The salary cap is a joke...

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
every couple of years the cap space goes up and the players and their agents naturally react by demanding even larger contracts which basically means the cap does nothing but have teams and their fans pull their hair out over who there core players are and that is even a joke... if your any good as a team, that usually means you have about 10 players which are core guys but you can only really afford maybe 5. Sometime in the distant future they will just eradicate the cap and then some teams will dwarf others in talent and pay rolls, then athletes will finally start making so much money that society will have a wake up call and the existence of professional sports will have a revolution of sorts. What that will be I have no idea, but in about 20 years it will happen. The amount of money we are worrying about with Fitz might even be considered normal in a few years lol

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Jet, you are right. We hear every year how teams who are signing players to big contracts are going to be in "Cap Hell". But it almost never happens,

Always remember, and thanks Dollar Bill Bidwill for teaching me this, in the NFL its not what you spend it's how you spend it.

The Cards have to hold the NFL record for making ridiculous decisions concerning free agency, letting our talented players leave and signing bums to big contracts to replace them.

Of course with the exception of the Denny Green years. :p

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I will take it over what ever the hell they are doing in baseball any day.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I will take it over what ever the hell they are doing in baseball any day.

Sure, but the baseball players love it. :D

Baseball, thanks to their playoff format has different teams win every year. Meanwhile the same teams win all the time in the NFL. Especially in the AFC where NE has won their Division 10 of the last 11 years and either NE, Indy, or Pittsburgh have been in the SB 10 of the last 13 seasons. Add in Denver and you have 15 of the last 19.

I like what the NBA does, or did, where there is a cap but you can go above it to sign your own players. So for instance Fitz' contract wouldn't be a problem for Arizona.

Last edited:

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
every couple of years the cap space goes up and the players and their agents naturally react by demanding even larger contracts which basically means the cap does nothing but have teams and their fans pull their hair out over who there core players are and that is even a joke... if your any good as a team, that usually means you have about 10 players which are core guys but you can only really afford maybe 5. Sometime in the distant future they will just eradicate the cap and then some teams will dwarf others in talent and pay rolls, then athletes will finally start making so much money that society will have a wake up call and the existence of professional sports will have a revolution of sorts. What that will be I have no idea, but in about 20 years it will happen. The amount of money we are worrying about with Fitz might even be considered normal in a few years lol

inflation.

Footballs salary cap is a major proponent of it becoming the #1 sport in America. I love it. Parity is GREAT for sports.

Its the same reason I dont do cash games of texas hold em, only tournaments. That way everyone starts even vs one guy having tons of money and crushing you with large bluff bets.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The salary cap in 2009 was $123 million. The salary cap for 2013 was $123 million.
Now that's a joke.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So riddle me this, how come the music and movie industries haven't collapsed with their top stars dwarfing what any FB player makes?

It's all entertainment and people will pay to be entertained. The market finds it own balance so there will be no revolution coming or ......

What amazes me is how much MLB players get. Sure they play 160 games but do they really get any kind of TV or radio revenue, at least compared to the NFL. All this tells me is that the NFL owners are geniuses and the latest CBA has to have them sitting on bizillions of dollars.

Owners will not give up money out of their pockets. Those who want to win the most will spend a little bit extra on coaches and facilities to win it all over going Steinbrenner and trying to buy talent to win championships.

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
...and that's why I do cash games more than tournaments. I want all the advantage I can get.

inflation.

Footballs salary cap is a major proponent of it becoming the #1 sport in America. I love it. Parity is GREAT for sports.

Its the same reason I dont do cash games of texas hold em, only tournaments. That way everyone starts even vs one guy having tons of money and crushing you with large bluff bets.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...and that's why I do cash games more than tournaments. I want all the advantage I can get.

advantage is great but I dont have thousands to throw at poker.

Tournaments I can come in with 100-500 and come out way ahead or lose.

If I come to a cash game with 500 and you are there with 10,000 it is pointless for me to play.

bigfan1357

Reaction score
At the end of the day I doubt people will rise up against sports teams or players because of the crazy high wages they earn....people are 2 lazy and unless the money is directly coming out of their pocket, they will not care, look at the price of gas

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
The distribution of money in the NFL is a joke---especially when the commissioner gets over 1/3 of a team's whole salary cap per annum.

Plus---let's face it, the veterans are now getting screwed. They are no longer getting the contracts they used to, and now teams are loathe to sign veterans if they want to receive compensatory draft picks.

I have never ever understood the need for compensatory draft picks. Every team has to work under the same cap---if a team chooses not to re-sign its own veterans or make many moves in free agency, that's on them. They shouldn't be rewarded for being inactive or for mismanaging their caps. Ridiculous---and is one of the reasons why some organizations are playoff contenders every year.

The other thing is the draft order---the NFL should do what the NBA does and have a lottery---there should never be an incentive to lose. It still rips me that the Colts can tank a year and get Andrew Luck and now be playoff contenders 20 years in a row (including the Manning years), save the one year they tanked.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake