Thoughts on The Cardinals' Offensive Line

petelondon

Reaction score
Maybe I'm being a bit optimistic but I'm willing to give the guys a chance this year.
if we can get Warmack, that would be ideal as it would solidify the left side.

After years of desperate coaching from Grimm, it will be interesting to see what the new guys can do and hopefully coach our existing players up.

Also we have new personnel behind the OL. A new QB who can actually complete passes, a RB with 1000 yd seasons under his belt , Ryan hopefully coming back and adding a spark. A TE in Housler who could have a good year in the new system.

So these things mean we aren't so one-dimensional and teams will have to think about our weapons for a change. Might give our OL an extra second or two of breathing space.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I'm liking Johnathon Cooper more and more. He is sadi to lack ideal strength yet he put up 35 reps at the combine. That was at or near the top for OL. This tells me he has the brute strength but not the funtional strength. I think that would be something that coaching could rectify. He's off the charts athletically.

The other later round OG/OT I like is Dallas Thomas. Here is a good write up on him from NFP:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/college_player_scouting_report.html&player=44984

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Let me ask you this: have you ever seen Levi Brown, Daryn Colledge, Lyle Sendlein and Adam Snyder have good games?

Yes. Few and far between but yes.

Lately ? While on the Cardinals ? Working as a group ?

No. Unless during the bare minimum means they played well, then yes, and few and far between at that.

The potential for this group to be good is considerable. BA believes they will...and he is confident that they will get all the proper coaching and preparation.

Aren't you willing to see what BA and Harold Carmichael can do with this group before you brand them the weakest link on the roster?

1st off, I don't have to brand the offensive line the weakest link on the roster. We are on our third year with this mess and everyone in football land, media, fans, analysts, and even the Cardinals official website talks about the offensive line being the weak link.

They ARE the weak link. Are you really trying to sell me the SAME offensive line that is not only a laughing stock, but even worse, annually keeps this organization from being a contender ? If so, save your breath, cause I am not going to by it. All the talking in the world doesn't make a bunch of poor offensive linemen, past their prime magically become a quality group.

I am interested in what BA and company are going to do to solve the situation, but I think it is laughable that they are selling that they will compete this year. This offensive line is so bad, it needs two seasons to become stable, and serviceable. And NO, ABSOLUTELY NOT, the solution is NOT to go out and sign some over priced free agent. That is what got us into this mess. The Cardinals have to take their medicine and build this line the right way. Through the draft, not with cast offs that other teams don't like, even, as you state, when they have been a part of success. They are called weak links in the line, and our offensive line is a collection of weak links.

Bruce Arians is talking a big game right now, but as he says, I want to see the proof on the grass. If Arians is selling this same offensive line then he is committing the SAME EXACT MISTAKE as Whiz, and company. Being arrogant and trying to fix the unfixable.

The line needs talent to compete, and they don't have it right now, and all signs and proof from what we have seen over the last 3 years backs that.

For example, I watched and analyzed three of Snyder's games at RG for SF two years ago: the two Cardinal games and the NFC Championship game.

I would give him a B+ in all three of those games. He did an especially good job on Darnell Dockett twice. And versus the Giants in the NFC Championship he played even better, imo.

If Snyder doesn't step up after last year's injury riddled disappointment, then he will be one of the first to go. This coaching staff isn't going to have patience with under-achieving veterans.

Ah, the Alan Faneca sell. Haven't we already learned our lessen in parading over the hill offensive linemen out onto the field, and hyping them on what they did 3,4 or 5 years ago, and expect the player to go back in time and become what they used to be, but cannot be today ?

Point being:

LT: Levi Brown
LG: Daryn Colledge
OC: Lyle Sendlein
RG: Adam Snyder
RT: Bobby Massie

That is a 10 loss season right there. Before the season even gets started. Same thing it was last February when it was sold to us by the Cardinals. And what is worse ? The tackles are the farthest thing from the problem on this line. Right there are two horrifically bad guards, and one of the worst centers I have seen keep his job in this league. Yet, in true Cardinal fashion, all signs point to the Cardinals picking a tackle. Stupid as that sounds, it is what they are going to do, a year after picking Bobby Massie who slid in the draft because we was "just a RT". But we needed on, and took him, and he turns out to be the best player we drafted last year.

This team is not going ANYWHERE until it invests in the offensive line.

We pick the best player in the draft and get Patrick Peterson

We pick "just a RT" and get the right tackle our line desperately needed.

So what are the Cardinals leaning towards ? Pulling a Levi Brown, reaching for a tackle, and moving Massie to guard. WTF ? Seriously WTF. Just take the best player in the draft for a position of desperate need. Arians concerns me with this over confidence, and what I am seeing as being "too cute" for his own good. For a "straight shooter" he seems to like to play the game of "I know better". We will see about that....on the grass. And before that, we will get some foreshadowing in the draft, and after it. If Arians and company make a push to try and improve the line in the draft, that will help me buy into what he is selling. But, if we pick Johnson over Warmack, I will have an "I told you so" in my back pocket ready for that pick to blow up Levi Brown style in our faces. Which I would love to be wrong about. I want this team to be successful, but I am just not buying the same thing that was sold to us for three years that turned out to be a heaping pile of bull crap.

Cause till then, as Granny Hawkins says, "That big talk is worth doodly squat."

Last edited:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let me ask you this: have you ever seen Levi Brown, Daryn Colledge, Lyle Sendlein and Adam Snyder have good games?...
Mitch - While you make a valid point that each of them has played in big games, frankly I cannot remember an outing where any of the four could be singled out for having a dominating game where they absolutely owned their opponent.

As long as you were asking.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

No. Unless during the bare minimum means they played well, then yes, and few and far between at that.

1st off, I don't have to brand the offensive line the weakest link on the roster. We are on our third year with this mess and everyone in football land, media, fans, analysts, and even the Cardinals official website talks about the offensive line being the weak link.

They ARE the weak link. Are you really trying to sell me the SAME offensive line that is not only a laughing stock, but even worse, annually keeps this organization from being a contender ? If so, save your breath, cause I am not going to by it. All the talking in the world doesn't make a bunch of poor offensive linemen, past their prime magically become a quality group.

I am interested in what BA and company are going to do to solve the situation, but I think it is laughable that they are selling that they will compete this year. This offensive line is so bad, it needs two seasons to become stable, and serviceable. And NO, ABSOLUTELY NOT, the solution is NOT to go out and sign some over priced free agent. That is what got us into this mess. The Cardinals have to take their medicine and build this line the right way. Through the draft, not with cast offs that other teams don't like, even, as you state, when they have been a part of success. They are called weak links in the line, and our offensive line is a collection of weak links.

Bruce Arians is talking a big game right now, but as he says, I want to see the proof on the grass. If Arians is selling this same offensive line then he is committing the SAME EXACT MISTAKE as Whiz, and company. Being arrogant and trying to fix the unfixable.

The line needs talent to compete, and they don't have it right now, and all signs and proof from what we have seen over the last 3 years backs that.

Ah, the Alan Faneca sell. Haven't we already learned our lessen in parading over the hill offensive linemen out onto the field, and hyping them on what they did 3,4 or 5 years ago, and expect the player to go back in time and become what they used to be, but cannot be today ?

Point being:

That is a 10 loss season right there. Before the season even gets started. Same thing it was last February when it was sold to us by the Cardinals. And what is worse ? The tackles are the farthest thing from the problem on this line. Right there are two horrifically bad guards, and one of the worst centers I have seen keep his job in this league. Yet, in true Cardinal fashion, all signs point to the Cardinals picking a tackle. Stupid as that sounds, it is what they are going to do, a year after picking Bobby Massie who slid in the draft because we was "just a RT". But we needed on, and took him, and he turns out to be the best player we drafted last year.

So what are the Cardinals leaning towards ? Pulling a Levi Brown, reaching for a tackle, and moving Massie to guard. WTF ? Seriously WTF. Just take the best player in the draft for a position of desperate need. Arians concerns me with this over confidence, and what I am seeing as being "too cute" for his own good. For a "straight shooter" he seems to like to play the game of "I know better". We will see about that....on the grass. And before that, we will get some foreshadowing in the draft, and after it. If Arians and company make a push to try and improve the line in the draft, that will help me buy into what he is selling. But, if we pick Johnson over Warmack, I will have an "I told you so" in my back pocket ready for that pick to blow up Levi Brown style in our faces. Which I would love to be wrong about. I want this team to be successful, but I am just not buying the same thing that was sold to us for three years that turned out to be a heaping pile of bull crap.

while I see and recognize loads of misused talent with our tackles I agree with you whole heartedly about the inner line.....many times we have watched the entire pocket drp back with our QB the past few seasons.

Seindlein is just too small, not powerful enough, to be an effective center....and our guards are just nasty

I would love to see the worlds most "un-sexy" draft and have the first three rounds be.....

Warmack
Pugh
Schwenke

then maybe grab Quessenberry in the fifth....there is something about that guy I like, just cannot nail it down....

shoring up, solidifying, the interior line is not only vital to immediate success, but is the ONLY way this team can think about building for long term success as well.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Levi Brown...........he is still Levi Brown. Rated as one of if not the worst offensive tackle in the league for all but 8 games of his career. If Levi Brown is SO much better after not playinf football for a whole year and being injured then he has to prove it on the field because if Levi Brown was a tenth of the player he has talked up to be, he has been talked up every year since he was drafted he would not be rated as one of the worst tackles in the league for the time period he has been in the league.

Daryn Colledge was brought in as the known weak link on the GB line as has performed for the Cardinals as such. Weak, slow, bad technique and poor awareness for a lineman. Gets stood up on pull blocks, whiffs on screen blocks, never gets to the seconf level and my favorite, spends most of his time in our backfield. One of the main reasons the Cardinals have on of the weakest interior lines in the NFL. No scheme is going to fix his sub par skills.

Lyle Sendlien, who is so good a presnap reads that our offensive line constantly looks lost and confused. If you think about how weak the offensive line has consistently been with him at center as the one constant while personel around him is constantly change makes you wonder if it is Sendlien's ineptness at pre-snap, his bad habit of tipping the snap of the ball or his inability to block in the run or pass game that may be the problem. This year will be the first year he will have to earn his job, so my question is, who is this year's center?

Adam Snyder, rumored to be the guy cut if we go offensive lineman. Rated as one of the few and I mean very few offensive linemen worse then Levi Brown. Snyder could be kept for depth since that is what his talent dictates. He should not be starting, and if he is he should be the weak link on the line. But I will give Snyder one thing, he is my solitary example of how poor this interior line is......he is the best one on the roster. A career backup talent is our best guard.

The players above have been on the field because of our organizations poor scouting, planning, and evaluation. All of them have unmanageable contracts and all of them played in the past because of their contracts and not because of their poor skill.

Bobby Massie
Nate Potter
Senio Kelemete

That is where the hope for this unit resides.

The rest of the camp fodder is pure fodder. These are players worse then the 2nd and 3rd string talent currently on the roster.

Look to add at least two offensive linemen in the draft, and the Cardinals need to.

This is the same unit that took the field in 2011 and 2012. Let's not kid ourselves in to talking away the horrific display shown by this offensive line over the last few years.

They are thr weakest link on this roster and needs to be improved or the Cardinals will be a 10 loss team again.

You hit the nail on the head. The Cardinals need to address the o-line early and often.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
People keep talking about Warmack only effecting the run game. This will be his bread and butter. But if you look at where many of the breakdowns happened last year, it wasn't just speed rushers around the edge.

In previous years our inside wasn't the sieve the tackles were, especially against speed rushers, but they didn't scream competence in their abilities as well. We could really use an upgrade to pass blocking on the interior. This area was really bad last year, and with LS, it's always been a struggle with him to win the trench battles.

I see Warmack as an upgrade in our interior pass blocking AND a massive upgrade to our run blocking on the interior.

I see a guy like Fisher, who has more uncertainty, could possibly and probably would improve our pass blocking at LT, but I doubt he would best Levi in run blocking.

Sure we could possibly kick Levi to RT or possibly even inside, but I see something special with teaming Warmack and Levi together in terms of run blocking.

I wouldn't be mad if we went tackle, because we need to stop the speed rushers in our speed rusher division, but if we only marginally gain on that point and lose on the run blocking point, and still have Colledge and Snyder on the inside with LS manning the middle, I feel, barring improvements from the Arian's OL crew, we would gain less than we would with Warmack.

Also it is a possibility that we would kick Colledge to right guard and Snyder to center, and we'd then be upgrading our center position as well.

With Fisher, we'd probably kick Levi out to RT before sending him inside, and that would mean we would be benching Massie, which in the medium to long term hurts his development.

I want Warmack because to me he is the most dominant lineman in years at any oline position. It makes sense to where we are weakest. It pushes guys around to where they might be more useful (Snyder at center instead of guard). It fits where we have a number of players already and allows Massie a chance to build on the baptism by fire he succeeded in during the 2nd half of the season. You can easily find a guy like Fisher any year. True you can find serviceable to good guards lower in the draft, but it's much harder to identify one. Guys like Warmack come around once in a few years at best and more like a decade or so.

I just don't see the need to pass up a sure stud who is much beyond his peers any given year at a position of more need than an unproven possible stud who is merely equal to a 2nd tier LT that can be had any year at a position of lesser need.

Two points, and I say this favouring Warmack as the first round choice:

1. You can't and never have been able to find rare LT talents like Fisher any year.

2. If Levi goes to RT... Arians has already said that he believes that Massie can play inside.

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
I think the thing that we're forgetting is what this new group of coaches sees on the film that leads Arians & Co to say the offensive line will not be a problem going forward. He has said repeatedly we're VERY close maybe one or two pieces. Keim has stated that we need to get nastier up front and you'd have to think run blocking is a BIG priority.

Therefore I'm willing to give the new staff the benefit of the doubt based on what they see. If they think that Massie and Potter will be better Guards than Tackles, then I'm taking the wait and see approach. Don't forget too that the protections, line calls, and blocking schemes will be very different than under Grimm.

Lets be patient and see how this plays out. Regardless of who we draft, look for a MUCH improved group both in pass protection and run blocking.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score

Point being:

I would agree that that is a 10 loss season right there---under the previous coaching staff, who would leave the tackles on islands versus the best pass rushers and who had little sense as to how to teach the players how to switch on stunts and play as a unit..

BA is upbeat about the group. He has been adamant about that.

BA, Harold Carmichael and Larry Zierlein think the talent is there and they can coach these guys up.

I have seen good games and some good stretches of games from all of those players myself, so I think it is possible that the new coaches can do the trick.

The other thing I am highly cognizant of is that in the past year the Cardinals have re-signed LT Levi Brown, signed C/G Adam Snyder, re-signed C Lyle Sendlein, drafted T Bobby Massie, drafted G Senio Kelmete, drafted T Nate Potter, acquired G/C Mike Gibson, signed UCFA C Scott Wedige and signed G Jeremiah Warren.

That's 9 transactions.

The difficult and awkward reality that all of us are dealing with is the cap hits the Cardinals would incur by letting Brown, Colledge, Snyder and Sendlein go. Basically, it gives the Cardinals virtually no financial advantage to let them go.

Now, what do you want the Cardinals to do? Draft and start 2-3 rookies?

Plus, some people think plugging in Eric Fisher or Lane Johnson at LT is an instant upgrade---but they are green NFL rookies and no one really knows what we can expect, except realistically for there to be a good deal of struggles early on.

BA's LT in Indy last year, Anthony Castonzo, was in his 2nd year last year---thank goodness---because here was beat writer's Tom James' assessment of Castonzo's rookie season: "battled consistency issues as a rookie after being Colt's top draft pick."

Castonzo, a BC alum, is one of the very best and most athletic LTs BC has ever had---he started for 4 years and played versus the likes of Robert Quinn and Quinton Coples.

Having watched oodles of tape on Joeckel, Fisher and Johnson, and having watched every game Castonzo played at BC, I think Castonzo has better LT skills that all three of them.

Castonzo was drafted at #22.

Joeckel, Fisher and Johnson are going to struggle---just as Riley Reiff did last year in Detroit when he couldn't beat out the venerable Jeff Backus.

It's quite possible that for a HC like BA who wants to win now, that the Cardinals could draft Joeckel, Fisher or Johnson and still wind up with Levi Brown starting at LT.

Then, ok, you draft let's say Johnson and start him at LT, so you move Levi Brown to RT and Bobby Massie to RG, now you are virtually starting two rookies---or Massie gets beat out by Adam Snyder and now last year's 4th round draft pick and full-time starter is relegated to the bench.

I have a real problem with that. All that time invested in Massie now goes to waste.

Correct me if I am wrong, but Bobby Massie looks to me like the ideal RT---he's long and athletic, he has long arms and very good strength. Once he masters his footwork, he could be outstanding.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Two points, and I say this favouring Warmack as the first round choice:

1. You can't and never have been able to find rare LT talents like Fisher any year.

2. If Levi goes to RT... Arians has already said that he believes that Massie can play inside.

I understand your thinking here, but to call Fisher a "rare talent"?

Please explain, if you have the chance. Thanks.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I

I have a real problem with that. All that time invested in Massie now goes to waste.

Correct me if I am wrong, but Bobby Massie looks to me like the ideal RT---he's long and athletic, he has long arms and very good strength. Once he masters his footwork, he could be outstanding.

Agree with this. Massie is turning out to be a success story. Why screw with it?

Add a guard and center this draft and watch the OL develop.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't see Fisher as a rare talent. I see him as the type of guy we see every year at LT. Granted I believe he came out of nowhere his senior year, so that is rare, but hey I might be missing something that makes him better than a Joe Thomas. But as of now I'm of the mindset that he's as good as any #2 Tackle in basically any year's draft. I would be interested to know what you see that makes him a rare talent.

I'd actually would rather have Levi inside. I think the #1 problem with Levi is he can't handle the outside rush, especially when they are fast (i.e. speed rush). I've seen him for years try to cheat outside and really sell out to it, only then to get burned on the inside. If you have him on the inside, you get what he is best at, controlling what is in front of him, and he's always been a monster in the run game. So if we were to go tackle, I'd push Levi inside. Though I understand that the usual choice would be push your LT out to RT, and the RT inside.

The thing I can't stress is how good this draft seems to be in line help. If we don't seriously draft the hell out of linemen early this draft, we might be hard pressed to make big advances in subsequent years. This is the year to get 2-3, even 4 OL'men and rebuild the unit. Really I want 2-3 guys in the first four rounds and at least two of those guys on the inside, preferably 3. But if we were to get three, one might be a tackle, which I'm ok with, but is not ideal. Then perhaps draft somebody late.

The other guy up high drafted be a safety or OLB. With the other taken later. But OL and S is this year's draft. So I'd rather it be safety.

If we don't load up now, we might have to fight like most years to get guys in the first round or two and hope somebody slips to later or pans out. This is the year.

I'm not too concerned with Arians on this front yet, because I'm not expecting him to tell us what's up. Now if after the draft we haven't majorly added to the line, barring a historic run on lineman, like 15 in a row historic in say the 2nd round, (and hopefully we already have two, or one and a safety and we get screwed by the run), I would be.

We need to load up or reap the consequences of not only missing out on all this talent, but be going against all these teams who didn't.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I don't see Fisher as a rare talent. I see him as the type of guy we see every year at LT. Granted I believe he came out of nowhere his senior year, so that is rare, but hey I might be missing something that makes him better than a Joe Thomas. But as of now I'm of the mindset that he's as good as any #2 Tackle in basically any year's draft. I would be interested to know what you see that makes him a rare talent.

I'd actually would rather have Levi inside. I think the #1 problem with Levi is he can't handle the outside rush, especially when they are fast (i.e. speed rush). I've seen him for years try to cheat outside and really sell out to it, only then to get burned on the inside. If you have him on the inside, you get what he is best at, controlling what is in front of him, and he's always been a monster in the run game. So if we were to go tackle, I'd push Levi inside. Though I understand that the usual choice would be push your LT out to RT, and the RT inside.

The thing I can't stress is how good this draft seems to be in line help. If we don't seriously draft the hell out of linemen early this draft, we might be hard pressed to make big advances in subsequent years. This is the year to get 2-3, even 4 OL'men and rebuild the unit. Really I want 2-3 guys in the first four rounds and at least two of those guys on the inside, preferably 3. But if we were to get three, one might be a tackle, which I'm ok with, but is not ideal. Then perhaps draft somebody late.

The other guy up high drafted be a safety or OLB. With the other taken later. But OL and S is this year's draft. So I'd rather it be safety.

If we don't load up now, we might have to fight like most years to get guys in the first round or two and hope somebody slips to later or pans out. This is the year.

I'm not too concerned with Arians on this front yet, because I'm not expecting him to tell us what's up. Now if after the draft we haven't majorly added to the line, barring a historic run on lineman, like 15 in a row historic in say the 2nd round, (and hopefully we already have two, or one and a safety and we get screwed by the run), I would be.

We need to load up or reap the consequences of not only missing out on all this talent, but be going against all these teams who didn't.

The Cardinals are likely to keep 9 OL on the roster, possibly 10---and will dress 7-8 on game day.

If we add 3-4 o-linemen as you suggest---who are they, who starts and who are the 9-10 roster players?

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I understand your thinking here, but to call Fisher a "rare talent"?

Please explain, if you have the chance. Thanks.

6-7 over 300 lb. with very good movement skills.

In any given year to be considered a top 10 talent when hundreds upon hundreds are closely assessed is in itself rare.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
6-7 over 300 lb. with very good movement skills.

In any given year to be considered a top 10 talent when hundreds upon hundreds are closely assessed is in itself rare.
I disagree. Rare is someone like Warmack who is considered to be the best prospect to enter the draft in over 10 years.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I disagree. Rare is someone like Warmack who is considered to be the best prospect to enter the draft in over 10 years.
(Buzzer!) One analyst said he considered Warmack to be the best GUARD prospect to enter the draft in over 10 years. Strong words, but just because one guy said it doesn't make it so.

There are at least a couple of analysts who, prefer Cooper over Warmack. Does that make Cooper the best guard prospect in 10 years?

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The Cardinals are likely to keep 9 OL on the roster, possibly 10---and will dress 7-8 on game day.

If we add 3-4 o-linemen as you suggest---who are they, who starts and who are the 9-10 roster players?

Well I'm open to a wide variety of what's out there. As I've said I'm open to getting a tackle, but only if one falls and even then I'd be more likely to take a safety given that we can be assured to get a prospect (whether they pan out is another question) if we draft one in round 2 or 3. We might be able to get one in round 4, but it's possible they are gone or we'd be down to the bottom of what the

See the difference in our opinions is that you see the potential potential of some of the guys we have down the depth chart that we've picked up. Potential low risk, low to medium reward players that if we're lucky one of the guys might become a bit better than a medium reward and be an average player at their position. Now this is ok, I'm not faulting you on trying to read and gauge these players and what not. I just believe its time for a different strategy and this is the year of any year to use that strategy.

What I know is that we're not in a position really to go this route. We really need to upgrade this line pronto, and I don't feel having 5-6 of these guys to potentially get one decent guy is worth holding all these roster spots in a venerable hostage situation to what we could do with those spots. Given how our starters simply don't match up to NFL standards, and especially not in our division, I know that trying to find some cream to rise to the top will not solve our problem. If anything as I said it might replace one guy when we need many replacements right now and be bracing for the future when we need even more replacements. We need to fast track our fix and not rely on a strategy that works better when you have a solid line and starters in front. This is when it's better to employ that strategy.

Right now we have an opportunity and a warning in that we can try to wait for some cream to rise, or we can go out and purchase in the draft some top notch cream right now while there is a big overstock at the store we haven't seen in a decade or longer. The warning comes to us that if we don't, others with better lines than ours will further the gap between us and them by picking up these players.

So I'm saying rather than these lower rung guys we picked up holding a spot, we should be using those spots on this great OL draft class.

In a perfect world I'd love a great LT. But what we have is Levi, who is great at certain aspects of being a tackle and horrible in others. We also have him signed and at a decent deal so I believe this year isn't the year to bypass great inside players for tackles. Our need is on the inside. I feel even if we add 3-4 guys, we will need to use a 1st or 2nd round on a lineman each of the next two years to round out the line.

Some of it because we still wouldn't have the talent for a great unit. Another reason is because odds are somebody won't pan out. Another reason is the guys get older and/or injuries happen. So how far down we are, we really need to draft enough guys to fix this unit, and if we wait until another year, it might not be possible to get it done so quickly. We can get probably halfway there in this draft, which is amazing given that we could literally use 4-5 new starters on the line. That we can do this and probably pick up a good safety to me is one helluva draft.

As I've said I think for this next year Levi at LT is something we should get used to. If there was one guy I'd want to see what Arians can do for, it's him. In time, if we find a replacement in 2014 or 2015, I say pushing him inside is the way to go. But if we've fixed it like I feel we could, he would make for one helluva backup. Which would be consistent with potentially having a great line. I believe his contract expires after the 2015 season, 4 years right? So by 2016 he could be re-signed, or even 2015 as an extension to a more cap friendly deal.

I think Colledge and Snyder as guards are expendable. I'm ok with cutting both. But I can see us as needing one more year of Colledge at RG if we don't draft as many guys as we want. Snyder imo would be better served as a center. As a center I can see him potentially playing as long as LS there. We should still be looking for an upgrade, and if we can get a guy in the draft, like Schwenke or Jones then we have an option at least for this next season in seeing who is better. The draftee or Snyder. Thus I'd rather have a situation where it's possible that Snyder is a backup over some guy we picked up off the waiver wire.

I'm more partial to our draftees. Massie might eventually need to be replaced in a year or two. But I feel he gets at least this year to improve. Probably two. At this point, I consider him the safest position on the line. I give him the most leeway. He has the most future promise of any OLmen we have on the roster. Potter will make for a good backup, and I'm not opposed to him being a guard either, but I'm not going to stop adding to the position because of that potential. But I definitely want him on the roster over another team's castoff. Same goes with Kelemete.

So right now I'd say our top linemen our Levi, Massie, Snyder (at center), Potter, Kelemete, and the rest are expendable. Doesn't mean I'd get rid of all of them, but these are the guys I would feel assured are locks for a roster spot next year.

Levi either needs to be coached up or replaced, but he gets this year, and potentially more as a backup at guard or tackle. Massie could be our RT of the future, or a guy we need to replace. Snyder our center or backup center and backup guard. Potter and Kelemete are our developmental guys.

Now I'm not for Joeckel/Fisher/Johnson. Would I mind it terribly if they were picked? No, because they are talents. I just don't feel it would impact our line nearly as much as a legit guard would. As I said earlier all we'd be doing is potentially bettering our speed rush capability, and perhaps lessening the run blocking out of the position. If we pushed Levi inside it might work out better, but most people seem to think he'd be a RT, which then would negate Massie. So if that's what happens picking any one of those guys doesn't net much.

If we get Warmack, immediately our LG and at least for the next year our left side will be a powerful side to run behind. We'd have to give Warmack some time like any rookie to get his bearings, but I see that as a winning running combination. At least it would make the drawbacks of the Levi conundrum more palatable to swallow. Such a talented run blocker, but so lacking in his capability of blocking the speed rush. But if properly schemed and chipped and building a running wall, it could be serviceable at pass blocking and great at run blocking. Levi would then be a very palatable stop gap which we could then take a wait and see approach for the future.

Ideally at center we'd have Snyder battling a rookie like Schwenke or Jones. If we get a center, then I'm ready to cut ties to LS. But it doesn't mean we have to. Again I'd rather have Lyle then a castoff from another team. So as you can see the trend here, instead of holding those spots for the castoffs, I'd rather have them for our current starters until we can replace them. But given FA is basically already played out, I'm ok with giving them another year, while allowing them the chance of Arians and the slate of OL coaches a chance to extend their careers. Plus it would give us a chance to have experienced backups that can help bridge the gap with all these youngsters we bring on. Again I'd rather have our draftees around guys who started then guys who were castoffs that usually didn't play much.

Now with Arians we know he has no problem with roster turnover and Keim has already shown he isn't afraid of turnover. So after the draft we might see any or all of the following veteran linemen cut. Colledge, Snyder, and LS. I don't see it as likely that all would go. But I could see 1-2 of them released because we replaced them and then used that money for the wave of free agency after the draft to try to fill something we couldn't draft, and/or June cuts. At the very least given the contracts of Colledge and Snyder it would help set up cap space in 2014. But we still could probably sign one guy to a small 1-1.5 million contract with the space provided this year. I don't know the way they go, but I could see either as a possibility.

1st round
Warmack/Cooper

2nd round
Warford/Thomas/Long (all as guards)

IF a tackle like Fluker dropped my decision would be between Warford/Fluker.

I would consider taking a Schwenke or Jones here if the above are gone and thus a lineman run had occurred.

Note: This is not taking safety into the equation. But I would maybe opt to wait until the third round for a center, and take the safety, as I've been targeting 3rd or 4th round for our center.

3rd round
Dallas Thomas/Schwenke/Jones/Armstead

At this point I'd also consider taking Menelik Watson if he's still on the board.

4th round
Travis Frederick (as a guard, as a center behind Quessenberry)/Quessenberry//Brennan Williams/Justin Pugh.

The 4th linemen I'd potentially draft I'd wait until late and see if anyone drops. We have other needs so if we draft from those above guys and get three of them, I'm ok with not getting any more. Though if any of the above are still there in the 5th I would take them. But at this point if we haven't drafted an OLB, I'd be looking there first, then at RB or TE. A burner WR would be nice. We can skip a QB this year, or look for a Renfree in the 6th. Though others seem to think some of the injured LB's could be had this low as well.

So maybe a Stefan Taylor or Christine Michael in the 5th. If we were to go later than a Gillisee or Stefphon Jefferson. I think we could benefit with a low round RB, since the league seems to have prioritized the position in the draft less. If Kenjon Barner is there in the 6th or definitely 7th, and we haven't taken a back, then I'd consider him.

Marquise Goodwin or Denard Robinson as receivers in the 5th or 6th. Doubtful they are there.

I've been focusing more on the linemen as this should be our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd concern and have had less time to devote to researching due to pressure washing the roof, plugging leaks with about 11 cans of this so far

http://www.lowes.com/pd_139933-29-5...c&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=elastomeric&facetInfo=

have another 9 cans, mesh, not to mention installing window air conditioners (cutting 2 inch plastic foam [i guess styrofoam]and sealing it), and all sorts of other crap.

But yeah to return to the question

I'd ideally see

draft pick (from above pool)
draft pick
draft pick
levi
Massie
Snyder
Potter
Kelemete

So that's 8.

Then I'd let the rest of the guys battle it out

I would go into the season looking on paper that Levi is our LT, Warmack/Cooper our LG, Schwenke/Jones/Snyder at center, RG Warford/Thomas/Snyder/Colledge, and Massie as our RT.

I'd obviously like to see how they are in preseason and be prepared to take some licks early in the season as it's the end of the season and 2014 that matter more than the first half of the season. If they look lost then we have last year's starters (or someone who did start) to step in at center and rg.

It's way too early to prognosticate who starts and who goes, because it does all depends on who we actually draft. Maybe Lyle stays, maybe he goes. Maybe Colledge stays, maybe he goes.

As for the lower guys. Again it depends on what we draft. If we don't get a center, then guys like Wedige and Lyle have better shots.

Basically our viewpoints differ in where we start the coaching up process. I think we need to start coaching up some high draft picks out of a loaded ol draft. Again if we don't draft these guys, someone else will, and while we're trying to coach up castoffs, they'll be coaching up talent. Practice squad should be used accordingly to those who are still eligible.

I simply believe we need to make major investments in this draft, and still be prepared to demote or jettison some of the guys that may start even this year by drafting high more again next year. We need to be adding good OL talent faster then we are and have to make sure we stay ahead of the curve for injuries, age, salary, and potential draft busts. That means major investments, roster spots for them instead of cast offs, and utilizing this draft as the catalyst since this is the year to do it and may not come again in Arians or perhaps the next two or three coaches tenure. Maybe it does. But when you see this sort of talent, you grab it. We can draft tackles in the first or 2nd round any year, but this is the year we can get the talent to potentially rebuild all three of our interior line positions and included in that potentially the best guard in the last decade.

Something like that. Overall I'm not trying to predict. I'm trying to focus on what's the best way to get the line better given the situation.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
1st round
Warmack/Cooper - I'd like to see them trade down some and make this happen. Either one.

2nd round
Warford/Thomas/Long (all as guards) - Pugh might be available and should be the highest rated IL on the board. He can also play T if need be. Warford might not be a scheme fit for what they're trying to do, but he's a nasty run blocker and that ain't bad. He could even drop to the 3rd Rd.

IF a tackle like Fluker dropped my decision would be between Warford/Fluker.

I would consider taking a Schwenke or Jones here if the above are gone and thus a lineman run had occurred.

Note: This is not taking safety into the equation. But I would maybe opt to wait until the third round for a center, and take the safety, as I've been targeting 3rd or 4th round for our center.

3rd round
Dallas Thomas/Schwenke/Jones/Armstead

At this point I'd also consider taking Menelik Watson if he's still on the board.

4th round
Travis Frederick (as a guard, as a center behind Quessenberry)/Quessenberry//Brennan Williams/Justin Pugh. - Pugh as I said is a 2nd Rd. pick at this point. Brian Winters who should be decent is a 4th Rd. prospect.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
In a recent interview with BA, he said he needed to get 2 offensive and 2 defensive linemen plus a WR that runs a 4.2 in this draft. I expect the Cardinals to do that. Start with Warmack and go from there.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I think Wiz' main flaw and probably what got him fired was his loyalty to Grimm.

Grimm had success in Pittsburgh and head coaching interviews off of that tenure because of the talent he was given in Pittsburgh.

Grimm is NOT a good coach. I am not saying that, not in the least.

But, talent is talent, and that was proved in Pittsburgh while he was there. It was the talent that got them to SuperBowls.

The difference in the desert is talent. The Cardinals don't have any.

The Cardinals need to heavily invest because they were stupid in the past and neglected the position and were beyond, horrifically awful in free agency with their evaluation of talent in the NFL.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Now, what do you want the Cardinals to do? Draft and start 2-3 rookies?

I have admittedly started looking at Rotoworld, which can be pure speculation and rumor, but where there is smoke there is fire. One rumor read was if the Cardinals draft offensive linemen we can see Adam Snyder be cut, and treated as a June 1st cut, which lessens the blow. There is already one roster spot open for the offensive line, cutting Snyder opens another spot.

There is no doubt the Cardinals are stuck with some bad contracts, but that is the point. These are bad players that are going to have to play.

As I stated, I will be more than happy IF the Cardinals address the line and do so at least twice, during this draft. It is not madness to want to pick more than 1 offensive linemen in a deep, deep offensive linemen class. In my opinion if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, ITS A DUCK!

Keep it simple stupid. Just take what the draft has to offer, and don't force it, or be too cute about it. Get the best player that will help this team win.

Then, ok, you draft let's say Johnson and start him at LT, so you move Levi Brown to RT and Bobby Massie to RG, now you are virtually starting two rookies---or Massie gets beat out by Adam Snyder and now last year's 4th round draft pick and full-time starter is relegated to the bench.

Yeah, well I agree with you there. That is why you pick Warmack. He will be there. I guarantee 6 teams will talk themselves out of the pick, and justify passing on him, using stupid naive rules of thumb.

Just pick the guy, and JUST LIKE MASSIE, who "could ONLY be a RT" we will gladly put him at guard, and watch him be "only a guard" and play well just like Massie did.

Dumbest thing I heard, and witnessed last year was the justifications for letting Massie fall in the draft. He was "just a RT". Stupid. He is a really good player, who in his ROOKIE season, (not his 4th like Brown) had a really impressive showing. 0 sacks. I don't think Levi Brown let up 0 sacks at RT as a rookie. Just how we feel kinda silly for passing on Russel Wilson for Jamel Flemming in hindsight, I bet there are a lot of team that would be THRILLED to have Bobby Massie as their RT.

Moving him inside to guard is nonsense, and worrying about the versatility of your starters is madness. It is nice if one of your guards can play tackle, but Massie is playing RT or in the worst case scenario LT. Why on earth put him at guard ? Makes no sense.

You wanna sell me this coaching staff, improve Massie's run blocking. That will make me happy.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

All I ask for is 2 choices in the draft, and the standard 8 roster spots.

1-Levi Brown
2-Bobby Massie
3-Lyle Sendlein
4-Nate Potter
5-Daryn Colledge/[Draft Pick]
6-Adam Snyder/[Draft Pick]
7-Senio Kelemete/Draft Pick]
8-[What one would hope is Chance Warmack]

The Cardinals can cut Colledge, or Snyder after June 1st and it will not effect this year's cap for the worse. It will put dead money on next year's cap. But, the last I heard, the mantra is they want to win now, so best players on the grass right ?

If I had my way, I would be happy with:

RG: Chance Warmack
------------------------------
OT: Nate Potter
OG: Senio Kelemete
OC: Barrett Jones/Brian Schwenke/Garrett Gilkey

Why? Cause Nate Potter showed he can, AT LEAST, hold the fort ala Levi Brown last year. Massie has a lot of promise, and if he can improve his run game, he is a steal for the Cardinals, IMO.

Start Chance Warmack at RG, and move him to LG next season.

Kelemete can be groomed to be the RG, "penciled in as the starter".

If Jones (my biggest risk pick) can reach his potential then he can either take over for Sendlein or compete for the RG position.

Though I really, like Garrett Gilkey in round 5. He is a good athlete, and I think he is a good guy to put at the end of the line and groom to be at LEAST a utility lineman.

I don't think that is asking for much, or being too radical with a plan like this.

Now if the Cardinals pick Fischer? I would be surprised, very surprised, to see them pick another lineman.

I would think if they picked Fischer it would be:

1-OT
2-OLB
3-S/TE/RB
4-S/TE/RB
5-S/TE/RB
6-BPA
7-BPA

and I think it would be a mistake, personally. Not because I think Fischer is not a good prospect, because he is, no, I don't like it because you are looking for skill guys when the problem is the power aspect. The line of scrimmage. I have no idea why we would draft a RB, and there are just a few TE's that are even worth the pick, IMO.

Get a OLBer in 2nd if possible, a safety too. Then right back to the offensive line. Afterwards, just BPA the rest of the way. That is the game plan I think that give this team the greatest chance to improve.

Last edited:

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cards drafted 3 Olineman last year and two of them have proven they should be on an NFL roster. In fact Massie looks like the long term answer at RT. Potter looks like at worst a very serviceable and versatile back up. Kelemente looks to be a solid back up as well.

Anyone wanting us to draft more than 2 Olinemen this year is going all knee jerk reaction.

While Levi and Sendlein may not be pro bowl players they have also proven they belong on an NFL roster.

So now we get to College and Snyder who were both starting on playoff teams before coming here. Maybe they were the worst players on their teams but they were still starting for playoff teams. So yes they have proven they belong in the NFL.

There are plenty of teams that have mid round draft picks on the Oline and those lines are good to great. Some of the reasons why are continuity and coaching. Instead of turning the roster over on this unit let's bring one or two players in and make the easy smart cuts with the UDFA's.

We will have 3 Olinemen up for contract renewal in 3 years. Draft 2 more this year and now that's 4 or 5 in a 2 year period. This just means that we either get CAP constrained or have to invest heavily in the Oline draft wise every 3 to 4 years.

If we take a LT in rd 1 then yes look for an OG in rd 3 or later. If we take an OG in rd 1 then consider us done with the Oline for this year.

I WANT A PASS RUSHER.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
75 Brown, Levi (LT, 6-6, 324, 29, 6): Could absolutely flourish in the new system. Has greatly improved his pass pro, while remaining a mauler in the running game. Unlike in the last system, if he needs help with a difficult matchup, he will get it. BA will line up a TE to his side in that situation.

Projection: Starting LT.

71 Colledge, Daryn (LG, 6-4, 308, 31, 7): The new system fits him perfectly as well. The return of Levi Brown to LT makes a huge difference, and stabilizes the left side of the line. Switches on TEX stunts will be made faster and more decisively this year. Will get a good push in the running game on zone blocks and down blocks. If he gets in tip-top shape this could be his best year as a pro.

Projection: Starting LG.

69 Gibson, Mike (G/C, 6-4, 305, 27, 4): Late season pickup last year who started 8 games and 1 playoff game at RG for the Seahawks in Pete Carroll's first year. Has bounced around since. Gets good leverage, but has shorter than desired arms, and has trouble with counter moves. If he improves in that area, he could be a valuable, versatile backup.

Projection: Roster bubble.

64 Kelemete, Senio (G, 6-4, 301, 22, 1): Played reasonably well for a first ever start at RG versus SF in Week 17. Fits the new system well because he's quick off the ball and can get to trap blocks in a hurry. He gets to the second level quickly but now needs to improve his blocking techniques so that he can finish off plays. His pad level is good, but he needs to develop a stronger base and more effective hand placements.

Projection: Backup G who could wind up starting sometime this year or next.

70 Massie, Bobby (RT, 6-6, 316, 23, 1): After the dramatic improvement he showed during the second half of last season, it's hard to believe anyone would want to move him out of RT. He's long and athletic---whose one real flaw is a tendency to play too high, which he corrected quite significantly the last 8 games---he's a natural fit at the position. This year he needs to get stronger in the running game---a year in the weight-room and improved teaching from the coaches should help him in this regard.

Projection: Starting RT.

76 Potter, Nate (T/G, 6-6,300, 24, 1): Amazing to think of how he helped to settle the line down the second half of last year, especially seeing as he was hardly used in 5 pre-season games. Developed a solid approach to edge blocking---fans out well, uses good hand placement, rides well, but like most tackles, needs to adjust quicker and with greater balance on double moves and stunts. Needs to add strength to improve in the running game. Few young tackles enter the NFL and thrive right away in the running game. He and Bobby Massie should get better and better at it each year.

Projection: Backup T and G with chance to start at either at some point, possibly even at guard right away.

63 Sendelin, Lyle (C, 6-3, 308, 29, 6): Returns to the pivot after injury shortened season, first of his career. Smart player who makes good pre-snap adjustments and calls. Solid is pass pro---but needs to step up in the running game. Struggles most when a NT is lined head up on him.

Projection: Backup C, possible Roster Bubble.

68 Snyder, Adam (C/G, 6-6, 325, 31, 8): Slid down from RG to C at the end of the year and played his best football at C. Was nursing a painful and limiting elbow injury all year---probably shouldn't have been playing, but the lack of depth and confidence in the depth made the coaches want to stick with him. Classic type of center for the new system---is a very good down blocker, can stack up and neutralize a NT, and can pull and trap when asked to. Needs to react quicker to inside stunts---that's his biggest issue. The coaching should be a real help there.

Projection: Starting C.

65 Warren, Jeremiah (G, 6-4, 320, 25,1): Late season pickup from the Patriots' PS. Mauler in the running game---raw and unrefined in the passing game. Needs coaching and time. Might get it this year.

Projection: Roster Bubble, likely PS player.

66 Wedige, Scott (C, 6-4, 310, 24, 1): Re-signed late in the year. Had an up and down pre-season adjusting to the NFL game. Looks the part, however. Has good technique---can play with leverage---needs to get stronger in the legs and lower body.

Projection: Roster Bubble, possible PS player.

Additions:

1. If there is a way to sign RG Brandon Moore to a 2-3 year contract, this line is ready to roll. With Levi Brown back at LT, RG is weak link. Moore's veteran leadership would galvanize this line as well. It would also mean that the Cardinals, having used 3 draft picks last year and 1 free agent signing, could address other need areas early in the draft.

2. Potter, Kelemete, Warren and Wedige offer good potential---so the Cardinals shouldn't over-draft at their positions.

3. The players in the draft who could step in at RG:

Chance Warmack, 6-3, 320, Alabama: mauler at the point of attack, excellent push player---lacks technique and quickness on traps and pulls. Good strong base in pass pro.

Jonathan Cooper, 6-3, 315, North Carolina: excellent puller and trapper who lacks head to head strength at the point of attack---gets knocked backward too often, because he plays too high and lacks ideal lower body strength.

Sleepers:

Dallas Thomas, 6-5, 308, Tennessee
Justin Pugh, 6-5, 305, Syracuse
Kyle Long, 6-6, 304, Oregon
David Quessenberry, 6-5, 294, San Jose St.
Hugh Thornton, 6-4, 310, Illinois
Brian Winters, 6-4, 310, Kent St.
Alvin Bailey, 6-4, 315, Arkansas

Not sure if any of these players, most of whom will be converting from the tackle position in college to NFL guard, can step in and start right away.

Best Case Options in Order of Preference:

1. Sign RG Brandon Moore.
2. Sign Tyson Clabo and move him to RG where he could be dominant.
3. Draft Chance Warmack.

For Winning Now:

A veteran at RG next to RT Bobby Massie would be ideal.

This OL looks a little under sized by NFL standards does it not?