coin tosses you mentioned? :shrug:

fordronken

Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:

The reason for a "curse" is just a significant event which happened before the team started losing. So...I guess you could call it The Curse of Kareem. Or would it be the Curse of Lou. Curse of the Coin Toss? Aw screw it.

Wait. I've got it. The Curse of Too Many White Guys and Too Much Small Ball.

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
that is the one thing that we have NEVER had is a decent center. thats the curse.

AmareFan

4DASUNS
Reaction score
One thing he left out...

A city can only have one cursed professional sports team....and that team would be the AZ Cardinals.

So the curse has been lifted from the Suns...Thanks Mr. Bidwill....Go SUNS!!

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
AmareFan said:
One thing he left out...

A city can only have one cursed professional sports team....and that team would be the AZ Cardinals.

no they have to be close to winning it and then blow it the cards have never been close enough to choke or blow it.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
AmareFan said:
One thing he left out...

Yah, the Cards definitely fit in with his catagory of teams that just suck. Always.

Ouchie, I knew there was another toss, just couldnt remember who we lost out on so I didnt want to bring it up. ;)

Curse of Kareem works for me. That is where it all started anyways.

AmareFan

4DASUNS
Reaction score
No, it's the curse of Bidwill....change the focus to the AZ Cards...Got your brown bag for your head?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
AmareFan said:
No, it's the curse of Bidwill....change the focus to the AZ Cards...Got your brown bag for your head?

BIDWILL......and you will jump on the bandwagon when we make the playoffs next year.... :trout: :D

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
we lost two coin tosses. for some reason, no one seems to remember that we lost both kareem and david robinson to coin tosses.

Maybe, because it wasn't a coin toss when you guys didn't get Robinson. :D

Suns Were Ever So Close to Having Robinson

Paola Boivin
The Arizona Republic
April 13, 2003

Bryan Colangelo is the first to admit it.

"You can't help but look back and wonder 'what if?' " he said.

What if David Robinson had played for the Suns? It almost happened, and the Suns would have had that dominating center for which they have pined for so long.

On May 17, 1987, seven NBA teams were involved in the draft lottery, including the Suns. Seven envelopes containing logos of the seven lottery teams were placed in a glass bin. Their selection determined the order of the first seven draft picks.

"There were two of 'em left," then-San Antonio general manager Bob Bass, now with New Orleans, said to reporters recently. "Two big envelopes, like 24 inches by 24. When I reached down in, I decided to take the one on the bottom. That's David Robinson. The other envelope was Armon Gilliam."

Indeed, Bass landed the top pick and selected Robinson, even though he was obligated to first serve a two-year Naval commitment. The Suns had the second pick and landed 6-foot-9 forward Gilliam, who stayed with them for just two-plus seasons before becoming a well-traveled starter and sixth man in the league.

"There was some question about whether we should draft someone who wouldn't be available for two years," Bass said. "But not by me."

Robinson, who is retiring after this season, was named one of the NBA's 50 greatest players. He helped the Spurs win an NBA title and was named an MVP, a Defensive Player of the Year and a Rookie of the Year.

He has played all 14 years of his career in San Antonio.

"It is unlikely these days that that's the case," Colangelo said, "although when you get your hands on someone special, generally it will wind up such that you try to maintain a relationship out of pure respect, but also what's right for the organization.

"Obviously he has meant a lot to that team on the basketball floor, but more importantly he has meant a lot to them off the floor as well."

The 1987 draft was a second case of the Suns losing out on a 7-foot center. In 1969, the team lost a coin toss with the Milwaukee Bucks, which gave the Bucks the top draft choice.

The Bucks took Lew Alcindor (Kareem Abdul-Jabbar). The Suns chose Neal Walk.

For his part, Robinson has always enjoyed Phoenix.

He has friends in the Suns organization, likes to play golf in the area and is faithful to Houston's restaurant on Camelback when he comes to town.

"If things had fallen a different way," Colangelo said, "it makes you think of the impact he could have made on this organization."

------------------------------------

I was in high school in Scottsdale when that draft happened, and I remembered it wasn't a toss, so I looked it up.

I was also loving Showtime about then. :cool:

:lakers:

Just a couple of seasons later...I got Riley, Scott, Woolridge, and Thompson to sign my Lakers towel at the team hotel across from the Cine Capri and right next to Houston's after they beat the Suns in the playoffs. Unfortunately, I think that was the time (1989) they swept their way to the Finals and then got beat by Detroit without Scott and Magic. :bang:

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
I was in high school in Scottsdale when that draft happened, and I remembered it wasn't a toss, so I looked it up.

I was also loving Showtime about then. :cool:

:lakers:

Just a couple of seasons later...I got Riley, Scott, Woolridge, and Thompson to sign my Lakers towel at the team hotel across from the Cine Capri and right next to Houston's after they beat the Suns in the playoffs. Unfortunately, I think that was the time (1989) they swept their way to the Finals and then got beat by Detroit without Scott and Magic. :bang:

Ok take that Lakers crap someplace else this is thread about how bad the Suns have been.

Oh, wait never mind. :bang:

Your best player is an adulterer. :p

:D

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Heh, I hadn't read the article before now.

At least the Suns are finally getting some attention.

But seriously, the author is right, unless you want to argue about what constitutes a "curse" (which is silly, because it's a make-believe concept like ghosts or ESP). Like the Red Sox, the Suns have been their league's most tormented franchise for multiple generations of fans. No other team has come so tantalizing close so many times, only to fall short when it mattered most.

It's why we're all slightly insane on this board.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05