THE Newcastle United FC thread

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
No Guehi...fine, but it looks like it might be no signings period. My son is a Liverpool fan, so I have an app set to alert me when they make a move and when Newcastle make a move. I get notifications once every few days that Liverpool have either sold or bought somebody (mostly selling young talent), but I never get any news about Newcastle. I'm not saying we need to go crazy, because I think there's something to be said for continuity, but this...it feels like something is wrong behind the scenes.

Two days to make something happen. We have two obvious needs, and it would be a shame if neither is met. At the same time, I just want the window to end at this point.
Return to the Mike Ca$hley days, I tell you. Trading at a pure profit, so the team can't whine about PSR nonsense. This is shambolic.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Man, Eddie Howe has really put his balls on the line. Refused any defender but Guehi? Stupid, in my book, and we're stuck running out Dan Burn and Emil Krafth still. That's not a side challenging for Europe, Eddie.

They don't get into Europe, or, likely, if it isn't the CL, he's gone, because Bruno and Isaak and Gordon will all want to leave. This team is teetering on the edge of the abyss.

mhill1986

Veteran
Reaction score
Man, Eddie Howe has really put his balls on the line. Refused any defender but Guehi? Stupid, in my book, and we're stuck running out Dan Burn and Emil Krafth still. That's not a side challenging for Europe, Eddie.

They don't get into Europe, or, likely, if it isn't the CL, he's gone, because Bruno and Isaak and Gordon will all want to leave. This team is teetering on the edge of the abyss.
Depressing. We better play reeeeeally well on Sunday.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Smash and grab win despite absolutely sucking again. This putrid play has to stop or Europe is a dream.

Nice to get the results through awful play, though. If the team can turn it around over the international break (they have to or there will be huge losses in the future), these results can really help them. The team has to shrug off all the awful crap of the summer.

mhill1986

Veteran
Reaction score
Gotta love that Tottenham high line! I echo your sentiments. Not really sure what to say about the game as a whole, but we got the win against a decent opponent, so I'll withhold too much criticism. Again, we play really well for 10 or 15 minutes and then look like a different team. In fairness though, we made it through the fabby and Cher band (lol...voice to text...Fabian Schär ban) relatively unscathed. ONWARD!

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Gotta love that Tottenham high line! I echo your sentiments. Not really sure what to say about the game as a whole, but we got the win against a decent opponent, so I'll withhold too much criticism. Again, we play really well for 10 or 15 minutes and then look like a different team. In fairness though, we made it through the fabby and Cher band (lol...voice to text...Fabian Schär ban) relatively unscathed. ONWARD!
Good result for Newcastle. Tottenham need more clinical goal scorers. Richarlison has been a flop that cannot stay fit. Van Der Ven is one of my favorite players and is arguably their best player aside from Son, but he too cannot stay fit. I understand playing a high line with Van Der Ven out there because he has recovery pace, but when he's gone there is a major drop off in the back.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Good result for Newcastle. Tottenham need more clinical goal scorers. Richarlison has been a flop that cannot stay fit. Van Der Ven is one of my favorite players and is arguably their best player aside from Son, but he too cannot stay fit. I understand playing a high line with Van Der Ven out there because he has recovery pace, but when he's gone there is a major drop off in the back.
I tell you, man, that was a Spursy loss. At one point, I was expecting a 3 or 4 to nil drubbing. And the only goal yinz got was an own goal at that. I hear you on the need for clinical goal scorers. Your problems was the opposite ours has been this season: Yinz get the chances but didn't score. Isaak had been getting almost no chances, then finally got the tap in. A top striker is only as good as his service. Put Haaland on Newcastle and he'd maybe have a goal more than Isaak, but that's doubtful.

How do you feel about Solanke, aside from his early injury?

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I tell you, man, that was a Spursy loss. At one point, I was expecting a 3 or 4 to nil drubbing. And the only goal yinz got was an own goal at that. I hear you on the need for clinical goal scorers. Your problems was the opposite ours has been this season: Yinz get the chances but didn't score. Isaak had been getting almost no chances, then finally got the tap in. A top striker is only as good as his service. Put Haaland on Newcastle and he'd maybe have a goal more than Isaak, but that's doubtful.

How do you feel about Solanke, aside from his early injury?
yeah. For spurs Ange ball is better than the post pochettino predecessors. It's more in line with what they did with Pochettino, but back then I think spurs had better high end players who could create and finish. so far it's a lot of possession and passing around the final third probing for a perfect chance. without a lot of real quality chances. and in certain instances there is almost 0 desire to put balls in the box, which most likely is a tactical decision. but 2 of their 3 games have been even or playing behind late and you would think they would be a little more desperate. I am excited to see Solanke play. I haven't seen much from him in the past.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
yeah. For spurs Ange ball is better than the post pochettino predecessors. It's more in line with what they did with Pochettino, but back then I think spurs had better high end players who could create and finish. so far it's a lot of possession and passing around the final third probing for a perfect chance. without a lot of real quality chances. and in certain instances there is almost 0 desire to put balls in the box, which most likely is a tactical decision. but 2 of their 3 games have been even or playing behind late and you would think they would be a little more desperate. I am excited to see Solanke play. I haven't seen much from him in the past.
That reminds me of when Spain used to be the best in the world but then fell off. I saw them get bounced in a tourney, losing in injury time, and they put no balls in the box. They were still trying to pass it around looking for the perfect opportunity!

mhill1986

Veteran
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The assist from Tonali! Fantastic finish, as well. I can't wait to see more of Sandro this season.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
freaking Callum Wilson, man. Now he's still not fit to practice after the international break and will be out some weeks more. But don't worry, Howe assures, it's not a long-term injury. It's only a months-long injury, but nah, not long term, no worries :(

Good thing we have--checks notes--Will Osula? to spell Isaak.

Good thing we took care of striker, CB, and RW in the window like we needed to--oh wait, we did none of those things.

Welp, no choice but to start blooding Osula, stupid as that is, in important moments. Isaak can't play every minute of every game.