The truth about the Eagles

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cardinal fans are some of the most loyal fans ever but there aren't a ton of them no.

They've endured a lot, and I could care less about stereotypes, point of fact that Denver fans or Raider fans or Cowboy fans or NY fans of any kind are orders of magnitudes worse and Steeler fans don't even get me started.

Philly fans are ok, I have no real beef with them, I just want their team to lose this weekend that's all.

My experience with opposing teams fans here is that the Eagles fans aren't so bad. I prefer them to the other NFC East teams, and the Cowboys fans are more obnoxious jerks by a mile. Then, I also have had bad experiences with Steelers, Raiders and Bears fans. The Broncos fans suck too. I dislike all those fanbases more than Eagles fans.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
You come off as extremely ignorant. You don't know the first thing about Philadelphia or the ridiculous myths about Philly sports fans that are spewed by the media.

I think you are in denial here. I have been to Philly three times in the past year (most recently 3 weeks ago) have tailgated at the Linc, eaten 9 REAL Philly cheesesteaks, and frequent a Philly Bar here in Ft Lauderdale called the Parrot. And if you know anything about Florida you know there is a TON of transplanted north easters out here.

My girlfreind actually was going to buy me Thanksgiving tix for the Eagles/Cards games but with the caveat - you can't wear your Cardinals gear. She said "It won't go over well and you are not going with a group of guys and I won't be able to keep them off you". I turned down the tickets for a new guitar for that reason

I know tons of Philly fans. Many - not all - are belligerent, cynical, mouthy and openly hostile. What fantasy world are you living in Dawkins?

Didn't you say you went from Phoenix to Charlotte. Maybe you don't represent Philly as much as you'd like to think......

goeagles412

Registered
Reaction score
I think you are in denial here. I have been to Philly three times in the past year (most recently 3 weeks ago) have tailgated at the Linc, eaten 9 REAL Philly cheesesteaks, and frequent a Philly Bar here in Ft Lauderdale called the Parrot. And if you know anything about Florida you know there is a TON of transplanted north easters out here.

My girlfreind actually was going to buy me Thanksgiving tix for the Eagles/Cards games but with the caveat - you can't wear your Cardinals gear. She said "It won't go over well and you are not going with a group of guys and I won't be able to keep them off you". I turned down the tickets for a new guitar for that reason

I know tons of Philly fans. Many - not all - are belligerent, cynical, mouthy and openly hostile. What fantasy world are you living in Dawkins?

Didn't you say you went from Phoenix to Charlotte. Maybe you don't represent Philly as much as you'd like to think......
So because you're too scared to show up to Philly for a Cards game... we're all belligerant, hostile drunks? Get real, pal. The twenty Eagles fans that you come across on a daily basis there in your local Ft. Lauderdale Philly bar do not make up the majority of the fan base. Come back to me when you have something intelligent to say about Philly fans based on factual information.

OP
OP
D

Dawkins2112

Registered
Reaction score
Cardinal fans are some of the most loyal fans ever but there aren't a ton of them no.

They've endured a lot, and I could care less about stereotypes, point of fact that Denver fans or Raider fans or Cowboy fans or NY fans of any kind are orders of magnitudes worse and Steeler fans don't even get me started.

Philly fans are ok, I have no real beef with them, I just want their team to lose this weekend that's all.

Can we agree that Cowboy fans are the absolute worst band wagon jumping wannabe's on the planet??

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
So because you're too scared to show up to Philly for a Cards game... we're all belligerant, hostile drunks? Get real, pal. The twenty Eagles fans that you come across on a daily basis there in your local Ft. Lauderdale Philly bar do not make up the majority of the fan base. Come back to me when you have something intelligent to say about Philly fans based on factual information.

Being scared wasn't really part of the equation. After getting a couple drinks in me I'll talk trash to the Russian Army - yes even as were were getting blown out I would have - and thats not really the type of scene I needed to be with a 5'4 105lb blonde girl with.

Perception is reality big boy. Granted I saw Philly fan around Cowboy fan both at the Linc and at the Parrot so maybe that had something to do with the bile and fighting I saw. You do realize you are the only stadium to have a jail/court right? I suppose that's because your all so fun and happy all the time? Around the league you guys are known for being one of the three most hostile crowds about opposing fans right? (and thats something you should actually be proud of - makes me sick to think of SDS overrun by opposing fans....)

Honestly I don't care if I have you guys all wrong you are all a bunch of super literate tea drinking wine and cheese crowd.

As of right now you are the enemy. You'll catch me saying something nice about eagle fan this week about as quick as me telling you guys I think you'll win.

OP
OP
D

Dawkins2112

Registered
Reaction score

I'm sure I know more Philly fans than you do, having spent 32 years of my life there. Probably close to 100 of them in my own family. Still, I'm sorry if you've been harassed. I've worn my colors in arena's and stadiums in Arizona and North Carolina and have never encountered anything more than good ole fun bantering, like we're doing here.
I think its bullsht that a person cannot take his family to a game because of thug-like behavior, which I attribute partly because of alcoholic beverages sold at the games. For what its worth, that sort of thing does not happen at Flyers or Philles games. Football can sometime bring out the worst in people.
I'm as rabid and loyal a fan as there is, but I treat people with respect, regardless of what colors they wear. I stand by my comment that those who act out of line are a small minority. As far as where I live, I love North Carolina. Best place I have ever lived. Doesn't change my loyalties though.

goeagles412

Registered
Reaction score
Being scared wasn't really part of the equation. After getting a couple drinks in me I'll talk trash to the Russian Army - yes even as were were getting blown out I would have - and thats not really the type of scene I needed to be with a 5'4 105lb blonde girl with.

Perception is reality big boy. Granted I saw Philly fan around Cowboy fan both at the Linc and at the Parrot so maybe that had something to do with the bile and fighting I saw. You do realize you are the only stadium to have a jail/court right? I suppose that's because your all so fun and happy all the time? Around the league you guys are known for being one of the three most hostile crowds about opposing fans right? (and thats something you should actually be proud of - makes me sick to think of SDS overrun by opposing fans....)

Honestly I don't care if I have you guys all wrong you are all a bunch of super literate tea drinking wine and cheese crowd.

As of right now you are the enemy. You'll catch me saying something nice about eagle fan this week about as quick as me telling you guys I think you'll win.
You do realize there is no jail or court at our stadium, right? I figured. You, and the rest of the people on here that I see complaining about Philly fans, are simply basing this on all the hype and negative stereotypes you are fed by the national media. I have no problem disliking our fan base or trying to trash-talk, but at least base it on some factual information. So far, you've based it on nothing.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
You do realize there is no jail or court at our stadium, right? I figured. You, and the rest of the people on here that I see complaining about Philly fans, are simply basing this on all the hype and negative stereotypes you are fed by the national media. I have no problem disliking our fan base or trying to trash-talk, but at least base it on some factual information. So far, you've based it on nothing.

Like the Vet, Lincoln Financial Field had a jail inside the stadium, that contained four cells. However, this jail was done away within two years as the level of unruly behavior had dropped considerably from the worst days of the Vet. The Linc also plays host to several soccer games each year, and in the past two years it has played host to the NCAA lacrosse national championship.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Financial_Field

My apologies. Glad you guys are cleaning it up:thumbup:

But like our image of being a "loser franchise" that perception isn't going to change overnight.

Well actually the perception of us being a "loser franchise" IS going to change overnight. Sunday night. :D

goeagles412

Registered
Reaction score
Like the Vet, Lincoln Financial Field had a jail inside the stadium, that contained four cells. However, this jail was done away within two years as the level of unruly behavior had dropped considerably from the worst days of the Vet. The Linc also plays host to several soccer games each year, and in the past two years it has played host to the NCAA lacrosse national championship.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Financial_Field

My apologies. Glad you guys are cleaning it up:thumbup:

But like our image of being a "loser franchise" that perception isn't going to change overnight.

Well actually the perception of us being a "loser franchise" IS going to change overnight. Sunday night. :D
Of course our reputation isn't going to change, especially with national media outlets such as ESPN constantly pumping up the false stereotypes. Hey, I don't blame you or any other Cardinal fan for believing all that crap. People out in Arizona don't have too much experience with Philly fans, so they believe what they hear when they turn on ESPN.

RandomGuy

Registered
Reaction score

People can't let go of that one. The Linc DOES have both a drunk tank and a holding cell. Just like any other NFL stadium, probably. But it's a far more "family friendly" atmosphere than the Vet.

Opposing fans wearing jerseys will receive a little ribbing in the parking lot. But unless you're drunk, belligerent, wearing NFC East opposing colors, and looking for a fight, you're perfectly safe 98% of the time. No one likes being thrown out after $100 tickets.

Redrage

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Cardinals-Eagles games at SDS were like Eagles home games.

Um, no. Hate to nitpick here, but I went to every home game from 95 - 2007 and Eagles fans never out numbered Cards fans. There was a fair number of you, but nothing like say the Cards/Cowboys game of '95.

This is the most overblown piece of hyperbole that we endure as Cards fans. Though we have had to endure legions of opposing fans, I can count the times we were outnumbered on one hand. Hell, the Steelers fans at the '07 game probably only accounted for 25% of the bodies in the stadium. Mind you, that's a lot, but not what certain sports writers would have you believe.

Now onto the game. The Eagles may be a better team but I think the Cards actually have the edge when it comes to talent. But talent isn't always what makes a team. Chemistry, maturity, discipline, experience: the eagles have the edge here.

I honestly think that if you compared the teams you'd find that the Cards have more talent on their roster. But the Eagles strengths match up well with the Cards. The redbird's WRs are leagues better than those of the Eagles. But Fitz doesn't line up against Jackson, he matches up against Assante Samuel. There's the rub.

One last thing. I don't feel comfortable about this game. I never make predictions, and I won't start now. But I want you take one thing into consideration. As an Eagle fan going to Cards games in the '90s, how often did you leave disappointed? Home field advantage can be huge. I'm hoping that plays into our favor.

goeagles412

Registered
Reaction score
Um, no. Hate to nitpick here, but I went to every home game from 95 - 2007 and Eagles fans never out numbered Cards fans. There was a fair number of you, but nothing like say the Cards/Cowboys game of '95.

This is the most overblown piece of hyperbole that we endure as Cards fans. Though we have had to endure legions of opposing fans, I can count the times we were outnumbered on one hand. Hell, the Steelers fans at the '07 game probably only accounted for 25% of the bodies in the stadium. Mind you, that's a lot, but not what certain sports writers would have you believe.

Now onto the game. The Eagles may be a better team but I think the Cards actually have the edge when it comes to talent. But talent isn't always what makes a team. Chemistry, maturity, discipline, experience: the eagles have the edge here.

I honestly think that if you compared the teams you'd find that the Cards have more talent on their roster. But the Eagles strengths match up well with the Cards. The redbird's WRs are leagues better than those of the Eagles. But Fitz doesn't line up against Jackson, he matches up against Assante Samuel. There's the rub.

One last thing. I don't feel comfortable about this game. I never make predictions, and I won't start now. But I want you take one thing into consideration. As an Eagle fan going to Cards games in the '90s, how often did you leave disappointed? Home field advantage can be huge. I'm hoping that plays into our favor.
I could understand you being excited about hosting the NFCCG, but rest assured, the crowd will play NO role in this game. The crowd is never a factor when the Eagles are on the road. Take the last two games for examples. They played in two of the toughest places to play in the leauge: the Metrodome, and the wind tunnel otherwise called Giants Stadium. It's not going to get any louder than it was at those two buildings.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yep. It's about as overblown, and untrue, as all Philly fans being jerks.

The last two times I thought their were as many, or more, opposing teams fans as the Cardinals fans was the last two times the Vikings played here. It was 50/50 for that game in Dec, and that game in SDS (one of the sweetest victories ever in my book) where we knocked them out of the playoffs on the last game was 80/20 in favor of Vikings fans.

RandomGuy

Registered
Reaction score
I could understand you being excited about hosting the NFCCG, but rest assured, the crowd will play NO role in this game. The crowd is never a factor when the Eagles are on the road. Take the last two games for examples. They played in two of the toughest places to play in the leauge: the Metrodome, and the wind tunnel otherwise called Giants Stadium. It's not going to get any louder than it was at those two buildings.

The Giants fans showed up to scream last week, no doubt. With handout cheer towels.

I wish I had a better sense of what the Arizona dome was like. I have to default to the real Cards fans on this one. Indoors seems to beat open-air stadiums in most cases. Like any big playoff game, it will probably come down to the percentage of scalped tickets to bandwagon fans vs. the number of real fans that get seats. If this was Washington we'd hear a pin drop. Not sure with Arizona.

goeagles412

Registered
Reaction score
The Giants fans showed up to scream last week, no doubt. With handout cheer towels.

I wish I had a better sense of what the Arizona dome was like. I have to default to the real Cards fans on this one. Indoors seems to beat open-air stadiums in most cases. Like any big playoff game, it will probably come down to the percentage of scalped tickets to bandwagon fans vs. the number of real fans that get seats. If this was Washington we'd hear a pin drop. Not sure with Arizona.
Yeah, Giants Stadium is a tough place to play more so because of the elements than because of the cold, but it can get pretty loud there (not as loud as the Linc, of course). However I find it hard to believe it can get much louder than the Metrodome in a playoff game, even with the Vikings just barely selling out at the last minute.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
With all due respect, anybody thats says 1 team will win handily is simply not doing his homework.
You guys went thru a bad spell early on and EVERYBODY had you guys counted out, firing Reid and dumping McNabb. Total turmoil. Then you turned it around.
Early in the season we had it going on. We were coasting along at 7-3 , had the division wrapped up and put it on cruise control. Now , WE have turn it around. We are playing as good or better than any of the teams remaining.

What happened 5 weeks ago means nothing. In fact, what happened last week means about as much.
You are the guys with something to prove. The pressure is on you. Lose and there will be the talk about dumping McNabb and firing Reid. After all, how could you guys lose to Arizona?
You are the guys coming to our nest where we have put together the best home winning record over the last 2 years. Ask the Falcons.
Your guys may have never played in a stadium as loud as this one. NEVER. Hard to believe but true. Again, ask the Falcons.

You guys beat a uninspired, tired and mentally beat team back on Thanksgiving. I pray that you team thinks that is the team that you are about to play.

If you look at this objectively instead of just an Eagle fan you would at least recognize the problems we both face.
Our concern? How we will handle your D's packages and plans to get to Warner. We need to give him time. Containing Westbroook. Containing McNabb so as not to let him extend the play.
Your concern? Ironically your D's packages and plans to get to Warner. Word of warning. Warner is the highest rated QB this year against the blitz. You BETTER get to him cause if you don't, Monday you will looking at who you guys are going to draft in April.

It comes down to 11 against 11. Who executes and who doesn't. Doesn't matter what Vegas thinks or the betting public thinks.
Do me one favor. If things don't go your way on Sunday, come back and give us a visit.

Great post slan. Summed up my thoughts perfectly.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Well, it's certainly all we hear about. And, from the first hand accounts we get from people who go to games there we don't get much of a different impression. We have three posters who live, or have lived, in the Philly area. Jersey Girl, phillycard and swd1974. They've all attended games in the Eagles stadium maybe they'll chime in on what that's like.

dawkins2112, aj's right my man. You should take back that "small minority" comment. I also have lived in Philly my entire life, born and bred here, have been to Flyers, Sixers, Phillies (all of which I am a fan of) and Eagles games, and I will tell you. It's no comparison. Eagles fans (yes the bad ones) are by far the worst out of all of our fanbase. Every Eagles game I attended at the Vet, I was harrassed, and given the A-Hole chant all duration of the game. (and that's the nice side of my experiences) Try walking through the tailgate areas. You better be with some Eagles fans or your asking for it. In some pockets of Philly, you don't even have to be at the game to catch hell if you're not a birds fan. Try showing up at some bars, or even attempting to get a pizza at some places with non-Eagles gear on. They will refuse to serve you in some cases! It's just the way the fan base is. There's no denying it fam. And I KNOW for a fact that there are many, many good and respectful Eagles fans, but if you ask me to paint the fanbase as a whole, I will tell you that it's one of the reasons I hate the Eagles as much as I do. But welcome to ASFN good brother!!

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

I tend to believe this... I mean, McNabb and a few others have been to this stage many times before and as you point out, they did just beat the Vikes and G-Women in their houses...
However, I also tend to believe that our house is indeed the loudest in the NFL. Therefore, I believe the Iggles will be surprised by what they hear. And should the Cards jump out to an early lead, I can assure you the crowd will indeed be a factor in this game...

;)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Tell that to Matt Ryan. Nah, crowd noise had nothing to do with his play. None at all. Best home record in the NFC for two seasons running. Chew on that. But no, of course crowd noise won't enter into it. I'm channeling DD's sarcasm here. No way will our crowd make a difference. You're too good. The glow of god-like perfection coming from your team will blind our fans, and the trumpets of angels from your sidelines will drown the crowd out.

Sorry, that was just fun to type. I'm not trying to razz you that much. But it is rather ignorant to think our crowd will play no role in the game. If we get down early? I could see the crowd losing intensity. Close game? Try hearing yourself think. McNabb won't be able to.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Well, it's certainly all we hear about. And, from the first hand accounts we get from people who go to games there we don't get much of a different impression. We have three posters who live, or have lived, in the Philly area. Jersey Girl, phillycard and swd1974. They've all attended games in the Eagles stadium maybe they'll chime in on what that's like.

Yeah, I was at two Cards games in Philly. One in the lower sections, the other in the nosebleeds. Down in the lower section it was rather civilized when the ribbing occured. Up in the nosebleeds I didn't run into a single certified human being. Maybe they're human when they aren't at the game, but they were simply slavering animals up there. Granted, I'm huge, so none of them were really stepping up to me to offer physical violence. I wondered what the level of vitriol would have been had we been winning; we were getting crushed at the time. I refused to be drawn into any of the drunken verbal barrages, and did nothing but watch the game and cheer on my team in a tasteful manner. I'm just glad Philly fans have no aim when they're drunk; many threw beers at me, but only one even sloshed on my shoes.

So, basically, at the old Vet, the upper levels pretty much held the dregs of NFL fandom, but the lower levels were rather civilized.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While we're talking about sports fans lets talk about the Cards fans. When I lived in Phoenix in the 90's, there was a couple of dozen of ya's. Cardinals-Eagles games at SDS were like Eagles home games. Now, your winning and all of a sudden, you're not only Cardinal fans but you think your experts on Philadelphia fans. Too funny!!

This is the kind of BS that is guaranteed to raise blood pressures.

Sure at SDS there were about 20k loyal fans who would go to games through everything, slightly more than a dozen.

However that doesn't count the many fans who didn't go because they couldn't handle the loses or PoS SDS.

In this you are just spouting BS rhetoric and it will piss people off

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
This is the kind of BS that is guaranteed to raise blood pressures.

Sure at SDS there were about 20k loyal fans who would go to games through everything, slightly more than a dozen.

However that doesn't count the many fans who didn't go because they couldn't handle the loses or PoS SDS.

In this you are just spouting BS rhetoric and it will piss people off

Very true, there are misconceptions all over the place in the NFL but it gives us all something to talk about for a week leading up to the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05