The Sean Taylor Beatdown

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Was it just me or was the Sean Taylor hit on Brian Moorman the most viscous hit the Pro Bowl has ever seen. Hold on, I am young so maybe you more year-advanced guys have seen better but that is the best I remember. If someone could, please put the hit on here so I can see it again.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
If you ask me, it was uncalled for. In what amounts to an exhibition game that means absolutely nothing (except an extra $20k to the winner), you don't need to hit a guy that hard that could injure him, end his career, etc.

I'm glad Moorman is alright.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
It's entertainment, you cant ask them to not hit hard. That will get more people injured than just letting them play.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He had no business running the ball in the first place .. punters are supposed to punt not run ...

Then after getting hit and coming to his senses he runs back out on the field and congratulates Taylor ... whats up with that .. ??

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score
Wow. The hate for Sean Taylor (and The U) is thick. There was no reason to call Sean a thug for that play.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From PFT ...

TAYLOR HIT CROSSED THE LINE
Although the Pro Bowl hit from Redskins safety Sean Taylor on Brian Moorman was fun to watch, there's a strong feeling in league circles that Taylor's decision to blow up the Bills punter violates an unwritten rule that applies to the NFL's annual exhibition game in Hawaii.

Despite the fact that Moorman is being magnanimous (thank you, Tiki) about the whole thing, Taylor had no business slamming his body at full speed into Moorman.

As it has been explained to use, the code among players in the Pro Bowl is to tackle, but not hit. The same approach applies in other All-Star Games. Why else would both the NHL and NBA versions of the meaningless midseason game involve so much scoring?

Duetto

Rookie
Reaction score
Taylor DID NOT have to blow that guy up like that. It is the damn Pro Bowl, give me a break...... a school girl can blow up a punter. I looked at the reply over and over, he could have easily rapped up and tackled him. Another thug from the U..... makes sense.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Blame Taylor all you want but whoever called that play should be hung out to dry.

It was a perfectly legal hit. Why is Taylor a thug? Haven't any of you been in a situation where you aren't supposed to go full bore like a practice or playing a friendly where you just jack some one up?

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
The issue is that the hit would be fine in pre-season, regular season, or playoffs.

But is' over the line in the Pro Bowl, in my opinion. Some of these guys have played for 6 weeks prior to the game. No need to hurt anybody.

For example, did you see the field goal trys? Nobody rushes. This game isn't about hitting or injuries, it about particiating and being recognized.

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score
Let's not act like this was Night Train Lane here. Moorman got up and congratulated him. It wasn't that big of a deal for him, so why should we get up in arms about it? Are we that depressed that the season is at it's end that you need to nitpick and sensationalize this to garner a discussion?

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
This game isn't about hitting...
For this reason the game shouldn't even be played. I understand your point but football is dangerous game, even when people are going easy. That's how things like LeCharles Bentley blowing out his knee on the first day of preseason happens. If the game is only for recognition, why are they calling a trick play? That play shouldn't have been called.

BigWatson

Registered
Reaction score
it was an unbelievable hit and i loved it. moorman couldve gone out of bounds but he cut back inside and then he got knocked the f*ck out by taylor. adrian wilson loved the hit also as he was the first one to high-5 taylor after that play. man that would be sick. taylor and wilson at safety for the cardinals :)

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Hahaha! That was great! It isn't like Taylor went for Moorman's knees. He hit him in the chest with his shoulder.

If that hit crossed the line then they should make the Pro Bowl two-hand touch. If people have a problem with the punter getting hit then don't have him running with the ball. Or teach him to get out of bounds.

:biglaugh:

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Wow...you blew up a punter on a fake punt.

Nice hit but...it was the punter, so -2.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Pro Bowl is a dangerous game to be played. Football is a high speed , high contact game. If some guys are taking it easy, that is fine, and is probably the way it should be, but it isn't that way for some guys. I don't see how that makes Sean Taylor a thug. Who was it that hit Drew Brees in the knee and ended up dislocating his elbow. Oh yes, Terrell Suggs. Is he a thug? Pete Rose is a thug. He arguably ended Ray Fosse's career in an All Sar game by slamming him at the plate when he didn't have the ball. None of it is right, but the thug label is just over the top. Guys like John Lynch, Rodney Harrison, Adrian Wilson, Roy Williams, Troy Palameulo and Sean Taylor all play the safety spot and are all pros. They spend most games trying to blow people up. That is the scheme. It was definitely an over the top play, but that is football.

Somebody suggested it shouod be flag football. It probbaly should be, but then Robert Edwards had his career ended when he blew out his knee playing in a Pro Bowl , on the beach sand , flag football game.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
The Pro Bowl is a dangerous game to be played. Football is a high speed , high contact game.

I think it's a huge issue and someone is really going to get hurt.

Why not just name the Pro Bowl team, and then send everyone out to Hawaii for a vacation/media/fan event where the players spend more time with fans and put on clinics, skills competitions, and charity events?

That way even injured players can come out and even if they don't, you don't need to name replacement Pro-Bowlers...it would make the honor even more exclusive.

Scot1

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure of Wallyburger's stance on this: Yes, Pete Rose was a thug. One time he slid into Bud Harrelson spikes first, then proceded to beat up the shortstop that he outweighed by 50 pounds. Hustled hard and hit well, no doubt, but also was dirty, a liar, and a thug. I rooted for the Reds back then, but never really liked him, and certainly not after the dirt came out.

I also think the CardFan is right. An All-Star game might make sense in baseball or tennis, where teamwork is not relevant, but in basketball or football you get a meaningless, mediocre game, at best a showcase for show-offs. Add the risk of injury to that and it is a net punishment for the players named to it--a dumb thing to do to people we're trying to honor.

Last edited:

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure of Wallyburger's stance on this: Yes, Pete Rose was a thug. One time he slid into Bud Harrelson spikes first, then proceded to beat up the shortstop that he outweighed by 50 pounds. Hustled hard and hit well, no doubt, but also was dirty, a liar, and a thug. I rooted for the Reds back then, but never really liked him, and certainly not after the dirt came out.

I also think the CardFan is right. An All-Star game might make sense in baseball or tennis, where teamwork is not relevant, but in basketball or football you get a meaningless, mediocre game, at best a showcase for show-offs. Add the risk of injury to that and it is a net punishment for the players named to it--a dumb thing to do to people we're trying to honor.

I, for one, thought the Pete Rose play was terrible. I would love to see that play taken out of baseball alltogether, but Pete Rose doing that to Fosse in the All Star game was senseless.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
Is it just me or do half of the players voted in just not play citing "injuries" that they played through during the season. The game is a joke. But, for what it is worth, football is football. You put those pads on you don't hit people "half way" or "not as hard". When you do that people get hurt. You strap em on, you run the chance of getting hit. It is like saying pitchers should only throw fastballs during the All-Star game. The inherent problem is not Taylor, but like many pointed out, the fact that this is a violent, risky game to be playing for no purpose. The other factor hurting the game's draw is the SEASON'S OVER!!! It is very anti-climatic.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
Wow...you blew up a punter on a fake punt.

Nice hit but...it was the punter, so -2.

Kind of like fighting a girl (if you are a guy) Two possibilities and neither are flattering. 1) you win, but you just beat up a girl, dude. Or 2) you lose and you just got whooped by a girl. It is a lose-lose.

OP
OP
cardsfanmd

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hahaha! That was great! It isn't like Taylor went for Moorman's knees. He hit him in the chest with his shoulder.

If that hit crossed the line then they should make the Pro Bowl two-hand touch. If people have a problem with the punter getting hit then don't have him running with the ball. Or teach him to get out of bounds.

:biglaugh:
yeah, but robert edwards of the pats ended his career in a flag game at the pro bowl. Bottom line, football in any way shape or form is dangerous, if you dont like the heat get the hell out of the oven

OP
OP
cardsfanmd

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it's a huge issue and someone is really going to get hurt.

Why not just name the Pro Bowl team, and then send everyone out to Hawaii for a vacation/media/fan event where the players spend more time with fans and put on clinics, skills competitions, and charity events?

That way even injured players can come out and even if they don't, you don't need to name replacement Pro-Bowlers...it would make the honor even more exclusive.
i agree

OP
OP
cardsfanmd

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Pro Bowl is a dangerous game to be played. Football is a high speed , high contact game. If some guys are taking it easy, that is fine, and is probably the way it should be, but it isn't that way for some guys. I don't see how that makes Sean Taylor a thug. Who was it that hit Drew Brees in the knee and ended up dislocating his elbow. Oh yes, Terrell Suggs. Is he a thug? Pete Rose is a thug. He arguably ended Ray Fosse's career in an All Sar game by slamming him at the plate when he didn't have the ball. None of it is right, but the thug label is just over the top. Guys like John Lynch, Rodney Harrison, Adrian Wilson, Roy Williams, Troy Palameulo and Sean Taylor all play the safety spot and are all pros. They spend most games trying to blow people up. That is the scheme. It was definitely an over the top play, but that is football.

Somebody suggested it shouod be flag football. It probbaly should be, but then Robert Edwards had his career ended when he blew out his knee playing in a Pro Bowl , on the beach sand , flag football game.
sorry, i hadn't read your post before i practically wrote the same thing

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05