Thoughts on the Cincinnati Loss

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I remember watching Eli Manning scrambling back in the pocket and launching passes off his back foot against the Cowboys. Those passes led to several big plays which is why you leave a blitzer free. Brees gets rid of the ball so quickly that he normally doesn't take many shots, but the Saints also let blitzers run free which allows them to send a maximum amount of receivers into the secondary. The Saints run a pretty similar offense to what we do (the exception being their screen game and use of the TE) but the difference is in who is running their offense and what he allows them to do. If you watch our playoff footage in 2008 and the Saints games, they are very similar in scheme and concepts.

It's not just sacks it's QB hits and knockdowns, as well. The Cards under Whis with Warber have been well ahead of the league in these areas. That might be some OL talent, but now fully.

And as Duck said, it's not just on big blitzes that guys are running free in our backfield. It's four-man rushes. You don't see that with Tom Brady and Phil Rivers under center. You don't see it when WE are on defense. That's a clue that it's more us than what teams are trying to do to us.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It's not just sacks it's QB hits and knockdowns, as well. The Cards under Whis with Warber have been well ahead of the league in these areas. That might be some OL talent, but now fully.

And as Duck said, it's not just on big blitzes that guys are running free in our backfield. It's four-man rushes. You don't see that with Tom Brady and Phil Rivers under center. You don't see it when WE are on defense. That's a clue that it's more us than what teams are trying to do to us.

Free rushers in a four man rush isn't scheme, it is poor blocking or poor line calls by the QB. I would venture that both are to blame with our team.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Free rushers in a four man rush isn't scheme, it is poor blocking or poor line calls by the QB. I would venture that both are to blame with our team.

Well that's exactly what we were talking about. It's just mystifying why our OTs block down and totally ignore the guy on the outside. And it is all 3 of them that do it, Brown,Keith and Bridges. It's been going on for years.

I do think CKW's offense, like others in the NFL, tries to utilize a lot of misdirection or influence plays. Where they try to trick a defender into in effect blocking himself by buying the misdirection looks given by the Cards blockers.

I have an old board game called NFL Strategy (so old I think 40 year invented it). Great game for its time where they based results on probabilities. It had cards with NFL plays for the offense. One of them was a misdirection and the description was "if the lb doesn't buy the fake our RB will get killed." I see a lot of those type plays from Arizona. Sometimes they work but more often than not they don't.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05