"The Passion" non review thread

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen the movie yet and I am going to this weekend. But I just have a couple of questions.

First off why would the movie being done in English ruin it? How many people in todays world speak Aramic? Exactly how does reading subtitles for two+ hours make a movie better than being able to just understand what they are saying?

Secondly when you have to sit in a movie and read subtitles it completely takes away from the supposed beautiful cinemetography due to the fact that you are to busy reading instead of seeing whats happening on the screen.

To me a movie is mostly visual. If I have to sit and read 60% of the time Im in there how are you getting the visual stimulation?

Just curious why some of you like subtitles and how you think it makes it better than just doing the movie in English? Being that the countries who are going to supply most of this movies profits are English speaking.

Last edited:

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you ever see It's a Beautiful Life with Roberto Begnigni? It was ALL subtitles, yet after awhile, I forgot I was reading them.

Subtitles are not that bad, at least to me.

The Passion's subtitles weren't bad at all, mainly because it wasn't a dialogue-based movie...it was more visual. There wasn't a TON of speaking.

Anyways, the reason it would have ruined it had it been in English is just that it wouldn't have sounded as genuine. Hearing them speak in the language they would have spoken in brought it a lot of legitimacy.

Just my opinion.

Mike

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chandler Mike
Did you ever see It's a Beautiful Life with Roberto Begnigni? It was ALL subtitles, yet after awhile, I forgot I was reading them.

Subtitles are not that bad, at least to me.

The Passion's subtitles weren't bad at all, mainly because it wasn't a dialogue-based movie...it was more visual. There wasn't a TON of speaking.

Anyways, the reason it would have ruined it had it been in English is just that it wouldn't have sounded as genuine. Hearing them speak in the language they would have spoken in brought it a lot of legitimacy.

Just my opinion.

Mike

Fair enough. I guess its just a matter of taste. I never did see its a beautiful life. Never had an interest. The last subtitled movie I watched was Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. Having to sit there and read during the whole movie ruined it completely for me.

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike is correct - there wasn't much dialogue so in my opinion it didn't distract from the movie - at least to me it didn't.

Shawn

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my favorite War movies that I have on DVD is "Das Boot" and I have the option to watch it with Subtitiles or in English. I choose to watch it with Subtitles because I think it sets a more realistic atmosphere.

The first time I watched it in English I hated it and refuse to watch it like that again. Germans are not supposed to speak english.

To me Subtitles are not that big a deal. But I definately have to be in the mood to watch a movie with subtitles.

Billythekid

All Star
Reaction score
Amelie was obviously subtitled and one of the nicest looking films i've ever seen. It didn't take anything away from the visuals IMO.