Thunder vs Spurs WCF

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
those teams having championship experience alone made those tougher matchups IMO

The Lakers roster was much different in 2012 than their recent championship teams. In today's back court dominated NBA, having a below average starting point guard and a lack of speed on the wings trumps the Lakers inside strength. Why did Denver, with very little front court talent, almost take them out in Round 1?

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Lakers roster was much different in 2012 than their recent championship teams. In today's back court dominated NBA, having a below average starting point guard and a lack of speed on the wings trumps the Lakers inside strength. Why did Denver, with very little front court talent, almost take them out in Round 1?

a) the Lakers big 3 was still intact from their two-time title run and they still had 4 of their starting 5 from their last title. The core of that team has remained together for three seasons. And I'm not sure Denver had very little front court talent. Javal McGee is incredibly inconsistent, but he's got a load of talent and Faried's an animal. But the reason the Lakers struggled in that series is the same reason they always struggle... even during their heyday... quick young PGs destroy them. I mean... that Rockets team without Yao/McGrady took them 7 during their title run mostly on the strength of Aaron Brooks going nuts. The Lakers achilles heel has always been below average starting PG with Fisher and a lack of speed on the wings.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here is what I found on our 2007 series loss to Spurs. May I say, I hate MDA?:bang:

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/43774/nba-today-jalen-rose-luc-richard-mbah-a-moute

Ouch... what a brutal read. That might have ruined my night. That series in 07 will occasionally pop into my head and really sour my mood.

Dont let JustWinBaby see that, he still loves ol Mike D.

He was an aaaaaaaaaaaawful coach. He brought in a good system for offense and once Nash mastered it D'antoni became utterly useless. He couldnt develop his bench, develop youth, he was hopeless at making adjustments and got embarrassed by the better coaches of the league.

He should thank Nash every day for the ~30 million the Knicks paid him, because without Nash Mike is a well below 40% winning coach.

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score
Winning 18 straight is pure luck and the Spurs are old and boring. Diaw is fat, Blair is short, Bonner has red hair, Parker is french, Duncan is both old and boring, Leonard is a stupid rookie, Splitter sucks and will never play in the nba, Neal is a rapist, James Anderson is a bust, Stephen Jackson is a quitter, Pop is an alcoholic, Mills is australian and has a funny accent, Green is green. Thank God for this guy, he might help us score a point or two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOStzrXH_es&feature=related

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Spurs and it won't be close. They may not even have to take off their warmups.

Steve

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Winning 18 straight is pure luck and the Spurs are old and boring. Diaw is fat, Blair is short, Bonner has red hair, Parker is french, Duncan is both old and boring, Leonard is a stupid rookie, Splitter sucks and will never play in the nba, Neal is a rapist, James Anderson is a bust, Stephen Jackson is a quitter, Pop is an alcoholic, Mills is australian and has a funny accent, Green is green. Thank God for this guy, he might help us score a point or two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOStzrXH_es&feature=related

yeesh... someone's a little touchy, aren't they?

has ANYONE said anything close to the above? The majority of the people here have said the Spurs have been a machine and expect them to win and even the people picking the thunder are saying it'll be a great series.

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score
Ouch... what a brutal read. That might have ruined my night. That series in 07 will occasionally pop into my head and really sour my mood.

Dont let JustWinBaby see that, he still loves ol Mike D.

He was an aaaaaaaaaaaawful coach. He brought in a good system for offense and once Nash mastered it D'antoni became utterly useless. He couldnt develop his bench, develop youth, he was hopeless at making adjustments and got embarrassed by the better coaches of the league.

He should thank Nash every day for the ~30 million the Knicks paid him, because without Nash Mike is a well below 40% winning coach.

Yep, it is always brutal reading or hearing Jalen Rose. He is somone that I would not conisder a genius. Sounds more like sour grapes than anything.

Carlilse, while a very good coach is not great by any stretch. He had loaded teams in Detroit and Indiana prior to Dallas. A miraculous playoff run by Dirk and company got him his first ring. I am glad for him but would not put him in the hall of fame, just yet.

I never remember Jalen Rose or Reggie Miller winning DPOY while playing for Carlise. Maybe if they would have been better on that end of the court Carlilse might have won one in Indiana. Sometime it helps to have guys like Chandler, The Matrix and Kidd on your team. They play defense no matter who is coaching.

How many rings did Jalen win in Indiana?
How many more years did Jalen play in the league after he sat on the bench in Phoenix?
How many times has Nash made the playoffs since D'Antoni left town?

It truly is amazing how you continually pick on people that made basketball fun to watch while winning a butt load of games for this franchise. This does not mean that either Mike and STAT were as good as they could have been. But they certainly were not as bad as many make them out to be.

It is amazing how Nash gets all of the credit for wins and none of the blame for the losses. He has the same number of rings as both Amare and Mike -ZERO. Since both Amare and Mike left you would think we would have become a better team based on your thoughts, WTF happened. I guess there are worse players and coaches in this league.

You should really enjoy the upcoming seasons, watching Suns basketball. You won't have to watch Amare play and D'Antoni coach.

You must be in heaven

By the way your 40% winning percentage for Mike probably is accurate but about as unfair as any statement every made. That probably is his combined record in Denver with nothing to work with, in Phoenix prior to Nash coaching a team in total rebuild mode and in New York when the goal was to dump salary/players to clear cap space for 2010 off season.

Keep twisting the facts to make your case, that is what you do, and enjoy Suns basketball. It is going to be fantastic without those guys.

Enjoy

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yep, it is always brutal reading or hearing Jalen Rose. He is somone that I would not conisder a genius. Sounds more like sour grapes than anything.

Carlilse, while a very good coach is not great by any stretch. He had loaded teams in Detroit and Indiana prior to Dallas. A miraculous playoff run by Dirk and company got him his first ring. I am glad for him but would not put him in the hall of fame, just yet.

I never remember Jalen Rose or Reggie Miller winning DPOY while playing for Carlise. Maybe if they would have been better on that end of the court Carlilse might have won one in Indiana. Sometime it helps to have guys like Chandler, The Matrix and Kidd on your team. They play defense no matter who is coaching.

How many rings did Jalen win in Indiana?
How many more years did Jalen play in the league after he sat on the bench in Phoenix?
How many times has Nash made the playoffs since D'Antoni left town?

It truly is amazing how you continually pick on people that made basketball fun to watch while winning a butt load of games for this franchise. This does not mean that either Mike and STAT were as good as they could have been. But they certainly were not as bad as many make them out to be.

It is amazing how Nash gets all of the credit for wins and none of the blame for the losses. He has the same number of rings as both Amare and Mike -ZERO. Since both Amare and Mike left you would think we would have become a better team based on your thoughts, WTF happened. I guess there are worse players and coaches in this league.

You should really enjoy the upcoming seasons, watching Suns basketball. You won't have to watch Amare play and D'Antoni coach.

You must be in heaven

By the way your 40% winning percentage for Mike probably is accurate but about as unfair as any statement every made. That probably is his combined record in Denver with nothing to work with, in Phoenix prior to Nash coaching a team in total rebuild mode and in New York when the goal was to dump salary/players to clear cap space for 2010 off season.

Keep twisting the facts to make your case, that is what you do, and enjoy Suns basketball. It is going to be fantastic without those guys.

Enjoy

It also includes a 4-13 record as the Suns coach when Nash wasnt playing.

I am not happy with a lot of the moves the team has made. I dont think anyone is thrilled with the current roster. But would the team be better with Mike? Extremely doubtful. Would they be in a better position with a cap crippling and crippled Amare on the roster? Absolutely not.

Mike has done nothing but suck without Nash. The Knicks were on the verge of missing the playoffs this year while he was there. They can him and replace him with a putz like Mike Woodson and dramatically improved.

And if you think Mike D'Antoni could have done what Gentry did with the 2010 roster then you didnt pay much attention during the D'Antoni era.

And finally, the Suns are due for a some rough years, but how about YOU go watch Mike D and Amare. Tell me how the next few years workout for them. Maybe Mike can get a job in Italy and maybe Amare can... do the Knicks a mercy and retire.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Carlilse, while a very good coach is not great by any stretch. He had loaded teams in Detroit and Indiana prior to Dallas.

LOL... who in their right mind would call his Detroit teams loaded? Care to tell me why you think that was the case? Or even Indiana after that? It's second best player was Ron Artest. Both of those teams constantly over-achieved.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
LOL... who in their right mind would call his Detroit teams loaded? Care to tell me why you think that was the case? Or even Indiana after that? It's second best player was Ron Artest. Both of those teams constantly over-achieved.

Pistons had a worse record with Larry Brown following Carlisle's departure up until being gifted Rasheed.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Spurs are old, slow, and boring. The Thunder are way too fast and athletic for the Spurs to handle an entire series. Thunder win in 5.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
These must be the same refs in the Phx/Spurs series a couple years ago. The refs should at least attempt to make it less obvious that they want the Spurs to get every single call -- pretty pathetic.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score

Are you saying Jalen Rose fabricated this story because he was upset he didn't get more playing time in that season with the Suns?

I do have to say, I have always wanted to ask him about game 5 of that series. Amare and Diaw get suspended and D'antoni plays 6 guys the whole game. While they did almost pull out the win it seems silly that Nash, Marion and Bell played all but 2 minutes of the entire game.

http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=270516021

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Very exciting first game, and if you're a degenerate gambler then it was extremely exciting. I had OKC to cover (+5.5) and the under, and during the last minute the cover was swinging wildly back and forth and Harden hits that garbage 3 to cover at the buzzer.

Brilliant stuff. If he had not hit that 3 then the gambling world would have been up in arms after OKC loses by 6 and the officials botched that shoulda-been 3pt shot by Fisher.

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score
Why are all the spurs three pointer shooters wide open? :pullhair:
Guard somebody OKC!

Not all are open but someone will be open sooner or later and then he gets the ball and shoots it.

Great win. Props to OKC for fighting hard. The next two games will be really tough and the winning streak could come to an end.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's just what they do. If you guard outside they will carve up the interior.

Yep I am hoping Brooks finally learned something late in game 2 about playing Perkins so much. Had him in over Ibaka in game 1 and with Ibaka in game 2 he was getting killed on the pick and rolls.

It's bad enough when Parker can't miss, but with all those screens they're running Westbrook through, having a big who can't hedge or play the screen or the roll is absolutely killing them. He's a very good post defender, but SA isn't posting him up, they're abusing him by making him move.

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score
OKC played great and the Spurs played like **** and sometimes seemed like they were not that interested. Pop giving up early too. I hope Pops adjustment to Brooks adjustment will be something different than what he did in this game (some crazy stuff).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05