The Official Impatiently Awaiting the Finley News thread

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
Seriously guys, has this been the most ridiculous off season ever.....I mean all this waiting just to know what our starting 5 is going to look like....First the JJ saga and now this.......

To quote a wise man.......

"I'm freaking out man" - underrated (and unnamed) actor in the backseat of opening scene of Super Troopers

:stick:

Another quote comes to mind:

"Good things come to those who wait."

I'm not sure if this quote came from a wise man or a wise woman. :thumbup:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Yo Yo Ma!

That was classic. One of my favorite episodes.

(Off topic, sorry.)

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
"The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to
return soap at a deli"

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I just heard a rumor, and I think it is pretty believable.

Peanut Butter and Grape Jelly, when put together between two pieces of bread, make a really good sandwich.

Don't shoot the messenger, but I think the source on this one is legit.

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
"The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to
return soap at a deli"

"...trying to send back soup at a deli..."

That is about my favorite scene in all of Sienfeld...

The story...the way he tells it, and the ending and the look on Kramer's face...and the "Is that a Titleist?" line kills me...

Best.scene.ever.

Mike

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:
"...trying to send back soup at a deli..."

That is about my favorite scene in all of Sienfeld...

The story...the way he tells it, and the ending and the look on Kramer's face...and the "Is that a Titleist?" line kills me...

Best.scene.ever.

Mike

mine too. when i think of funniest scene in seinfeld, thats alawys the first to come to mind...

OT chandler mike....where did you go to high school? im form tempe/chandler and i went to CDS

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
mine too. when i think of funniest scene in seinfeld, thats alawys the first to come to mind...

OT chandler mike....where did you go to high school? im form tempe/chandler and i went to CDS

Valley Christian High, graduated in '93...

Mike

fordronken

Reaction score
Chaplin said:
I just heard a rumor, and I think it is pretty believable.

Peanut Butter and Grape Jelly, when put together between two pieces of bread, make a really good sandwich.

Don't shoot the messenger, but I think the source on this one is legit.

DB!!!!!

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Don't know if this was posted, but looks like Finley could be signing with Miami.

By Mario Morgan and Eric Pincus
for HOOPSWORLD.com
Aug 30, 2005, 23:00

After an off-season that has went on spurts of its own, it appears the final push is being made. Close sources to HOOPSWORLD.com has learned that moves are in motion that will finish up a large portion of the free agent market

First, the big fish left in the pond is Michael Finley. He is expected to name the Miami Heat as the winner for his services. The sides are believed to be close to a 3-year deal at the MLE which will keep Finley in South Beach, supplementing his long-term buyout plan with Dallas. Maverick's owner Mark Cuban is believed to offer accelerated the payment schedule with Finley because of his move to the Eastern Conference. The Heat would then be shooters around Shaquille O'Neal, with Finley added to Dwyane Wade, Antoine Walker, Jason Williams, and James Posey. No word yet on whether the Heat will petition the NBA to play with two balls at the same time.

The move by the Heat for Finley may send Damon Jones north as he is then expected to sign with the Cleveland Cavaliers. The Cavaliers have approximately $3.7 million left under the salary cap and have been searching all summer for a shooter at point guard position to play off LeBron James. Jones is reportedly already house hunting in Cleveland, as no one else has been looking to pay him the big money he was seeking.

The aftershocks continue on to Minnesota as the Timberwolves are rumored to look to sign Gary Payton after being snubbed by Finley. The team will hope Payton can spark the same competitive fire that Sam Cassell brought two years ago, as well as give Kevin Garnett some playoff hope (which of the two is more important is debatable).

The last man affected by the domino sequence could be Earl Watson. The defensive rock from Memphis has been searching for a big money contract this summer and found no takers. Now sources say he is looking for a 3 year, $10 million dollar deal from the Los Angeles Lakers. The Lakers have made it known they won't take any new contracts longer than two years to maintain flexibility for a potential cap space run in summer 2007. LA has their sights set on the potential big fish in that free agent market, but are also desperately in need of a pass-first point guard that can defend

The Lakers don't appear to be done there. They have had talks with the Memphis Grizzlies about not only Watson but Lorenzen Wright, as Eric Pincus previously reported. However concerns over his demand for an extension and his recent public domestic dispute have cast a cloud over the discussions. A deal may still be reached or LA could look elsewhere, such as Darius Songaila, although he is closely linked to Chicago.

Another guard on the market with kids to feed is Latrell Sprewell. Although having recent negotiations with the Denver Nuggets (George Karl has publicly expressed the interest), the two sides don't appear close to a deal. Sprewell has in fact again showed a strong interest in the LA Lakers has been lobbying the team for a deal, although its unknown if the Lakers are interested.

With training camp about a month away, the time of waiting is passing for most teams and free agents. With the money not flowing as much as it did in recent years, players are trying to get in while there is still opportunities to be had. Also, teams are looking to solidify their lineups. Expect even more deals in the upcoming week as the NBA season approaches.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This article is complete bull. Their "sources" are message boards, and most likely, Rick Bucher.

And then of course they mention the mythical payoff arrangement with Mark Cuban, who has already been quoted as saying that he offered to discuss it, but Finley turned it down (regardless of the legality of such a move).

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:
"Oh no, it's crazy Joe Davola!"

fdl!

Mike

ELAINE: Oh god, oh, its you! You scared me!
JOE DIVOLA: Good. Fear is our most primal emotion.
ELAINE: You left your door open.
JOE DIVOLA: I know, I like to encourage intruders.

The Opera is one of my favorite episodes.

http://www.stanthecaddy.com/

You can find almost anything regarding Seinfeld there.

Joe Mama

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is old news, but notion that the delay for Finley is that they are still negotiating the money seems credible.

Arizona Republic

Spurs coach likes Suns' shot to land Finley
Popovich cites undecided guard's opportunity to start, ties to Nash, Bell

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Aug. 31, 2005 12:00 AM

For every Suns fan pining for a morsel of hope that Michael Finley would have announced a return to Phoenix by now, here is a long-distance dedication from San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich:

"I'd be surprised if Phoenix wasn't his choice," Popovich told the San Antonio Express-News at a Spurs news conference welcoming ex-Finley teammate Nick Van Exel on Tuesday. "I think he's got a great opportunity to start there and play a lot of minutes. He's got great relationships with a couple of their players, Steve (Nash) and Raja (Bell, both ex-Dallas teammates). I think he'd be really comfortable there."

Alas, it means nothing until it comes out of the mouth of Finley or his agent, Henry Thomas. A Thomas assistant said Tuesday that Finley had not made a choice. A decision was expected early this week after Finley used the weekend to mull over in-person presentations from Miami, Phoenix, San Antonio and Minnesota. advertisement

Finley is either truly torn or still negotiating, creating more limbo for a Suns franchise that just went through the Joe Johnson ordeal. Phoenix is more than happy to wait out this one if it means landing Finley, waived by Dallas on Aug. 15 for luxury tax savings, for a $1.1 million salary this season.

The Suns have not been given any new timetable. Finley has no deadline, but given his private nature, he likely does not relish the spotlight of his most-wanted status.

If the delays have to do with negotiations, it could only be for more years in a contract elsewhere. None of the teams has salary-cap space to make a higher salary offer.

Miami has a $5 million midlevel exception that can be offered in a multi-year deal. San Antonio's and Minnesota's offers would start at only $2.5 million, making a long-term deal worth less than half of what the Heat can give him.

Phoenix would sign Finley to a one-year deal with a player option year, creating the flexibility for Finley to become a free agent again next summer or return to the Suns when they have their $5 million midlevel exception available again.

Because of an offset in the amnesty rule, Finley stands to net only $2 million more for the coming season if he is pitting Miami against Phoenix. However, Miami could offer Finley, 32, as much as three years for $16.2 million, four years for $22.4 million or five years for $29 million.

Finley, 49th on Sports Illustrated's list of wealthiest athletes for 2005, is owed $51.8 million by Dallas.

The Spurs perhaps give Finley his best shot at a title. He would start in Phoenix and could start in Miami, but might have to come off the bench with Van Exel in San Antonio behind guard Tony Parker and swingmen Bruce Bowen and Manu Ginobili.

Van Exel took the veteran's minimum before the Spurs even knew whether they needed the $2.5 million left on their midlevel exception for Finley. Van Exel also made a recruiting call Tuesday to Finley.

"I did my recruiting, but he didn't give me any hints," Van Exel told the Express-News. "I think he wants to keep it a big secret."

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
my reply to the hoops world.....if its all worked out salary wise and where he wants to play....why is he delaying the announcement....his agent said himself that they were likely to announce last night....sounds like indecision to me

BTW if hoopsworld is wrong about this i will NEVER read another article or read a post citing them as a reference....that site is so fugazi

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1:06 PM and nothing yet...

I'm starting to hate Finley now...make a decision already :)

Mike

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake