the TE the Cards SHOULD covet this year

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forget Vernon Davis, forget Marcedes, Byrd etc.

The guy the Cards really covet is Ed Nelson of UCONN.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/news/story?id=2407856

STORRS, Conn. -- Connecticut basketball player Ed Nelson has decided to pursue a career in the National Football League, playing a sport he hasn't competed in since his freshman year of high school.

The 6-foot-8, 265-pound senior power forward plans to work out for NFL teams April 21 on the UConn campus.

"I have gotten great feedback in the last week that I am an individual that NFL teams could and will be very interested in," Nelson said Thursday. "I am anxious for the chance to show scouts next week that I can help their team in the future."

School officials said Nelson played youth football and played one year of high school football before focusing on basketball full-time.

Nelson's agent, Joe Linta, represents dozens of NFL players and coaches, including linemen Will Shields of the Kansas City Chiefs and Matt Birk of the Minnesota Vikings and Cleveland Browns head coach Romeo Crennel.

"I came up to work out Ed with little expectations and came away convinced that he is an NFL prospect at the tight end position," Linta said. "He is very quick, has outstanding hands and great lower body strength."

Nelson, from Fort Lauderdale, Fla., played 29 games as a reserve for the UConn basketball team after transferring from Georgia Tech, where he was the ACC rookie of the year in 2001-02. He averaged three points and three rebounds per game at Connecticut.

At St. Thomas Aquinas High School, he averaged 26 points and 11 rebounds in his senior year and led the team to the Class 5A state title. He was named Florida Player of the Year for Class 6A-5A-4A by the Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel.

"He clearly has the talent to play basketball at the professional level, but if anyone can make the transition, it's him," UConn basketball coach Jim Calhoun said.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And you know the Card's covet this guy.....How?

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dreamcastrocks said:
And you know the Card's covet this guy.....How?

Sorry forgot the smiley at the end, that was sarcasm. he's the latest basketball player trying to make it in the NFL. they expect jai Lewis of George Mason to try the same thing.

Calhoun's comments about Nelson's pro basketball chances are fairly comical, he averaged 3 PPG his last 2 years there.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotcha,

You never know these days. Some people seem to know what Green's draft chart looks like......

Crimson Storm

#11, 81, 32
Reaction score
I know alot of people are amazed by Vernon Davis' potential, but I would rather see us addressing O-line, Safety..in the early rounds and pick up a combo Tight End..who can block in the later rounds like Oregon TE, Tim Day.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
It wouldn't surprise me if Fendi Onobun tried this one day. Ed Nelson doesn't have the hands or speed to play TE in the NFL.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Nothing like some fool who doesn't know the game to say he belongs in the pro's.

ONE GUY MADE IT, San Diego TE

So what, ONE GUY.

I wouldn't waste a pick on him.

any team that does has their head in thier arse.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think Bergen is going to be just fine. Granted I wouldn't blame Denny if he snatched him up, but I think E.B. will only get better.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Forget Vernon Davis, forget Marcedes, Byrd etc.

The guy the Cards really covet is Ed Nelson of UCONN.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/news/story?id=2407856

STORRS, Conn. -- Connecticut basketball player Ed Nelson has decided to pursue a career in the National Football League, playing a sport he hasn't competed in since his freshman year of high school.

The 6-foot-8, 265-pound senior power forward plans to work out for NFL teams April 21 on the UConn campus.

"I have gotten great feedback in the last week that I am an individual that NFL teams could and will be very interested in," Nelson said Thursday. "I am anxious for the chance to show scouts next week that I can help their team in the future."

School officials said Nelson played youth football and played one year of high school football before focusing on basketball full-time.

Nelson's agent, Joe Linta, represents dozens of NFL players and coaches, including linemen Will Shields of the Kansas City Chiefs and Matt Birk of the Minnesota Vikings and Cleveland Browns head coach Romeo Crennel.

"I came up to work out Ed with little expectations and came away convinced that he is an NFL prospect at the tight end position," Linta said. "He is very quick, has outstanding hands and great lower body strength."

Nelson, from Fort Lauderdale, Fla., played 29 games as a reserve for the UConn basketball team after transferring from Georgia Tech, where he was the ACC rookie of the year in 2001-02. He averaged three points and three rebounds per game at Connecticut.

At St. Thomas Aquinas High School, he averaged 26 points and 11 rebounds in his senior year and led the team to the Class 5A state title. He was named Florida Player of the Year for Class 6A-5A-4A by the Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel.

"He clearly has the talent to play basketball at the professional level, but if anyone can make the transition, it's him," UConn basketball coach Jim Calhoun said.

This article doesn't mention him playing football in either HS or college. I know Davis won't be there at 10, but this guy isn't better than some TE's that will go in the 7th round. He's got UFA written all over him.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
overseascardfan said:
This article doesn't mention him playing football in either HS or college. I know Davis won't be there at 10, but this guy isn't better than some TE's that will go in the 7th round. He's got UFA written all over him.

Yeah, but I don't think Antonio gates did either. IMO, whether or not he's worth it, some team will take a flyer on him in the middle rounds just because of Gates.

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
He averaged three points and three rebounds per game at Connecticut.

"He clearly has the talent to play basketball at the professional level,

:confused:Doesn't sound like a guy that NBA teams would be drooling about. But, :bhiich:

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
ARZCardinals said:
Nothing like some fool who doesn't know the game to say he belongs in the pro's.

ONE GUY MADE IT, San Diego TE

So what, ONE GUY.

I wouldn't waste a pick on him.

any team that does has their head in thier arse.
Two actually, Countney Anderson from the Raiders is another college basketball player turn into an NFL starting TE.

A lot of expert (Gil Brandt and Dr. Z are VERY high on him) have been talking about his abilities and how bad Norv Turner used him last season.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marcus Pollard has had a fairly good career at TE for a BB player.

Marcus palyed 4 years of roundball at Bradley University. Pretty safe to say he didn't play any football there, as Bradley doesn't play football.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BACH said:
Two actually, Countney Anderson from the Raiders is another college basketball player turn into an NFL starting TE.

A lot of expert (Gil Brandt and Dr. Z are VERY high on him) have been talking about his abilities and how bad Norv Turner used him last season.

Anderson played HS basketball, he was on the Richmond team where Coach Carter cancelled games because of grades sparking the movie with Samuel L Jackson. Anderson denies his character is the one who can't read. He played college football at San Jose State.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan