Those About to Die (Peacock)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I held little hope for this one, as it looked like a third-rate attempt to cash in on the audience for the Roman Empire. I'm slowly working through it. It's...not great, nor good, but it does scratch two itches: A window (of only a quasi-historical quality) into a different era of the Empire and different emperors, and giving the Circus Maximus a lot of play. Good enough for me, although one thing really irked me and almost made me stop:

At one point, they told Vespasian "like what you did at the Siege of Alesia." Um, no, you dumb muthafuckin writer, Julies muthafuckin Caesar won the Siege of Alesia about a hundred years earlier!

Other than that disgusting writer booshie, the show is...manageable.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I held little hope for this one, as it looked like a third-rate attempt to cash in on the audience for the Roman Empire. I'm slowly working through it. It's...not great, nor good, but it does scratch two itches: A window (of only a quasi-historical quality) into a different era of the Empire and different emperors, and giving the Circus Maximus a lot of play. Good enough for me, although one thing really irked me and almost made me stop:

At one point, they told Vespasian "like what you did at the Siege of Alesia." Um, no, you dumb muthafuckin writer, Julies muthafuckin Caesar won the Siege of Alesia about a hundred years earlier!

Other than that disgusting writer booshie, the show is...manageable.
streaming?

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried watching it - had some interesting parts - may get back to it

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Oh, and then when Kwame finally gets into the Circus Maximus, it all falls apart. Wow!

First, his mother sneaks in to see him. That's fine. But Flamma meekly gives them privacy and doesn't give them poo. Okaaay. There follows the longest, awkwardest, no time pressure at all, "goodbye but swear you'll live" speech. So bad I was yelling "Get the eff on with it." But that wasn't the worst of it.

Kwame in the fight just gets his ass reamed--yet, for some reason, he never gets killed or even injured, and for no reason whatsoever, the crowd start changing his name like he's Rocky against Drago, and because Flamma refuses to kill him the emperor is all "he's tough!" and saves his skin. But that's not to mention the deus ex machina of Mount Vesuvius erupting and causing earthquakes that saves Kwame's life like 3 or 4 times.!

Sooo bad!