Third Round: Rashad Johnson - Safety (Alabama)

NeverSayDieFan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I've read....

Coach on the field/ Smart player who positions himself well to make big plays. GO CARDS!! :D

Reaction score
Living in Mississippi I got to see this kid a lot and he was always one of the best players on the field a tad undersized but very aggressive and always around the ball. You hear his name a lot

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Solid pick.... The guy is a captain from the Crimson Tide.

Very good pick.

And Francisco will see less of the field because of it.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Scouts Inc. has him as the best safety in the draft outside of Delmas.

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score
Very smart and is a ball hawk. We can move Rolle back to nickel in some packages.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
From NFL.com

Overview A complete unknown coming out of high school, Johnson was just grateful that former Tide head coach Mike Shula even let him try out for the team when he arrived on campus as a freshman in 2004. Now, after completing his final season, the team captain leaves the college game regarded as the premier safety in the Southeastern Conference.

When Johnson came to Tuscaloosa, he was a running back out of Sulligent, Alabama, a small town about an hour from Jasper and home to a tiny 1-A high school. After a redshirt season, Johnson made the move to defense in 2005, but saw no action short of special teams work. In 2006, he finally got a chance to start four times, but still saw limited action at safety. After a coaching change and a tireless spring, he earned a starting job in the defensive secondary, and he did little to disappoint during his stellar junior and senior campaigns.

Now, the Tide will look to replace his 224 tackles and his senior leadership. Even the coaching staff admits that Alabama will be hard pressed to find someone who can replicate Johnson's sense of awareness and overall ball-hawking skills that led to a combined 11 interceptions over the past two seasons.

"Rashad did all those things," Alabama head coach Nick Saban said. "He played the deep part of the field all the time. He was good in sub (nickel or dime formations), in passing downs with his range, ball skills, ball judgment in the deep part of the field."

As a special teams performer in 2005, Johnson totaled eight tackles (5 solos) and caused one fumble in 12 contests. He forced his way into the starting lineup for four games at free safety in 2006, but missed two late season contests with an ankle sprain. He finished with 33 tackles (22 solos) and two forced fumbles, as he also tried his hand at kickoff returns, gaining 64 yards on three chances.

With Saban taking over the coaching reigns, Johnson's career began to take off. The junior free safety not only earned a starting job, but was named team captain. He collected a team-high 94 tackles (57 solos) with a sack and 5.5 stops for loss in 2007, picking up All-Southeastern Conference first-team honors. His six interceptions rank seventh on the school single-season record list and he also broke up eight throws and caused one fumble.

Johnson was a unanimous All-SEC first-team choice in 2008. He received SEC Defensive Player of the Year honors, as he delivered 89 tackles (60 solos), ranking second on the team. He had five stops behind the line of scrimmage and caused a fumble for the fifth time in his career. The safety led the Tide with five interceptions and 11 pass breakups, as he guided a squad that ranked third in the nation in total defense (263.5 ypg).

High School Lettered as a running back at Sulligent (Ala.) High School, but did not garner any state or national recognition.

Copyright NFLDraftScout.com, distributed by The Sports Xchange.

Analysis Positives: Cerebral defender. ... Reads the action quickly and puts himself in position to make big plays. ... Quick to recognize run and is able to often get to the ballcarrier before blockers can be effective. ... Reliable centerfielder who understands his position as the last line of defense and can break down in space to make the open-field tackle. ... Faster on the field than his 40 time would indicate due to his instincts. ... Natural playmaker. ... Baits the quarterback and has a good burst to close. ... Will fight for the ball and can snatch the ball at its highest point. ... Can track the ball over his shoulder. ... Has a history of making the big play at critical moments.

Negatives: Has a skinny build. ... Needs to bulk up in both his upper and lower body to be able to handle taking on blockers at the NFL level. ... May struggle to maintain his questionable pure speed with additional mass. ... Can get caught up in the trash. ... Not as reliable a tackler near the line of scrimmage, as he is willing to lunge with teammates supporting around him. ... Not a tone-setter in the middle capable of intimidating with big hits. ... A bit high-cut and struggles to keep up with receivers in man coverage. ... Character red flags due to a February 2008 arrest for disorderly conduct.

Injury Report 2006: Sat out the Louisiana State (11/11) and Auburn (11/18) contests with an ankle sprain.

Copyright NFLDraftScout.com, distributed by The Sports Xchange.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Thoughts?

I don`t understand this pick.Why another safety? Cards already have 6 safeties on the roster now.Maybe Whiz is planning for life after Adrian Wilson............. Writeups i have seen about Rashad Johnson question his durabilty and frame.He was a 2 time All SEC so he can play the game.I just don`t figure the need for a Safety.LB and OL depth would seem to be needed first IMHO. Lets see what Whiz does to address those needs now.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I don`t understand this pick.Why another safety? Cards already have 6 safeties on the roster now.Maybe Whiz is planning for life after Adrian Wilson............. Writeups i have seen about Rashad Johnson question his durabilty and frame.He was a 2 time All SEC so he can play the game.I just don`t figure the need for a Safety.LB and OL depth would seem to be needed first IMHO. Lets see what Whiz does to address those needs now.

He is for free safety depth and after Rolle and Wilson is Francisco. Remember the Superbowl??

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Undersized, not much upside, but high IQ and a lot of heart.

Sounds a lot like Buster Davis coming out.

Initially, i think we couldve picked up someone better.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
I don`t understand this pick.Why another safety? Cards already have 6 safeties on the roster now.

Our 6 safties are:

Francisco, Aaron
Keyes, Dennis
Lewis, Keith
Rolle, Antrel
Ware, Matt
Wilson, Adrian

I dont really want to see anyone other than Wilson or Rolle on the field. We saw how putting Fransisco on the field as a 3rd safety turned out.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
I love this pick. Our biggest weakness last season was out secondary. We have made huge strides by signed McFadden and having Rolle in a 2nd full year at safety and now Johnson. One note, I would love if the Cards trade up to take Kaluka Maiava the USC linebacker. I don't know how he has fallen this far but if you can trade up to the end of the 3rd/top of the 4th he is a huge steal.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mel Kiper loves this kid. From the highlights they showed of him on ESPN, he sure looks like a play maker. I like the pick a lot.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Our 6 safties are:

Francisco, Aaron
Keyes, Dennis
Lewis, Keith
Rolle, Antrel
Ware, Matt
Wilson, Adrian

I dont really want to see anyone other than Wilson or Rolle on the field. We saw how putting Fransisco on the field as a 3rd safety turned out.

Was going to say exactly the same thing. 90 tackles at a safety position says something about his ability read the play as it unfolds too. You can make a player bigger and stronger, but you can't fix stupid. This is a great pick.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Excellent pick!!

Mel Kiper was raving about this kid. Called him a steal, a legitimate first-round talent taken at the end of the third round. He'll be our third down nickle safety taking Aaron Francisco's role sometime next season, and should contribute on special teams.

This is a target of opportunity IMO. Just an excellent selection by Whis and Rod. This should bolster the pass defense and the kid should supplant Matt Ware on the roster. Remember Matt's struggles on special teams in the Giants game last year.

This is a classic case of upgrading your roster with an opportunity pick. Great job.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sidbury, Duke Robinson, Meradith, Brinkley.

The passrush should help out our secondary, we've still got some bigger needs than safety.
We are not going to take another OLB. We have 5 right now and we only carry 4. Robinson is a guy who I wouldn't touch until probably the 5th round. The guy is always a false start waiting to happen. Merideth and Brinkley I like, but Brinkley would play Hayes' spot and a backup SILB is not hard to find.

The end result was that Johnson was the best value for us at a position of need.

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score

Great pick. Best player on the board. Second rounder by most prognisticators. You don't pick for need, when you can pick talent. WE FINALLY GET IT !!! I saw a couple of Bama games, and Johnson stood out. I love this pick.

Regarding need:
We have 2 safeties and a bunch of "maybes", fill in types. I don't consider Francisco et al capable safeties. Special teamers only. Plus, Wilson and Rolle are SS types. Johnson is a true FS. Also, we will need to resign both after this year, so there is some flexibility.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Great pick who gives us options on defense.

This gives us a natural free safety that can play the deep half of the field. A very smart guy who can read QB's and make plays while the ball is in the air. The way that he reads reminds me a little of Ed Reed, but he doesn't have Reed's athleticism.

Down the line, he gives us insurance if Rolle doesn't develop. He allows us to move Rolle to strong safety if we can't extend A Wilson in a couple years. At worst, he allows us to move Wilson or Rolle up in the nickle packages and still have a presence in the middle of the field.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wilson can blitz more with this guy in coverage

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05