The truth about the Eagles

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
I'm talking about the season as a whole. Regardless of our yardage, we win when we run 40 percent or better and lose when we runn less than 40 percent. We ran enough last week to keep the Giants defense off of McNabb

stuff like this makes me crazy

people often confuse correlation with causality

Reaction score
I am posting this here because I spent too much time composing it for a closed thread.

Chris54s, let me congratulate you for making it past the over/under of 15! :shock:

No, they aren't. I don't think you know what versatile means. Both of these teams do almost nothing but power running plays.
Really? Heard of Steve Smith? He was #1 in the league in yards per game receiving during the regular season. The Cardinals not only shut down Carolina's run game, they shut down Steve Smith also.

But, why do you think it is the NFL separates playoff statistics from regular season, hmm? Right now the Eagles and Cardinals are both 2-0.

Lets look closer at some numbers:

#2 rushing yardage: Edgerrin James 130 yards (3.6 ypc)
# 4 rushing yardage: Tim Hightower 99 yards (4.3 ypc)
#9 rushing yardage: Brian Westbrook 74 yards (1.9 ypc)

But you are talking about versatility right?
Westbrook has a total of 5 receptions in two games. :shrug:

The Cardinals don't really use their RB's in the passing game. Why would they?
#1 Larry Fitzgerald - 14 receptions, 267 yards, and they weren't even trying to get the ball to him after the first half at Carolina.

Sure the Eagles will try to take away Fitz. But Anquan Boldin, will be playing after missing nearly all of the first two games. You may not realize that Boldin averages more receptions per game than Fitz does. Of course then there is Steve Breaston, with 1000 yard 77 receptions in the regular season; he hasn't gotten a lot of attention in the playoffs. He has one more reception in the two playoff games than Westbrook. When the Eagles try to take away Boldin along with Fitz, Breatson will be open.

How about Defense:

In two Post Seasons games:
#2 total defense - Arizona Cardinals - 259 ypg
#6 total defense - Philadelphia - 304 ypg

Now you might say, Well that because of the teams each played in the playoffs.
Philly went against the #17 regular season offense, Vikings and the #7 Giants
Cardinals went against the # 6 regular season offense, Falcons and the # 10 Panthers.

Arizona must stop the #9 ranked offense during the season.
Philadelphia has to stop the #4 ranked offense during the season;that includes that "late season collapse".

Rushing:
Philadelphia went against the #1 and #5 rushing teams, and gave up 143 ypg in the two games.
Arizona went against the #2 and #3 rushing teams and gave up 67 ypg in the two games.

Advantage: Cardinals.

You can now come back with, "Yeah, well how about the Thanksgiving day game!" :lol:

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Greetings, Cards and Eagles fans. I'm a former Philly and Phoenix resident and long time Eagles fan. Its funny reading what some of you guys post about the Eagles. You paint them to be what suits your agenda (yes Eagles fans, you are also guilty of that) but I'm here to tell you the truth about the Eagles.

The Eagles are a tale of two teams, and go as coach Andy Reid takes them. The team that has gotten hot down the stretch has used the running game to set up the pass and managed the clock wisely. The other team, the one that throws Donavon McNabb to the wolves by abandoning its running game and horribly managing the clock, is the one that lost close games to the Bears, Redskins, Cowgirls, Giants, tied the lowly Bengals and got hammered by the Ravens. You Cardinals fans know which team showed up when you last visited the Linc.

When Andy Reid pulls his head out of his ass and realizes that a 70-30 pass to run ratio doesn't get the job done against the good teams, then you have a team that, when you factor in our third ranked defense, can beat anybody in the NFL. This is the Eagles team that has beaten four 2008 division champions, including two wins at the Meadowlands, a playoff win in Minnesota, along with wins against your Cardinals and another championship Sunday participant; the Steelers.

With all due respect to the Cardinals, a well coached Eagles team will beat you handily. The Eagles, with a few coaching corrections, could have easily won 13, 14 games. They were all that close, except for the Baltimore debacle. On the other hand, the Cardinals have been beaten badly by a plethora of teams including an embarrassing loss to the Patriots.

Problem is; at least for us Eagles fans is; you never know which Andy Reid will show up. This is a constant worry for me. If we come out gunning the ball and ignoring the run game, it could be a long day for us. All things being equal, the Eagles are the better and more experienced team. They are also their own worst enemy at times. This is why we play the game.

With all due respect, anybody thats says 1 team will win handily is simply not doing his homework.
You guys went thru a bad spell early on and EVERYBODY had you guys counted out, firing Reid and dumping McNabb. Total turmoil. Then you turned it around.
Early in the season we had it going on. We were coasting along at 7-3 , had the division wrapped up and put it on cruise control. Now , WE have turn it around. We are playing as good or better than any of the teams remaining.

What happened 5 weeks ago means nothing. In fact, what happened last week means about as much.
You are the guys with something to prove. The pressure is on you. Lose and there will be the talk about dumping McNabb and firing Reid. After all, how could you guys lose to Arizona?
You are the guys coming to our nest where we have put together the best home winning record over the last 2 years. Ask the Falcons.
Your guys may have never played in a stadium as loud as this one. NEVER. Hard to believe but true. Again, ask the Falcons.

You guys beat a uninspired, tired and mentally beat team back on Thanksgiving. I pray that you team thinks that is the team that you are about to play.

If you look at this objectively instead of just an Eagle fan you would at least recognize the problems we both face.
Our concern? How we will handle your D's packages and plans to get to Warner. We need to give him time. Containing Westbroook. Containing McNabb so as not to let him extend the play.
Your concern? Ironically your D's packages and plans to get to Warner. Word of warning. Warner is the highest rated QB this year against the blitz. You BETTER get to him cause if you don't, Monday you will looking at who you guys are going to draft in April.

It comes down to 11 against 11. Who executes and who doesn't. Doesn't matter what Vegas thinks or the betting public thinks.
Do me one favor. If things don't go your way on Sunday, come back and give us a visit.

Perfectionist

Objectively Correct
Reaction score
I am posting this here because I spent too much time composing it for a closed thread.

Chris54s, let me congratulate you for making it past the over/under of 15! :shock:

Really? Heard of Steve Smith? He was #1 in the league in yards per game receiving during the regular season. The Cardinals not only shut down Carolina's run game, they shut down Steve Smith also.

But, why do you think it is the NFL separates playoff statistics from regular season, hmm? Right now the Eagles and Cardinals are both 2-0.

#1 Larry Fitzgerald - 14 receptions, 267 yards, and they weren't even trying to get the ball to him after the first half at Carolina.

Sure the Eagles will try to take away Fitz. But Anquan Boldin, will be playing after missing nearly all of the first two games. You may not realize that Boldin averages more receptions per game than Fitz does. Of course then there is Steve Breaston, with 1000 yard 77 receptions in the regular season; he hasn't gotten a lot of attention in the playoffs. He has one more reception in the two playoff games than Westbrook. When the Eagles try to take away Boldin along with Fitz, Breatson will be open.

How about Defense:

Cardinals went against the # 6 regular season offense, Falcons and the # 10 Panthers.

Philadelphia has to stop the #4 ranked offense during the season;that includes that "late season collapse".

Rushing:
Philadelphia went against the #1 and #5 rushing teams, and gave up 143 ypg in the two games.
Arizona went against the #2 and #3 rushing teams and gave up 67 ypg in the two games.

You can now come back with, "Yeah, well how about the Thanksgiving day game!" :lol:

We are waiting on baited breath for his response. Great Post!!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Welcome; no. Treat with respect; yes.

YOU might treat a visitor with respect, but NO WAY is that the case with the vast majority of your fans. i've experienced eagles fans, and "respect" isn't in their vocabulary.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

How about Defense:

Rushing:

There you go, letting facts get in the way again. :D

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Bottom line is that in during certain stretches of the season, both teams looked fantastic, then looked like garbage, then looked fantastic again. The common thred between these two teams is that the light went on at the optimal time. The Eagles played their best ball the last six games of the season. The Cards finally got it together the last game of the season and that carried over into the playoffs.

Eagles fans and Cards fans should not be predicting blow outs because they are so evenly matched. Both are pass first offenses, both have feast or famine defenses, and both are well coached. The only advantage I see is the home field advantage (which is HUGE for those Eagles fans that have never been to UofP for a Cards game).

OP
OP
D

Dawkins2112

Registered
Reaction score
With all due respect, anybody thats says 1 team will win handily is simply not doing his homework.
You guys went thru a bad spell early on and EVERYBODY had you guys counted out, firing Reid and dumping McNabb. Total turmoil. Then you turned it around.
Early in the season we had it going on. We were coasting along at 7-3 , had the division wrapped up and put it on cruise control. Now , WE have turn it around. We are playing as good or better than any of the teams remaining.

What happened 5 weeks ago means nothing. In fact, what happened last week means about as much.
You are the guys with something to prove. The pressure is on you. Lose and there will be the talk about dumping McNabb and firing Reid. After all, how could you guys lose to Arizona?
You are the guys coming to our nest where we have put together the best home winning record over the last 2 years. Ask the Falcons.
Your guys may have never played in a stadium as loud as this one. NEVER. Hard to believe but true. Again, ask the Falcons.

You guys beat a uninspired, tired and mentally beat team back on Thanksgiving. I pray that you team thinks that is the team that you are about to play.

If you look at this objectively instead of just an Eagle fan you would at least recognize the problems we both face.
Our concern? How we will handle your D's packages and plans to get to Warner. We need to give him time. Containing Westbroook. Containing McNabb so as not to let him extend the play.
Your concern? Ironically your D's packages and plans to get to Warner. Word of warning. Warner is the highest rated QB this year against the blitz. You BETTER get to him cause if you don't, Monday you will looking at who you guys are going to draft in April.

It comes down to 11 against 11. Who executes and who doesn't. Doesn't matter what Vegas thinks or the betting public thinks.
Do me one favor. If things don't go your way on Sunday, come back and give us a visit.

Of course its about execution. What I'm saying is; all things being equal; the Eagles are the better team and the more experienced team. As far your prayer that the Eagles think you will be uninspired, that's one thing I never worry about with our team. For all of my beefs with Coach Reid, I know he'll have the team ready to play. If the Cards do win, it won't be because we laid down and died or played uninspired. It will be because you are the better team. I believe the Eagles are the better team and the Cards will have to pay their dues with consecutive years of success, before they get to the Super Bowl. Just my opinion and I believe it is an objective one.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
YOU might treat a visitor with respect, but NO WAY is that the case with the vast majority of your fans. i've experienced eagles fans, and "respect" isn't in their vocabulary.

I know right?

Philly fan talking about being respectful? Like peeing on a Dolphin fan, pelting santa, the jail at your stadium, and being notrious for fighting/spittingon/being an a-hole to every opposing team fan that comes into the Linc.

LMAO.

What Dreamcastrocks said to you is comprable to a hot oil massage with a happy ending compared to what your fans are used to doling out....

OP
OP
D

Dawkins2112

Registered
Reaction score

Thats a bunch of bullsht and you and I both know it. There is an elemant of Eagles fans who are young, who drink to much and who need to have their mouths washed out. That element is a small minority. A very small minority.
I lived in Philadelphia for over 30 years and have been to countless sporting events and have never been involved in hostility with another person over sports. I don't know of one person in my entire life, who mistreated opposing fans at a ballgame in Philly.
If you or someone you were with was abused, on behalf of the thousands of GOOD Eagles fans, I apoligize. Its the last thing we want to be associated with. Like I said, only takes a few bad seeds to make everone look bad, except in our governemnt, where they are all bad.
I get tired of yahoos like yourself who post ridiculous lies about the people of Philadelphia, a city of one and a half million, mostly good people.

OP
OP
D

Dawkins2112

Registered
Reaction score
I know right?

Philly fan talking about being respectful? Like peeing on a Dolphin fan, pelting santa, the jail at your stadium, and being notrious for fighting/spittingon/being an a-hole to every opposing team fan that comes into the Linc.

LMAO.

What Dreamcastrocks said to you is comprable to a hot oil massage with a happy ending compared to what your fans are used to doling out....

You come off as extremely ignorant. You don't know the first thing about Philadelphia or the ridiculous myths about Philly sports fans that are spewed by the media.

OP
OP
D

Dawkins2112

Registered
Reaction score
While we're talking about sports fans lets talk about the Cards fans. When I lived in Phoenix in the 90's, there was a couple of dozen of ya's. Cardinals-Eagles games at SDS were like Eagles home games. Now, your winning and all of a sudden, you're not only Cardinal fans but you think your experts on Philadelphia fans. Too funny!!

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get tired of yahoos like yourself who post ridiculous lies about the people of Philadelphia, a city of one and a half million, mostly good people.

Well, it's certainly all we hear about. And, from the first hand accounts we get from people who go to games there we don't get much of a different impression. We have three posters who live, or have lived, in the Philly area. Jersey Girl, phillycard and swd1974. They've all attended games in the Eagles stadium maybe they'll chime in on what that's like.

goeagles412

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys; another Eagles fan here. I'm not going to lie, I expect my team to win this game. However, I, like most Eagles fans, am not overlooking the Cardinals here. Their offense scares me, and I think the Eagles will struggle matching up with Fitzgerald. I do think however that they'll be able to get to Warner and disrupt the passing game. As far as the Eagles' offense goes, well, McNabb has been on top of his game, and even when the running game has not worked, he's been able to win games through the air. I think he should have no problems doing that this Sunday. I'm expecting the score to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 27-13 Eagles.

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!!!

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
I believe the Eagles are the better team and the Cards will have to pay their dues with consecutive years of success, before they get to the Super Bowl. Just my opinion and I believe it is an objective one.

Where does it say a team can't go to the Super Bowl unless they pay their dues with consecutive years of success? That's something I would expect from a union shop steward. You've had opportunities and not made it, this may just be our time whether you agree with our success or not.

OP
OP
D

Dawkins2112

Registered
Reaction score
Well, it's certainly all we hear about. And, from the first hand accounts we get from people who go to games there we don't get much of a different impression. We have three posters who live, or have lived, in the Philly area. Jersey Girl, phillycard and swd1974. They've all attended games in the Eagles stadium maybe they'll chime in on what that's like.

Listen; I hate NY fans. But even I know that the majority of them are hard working, decent, sports loving Americans. Eagles fans are passionate, to a fault. They can also be arrogant. But the ones who seriously harass other fans are but a very small minority, and you will find those clowns in any city in America.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where does it say a team can't go to the Super Bowl unless they pay their dues with consecutive years of success? That's something I would expect from a union shop steward. You've had opportunities and not made it, this may just be our time whether you agree with our success or not.

Well, you often hear that a lot, "You have to lose a championship, before you win one." But, there are more and more exceptions to that "rule" if it was ever really true in the first place.

goeagles412

Registered
Reaction score
Listen; I hate NY fans. But even I know that the majority of them are hard working, decent, sports loving Americans. Eagles fans are passionate, to a fault. They can also be arrogant. But the ones who seriously harass other fans are but a very small minority, and you will find those clowns in any city in America.
It's the truth. I see a lot of people on this board and the other Cardinals board are very quick to buy into the stereotypes and national media hype. Every single time somebody brings up the Santa Clause story I ask them if they know the true story, and they don't. Philly fans have a reputation, and there are certainly a few idiots, but it's not significantly worse than any other city. With that said, I think this game is between the Eagles and Cardinals, not between the fan bases.

OP
OP
D

Dawkins2112

Registered
Reaction score

It's not written in the rulebook if that's what you mean but in the four major sports leagues, its more of a rule than an exception. We've been knocking on the door for close to ten years, just like the Steelers had been when they finally won and like the Colts had been doing when they finally won. Very rare for a one year wonder to win it all. It can happen by I don't think it will. The Eagles are sooo ready to get back to the big game. Their window is almost closed and they know it. I suspect they will play like ravenous dogs on Sunday.

OP
OP
D

Dawkins2112

Registered
Reaction score
It's the truth. I see a lot of people on this board and the other Cardinals board are very quick to buy into the stereotypes and national media hype. Every single time somebody brings up the Santa Clause story I ask them if they know the true story, and they don't. Philly fans have a reputation, and there are certainly a few idiots, but it's not significantly worse than any other city. With that said, I think this game is between the Eagles and Cardinals, not between the fan bases.

For many years, I didn't even know the true story. Its such a joke.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Cardinal fans are some of the most loyal fans ever but there aren't a ton of them no.

They've endured a lot, and I could care less about stereotypes, point of fact that Denver fans or Raider fans or Cowboy fans or NY fans of any kind are orders of magnitudes worse and Steeler fans don't even get me started.

Philly fans are ok, I have no real beef with them, I just want their team to lose this weekend that's all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05