The Playoff Race

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I would like the Suns to finish the season playing well but miss the playoffs. The Suns need a lottery pick, not Orlando's pick.
Here's the way I see it.

Suns make the playoffs, they likely end up with a 20-24 pick. (ORL pick)

Suns miss playoff, they likely end up with a 14th pick....again.

I'd much rather make the playoffs and actually root for them in post season than get a pick that's just 5 or 6 picks higher...that too in a real weak draft.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Suns will remember Tuesday's night loss at the Lakers if they don't make the playoffs, along with at least these five:

- Jan. 2 at Sacramento and Feb. 13 vs. Sacramento: Two of the Kings' 18 wins came against the Suns. In the first one, Suns led 87-75 with 5:50 to go before Sacramento closed with a 19-2 run. In the second, the Suns had a fourth-quarter lead at home and the Kings had left DeMarcus Cousins at home.

- Nov. 24 vs. Chicago: The Suns led by 23 and entered the fourth quarter leading by 12 at home but lost after two overtimes despite Chicago making its fifth consecutive road stop.

- Jan. 22 at Detroit: The Suns lost a game in which it held the opponent to fewer than 80 points for the first time in their history. They lost 75-74 with seven consecutive misses down the stretch.

- Dec. 8 vs. Memphis: Rudy Gay made a 3-pointer at the buzzer to force overtime, where Zach Randolph finished a 34-point game. Memphis' win clinched the season series.

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score
Good posts sunsfan88. I wish you guys the best and kept hoping you would make it to the POs even though I would not be sure the Spurs would beat you there. Now it does not look like it will happen. I really wished for you to beat the Fakers of course. Looking at the schedule I see that we will meet two more times this season, at the very end. I hope that the Spurs secure HCA before those games but maybe it will be difficult now when Duncan is out.

Last edited:

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns will remember Tuesday's night loss at the Lakers if they don't make the playoffs, along with at least these five:

- Jan. 2 at Sacramento and Feb. 13 vs. Sacramento: Two of the Kings' 18 wins came against the Suns. In the first one, Suns led 87-75 with 5:50 to go before Sacramento closed with a 19-2 run. In the second, the Suns had a fourth-quarter lead at home and the Kings had left DeMarcus Cousins at home.

- Nov. 24 vs. Chicago: The Suns led by 23 and entered the fourth quarter leading by 12 at home but lost after two overtimes despite Chicago making its fifth consecutive road stop.

- Jan. 22 at Detroit: The Suns lost a game in which it held the opponent to fewer than 80 points for the first time in their history. They lost 75-74 with seven consecutive misses down the stretch.

- Dec. 8 vs. Memphis: Rudy Gay made a 3-pointer at the buzzer to force overtime, where Zach Randolph finished a 34-point game. Memphis' win clinched the season series.

Amazing Sunsfan, Arizona Central has this exact information on their website, in this exact wording! You may want to report them for plagarism or copyright violation!

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/sun...ns-playoff-hopes-los-angeles-lakers-loss.html

;)

Last edited:

Stargazer

Registered
Reaction score
I'm still optimistic that we will pass NO before the end of the season. They really should have lost to Utah last night, but Utah is actually one of the easier games they have left on their schedule. If all they can do is barely squeeze past Utah in OT, then I'm thinking they may lose a lot of those remaining games.

The lottery pick issue is pointless, by the way. This team has a chance to be pretty good next season, but that's because Carter's contract will expire, Gortat and Nash will have an entire season to work on their PnR, Frye will continue to grow his game, and Brooks will find his niche. (On the other hand, Nash and Hill will be another year older.) But lottery's got nothing to do with it.

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
The next 2 games against the Hornets are big. If the Suns can win the next 2 games they would own the tiebreaker over the Hornets.

Teams to root for
Chicago over Memphis

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's the way I see it.

Suns make the playoffs, they likely end up with a 20-24 pick. (ORL pick)

Suns miss playoff, they likely end up with a 14th pick....again.

I'd much rather make the playoffs and actually root for them in post season than get a pick that's just 5 or 6 picks higher...that too in a real weak draft.

As of now, there is 9-10 spots difference between Phoenix' pick versus the Orlando pick. This is significant. I would not minimize how this might impact Phoenix getting a better talent in the draft.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
couple of big games tonight, hornets - suns duh.

and memphis vs chicago. bulls leading at the half.

next game for houston i sunday vs heat.

all we can do is take care of our game, and hopefully get some help from the bulls and heat.
sad that the jazz gave away the game to the grizz.

ninous26

Registered
Reaction score
Bulls up by 2 with 4.3 left in the game.. It would be HUGE if we won today against NO and Memphis lost.. We'd gain a big fat game on them in the standings.

OP
OP
Griffin

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I thought that the New Orleans game would be an elimination game for the Suns, and right now I feel like the Suns have just been eliminated. It's a shame that the team itself did not share this sentiment prior to the game, but it will dawn on them soon. The Suns could not pull out a win in the one game they absolutely needed to win.

I know some of you are really happy now the Suns will mostly likely end up with a lottery pick, but somehow the thought of drafting the next Earl Clark doesn't get me all that excited.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Mods please lock this thread. Suns are out of the playoffs.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought that the New Orleans game would be an elimination game for the Suns, and right now I feel like the Suns have just been eliminated. It's a shame that the team itself did not share this sentiment prior to the game, but it will dawn on them soon. The Suns could not pull out a win in the one game they absolutely needed to win.

I know some of you are really happy now the Suns will mostly likely end up with a lottery pick, but somehow the thought of drafting the next Earl Clark doesn't get me all that excited.

The Suns can always use the lottery pick in trying to trade for another player. I agree, the Suns drafting stinks.

Stargazer

Registered
Reaction score
Wow. Didn't see that one coming at all. Did the Suns somehow not realize they had to win this game? I can always live with a loss, but I have trouble living with the team not even seeming to care about the game. I can't remember a big game, ever, where the Suns went down without a fight.

No chance now. But if we aren't going to put it on the line in a big game, then we never had a chance anyway. Really disappointed with the team. Never thought I'd say that.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Yamon, we won't get a difference maker in the draft, at least not for next year. I am hoping we get a new coach. I hope Nash sticks around, he plays well when he isn't on the court for insane minutes. I absolutely love our team next year with a new coach.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was it for the Suns. For them to even have a shot, they would have to go undefeated the rest of the way. That is not happening.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was it for the Suns. For them to even have a shot, they would have to go undefeated the rest of the way. That is not happening.

I thought the lid was nailed shut the day Frye was mugged by OKC, especially since Nash was already playing injured (and poorly).

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought the lid was nailed shut the day Frye was mugged by OKC, especially since Nash was already playing injured (and poorly).

Steve

Now we can add an injured Gortat, a regressed Lopez and a non-existent Carter to that list. The Suns never had a margin for error.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I hope they just sit Gortat for the rest of the season. No need to play him while he's injured since our season's over anyway.

Might as well just play Lopez 30-35 minutes to see if he can make anythin good out of himself.

So frustrating...Suns controlled their own destiny even after all the mess we had to go through before and they destroyed it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope they just sit Gortat for the rest of the season. No need to play him while he's injured since our season's over anyway.

Might as well just play Lopez 30-35 minutes to see if he can make anythin good out of himself.

So frustrating...Suns controlled their own destiny even after all the mess we had to go through before and they destroyed it.

Sometimes things happen for the best or so I tell myself. Anyway, I like making the playoffs but the Suns clearly did not belong. The Suns needed the lottery pick so much more. Unless the Suns somehow get a good lottery selection, I'd like them package it with a player(s) and get something proven in return. Like how they got Gortat and Brooks via trades.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Sometimes things happen for the best or so I tell myself. Anyway, I like making the playoffs but the Suns clearly did not belong. The Suns needed the lottery pick so much more. Unless the Suns somehow get a good lottery selection, I'd like them package it with a player(s) and get something proven in return. Like how they got Gortat and Brooks via trades.
Yea the pick would likely have to be involved with Nash or Hill to get somethin good.

Prior to the deadline, there was talk about possibly gettin Roddy Beaubois and picks from Dallas for Nash.

I'm guessing something like that is what you mean.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Yea the pick would likely have to be involved with Nash or Hill to get somethin good.

Prior to the deadline, there was talk about possibly gettin Roddy Beaubois and picks from Dallas for Nash.

I'm guessing something like that is what you mean.
well beaubois hasn't wowed yet like he was in the playoffs last year against the spurs. hopefully this guy can step his game up so the mavs can have some long term back court security. right now they have a lot of guards that help, but no superstars.

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the Suns magic # for being officially eliminated from the playoffs is 2.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05