The Official US Soccer thread

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
US was awful offensively versus Scotland, boring, lacking creativity...they had no spark untl AJ and Shea came in. No Donovan, Dempsey or Zusi probably contributed to that...but still it is disappointing against a very average Scotland.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched the replay, I want those two hours back. Boring all around.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brad Evans is painfully slow at RB. We need a better option there or we will be torched down that side come WC.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Breaking News: Klinsman and US have agreed to 4 year extension.

He's also taken on the technical director job. I'm of two minds, here. With our group of death, we may take an extreme beating, making this deal look way premature. Of course, if we advance and make noise, we'll be lauded as brilliant for thinking ahead. I'm fine with it. I don't think there's a ton of risk, because let's be frank--we're supposed to lose in this group. I like the idea of long-term stability under JK.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
I like the idea of long-term stability under JK.

Nailed it! Nine months ago The Sporting News was reporting USMNT players were questioning Jurgen's methods, tactical acumen, leadership skills, and were accusing him of losing the locker room.

This is an amazingly bold (and correct) decision to inform everyone involved with this program: This is the direction we have chosen. Step in line, or step off.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Michael Bradley from AS Roma to Toronto FC for an MLS record $10M transfer fee. Not a fan of successful USMNTers coming back to the MLS while still in their prime and at great European spots, but that appears to be the trend.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently there were multiple Euro teams interested, but MLS threw him the cash.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
For weeks, the rumor from Fulham was they wanted Michael to strengthen their middle and pair the two American internationals' chemistry (Dempsey on loan) for the second-half run to avoid relegation.

I'm torn by this trend to bring the USA's best back to MLS. If the league is financially stable enough to spend these kind of transfer fees, that is good news. Hopefully, this translates to more fans in the stands; I've watched more MLS games since the return of Duece than I have the last two years combined. Bringing back what the player have learned in training could also help improve the MLS, and these players can always return to Europe on loan during the off-season. Most importantly, the returning players will see consistent minutes on the pitch for every match.

However, its difficult to imagine they can retain the competitive edge that is necessary when it is a battle to get in the starting XI of a top European club team, every week. Not to mention the loss of facing world-class talent every match.

The best-case-scenario would be for these players to retain their discipline in training hard and bring that level of intensity toward becoming better, to MLS. Unfortunately, I have not yet witnessed Landon Donovan or Clint Dempsey making club players around them remarkably better.

Last edited:

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I have not yet witnessed Landon Donovan or Clint Dempsey making club players around them remarkably better.
I think there are a lot of LA Galaxy players, current and former, that would disagree including but not limited to Edson Buddle who parlayed playing alongside Donovan into a trip to the World Cup. Say that a few times. .......Edson Buddle.....World Cup. Yes, it happened. And LD had a huge part in it.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Was he getting consistent minutes at Roma? If so, this is a backwards move (not talking about $$ obviously).

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was he getting consistent minutes at Roma? If so, this is a backwards move (not talking about $$ obviously).

When he got there he was a rising star and had his moments. This year he'd been relegated to first guy off the bench ... still very good, but clearly demoted with his form here and there. He was very upset about it.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Hugely disappointed he didn't stay in Europe with the top competition. This will end up hurting the U.S. team. Not in a large way, but with two of our stars moving to MLS, it can certainly snowball.

I'd be willing to bet his injuries had a huge impact on his playing time with Roma, too.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake