This will make some happy....

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Pariah said:
In your quote I've isolated the positions in which I could concievably see a rookie starting.

RB--Yes, it really is a glaring need, IMO.
RT--Ross is better than we on the board give him credit for, IMO, but I also think we might take a T in the first 2 rounds and that guy could probably unseat him.
LG--I think it's almost a slam-dunk that we'll have a new face playing LG one way or another. 50/50 that it's a rookie.
FS--Griffith was okay, but a day one pick might be able to replace him.
LB--For the last 2 seasons Green has seemed to have been unhappy with our LB corps going into the year. I haven't seen a big upgrade since Dansby.
NT--I like Davis. He could easily be replaced, though.

JMHO

A far cry from when they had to bring in Fitzgerald to replace Bryan Gilmore and Nathan Poole. Dansby to replace Levar Fisherwood and Ray Thompson. Dockett to replace Marcus Bell and Barron Tanner. Rolle to replace Reynaldo Hill.

For the first time in years whoever they get in round 1 is going to have to earn the job.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Tony W said:
Isn't that what Mike Vick gets by on?
Young's not the elusive runner that Vick is plus i don't think there are too many people raving about Vick's passing ability.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Titans will NOT take an OT at #3

Repeat, Titans will NOT take an OT at #3

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Cbus cardsfan said:
Young's not the elusive runner that Vick is plus i don't think there are too many people raving about Vick's passing ability.

It is not even close to a valid comparison. Young can pass and has proven he can read defenses, be accurate, adn still is very athletic. Vick coming out of college never gave even the slightest bit of elusion that he can pass like V.Young can.

No Young is not the runner Vick is but he is already 10x the passer and will only get better, Passig on him at #10 would be the worst thing this franchise has ever done. Period!

spanky1

Reaction score
HookemCards said:
Not to mention the fact that our really pressing "needs" are areas this draft is very strong in. OL (there will be some really good ones in the 2nd and 3rd rounds), DT (with the exception of Ngata most of the better ones in the draft will be available in the 2nd, i.e. Watson), TE (lots of good TEs in this draft, the top 3 will probably be 1st rounders, but there is good depth there), S (only the elite safeties are 1st or 2nd rounders, the very good to average usually come off the board starting in the 3rd).

Watson isn't going to last into the 2nd....absolutely no way.

spanky1

Reaction score
Pariah said:
In your quote I've isolated the positions in which I could concievably see a rookie starting.

RB--Yes, it really is a glaring need, IMO.
RT--Ross is better than we on the board give him credit for, IMO, but I also think we might take a T in the first 2 rounds and that guy could probably unseat him.
LG--I think it's almost a slam-dunk that we'll have a new face playing LG one way or another. 50/50 that it's a rookie.
FS--Griffith was okay, but a day one pick might be able to replace him.
LB--For the last 2 seasons Green has seemed to have been unhappy with our LB corps going into the year. I haven't seen a big upgrade since Dansby.
NT--I like Davis. He could easily be replaced, though.

JMHO

Griffith was OK....my guess is that you'd be in the minority here.

That you haven't seen an upgrade at LB since Dansby.......well he was only drafted two years ago.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
LVCARDFREAK said:
It is not even close to a valid comparison. Young can pass and has proven he can read defenses, be accurate, adn still is very athletic. Vick coming out of college never gave even the slightest bit of elusion that he can pass like V.Young can.

No Young is not the runner Vick is but he is already 10x the passer and will only get better, Passig on him at #10 would be the worst thing this franchise has ever done. Period!

I'm sorry, how again did Young "prove" that he can read defenses? I've seen the zone passing technique that Texas uses broken down, and the entire design of the offense is to minimize the necessity of the QB to read defenses.

That being said, Vince Young would present too great a value at #10 overall to pass on him. I'm just not willing to sell the farm to move up to #1 or #2 to get him.

Savage58

Defense, Defense, DEFENSE
Reaction score
Dback Jon said:
Titans will NOT take an OT at #3

Repeat, Titans will NOT take an OT at #3

Why not?

What would be so wrong with taking D'Brick at #3? He's a certifiable badass, he's going to anchor someone's line for years.

And yes I think he could replace LD easily, but no way he even gets close to our pick at #10.

If Young falls to #10 and we pick him, SUCK I would be upset, but I'd hope the coaching staff would put him on the field as a WR in his first year while learning the position of QB as well. We need some immediate impact from our 1st round pick, we're not that good yet guys.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Savage58 said:
Why not?

What would be so wrong with taking D'Brick at #3? He's a certifiable badass, he's going to anchor someone's line for years.

And yes I think he could replace LD easily, but no way he even gets close to our pick at #10.

If Young falls to #10 and we pick him, SUCK I would be upset, but I'd hope the coaching staff would put him on the field as a WR in his first year while learning the position of QB as well. We need some immediate impact from our 1st round pick, we're not that good yet guys.

The Titans drafted an OLT in the second round last year named Michael Roos that they're apparently very high on. I think that's the basis for them passing on Ferguson. And I think that many were saying the same things about Robert Gallery two years ago as you're presently saying abot Ferguson, and how'd that work out.

Leonard Davis is among the top third of offensive left tackles in the NFL. There's no way a rookie comes in and outperforms him.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
Griffith was OK....my guess is that you'd be in the minority here.
Maybe. But "okay" is not a ringing endorsement.

That you haven't seen an upgrade at LB since Dansby.......well he was only drafted two years ago.
Right, and Green hasn't been happy with the LBs as a unit since he's been here I don't think...and Green has been here for 2 years. I think he'd want to make an upgrade.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Savage58 said:
Why not?

If the Titans did that, that would be the ultimate surprise given their draft history and philosophy. Floyd Reese (Titans GM) has never felt that an O-Line player is worth that high of a pick.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
I'm sorry, how again did Young "prove" that he can read defenses? I've seen the zone passing technique that Texas uses broken down, and the entire design of the offense is to minimize the necessity of the QB to read defenses.

That being said, Vince Young would present too great a value at #10 overall to pass on him. I'm just not willing to sell the farm to move up to #1 or #2 to get him.

Well apparently completing almost 66% of your passes and almsot 3 to 1 int to TD ratio would pretty much prove that to me. Breaking all of Texas single season passing and running records etc, national championship etc.

I mean I guess some of us can just say "Texas doesnt run a sophisticated offense" and be done with it, but even players in "Unsophisticated offenses" (like Mike Vick) dont put up these kinds of numbers....

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
My thoughts are----the O line(we have to do something for protection and our running game). NT--we have to get some push up the middle( make double teaming a guessing game) CB--we need to have depth(guys to step in and not miss much of a beat, if any) Heck add the whole defensive backfield. Those are pretty much needs that are staring at us.
I'm not saying,if everyone stays healthy, some of those positions aren't filled capably, but unhealthy and we're in trouble.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
jstadvl said:
My thoughts are----the O line(we have to do something for protection and our running game). NT--we have to get some push up the middle( make double teaming a guessing game) CB--we need to have depth(guys to step in and not miss much of a beat, if any) Heck add the whole defensive backfield. Those are pretty much needs that are staring at us.
I'm not saying,if everyone stays healthy, some of those positions aren't filled capably, but unhealthy and we're in trouble.

Top Needs

Left Guard

Two special teams guys who are exceptional at covering kicks and punts

Large Running back

Penalty reduction Coach

Two special teams guys who are exceptional at blocking for kick and punt returns

(Maybe) Middle Linebacker

Nose Tackle to rotate with RDavis and eventually take over as #1 (2006 will be Russel's 8th season)

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
The Titans drafted an OLT in the second round last year named Michael Roos that they're apparently very high on. I think that's the basis for them passing on Ferguson. And I think that many were saying the same things about Robert Gallery two years ago as you're presently saying abot Ferguson, and how'd that work out.

Leonard Davis is among the top third of offensive left tackles in the NFL. There's no way a rookie comes in and outperforms him.

Pace, W Jones, Boselli, Levi Jones, Ogden all would have outperformed BIG as rookies, or at least played well enough that moving BIG to RT would make the entire line better. Is Ferguson as good as those I mentioned? Many experts seem to think so.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Cardiac said:
Pace, W Jones, Boselli, Levi Jones, Ogden all would have outperformed BIG as rookies, or at least played well enough that moving BIG to RT would make the entire line better. Is Ferguson as good as those I mentioned? Many experts seem to think so.

I'd agree with Pace, W. Jones, Boselli, and Ogden, but Levi Jones took 3 years to develop into the player that he is now. No way that he'd outpace L. Davis as a rookie.

That being said, I'm not convinced that Ferguson is a better LT prospect than any of the players that you listed. Remember, all these things were said about Robert Gallery--and, for that matter, Leonard Davis.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
I'd agree with Pace, W. Jones, Boselli, and Ogden, but Levi Jones took 3 years to develop into the player that he is now. No way that he'd outpace L. Davis as a rookie.

That being said, I'm not convinced that Ferguson is a better LT prospect than any of the players that you listed. Remember, all these things were said about Robert Gallery--and, for that matter, Leonard Davis.

I tend to agree with this. I dont think Jones is as good as Davis but I thik he comparison is pretty close. I too am not convinced about Ferguson either. Maybe it is due to my distrust of taking lineman high I just think he is as big a crapshoot as any other top 10 guy.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
LVCARDFREAK said:
I tend to agree with this. I dont think Jones is as good as Davis but I thik he comparison is pretty close. I too am not convinced about Ferguson either. Maybe it is due to my distrust of taking lineman high I just think he is as big a crapshoot as any other top 10 guy.

Right now? Levi Jones may be the best OLT in the AFC, in terms of consistency and balance between run and pass. Had 5 sacks and 4 penalties last year. Leonard Davis had 4 sacks and 14 penalties last year. Right now, considering cost into the equation (which people on this board never seem to do, but is still a factor), I think that I'd rather have Levi manning the LT spot for my team than Leonard.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
AntSports Steve said:
Vince Young is too much of a risk for the Cards. If you pick him and end up wrong, you get fired. TE V. Davis, RB L. White, LB C. Greenway, or S M. Huff are much safer picks for the Cards.

If Young does drop, I would rather trade down with someone who wants him as long as the price is right.

Denny's concern is for this year as if he does not do well there will be no year after that. If it's Denny's choice he will pass on Young unless he can draft him and trade him. Young will not be of much use for 1-2 years. I am not all that hot on Young and would not take him either as I want some action this year. The future is NOW. Warner can carry us for two years. Draft a QB in rd 2 or 3 if there is a decent one there. I am still for drafting White with our first pick.

CardsFan222

Rookie
Reaction score
If Young is there at 10 we would be stupid if we did not draft him. People are saying we should pick up Jay Cutler at 10 but we should stay away from Young at 10?????????????? Young is a stud. Every QB needs to to learn how to read a Pro defense, not just Young. Learning how to take snaps under Center is not a big deal. Do you think he has never taken a snap under Center the past 7 years he has been playing football? His throwing motion will need some work but so will Cutler and Croyle and ab out everyone besides Leinart.

The reasons as to why not to draft Young are a Joke. He is the best leader at the QB position with a good arm. Great mobility,and can throw on the run

If people think the Cards should pick Jay Cutler at 10, Then Vince Young at 10 should be a no brainer

Oh and by the way, The QB position is a very big need for the Cards.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
john h said:
Denny's concern is for this year as if he does not do well there will be no year after that. If it's Denny's choice he will pass on Young unless he can draft him and trade him. Young will not be of much use for 1-2 years. I am not all that hot on Young and would not take him either as I want some action this year. The future is NOW. Warner can carry us for two years. Draft a QB in rd 2 or 3 if there is a decent one there. I am still for drafting White with our first pick.

Action WHERE?!?!?

An impact player is vitally important in round one but not an IMMEDIATE impact player. This is not the MacTobin era. The Cards for the first time in many years are not desparate for a rookie to come in and fill a position right away.

If one does it will be fantastic but it is not essential. It will not kill the Cards chances this fall if all the 2006 draft picks are backups waiting to start in 2007 or 2008 and playing special teams in '06.