Those who have watched Fitz play...

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I see how good he is at making all the catches. He looks to be fast & smart enough.

My question is how good is he after the catch? Does he make big plays off regular catches?

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BEERZ said:
I see how good he is at making all the catches. He looks to be fast & smart enough.

My question is how good is he after the catch? Does he make big plays off regular catches?

Not against U of Miami and Virginia. :eek: ;)

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
From what I've seen his QB at Pitt was so poor that he had to constantly make ridiculous adjustments while the ball was in the air just to catch it--he never had much chance for YAC. I think that was what was so impressive from what I saw, he put up good numbers without a good supporting cast.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zeno said:
From what I've seen his QB at Pitt was so poor that he had to constantly make ridiculous adjustments while the ball was in the air just to catch it--he never had much chance for YAC. I think that was what was so impressive from what I saw, he put up good numbers without a good supporting cast.

:thewave: :fans: :lmao: :help:

No excuses, just results. And the chosen one will prevail. :shrug:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zeno said:

I've never seen a reliable source for YAC at the college level. He did average 18 yards per catch last year so whether it was YAC or leaping catches you have to give him some credit as zeno says. Most of the stuff I saw from Fitz was leaping catches, not run after catch, but the QB IS very important in YAC if the ball is late or not accurate, you don't get YAC.

I think from what I've seen, the best YAC WR in this draft was Roy Williams, Texas routinely threw him a 1 yard "screen" and he got 10 yards until teams figured it out, then of course Texas continued to throw him that ball because the offense was so predictable at times. Roy also had his share of snatch lousy passes out of the air in his career, remember the Bowl game his junior year where he made Chris Simms go several rounds higher in the draft.

I wasn't a huge Fitz believer early on but everything I've seen or read since has me convinced we made a solid choice. I was for Sean Taylor but I have no objections to us taking Fitz and I think the potentially scary WR trio we have now will justify that selection.

OP
OP
Goldfield

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I am not worried about his YAC abilities, since Boldin will get his share of that stat.

I was just wondering if that was a strength in his game. Not to menton there isnt much to talk about.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I watched Fitz with some regularity this past year and I can say that his yards after catch is kind of a mystery.

It could be because his QB is college didn't have the best of accuracy or that he was constantly triple covered, but it is one area that is an unknown when it comes to Fitz. The arguement that the QB wasn't all that great could be considered valid because of all the bad balls that Fitz caught. This is why Fitz was constantly on Sportcenter and highlight reels. He has such great balance and body control that he can change directions at almost any time and go after the ball. This should help McCown on deep routes because Fitz will either adjust and snag a badly thrown ball, or break up an interception.

The one thing that I can say is that Fitz gets seperation on almost every route, especially on post patterns. I believe that this is because he has such good balance in his routes that he can cut at almost any angle to find an opening in the coverage. He has a nice quiet body when he drives at the DB and therefore doesn't tip his route. He will be a very good downfield threat for the Cardinals and should get good yards after the catch if the balls are thrown accurately.

Fitzfan1

Reaction score
I've been a long time Pitt fan, and I watched just about every game last year. I will say that Fitz does not have blazing speed, but he runs his routes extremely well and he is very intelligent when it comes to reading the defense and what they are giving him. He makes excellent adjustments in route. He also has the absolute best body control/concentration that I have ever seen in a receiver.

His yards after the catch were probably not the greatest but several reasons can be given for that. First, as someone stated his qb was not the most accurate. For example, in the VaTech game, on the very opening play (or series) Fitz got behind the defense easily and had the ball been thrown properly he would have run 40 yards after the catch, but the ball was thrown short and he had to come back into the defender just to catch the ball. Which brings up another point. Fitzgerald does a great job at coming back to the ball and not waiting on it to get to him. In addition to the qb not being extremely accurate, Pitt had NO oline this past year. So here you have a qb that is not very accurate and in addition got very little time to throw the ball. The only games that Fitzgerald did not do well in were games in which the qb was sacked 9-10 times. Two other points. First there wasn't another real wr threat on Pitt last year, so Fitz was double and triple covered routinely. And lastly when you catch the ball in the endzone as often as he does there are no yac available. Be happy, you have a tremendous ball player in Larry Fitzgerald. If your qb can hit him in route, he will rack up yac. If not he will just make the amazing play look routine.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Fitzfan1 said:
I've been a long time Pitt fan, and I watched just about every game last year. I will say that Fitz does not have blazing speed, but he runs his routes extremely well and he is very intelligent when it comes to reading the defense and what they are giving him. He makes excellent adjustments in route. He also has the absolute best body control/concentration that I have ever seen in a receiver.

His yards after the catch were probably not the greatest but several reasons can be given for that. First, as someone stated his qb was not the most accurate. For example, in the VaTech game, on the very opening play (or series) Fitz got behind the defense easily and had the ball been thrown properly he would have run 40 yards after the catch, but the ball was thrown short and he had to come back into the defender just to catch the ball. Which brings up another point. Fitzgerald does a great job at coming back to the ball and not waiting on it to get to him. In addition to the qb not being extremely accurate, Pitt had NO oline this past year. So here you have a qb that is not very accurate and in addition got very little time to throw the ball. The only games that Fitzgerald did not do well in were games in which the qb was sacked 9-10 times. Two other points. First there wasn't another real wr threat on Pitt last year, so Fitz was double and triple covered routinely. And lastly when you catch the ball in the endzone as often as he does there are no yac available. Be happy, you have a tremendous ball player in Larry Fitzgerald. If your qb can hit him in route, he will rack up yac. If not he will just make the amazing play look routine.

:raccoon:

Good info.

Welcome!

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Fitzfan1 said:

:thumbup: :thewave:

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My guess is we'll find Fitz to be a black Ricky Proehl. There is only one Quan. Before Quan, there was Steve Largent and Otis Taylor.

OP
OP
Goldfield

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Well McCown is pretty accurate, and we have other WR threats, so we may see a very exciting passing game...

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
My guess is we'll find Fitz to be a black Ricky Proehl. There is only one Quan. Before Quan, there was Steve Largent and Otis Taylor.
Ricky who?

How about Randy Moss, Cris Carter, Jerry Rice. That is where Fitz is headed.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Larry Fitzgerald Earns Rave Midseason Reviews

10/16/2003

“The guy who is the best player in the country is Larry Fitzgerald of Pitt,” ESPN’s Kirk Herbstreit said.
Larry Fitzgerald has an NCAA-best 11 TD catches.

PITTSBURGH— “The guy who has separated himself without any doubt, the guy who is the best player in the country is Larry Fitzgerald of Pitt,” ESPN’s Kirk Herbstreit said last week.

Indeed, Fitzgerald has established himself as one of college football’s brightest stars with his astonishing pass-catching ability. He currently leads the country in receiving yards per game (132.4 avg.) and touchdown catches (11). He is fifth nationally in total receiving yards (662) and seventh in receptions per game (7.4 avg.).

Fitzgerald (Minneapolis, Minn./Academy of the Holy Angels) has caught a TD pass in 11 consecutive games and is in pursuit on the national record of 13 established by 2002 Biletnikoff Award winner Charles Rogers of Michigan State last year.

Not surprisingly, Fitzgerald has been named the nation’s “Best Offensive Player” by usatoday.com in its midseason awards listing. He additionally was named a “Midseason All-American” by sportsillustrated.com and collegefootballnews.com.

In a sampling of 11 college football experts by ESPN.com, Fitzgerald currently ranks among the top four players in the Heisman Trophy race. He is the only wide receiver among the top 16 players receiving votes.

Fitzgerald leads Pittsburgh against Rutgers this Saturday, Oct. 18. The Panthers host Syracuse on Oct. 25 in a noon ESPN Regional telecast.

The following is a sampling of the rave reviews Fitzgerald has earned nationwide to date:

“He’s made so many great catches, it’s like which catch are you talking about? This guy is really unbelievable. He’s doing some great things. I watched one of his highlights and as a coach you say, ‘Don’t you dare throw the ball! He’s tripled covered!’ And it’s like he’s the only guy there because he comes away with it being triple covered.”

Notre Dame head coach Tyrone Willingham

“Fitzgerald...should be at, or near, the top of your Heisman ballot if he continues on this roll.”

Dick Weiss, New York Daily News

“The guy who has separated himself without any doubt, the guy who is the best player in the country is Larry Fitzgerald of Pitt.”

Kirk Herbstreit, ESPN

“If I was an NFL general manager I’d take Larry Fitzgerald in a heartbeat. That catch he made over his shoulder against Texas A&M was unreal. He’s better than (Pittsburgh’s 2000 Biletnikoff Award winner) Antonio Bryant.”

Mike Kern, Philadelphia Daily News

“Pittsburgh sophomore wideout Larry Fitzgerald — the best player in college football.”

Matt Hayes, The Sporting News

“Mark it down folks. I think this young man should be a Heisman Trophy candidate. I haven’t seen a performance to rival this in a long time.”

ABC’s Brent Musburger following Fitzgerald’s three-touchdown, 135-yard receiving performance versus Texas A&M

“I’m a voter for the Heisman. Right now I’d have to say that guy (Fitzgerald) is at the top of the list. Who else in America have we seen who has more athleticism than that guy right there.”

ABC college football studio host Craig James

“It has been a long time since I have seen a college receiver who can make the catch in the air like Larry Fitzgerald.

“He reminds you of Cris Carter in that end zone. He touches it and he’s got it.”

ABC’s Brent Musburger

“He reminds me of Lynn Swann the way he reacts to the ball in the air. He’s just beautiful. He never has to break stride. He’s just a wonderful football player.”

ABC’s Gary Danielson

“He’s probably the best I’ve ever played against. He’s a tremendous athlete, a tremendous football player, and he’s going to make a lot of money playing this game some day.”

Texas A&M safety Jaxson Appel

“In a fluid Heisman situation, this was as big a statement as has been made this season.”

CBS SportsLine Senior Writer Dennis Dodd on Fitzgerald’s three-touchdown, 135-yard receiving performance versus Texas A&M

“Fitzgerald is facing double and triple coverage on a regular basis — and it’s only making his highlight reel catches look that much more impressive.”

Luke Winn, SI.com

“I’ve coached two Biletnikoff winners and seven first-round draft choices at receiver. If there’s somebody better than Larry, I’d like to see him.”

Pittsburgh head coach Walt Harris

“Larry Fitzgerald is the best receiver in college football, no question about it.”

Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Plaxico Burress

“Fitzgerald…suddenly makes the thought of a receiver winning the Heisman not quite so farfetched.”

ESPN.com Heisman Watch

“There aren’t enough superlatives to describe Fitzgerald.”

CBS SportsLine writer Tony Mejia

“No player in college football looks more ready to be a star in the NFL than the Pittsburgh wide receiver. (Fitzgerald) has the hands, size, athleticism and even the pro experience (as a Minnesota Vikings ballboy) to contribute right away.”

Pete Fiutak for The Sporting News

“He’s as good as it gets. He’s got size and smarts. If there’s a ball in the air, he’s going to get it.”

Miami head coach Larry Coker

“Fitzgerald may be as good a receiver as I’ve ever seen. If he’s not on ESPN highlights tonight...”

Texas A&M head coach Dennis Franchione

“If I had to start a team and I needed a wide receiver, I’d take Fitzgerald.”

ESPN’s Trev Alberts

“Larry Fitzgerald is going to be an All-Pro someday. He attacks every football in the air.”

ESPN’s Dave Sims

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:
I'm gonna have to wait till I annoint him in the likes of Rice & Moss.
How about Ricky Proehl LOL?