The QB change, as I see it.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Did Matt really have a dislocated shoulder? I thought that it was a bruise or something. A real dislocation is not something that you come back from in three weeks. Just ask Clinton Portis.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why would we even have to consider dumbing down the offense for Matt. He's the MOST prepared QB to come out of college ever & that includes greats such as Marino, Montana, Manning, etc, etc. This kid was born to read a defense & then dissect it. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Leinart will elevate the play of our OL. It may take 2 weeks, but this offense will average 30 pts/game under his direction. Leinart will be far more decisive than Warner & will go through his progressions as quickly as Manning does.

OP
OP
Skkorpion

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Matt's injury was not a sprain. At first it was called a separation but Matt later admitted it was a dislocation that popped back in quickly.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He took Rivers and Cutler over Eli Manning, Ben Rothlisberger, Matt Leinart and Vince Young??? Well I guess we all have our opinions.

Last edited:

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Matt's injury was not a sprain. At first it was called a separation but Matt later admitted it was a dislocation that popped back in quickly.
That is correct. I remember Matt's post game comments and that is what he said.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
That's unfair to both Matt Leinart and Denny Green. Unfair to Leinart because he's not schooled enough in the system yet and because the offensive line might get him killed. And unfair to Green because rookie quarterbacks almost always struggle, regardless of potential.
Green's fall will not be QB but the OL he has failed to put together in 3 years, poorly prepared team, and in game clock management.

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Ahhh yeah I remember that now. I guess it was like a minor dislocation perhaps. He said he popped it back in on the sideline a few minutes after it happened. Happened on his right shoulder not his left.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The real key with Leinart is will he grow in wisdom or get beat up, either physically or mentally. Leinart is more mobile than Warner and can better cope with a poor line. However, no QB can do well with a weak line and no running game. It’s a "no win" situation from my point of view and the change would have been better to do after the bye week (though the Cards have a shot against KC). Saving the season is not the issue and that’s the only reason to change now. This season is gone. Saving the future is the issue.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The real key with Leinart is will he grow in wisdom or get beat up, either physically or mentally. Leinart is more mobile than Warner and can better cope with a poor line. However, no QB can do well with a weak line and no running game. It’s a "no win" situation from my point of view and the change would have been better to do after the bye week (though the Cards have a shot against KC). Saving the season is not the issue and that’s the only reason to change now. This season is gone. Saving the future is the issue.

Harry, in your article "The Big Finish", you projected your season wins and losses and had us at 2 -2 at this point. You also felt that we would probably lose to KC this weekend. Yet you still had us going 9 - 7. We are only one game behind where you thought we would be, with only 25% of the season gone, yet the season is gone?

IMHO, we lost the Rams game due to poor QB play. There were obviously other factors involved, but it was generally felt that the o-line held its own. There is an argument to be made that poor QB play cost us both the Seattle & ATL games. If we are losing games because of the QB, and then replace the QB with someone arguably better in all the catagories the original one was weak in, why is the season gone?

I respect your opinion, but I am having trouble following your logic. If you are saying that the season is over because the o-line is irrepairable, would you rather see Navarre playing?

If Green was to continue playing Warner, he would have lost the team, and the season was over. At least with Leinart, there is still a chance the season can be saved.

The Shark

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
The OL played well in the Rams game, it was all Warner who cost the game. Now Falcons game was a totally different story. That was the worst OL performance of this season.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The OL played well in the Rams game, it was all Warner who cost the game. Now Falcons game was a totally different story. That was the worst OL performance of this season.

After reading the article where a "source" claimed Green thought he should have cleaned house earlier to eliminate the "same old Cards" attitude i wouldn't be surprised if the Rams loss didn't cause the poor play against Atlanta.

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score

Harry:

I agree completely that the swap of Kurt Warner and Matt Leinart behind center is likely to make little or no difference in the Cardinals' record this season. I voted that way on a recent poll held on this board, as did you.

But I was impressed by Leinart's performance against the Chiefs yesterday (against whom the Cards did, indeed, "have a shot"). And it had become obvious that Warner could not play consistent, mistake-free ball behind this offensive line.

So why not use what already appears to be a lost season to give Leinart some additional on-the-job training? He appears to be mobile enough to avoid some of the punishment that Warner absorbed, and he seems more willing to dump the ball off than Warner was when under pressure. As a result, I'm less concerned than I was that Leinart will get hurt behind the Cards' miserable OL, and every game that he starts will be another step in his development.

Whaddayathink? :confused:

WC

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
We can only hope that Matt Leinart will, in time, elevate the Cardinals' level of play as much as Kurt Warner's poor play seemed to downgrade it... Maybe I'm just too optimistic, but since I do think Kurt Warner's poor play was primarily responsible for our 1-3 start, if Leinart is as good as many Cards fans believe, the entire team's level of play should rise these next few weeks.

Skkorp:

I eagerly await the day when every positive/upbeat comment about Matt Leinart isn't accompanied by a swipe at Kurt Warner. Warner didn't fumble or throw interceptions in a vaccuum. And in less than five quarters behind center, I've seen Leinart throw two INTs, fumble the ball away once, and take several sacks he shouldn't have.

As far as I'm concerned, both quarterbacks are handicapped by OL play which has been consistently among the worst in the league this season. The most-obvious reasons for anticipating that Leinart may get better results than Warner is that the younger QB is better able to run away from the pass rushers that elude his blockers, and more willing to dump the ball for a short gain than hold the ball under pressure trying to make a throw downfield.

Make no mistake. After yesterday's game, I'm glad this switch was made. Warner's best football seems clearly to be behind him, while it's all upside for Leinart. And although I don't expect the rookie to magically produce an extra 3-4 wins with this flawed offense, at least it'll be fun watching him try.:thumbup:

WC