Thoughts On Bill Davis, John Lott, and the 2010 Roster

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I am not so sure about Pike either. Love his physical attributes, he looks the part, could stand to gain 10 pounds though right now he is a 6'6" stick of a human being also has a strong enough arm to make any throw in the NFL. But his accuracy is pretty bad and hasn't shown the decision making or improvement each year that a 3 year starter should be showing at this point.

I know Tim Tebow is a polarizing figuring among draftnics but I think under the right situation Tebow would be a really good QB if given the chance. The guy is humble, confident, great leader, hard working, smart, has that fire, every intangible you could possibly want in a QB. He has every single physical attribute you want in a QB as well, speed, strength, arm strength, and so on. But does he have the mental aspect of a QB, experience or technique you want in a QB? That would be a big no. Although he lives in the film room he could stand to learn a lot about reading a defense, how to actually play in a pro style offense, and proper throwing and drop back technique.

Here is why I actually think he would actually learn all of that on the Cards team. Him and Warner have a ton in common and would become great friends on and off the field. The guy is smart, hard working, highly motivated to be great, and is a big time christian. He would follow around Warner like a wide eyed puppy dog the moment he gets off the plane. If we decided to not give Matt an extension for multiple reasons and go in a different direction I actually would not mind drafting Tebow at the end of the 1st round if still there.

Did you watch Tebow play against the Tide last week? He was terrible at best. Saban runs an NFL type defense & Tebow looked worse than Brian St. Pierre this preseason!!! Tebow will suck in the NFL, write it down.

Come on Joe, you are much better than that.

Last edited:

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Did you watch Tebow play against the Tide last week? He was terrible at best. Saban runs an NFL type defense & Tebow looked worse than Brian St. Pierre this preseason!!! Tebow will suck in the NFL, write it down.

The only way I see Tebow breaking out in the League is in an H-back type role. He would also do well in Miami because they utilize the Wildcat moreso than any other team. I do not at all see Tebow as a full time QB, but give him a Slash type role on the O and he'll blow up. Somewhere between Percy Harvin, Reggie Bush and Kordell Stewart. Some of you football wonks might be able to explain it better....

Edit: H-back is an undersized TE/RB hybrid, isn't it (a la, Chris Cooley)? That's not what I mean. I stick with the Harvin/Bush/Stewart amalgam....

Last edited:

Hypothesis

Draft Junkie
Reaction score
I still really like Spikes but I have downgraded him one spot on my top 5 ILB prospect list. I am loving this AJ Edds kid out of Iowa and he is now right behind McLain. I think Edds is the closest thing to Dansby that college football has to offer. If anyone wants to watch great LB play watch a Iowa football game, because they have the best trio of LB's in college ball right now IMO.

Seen the kid play and absolutely love him. I think he's gonna be a major steal in this draft personally, but don't see him being taken until around the early to mid part of the third round. He plays OLB for Iowa but I think will be best suited as an ILB in a 3-4 in the pros.

Personally, in the first, I'd love to see the mountain of a man known as Terrance Cody fall to us late. With B-Rob's future uncertain, Gabe Watson's productivity unknown and Branch's effectiveness as a rotational DE and somewhat dissapointment as NT...I think having Mount Cody on the squad would make for a very imposing front. Especially after John Lott gets ahold of him and works his magic. Having an effective and monstrous NT makes the LB'ers jobs so much easier in both run support and pass rush. The knock on him is his motor...but with proper conditioning and teammates pushing him, I think he's gonna be just fine.

I'd still also like to get another OLB...seen some mocks with Eric Norwood, OLB from South Carolina, falling deep into the second round. I've only seen a little of him but he looked very versatile in both run support and coverage. Looks pretty fluid to me and have heard some good things about him from some friends of mine out there in the Carolina's that see him every game.

I'm of the opinion that we're still going to need to bolster our defense in this draft. We can get some developmental players for our offense in later rounds. We always seem to find at least one guy that impresses in later rounds.

Last edited:

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Personally, in the first, I'd love to see the mountain of a man known as Terrance Cody fall to us late. With B-Rob's future uncertain, Gabe Watson's productivity unknown and Branch's effectiveness as a rotational DE and somewhat dissapointment as NT...I think having Mount Cody on the squad would make for a very imposing front. Especially after John Lott gets ahold of him and works his magic. Having an effective and monstrous NT makes the LB'ers jobs so much easier in both run support and pass rush. The knock on him is his motor...but with proper conditioning and teammates pushing him, I think he's gonna be just fine.

I agree. Only I would want Dan Williams out of Tennessee. I just think he is better than Cody. But I really like the idea of adding a big nose tackle. Robinson has done such a good job, but I would like Dockett and Branch to focus more on their duties as defensive ends, and then there isn't much behind Robinson.

I'd still also like to get another OLB...seen some mocks with Eric Norwood, OLB from South Carolina, falling deep into the second round. I've only seen a little of him but he looked very versatile in both run support and coverage. Looks pretty fluid to me and have heard some good things about him from some friends of mine out there in the Carolina's that see him every game.

I think he could play inside linebacker. If he could, and if he falls deep into the second round, he could potentially be a big steal.

As for a quarterback, I sort of like Jerrod Johnson from Texas A&M. If he comes out, I think he would be a fine project. Of course, for that to happen, Warner has to play another year and I'm not sure of that, but if he did, I really think Johnson could become a very good quarterback in a couple of years.

I think there is a lot of great outside linebackers in this draft. But to me, Sergio Kindle is the most intriguing. I know there is some debate as to him being able to play in the NFL, but let me just put my take on him.
He has played both linebacker and defensive end at Texas, so he is familiar with both the position, and that should make for an easier transition with a NFL-team.
While is is true that his sack-numbers has decreased from 2008, every other of his stats are pretty much the same as the year before, and he has even gotten double the quarterback-hurries, meaning he is not that far away from getting more sacks.
I just think that Texas has other players that can get to the quarterback, so Kindle has pretty much done what the coaches has asked him to.
My biggest concern with him is that he seems to have trouble getting off blockers. But coaching can fix that.
Besides, with Cody Brown and Will Davis back it might not be the worst thing to have a linebacker, who are familiar with dropping into coverage and stop the run, as both Brown and Davis mostly are known for their pass rushing skills.

Other linebackers that I really like includes O'Brien Schofield out of Wisconsin, Antonio Coleman out of Auburn, Navarro Bowman out of Penn State and Ryan Kerrigan from Purdue.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Here is a list of our free agents. There certainly are some major decisions to be made

Here is my priority from that list

Steve Breaston WR RFA Extend
Jeremy Bridges OG UFA
Karlos Dansby ILB UFA Not gonna happen
Neil Rackers PK UFA
Bryan Robinson DT UFA
Lyle Sendlein C RFA Extend
Gabe Watson DT RFA

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dont forget about the upcoming 2010 uncapped year. Right now it looks about a 90% chance it will stay uncapped, even if a new CBA is done it still may stay uncapped for 2010 only because all of the teams have and are already planning for it. Teams have already taken the extra cap hits this year when they cut someone because their whole cap hit hit this year instead of spread out over to years like normal. So when ever anyone thinks about doing a look into the future it would be a best bet to look at it in terms of 2010 uncapped rules.

A good portion of our players will be RFA's because of the uncapped rules. That includes players such as Lutui and Watson.

Just my own little side note at this point in time the most important UFA behind Dansby to get re-signed is Rackers.

On Dan LeFevour I generally dont like spread O QB's. And Central Michigan is one of the most spread O offenses in college ball. He tucks the ball and runs way to often and his down field accuracy and power is horrible. Rarely is even allowed to throw down field because of it. Anything under 8 yards an attempt in college is a dink and dunker. Not so sure that is a fit for Fitz and Breaston who like to work the over the top routes.

People don't understand how bad this uncapped year is for playoff teams. You can't sign anybody worth a damn if you make the playoffs.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the rule:

The rule will restrict the final eight teams in the playoffs from signing free agents. The final four teams shall not be permitted to negotiate and sign any unrestricted free agent to a player contract except for players who acquired their status by being cut or were on the final four team when their contract expired. Playoff teams five thru eight get a break to sign one player with a salary of $4,925,000 or more and any number of players with a first-year salary of no more than $3,275,000 and an annual increase of no more than 30 percent in the following years.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d808736ba&template=with-video&confirm=true

BIRDGANG
Reaction score

I'm of the opinion that we're still going to need to bolster our defense in this draft. We can get some developmental players for our offense in later rounds. We always seem to find at least one guy that impresses in later rounds.

The only way I want us to touch Cody is if we still have Lott and even then I'd much rather take a LB. But if Cody ever dropped down to 350lbs or so and could keep his stamina throughout the game, man oh man. I'm liking Eric Norwood a lot as well, I've been reading on him and everyone thinks he can play OLB or ILB in the 3-4 and that type of versatility could be hugely needed assuming Dansby leaves.

Hypothesis

Draft Junkie
Reaction score
The only way I want us to touch Cody is if we still have Lott and even then I'd much rather take a LB. But if Cody ever dropped down to 350lbs or so and could keep his stamina throughout the game, man oh man. I'm liking Eric Norwood a lot as well, I've been reading on him and everyone thinks he can play OLB or ILB in the 3-4 and that type of versatility could be hugely needed assuming Dansby leaves.

Well as of right now he is officially listed at 360 and people have praised his efforts to tone up and shed the pounds in an effort to improve his stamina and mobility. And yes...I agree that either John Lott or another very skilled and knowledgeable strength and conditioning coach would be an important influence in someone like Cody's career. I still think Cody can have an enormous impact at NT in this league and would love to see him on this squad. His skill set and natural ability are impressive...at least to me.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Here is a list of our free agents. There certainly are some major decisions to be made

Anthony Becht TE UFA
Betrand Berry DE UFA
Steve Breaston WR RFA
Jeremy Bridges OG UFA
Ralph Brown CB UFA
Dominique Byrd TE RFA
Ben Claxton OF RFA
Karlos Dansby ILB UFA
Mike Gandy OT UFA
Justin Green FB RFA
Dan Kreider FB UFA
Deuce Lutui OG RFA
Sean Morey WR UFA
Chike Okeafor OLB UFA
Ben Patrick TE RFA
Neil Rackers PK UFA
Bryan Robinson DT UFA
Lyle Sendlein C RFA
Stephen Spach TE RFA
Brian St. Pierre QB UFA
Jerheme Urban WR UFA
Matt Ware S UFA
Gabe Watson DT RFA

There are the players that I would look at.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
There is no way Cards are going to trade Leinart after preparing him for so long, IF Cards believe he can carry the team which all indications are that they do. Grooming a new QB takes a while, even the first rounders and I doubt Cards can afford that with the other position talent being wasted. And St. Pierre is not a #2 QB... sorry, he has not shown anything at all even when given a chance in pre-season to compete for the position.

Q's trade may not be that easy based on last year's draft day attempts. His high contract desire may drive away quite a few teams. But, I do believe Cards will again at least attempt to listen to offers and may bite on less than a first round pick offer.

And, yes, Lott should be signed to an extension.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score

You are right I am better, thanks. :)

Just a year earlier Tebow was awesome against the same Alabama scheme. I look at the whole not a piece. I also readily admit the guy has a lot to learn about reading a D and learning the technique of a pro style under center QB. I also know he is one of the hardest working kids in college right now and will work harder then 99% of the other QB prospects to fix his issues.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
If anyone is wondering here is a full list of who is under contract, who would be a unrestricted FA, and who would be a restricted or exclusive rights FA under current uncapped 2010 rules.

Current players under contract:

Quarterback
Warner, Kurt
Leinart, Matt

Running Back
Hightower, Tim
Wells, Beanie
Stephens-Howling, LaRod
Wright, Jason

Wide Reciever
Fitzgerald, Larry
Boldin, Anquan
Doucet, Early

Offensive Line
Wells, Reggie
Brown, Levi
Johnson, Herman
Keith, Brandon

Defensive Line
Dockett, Darnell
Campbell, Calais
Branch, Alan
Iwebema, Kenny

Linebacker
Haggans, Clark
Hayes, Gerald
Brown, Cody
Davis, Will
Walker, Reggie

Cornerback
McFadden, Bryant
Rodgers-Cromartie, Dominique
Toler, Greg

Safety
Wilson, Adrian
Rolle, Antrel
Johnson, Rashad

Special Teams
Leach, Mike
Graham, Ben

Soon to be Unrestricted Free Agents:

St. Pierre, Brian QB
Kreider, Dan FB
Becht, Anthony TE
Morey, Sean WR
Urban, Jerheme WR
Bridges, Jeremy OL
Gandy, Mike OL
Robinson, Bryan DL
Dansby, Karlos LB
Okeafor, Chike LB
Berry, Bertrand LB
Beisel, Monty LB
Brown, Ralph CB
Ware, Matt S
Rackers, Neil K

Soon to be Restricted or Exclusive Rights Free Agents:

Renkart, Brandon FB
Green, Justin FB
Patrick, Ben TE
Spach, Stephen TE
Breaston, Steve WR
Gant, Edward WR
Jones, Onrea WR
Claxton, Ben C
Sendlein, Lyle C
Lutui, Deuce OL
Canfield, Trevor OL
Banks, Jason DL
Dykes, Keilen DL
Watson, Gabe DL
Daryl Washinton LB
Togafau, Pago LB
Highsmith, Ali LB
Barksdale, Rashad CB
Adams, Michael CB

Finally a side note. Rackers may not be dealt with right away, he would be very easy to franchise.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Finally a side note. Rackers may not be dealt with right away, he would be very easy to franchise.
why would you want to spend your franchise tag on a kicker??? He may also be relatively easy to sign.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
why would you want to spend your franchise tag on a kicker??? He may also be relatively easy to sign.

I believe that we do have a number of different types of tags available in a non-capped year.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser