The Official Offseason: Who Really Needs To Step It Up In 2005?

WHO NEEDS TO BE THE MAN FOR IT TO HAPPEN? WHY? Pick 3-5

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
The Official Offseason Poll: Who Really Needs To Step It Up In 2005?

If we are gonna be a contender in 2005 which players are gonna step it up? Discuss among yourselves...you should be able to vote for more than one. :talk: :talk:

Last edited:

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
I picked Kurt Warner and Antrel Rolle.

Those two HAVE to perform.

Surprised there was no Oliver Ross, he was easily my third choice for the same reasons as the other two. Any of these three guys fail expectations, the team is hurting. It's fairly crucial that those three perform because of a SERIOUS lack of depth behind them.

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I got

"Big", Hayes, and Edwards. I also think both O guards. And, if B. Johnson can turn it up just one more notch (although I thought he played very well last year) that'll do it.
The MLB spot is crucial. Big needs to go pro bowl this year. Edwards will be a key to this offense going places this year. If we can get more of what he was showing at season's end last year, we're going to give defenses heck on the field.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Warner, JJ, Bridges, R. Davis and Hayes.

P.S. why isn't our new multi-million dollar R-tackle, not included in the list?

seesred

Reaction score
We must have a running game so in general the O-line and Shipp and JJ. Without them no offense this year. Oh , and of course I picked Warner. He has to be able to play well.

GBR
In Green we trust

JasonKGME

I'm a uncle's monkey??
Reaction score
I think this is easier to answer as far as what 3 POSITIONS have to have someone step up big time, and those are:

Quarterback
Runningback
Cornerback

Those were our 3 glaring trouble spots last year, so players in each of those positions have to step it up to have a sucessful year.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No brainer really.

Rolando Cantu

We must have him for that game in Mexico!

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
JJ, Warner, Rolle, Green. I wanted to pick Ross as well.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
I agree with CardLogic. The line is going to be critical this year in terms of protecting Warner and clearing the way for JJ.​

I think 'BIG' needs to have a Pro Bowl calibur year to anchor the line in pass protection. He is at 360lbs, which is about as light as I can ever remember him being! He was playing so well before he blew out his knee in 04' and I think he can be a dominant LT this year.​

'BIG E' is also a guy I consider to be very important. The quicker he picks up everything (i.e game speed, blocking schemes) the better this line will be. He is just like BIG, if he gets his hands on you. It's over. And I'm drooling at the possibility of watching Ross and 'BIG E' destroying people in the running game.​

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
jstadvl said:
"Big", Hayes, and Edwards. I also think both O guards. And, if B. Johnson can turn it up just one more notch (although I thought he played very well last year) that'll do it.
The MLB spot is crucial.......

I voted that position as well. Poor Linebacker play has killed the Cards for years. The inability to slow down the opponents run game and cover the short passes cost the Cards big time last season.

The offense will be better just by having healthy WR's so teams can't load up against the run. I can't wait to watch Fitz without the ankle problem and Boldin on the field for 16 games.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Warner especially. If we're looking at a decision between on who to start a meaningful game between McCown and Navarre we won't be going to the playoffs.

But the whole team also needs to step up. We did go 6-10 last year.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I voted Step, if anybody should STEP up it's Step.

And seriously I think a lot of people highly over rated how well he played last year he started because his backup was Leckey not because he was ready to start, for much of the first half of the year he was easily the worst starting C in the entire NFL, couldn't make the line calls, couldn't shotgun snap. Wasn't his fault he was forced to start. Both times we played the 49ers the scouting reports locally leading up to the game were about how vulnerable we were up the middle particularly at C and RG. brown should fill the RG, hopefully Step will handle C better this year.

He played better the 2nd half but he was still marginal at best. I think he'll improve he's a hard worker, well coached in college, and a fighter, but it remains to be seen if he has the physical ability to be anything more than an average center.

I think our guards will look a lot better this year if Step picks up where he left off last year, and even better.

I still want to see our OL in action I'm concerned that we've built an entire OL of run blockers(wells maybe the one guy who's a better pass blocker than run blocker), should be able to run the ball but really concerned how we'll protect Warner while this line comes together.

OP
OP
Mr.Dibbs

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
LVCARDFREAK said:
Wheres my boy Calvin Pace?

Already an afterthought!

I couldn't fit everybody. I think the poll maxes out at 30 or 40.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My picks:

Warner: needs to prove that he's the Superbowl winner and MVP from his days with the Rams. He's also our starting QB which is THE major leadership position.

BIG: he was good last year, needs to be great this year. Warner's success is going to depend on the protection he gets and our LT play is going to be very important.

Brown: teams didn't pass on him in the draft just for the heck of it. He needs to follow the lead of Dockett, Boldin and Dansby and show the rest of the league what a bad idea it was to pass on him. We really need him to produce at RG.

Hayes: our defense played extremely well last year and was downright scary at times but we proved to be vulnerable against the run. If he steps up with the rest of the additions we've made we can have an elite defense. I expect him to be able to make the kinds of plays that Ronni Mac was never able to do.

Rolle: help us, Antrell Rolle Kenobi, you're our only hope. The only proven solid corner on our roster is David Maclin. If teams can pick on Rolle it's going to be a long year. I think Griffith will be solid but he's not the type of safety that will be able to provide great coverage help is Rolle struggles and if Wilson has to help that takes him away from the line of scrimmage.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
I still want to see our OL in action I'm concerned that we've built an entire OL of run blockers(wells maybe the one guy who's a better pass blocker than run blocker), should be able to run the ball but really concerned how we'll protect Warner while this line comes together.

We didn't run many screen plays last year, which is something that DG said we need to get better at and then we'll use more often. If we can consistantly hurt defenses with screens then that will compensate for our guys not being as good at pass protection because the DL will be less willing to charge right in every play.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Warner, JJ Arrington, Brown and Antrelle.

If they all have big years, we will roll into the playoffs and do some damage.

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
I picked Warner, Arrington, R Davis and Bryant. Whichever of these guys gets the starting nod, he must be able to stuff the run better than last year. With our front 7, I figure we will get enough pressure on the QB that it will allow Rolle to grow into the position a little bit. Warner and Arrington for obvious reasons.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Rams4evah said:
Three years ago, who would have thought that Warner would be in a Cardinals uniform.

Not me...funny how things turn out...I've noticed, many Rams fans pine for Warner...do you think they are pining for Warner, or the winning ways of those teams?