The Official US Soccer thread

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The money in soccer has gotten ridiculous - comparing the value of past fees to current ones will just drive you insane. It’s like balking at a $750k house because it was only worth $400k five years ago. Market has changed and you very well might be waiting forever to find that house at $400k again.

I don’t think it’s a desperation move at all, but I do think he’ll have a tough time living up to what will probably end up being unrealistic expectations. Even after record after record of club selling fees, Brighton fans have seen Caciedo as the biggest one coming for awhile.
It isn't just the past, but this window too. How does Alex Mac Allister for 44M, but then Caiceido at 110M make sense? He isn't 3 times the player, or 3 times the potential.

There is now word that Caiceido only wants Chelsea and may block the move to Liverpool. (Has to be a wage structure tactic) Chelsea would probably pay him whatever wages he wants. Liverpool won't.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
It isn't just the past, but this window too. How does Alex Mac Allister for 44M, but then Caiceido at 110M make sense? He isn't 3 times the player, or 3 times the potential.

There is now word that Caiceido only wants Chelsea and may block the move to Liverpool. (Has to be a wage structure tactic) Chelsea would probably pay him whatever wages he wants. Liverpool won't.
Yeah... transfer drama!! And the difference in transfer fee is in large part due to the fact Mac Allister had a release clause built into his contract and Caciedo didn't. Mac Allister is worth more than 44M, but it's easy to argue that Caciedo is worth less than the ridiculously large 110M fee. Someone on the Brighton fan forum summarized it as "They paid 70M each to get the engines that ran our machine." From that perspective, it isn't totally crazy. BHA aren't big fans of Chelsea right now given how they have raided our team - not to their success - and refused to play ball on discussing including Levi Colwill (who we had on loan last year) in the deal for Caciedo.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah... transfer drama!! And the difference in transfer fee is in large part due to the fact Mac Allister had a release clause built into his contract and Caciedo didn't. Mac Allister is worth more than 44M, but it's easy to argue that Caciedo is worth less than the ridiculously large 110M fee. Someone on the Brighton fan forum summarized it as "They paid 70M each to get the engines that ran our machine." From that perspective, it isn't totally crazy. BHA aren't big fans of Chelsea right now given how they have raided our team - not to their success - and refused to play ball on discussing including Levi Colwill (who we had on loan last year) in the deal for Caciedo.
I'm sure that is how Southampton probably feels about Liverpool right now.

There is word that Chelsea are scrapping the Tyler Adams deal and may place 120M bid for Caciedo.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score

There is word that Chelsea are scrapping the Tyler Adams deal and may place 120M bid for Caciedo.
And now reports that Brighton have reached out on Adams - this is getting saucy!! Knowing how this has gone so far, this will all happen and Adams will outplay Caciedo. I've heard rumblings they may be willing to offer a player besides Colwill (Conner Gallagher was mentioned) to get the price down a little too.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And now reports that Brighton have reached out on Adams - this is getting saucy!! Knowing how this has gone so far, this will all happen and Adams will outplay Caciedo. I've heard rumblings they may be willing to offer a player besides Colwill (Conner Gallagher was mentioned) to get the price down a little too.
I saw that Chelsea was considering keeping the deal, and then trade Adams in a player swap. I don't know if that is even possible, but Brighton weren't intereted in Adams.

Let's table this and move it to another thread.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I saw that Chelsea was considering keeping the deal, and then trade Adams in a player swap. I don't know if that is even possible, but Brighton weren't intereted in Adams.

Let's table this and move it to another thread.
That's fair - the Adams thing is interesting/relevant here because he's USMNT captain, but agree that the larger topic does belong elsewhere.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Newcastle too--we snagged Livramento off of them. Unfortunately did Chelski a favor with the fee, as they had a sell-on clause when they dealt him to the Saints.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
The Athletic had an interesting article. Apparently there were 54 women who were born in the US that are playing/played for other nations in this WC. I guess the question is were none of these women good enough to make the US roster or were they never given a chance to compete for a roster spot. For those of you who have access to The Athletic here is the link.

https://theathletic.com/4760864/202...yers/?source=pulsenewsletter&campaign=7412546

Mostly, no - they weren't.

The Philippines national team is pretty much all US born. They've setup an infrastructure and pipeline out of California for a long time and now have some investors bringing it together.

You do have some true "dual nationals" with options where maybe they felt a stronger attachment or clearer path in another federation, but not sure they've given up a lock in the top 11

I can see it impacting depth, camp competition, etc

Agree with MO here.

This is more of an abundance of riches thing IMO. Lots of top countries have this same issue in the Mens game. Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Spain, etc all have players that could have played in Spain if their depth wasn't so insane.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Kane to Germany is ON! Unless he fails the medical. Good for Alan Shearer :D
Spurs looked more like a complete team without him today. Hope it continues.

Apparently Tyler adams is going to Bournemouth. Kind of a lateral move from last year since he’s going to be on a team battling to stay above the bottom 3. I am glad he’s not going to Chelsea.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
too early to get excited, but Pulisic had a great game for Milan. created a goal and scored a fab one. it's worth watching the highlight.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
too early to get excited, but Pulisic had a great game for Milan. created a goal and scored a fab one. it's worth watching the highlight.
Give us the highlight then! LOL

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Our national embarrassment continues! They did a coaching search, and couldn't come up with ONE name better than their mid coach who has an utterly broken relationship with OUR BEST PLAYER.

Just pathetic.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Yeah. That's not good.

Not sure he can handle the personalities on this team - summer of which cause concern, even with the better players - that is such a big part of the role

Not sure if he's the tough message guy

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Here is the roster for the upcoming pair of friendlies, no Reyna--is he injured or is Berhalter being a petty putz?

GOALKEEPERS (3): Drake Callender (Inter Miami; 0/0), Ethan Horvath (Nottingham Forest/ENG; 8/0), Matt Turner (Nottingham Forest/ENG; 32/0)

DEFENDERS (9): Sergiño Dest (PSV Eindhoven/NED; 26/2), Kristoffer Lund (Palermo/ITA; 0/0), Mark McKenzie (Genk/BEL; 11/0), Kevin Paredes (Wolfsburg/GER; 0/0), Tim Ream (Fulham/ENG; 51/1), Chris Richards (Crystal Palace/ENG; 10/1), Antonee Robinson (Fulham/ENG; 36/2), Miles Robinson (Atlanta United; 25/3), Joe Scally (Borussia Mönchengladbach/GER; 6/0)

MIDFIELDERS (6): Johnny Cardoso (Internacional/BRA; 7/0), Ben Cremaschi (Inter Miami; 0/0), Luca de la Torre (Celta Vigo/ESP; 16/0), Weston McKennie (Juventus/ITA; 44/11), Yunus Musah (AC Milan/ITA; 27/0), Malik Tillman (PSV Eindhoven/NED; 4/0)

FORWARDS (6): Brenden Aaronson (Union Berlin/GER; 32/7), Folarin Balogun (Arsenal/ENG; 2/1), Cade Cowell (San Jose Earthquakes; 8/1), Ricardo Pepi (PSV Eindhoven/NED; 16/7), Christian Pulisic (AC Milan/ITA; 60/25), Tim Weah (Juventus/ITA; 31/4)

Lorenzo

Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Our national embarrassment continues! They did a coaching search, and couldn't come up with ONE name better than their mid coach who has an utterly broken relationship with OUR BEST PLAYER.

Just pathetic.
very pathetic indeed. and I cannot believe he still has yet to reach out to Gio? what is he waiting for?

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Does a 4-0 win vs Oman do anything for you?

I watched some of the game. There’s some individual performances to be happy about, but it seems like they still lack in the final third. There are opportunities to make simple plays that would lead to goals and often the ball is held too long or the correct ball is rarely played.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I didn’t get to watch the Oman match, I wasn’t particularly impressed by the performance against Uzbekistan, 2 late goals made it look better than it really was. This was our first choice lineup minus Adams and maybe Reyna (who knows if Berhalter ever will consider Reyna first choice)…you expect a ton of legit chances and we aren’t seeing it.

I still don’t understand keeping Berhalter.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I watched both games and left both unimpressed by the overall play. Some players stood out like McKennie and Aaronson. Dest played decently and Antonee Robinson was his usual self. Outside of that, Pulisic stills leaves something to be desired and although he looked better than previously.

The inability to finish is still a huge liability for this team. The defense still leaks at times way too much. Overall it's the same problems as we have seen before and will be as long as Berhalter is leading the way.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake