The Official "Don't Waste the #6 Pick on Terrell Suggs" Thread

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by SECTION 11
This idea... is horrible.

Everyone go ahead and refer to the "Official lets use the #6 pick on Terrell Suggs Thread"

:thumbup:

OP
OP
SECTION 11

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
lol, good stuff Shane.

But, back to this thread.....

Which is the bigger problem:

1) Slow 40 time? Ed brushed this off, then praised Mr. Peek for his blazing 40 time.
2) 19 whopping reps at 225? Note: That "skinny little weakling" Terrence Newman did 21. Or was it 24?
3) His fat signing bonus for playing exclusively on third down?
4) His fear of performing in front of NFL owners? That bodes well for road games in Dallas and San Fran...
5) His inability to avoid potentially bad off-field situations?
6) His putting on 12 pounds to get UP to 257 lbs?
7) His 24 sacks are exactly two better than Tom Burke's last year in college.
8) He's not Jevon Kearse, or Julius Pepper. He's a slow Dwight Freeney.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol, good stuff Shane.

1) Slow 40 time? Ed brushed this off, then praised Mr. Peek for his blazing 40 time.
2) 19 whopping reps at 225? Note: That "skinny little weakling" Terrence Newman did 21. Or was it 24?
4) His fear of performing in front of NFL owners? That bodes well for road games in Dallas and San Fran...

Wow S11, finally a post with substance. I like it.

You bring up some very good points.

I'm very concerned that an undersized speed rusher who is compared to Freeney runs no where near the speed of Freeney. I also question whether Suggs will be able to be effective on every down. I don't care if he did it in college, can he do it in the NFL.

The big question is will his College Stats cross over to NFL Stats.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ryanwb
He's a black Brad Ottis

I resent that! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Ok, maybe I'm still a little steamed at the fat joke a couple of days ago...carry on...

OP
OP
SECTION 11

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Originally posted by MadCardDisease
I don't care if he did it in college, can he do it in the NFL.

Where are the arguments that he will succeed in the NFL?

There's way too much hometown-boy surrounding the Suggs love affair.

Ryan, yer killin me ova heeya....

OP
OP
SECTION 11

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Word is that he struggled with 16 reps and barely squeeked out the last three.
He won't need upper body stregnth though....

So much for the Derrick Thomas comparison.

Ed B

The Matt Joyce of Posting
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yup, I'm a giant idiot and so is anyone else that thinks the worst pass rush in NFL history could use a guy who got 24 sacks last year.

Let's draft Leftwich so he can sit on the bench while we go 4-12 again thanks to a pass rush that generates 20 sacks total.

OP
OP
SECTION 11

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Suggs is nothing more than the sack leader of an incredibly weak DE class.

There is no other argument for drafting him than college production. He got 24 sacks in a conference where Rien Freaking Long got 10.5.
Whoop D Freaking Doo.

T-H-O-M-A-S B-U-R-K-E

He put up 22 sacks and 31 TFL his senior season.
Not to mention that he had 14 sacks the year before, so it's not like he came out of nowhere.

MAKTEN

Veteran
Reaction score
I don't know about the rest of you all

But we desperately need a pass rush. With suggs we may or may not get that, however I am willing to bet we will. Think of our secondary after we begin having pressure on the QB. Our defense will begin to click and look like a defense!!

Ed B

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yup. That must be it. I forgot that Rien Long also sucks. Everyone sucks. Who doesn't suck? Who should we draft?

How many times have you seen Suggs play? When was this lack of speed ever noted until this workout a week ago?

Funny, I didn't hear a peep out of you about how slow and poopy Suggs is until this workout. Hmm.

And for the record, Thomas Burke showed a lot of promise as a rookie until Vince Tobin decided he should gain 30 pounds and become Reggie White's size. Ever since then he was nothing but a bloated cow with a bunch of back and leg injuries. Oh, and his arms are 3 inches shorter than Suggs's.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Where do you think Freeney would've been drafted if he ran 4.8-4.9 40?I don't know how Ed can knock the pick of Leftwich.Let's see,we can have Drew Bledsoe or Regan Upshaw.Let's take UPshaw because we our pass rush is bad.Our pass rush is still going to be below average with or without Suggs,unless of course,Kyle Turley pops him on the head with a lead pipe.

Ed B

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The fact that you've turned your opinion that Rien Long sucks (which I'm guessing is also based on workout numbers.....you know, you should try watching college football sometime, it's on Saturdays) into an ironclad fact to support your argument about how Suggs sucks (also based on workout numbers) shows how flimsy your argument is.

Your opinion is your opinion, and you're entitled to it. Stop passing it off like a fact.

We all know that no player has ever had a bad combine workout and then turned out to be a great NFL player.

Ed B

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cbus cardsfan
Where do you think Freeney would've been drafted if he ran 4.8-4.9 40?I don't know how Ed can knock the pick of Leftwich.Let's see,we can have Drew Bledsoe or Regan Upshaw.Let's take UPshaw because we our pass rush is bad.Our pass rush is still going to be below average with or without Suggs,unless of course,Kyle Turley pops him on the head with a lead pipe.

Oh wait, so Leftwich is a lock to turn into a star but Suggs is a lock to turn into a bust?

Are you kidding?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
There was this runningback at Texas A&M about six years ago.

He was the strongest player on the team, and the fastest. He ran around a 4.29 and squatted over 500 lbs.. This guy clearly was going to be a great NFL player......until he actually played.

The guy stunk. His 4.29 speed was never apparent in the NFL and his Texas A&M record strength never showed as he easily went down when tackled. The guy was a huge bust.....his name was.....Leeland McElroy.

The point is.....none of those stats mattered. He couldn't play, and was exposed at the next level. Jerry Rice with his 4.68 speed could play. Emmitt Smith with his 4.7 or so speed could also.

Fans (and I am definitely included) fall in love with workout numbers. Mike Mamula went from being a marginal 3rd rounder to a top 15 player because of his workout numbers that he never showed consistently on the field.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ed B
Oh wait, so Leftwich is a lock to turn into a star but Suggs is a lock to turn into a bust?

Are you kidding?

He's just bitter that his lover boy David Boston is off the team, and his least favorite player, Jeff Blake, is on the team.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cbus cardsfan

Look, I don't want to write about my Lock of the Draft again, and you don't want to read about my Lock of the Draft again. Please, please, please, please, please, please, please stop talking about how we should draft Leftwich. How many Super Bowls has Bledsoe played in and won?

Ed B

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I guess there's no point in arguing if people are going to insist that a bad workout means a guy is going to be a bust.

I hate to sound like an officious prick but if you watch Terrell Suggs on the field and think he has no speed and don't see that he has one of the most complete arrays of pass rush moves ever, you simply don't know crap about football. Same with Rien Long. You take the workout guy, I'll take the guy who knows how to play football. Go ahead, call me an cornholio now.

And for the record, I think Byron Leftwich is a stud.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Originally posted by kerouac9
Look, I don't want to write about my Lock of the Draft again, and you don't want to read about my Lock of the Draft again. Please, please, please, please, please, please, please stop talking about how we should draft Leftwich. How many Super Bowls has Bledsoe played in and won?

How many Super Bowls have the Cards been to? Leftwich looks like a good pick IF Suggs is gone. Glad to see you would pass on a first round QB of the future for a Third Rounder.

Ed B

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Section 11 has set the world record for using his "hunches" and opinions as ironclad facts in the past week. Leftwich is a superstar, Rien Long and Terrell Suggs suck, and we don't need to worry about the pass rush because Kyle Vanden Bosch is about to become a pass-rush terror and only struggled last year because he was hurt.

If you knew anything about football you'd understand the difference between Terrell Suggs and his 10 different pass-rush moves and KVB, who runs directly into the tackle and gets stood up on every single play and occasionally gets a hustle sack if the secondary coverage forces the QB to run around. Even if they were the same speed, Suggs would be a better pass rusher, but of course KVB is much slower. Somehow, though, it's become a fact that KVB is going to have 12 sacks this year.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ed B
I guess there's no point in arguing if people are going to insist that a bad workout means a guy is going to be a bust.

I hate to sound like an officious prick but if you watch Terrell Suggs on the field and think he has no speed and don't see that he has one of the most complete arrays of pass rush moves ever, you simply don't know crap about football. Same with Rien Long. You take the workout guy, I'll take the guy who knows how to play football. Go ahead, call me an cornholio now.

And for the record, I think Byron Leftwich is a stud.

Ed - you got to relax man - as far as I'm concerned, I wish we would take Leftwhich if he were there, but apparently we have our QB of the future with Josh - and I do like Suggs, but I would like him a hell of a lot more is his workout wasn't the failure that it was - 19 reps? 4.87 time - are you telling me that doesn't scare you even in the slightest bit? Come on now, there have been plenty of college studs who haven't amounted to **** in the pros - i hope that Suggs ain't one of them - well, if we draft him that is - otherwise the guy can suck as much as he wants.

Ed B

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by cheesebeef
Ed - you got to relax man - as far as I'm concerned, I wish we would take Leftwhich if he were there, but apparently we have our QB of the future with Josh - and I do like Suggs, but I would like him a hell of a lot more is his workout wasn't the failure that it was - 19 reps? 4.87 time - are you telling me that doesn't scare you even in the slightest bit? Come on now, there have been plenty of college studs who haven't amounted to **** in the pros - i hope that Suggs ain't one of them - well, if we draft him that is - otherwise the guy can suck as much as he wants.

Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila came out weighing about 240 and did 18 reps at the combine. And let's not forget how everyone talked themselves out of drafting Jevon Kearse for the same reason.

Was it a great workout? No, it sucked. Does a workout mean more than a 3 year college career on the field? No.

If you look at tape of Suggs running people down on the field, you would have to be forced to assume that the 4.8 time does not accurately reflect his playing speed.

But of course most people don't know $hit, they've seen the guy play once or twice and read some workout numbers and assume they know if he's going to be a bust or not.

JasonKGME

I'm a uncle's monkey??
Reaction score
lol, good stuff Shane.

Points 1 & 2 are the same thing in my mind. Great he had a piss poor personal work out, so your gonna bash him. Let me ask you a ??? if when he re-does his #'s he runs for a good 40 time and presses say 30 times, are you going to immediatly jump on the bandwagon and talk about how he's the greatest thing since sliced bread, and we should snag him if at all possible? Workout #'s mean diddly, its what you do on the field not off that we pay for.

Who says he's only playing 3rd down? You? Who made you the coach? Who's to say we get him and we dont make him an every down player?

See workout thread above.

Based on what I have heard of the situation, assuming what I have heard is true, I think 99.9% of the people on this board would do worse in that situation then he did. Only way he could have avoided the situation was to allow his cousin and the other guy to get into a big fight, and I dont see that as a good choice for option just to "avoid" a potentional bad off-field situation. He tried to play peacemaker and got smaked in the head with a piece of metal. Sucks to be him, but certainly not anywhere as bad as you are making it out to be.

I think this has been gone over several times. Firstly there are alot of very good ends around 250lbs. So not worried about his weight.

Without knowing the competition that Burke went against I can't argue this very well, but I will say much as I have stated in multiple Plummer threads, it's hard to compare players in different sitautitons based soley on thier stats.

Once again I assume you base that he is a slow Freeney based on his workout #'s. i know it cant be based on game study or film because Suggs is very fast,

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05