conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
The Little, Tillman sagas demonstrate the value of life
By Bryan Burwell
Of the Post-Dispatch
04/24/2004

Sports Columnist Bryan Burwell

The sobering realities of everyday life can sometimes seem like so many disconnected satellites spinning madly on their separate orbits. Something happens half a world away, and it has no connection with some isolated madness way over here. Or so it seems.

Yet every so often, the satellites intersect. Whether through irony, providence or a staggering sense of the absurd, seemingly unconnected events are linked. And so it was on Saturday, where the lives of two men named Pat Tillman and Leonard Little intersected in a most unusual way.

Half a world away, Tillman, who ditched the life of an NFL millionaire two years ago to become a U.S. Army Ranger, was killed in a bitter firefight near some desolate village in Afghanistan. It was on Friday that we learned that the former Arizona Cardinal safety, who almost signed with the Rams in 2001, had died.

Less than 12 hours later - and barely six years after pleading guilty to involuntary manslaughter in a 1998 fatal accident in which he was driving drunk - Little, the Rams Pro Bowl defensive end, was arrested early Saturday morning on suspicion of driving while intoxicated on a near-empty stretch of Route 64-40 in suburban St. Louis.

Two events transpire several continents away, and they have no connection. Or so it seems.

Yet now we can't help but realize there is a connection, a link based on the staggering absurdity of their differences. Pat Tillman's tragic death will forever serve as a sobering reminder of his ultimate respect for the importance of life and freedom. By comparison, Leonard Little's repeatedly tragic life is beginning to serve as the stereotypical example of someone who has no appreciation for either life or freedom.

Of course a man is still considered innocent until proven guilty, but the voice of public opinion already has tried and convicted Little of monumental stupidity, at the very least but probably a whole lot more.

"At least he didn't kill anybody this time," Bill Gutweiler said.

Gutweiler's wife Susan was killed in June 1998 when Little's vehicle crashed into her car in downtown St. Louis. Little was suspended by the NFL for the first eight games of the 1999 season after pleading guilty to involuntary manslaughter, and sentenced to 90 days in the city workhouse and four years' probation, and ordered to perform 1,000 hours of community service.

Why Little seemingly hasn't learned sufficient lessons from the death of Susan Gutweiler and the second chance at life he was given by the local courts is something that is nearly impossible to conceive. He's innocent until proven guilty, but it's hard to understand how he could end up standing there on the shoulder of a highway with the bright police spotlights glaring in his face, and cops asking him to take a breathalyzer test.

Little made a terrible mistake six years ago that cost a wife and mother her life. He was given a second chance that Susan Gutweiler never received. How could he have no little sense of the danger he was putting himself in? How could he not remember Susan Gutweiler or all those miserable, frightening months when he was sure that they were going to throw the book at him?

Leonard Little is not a bad person. But he can not use that as a shield anymore. If he is found guilty, there is no judge in this state that will be lenient to him. There is no jury that will give him the benefit of the doubt. The Rams have to know this, too, and privately they have to know that the public relations hit they will absorb if they stand by him in the aftermath of another guilty plea or verdict will be nearly impossible to handle.

Little should have thought about all of this Saturday morning before he got in his vehicle.

The value of his life, and all the potential lives on that long stretch of open highway should have been on his mind Saturday morning.

The value of life was something Pat Tillman understood. He was willing to give his life to preserve our freedom. In his death, Tillman serves as the public face of the American soldier. But I also have seen the not-so-public face of the American soldier, and we need to know them, too.

Saturday afternoon at Lambert Airport, just outside the maze of security gates on the main concourse, a tall, skinny young man with a tight crew cut is saying goodbye to his family. On his shoulder is a garment bag with the U.S. Army logo on it. His clear-shaven, young face is the not-so-public face of the American soldier.

His father offers a firm farewell handshake. His mother hugs him. A little girl, maybe 3 years old, kisses the American soldier.

The father and mother stand at the security gate and watch the young man through the glass and metal partitions and metal detectors. They stand there until they can no longer see him. There are no tears. But they linger for a long time.

"It's strange, very strange," said the father, who did not want to be interviewed. "It's strange watching your son leave home. It's strange not knowing when or if they will call him to war."

Then the family walks away, past the stores, past the snack shops, and shoeshine stands. Just before they reach the exit doors to the parking lot, they pass the glass doors that open to the James S. McDonnell USO at Lambert Airport.

Inside the door hangs a framed poem, an ode to fighting men like their son, like the late Pat Tillman.

IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN THE SOLDIER

It is the soldier
Not the reporter,
Who has given us
freedom of the press
It is the soldier
Not the poet
Who has given us
the freedom of speech
It is the soldier
Not the campus organizer
Who has given us
freedom to demonstrate
It is the soldier
Who salutes the flag
Who serves beneath the flag
And whose coffin
is draped by the flag
Who allows the protester
to burn the flag

The sobering realities of life do intersect sometimes. Life is important. Pat Tillman and all those faceless young soldiers know the value of life and paid the ultimate price.

It's about time Leonard Little learns the lesson.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't like people trying to tie everything into Tillman. Let him rest in peace and don't be trying to bring him into every story.

Let me get this right Little drove drunk and killed someone. He just drove drunk again. This guy should go to jail for at least a year maybe longer. And lose his liscence for life. He should have gone to jail the first time.

Driving drunk is like getting a loaded pistol and shooting bullets into a city street just for fun -if you shoot someone if you were not trying to are they going to let you off the hook.

And being drunk is not an excuse. Is being drunk an excuse if you rob a bank or rape a woman. NO.

Drunk driving is a truly contemptible and underrated CRIME.

Last edited:

CaliCards

Registered
Reaction score
conraddobler said:
The Little, Tillman sagas demonstrate the value of life
By Bryan Burwell

"Why Little seemingly hasn't learned sufficient lessons from the death of Susan Gutweiler and the second chance at life he was given by the local courts is something that is nearly impossible to conceive. He's innocent until proven guilty, but it's hard to understand how he could end up standing there on the shoulder of a highway with the bright police spotlights glaring in his face, and cops asking him to take a breathalyzer test."

"Leonard Little is not a bad person. But he can not use that as a shield anymore. ........................."

"The value of life was something Pat Tillman understood. He was willing to give his life to preserve our freedom. In his death, Tillman serves as the public face of the American soldier. But I also have seen the not-so-public face of the American soldier, and we need to know them, too."

"The sobering realities of life do intersect sometimes. Life is important. Pat Tillman and all those faceless young soldiers know the value of life and paid the ultimate price."

"It's about time Leonard Little learns the lesson."

This is piss poor journalism. Mixing apples and oranges. Sensationalism at its best--using the example of the obviously tragic life of an alcoholic and a soldier killed in combat. Why, because they both played in the NFL?

I suppose there is a moral lesson for readers to learn here, but what is it?

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
CaliCards said:
This is piss poor journalism. Mixing apples and oranges. Sensationalism at its best--using the example of the obviously tragic life of an alcoholic and a soldier killed in combat. Why, because they both played in the NFL?

The lesson is don't mix two stories that have nothing to do with each other.

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
CaliCards said:

The lesson is:

That you live your life for the betterment of yourself and those around you. As apposed to being a self centered a**hole that thinks he can (and did) get away with murder.

You're pretty dense if you can't learn something from this.

Let me get this right Little drove drunk and killed someone. He just drove drunk again. This guy should go to jail for at least a year maybe longer. And lose his liscence for life.

Vikes Fan, You're a frickin ******. He already killed someone and now after being caught again you think a whole year and losing his license is enough!? Geezus, What would recomend for a serial killer? Five years and no desert after dinner?

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
AzCards21 said:
The lesson is:

That you live your life for the betterment of yourself and those around you. As apposed to being a self centered a**hole that thinks he can (and did) get away with murder.

Vikes Fan, You're a frickin ******. He already killed someone and now after being caught again you think a whole year and losing his license is enough!? Geezus, What would recomend for a serial killer? Five years and no desert after dinner?

Hey guess what I bet he doesn't spend even a year in jail and he won't lose his liscence for life either. :(

Last edited:

100%CardsFan

100% embarrassed
Reaction score
I dont even want to see Pat Tillmans name in the same sentance as Leonard Little. And I hate when they write that "Tillmans almost signed with the Rams" ..ummm there is no "Almost" about it. He said NO right off the bat. And vikes fan it is license not licsenesesese or whatever you wrote. ....Whew I think I need a beer.

CaliCards

Registered
Reaction score
AzCards21 said:
The lesson is:

Your reaction proves my point about journalistic sensationalism. That is, the use of lurid or exacrated matter by the writers/journalist to elisit a particular public reaction.

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
Hey guess what I bet he doesn't spend even a year in jail and he won't lose his liscence for life either. :(

And you think that's a good thing?

OP
OP
conraddobler

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
The journalist was just highlighting how bad Little is in comparison. I don't think it's that bad of an article when you consider it is from a St. Louis perspective.

No one from Arizona would or should write that article.

Didn't Mr. I want character guys try and sign this turd as a FA? It seems like we did try but I can't remember now.

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
CaliCards said:
Your reaction proves my point about journalistic sensationalism. That is, the use of lurid or exacrated matter by the writers/journalist to elisit a particular public reaction.

My reaction is the unrefutable fact that this human turd killed a wife and mother! And sadly paid no price for doing so.

Sentationalism my A**! I think you're a punk with some severly compromised morals for even defending this jerks life.

Let's ask Mr. Gutwieler if this is sensationalism or not.

What makes you think that anything this guy has done dreserves a third chance? He already used #1 and now #2 you're willing to just hand him. That brings us to infraction 3 and you want to give him that chance.

Screw that. Send him away forever. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. Fool me three times and I must be CaliCards.

At what point do you value a persons integrity beyond football?

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
AzCards21 said:
And you think that's a good thing?

How did you do in reading comprehension in school?

I even used a symbol to clue you in :(

Two things you might want to look into: Anger Management and ESL Courses.

CaliCards

Registered
Reaction score
AzCards21 said:
My reaction is the unrefutable fact that this human turd killed a wife and mother! And sadly paid no price for doing so.

Sentationalism my A**! I think you're a punk with some severly compromised morals for even defending this jerks life.

Let's ask Mr. Gutwieler if this is sensationalism or not.

What makes you think that anything this guy has done dreserves a third chance? He already used #1 and now #2 you're willing to just hand him. That brings us to infraction 3 and you want to give him that chance.

Screw that. Send him away forever. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. Fool me three times and I must be CaliCards.

At what point do you value a persons integrity beyond football?

See what I mean. True Cards fans want to celeberate the life of Tilman and also make room to mourn his death. So, if you want to be vile towards Little, shouldn't you be posting on the Rams board--dum ass.

:wtf: What a moron!!

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
How did you do in reading comprehension in school?

I even used a symbol to clue you in :(

Two things you might want to look into: Anger Management and ESL Courses.

Thanks for the symbol clue. I missed it. I will look into the Anger Management though.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
AzCards21 said:
Thanks for the symbol clue. I missed it. I will look into the Anger Management though.

Everybody's had a rough week.

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
AzCards21 said:
I will look into the Anger Management though.
Don't do it, it sucks. I had to do it for 2 hours a week for 10 weeks. Pure torture and I still have anger issues. :D

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
CaliCards said:
See what I mean. True Cards fans want to celeberate the life of Tilman and also make room to mourn his death. So, if you want to be vile towards Little, shouldn't you be posting on the Rams board--dum ass.

:wtf: What a moron!!

If you can't be vile towards Little who the he** can you be against? He represents everything that is wrong in both behaviour and sports favoritism.

True fans of human life and dignity and sacrifice and morals want to celebrate Tillmans life. Not only Cardinal fans.

WTF is the Rams board reference to? You're the one defending this prick!

You're a very young person. And I'll tell you why I know that.

Only a very young person who has not experienced true love for one woman, and I don't mean the Hoe's you try to score with every weekend, can't understand the devastation that Little put on this family.

He alone by his own decisions decided to drive and the result was killing a mother and wife. He made a decision for himself. He made it for others. Those others perished and I must tell you my feelings would never be "at least she was killed by an NFL player".

You obviously don't have a son that you are trying to teach the morals and meaning of life to.

If you do and still tell him what a role model Little is then you are pathetic.

Grow up little boy. You have a long way to go.

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
KingofCards said:
Don't do it, it sucks. I had to do it for 2 hours a week for 10 weeks. Pure torture and I still have anger issues. :D

I don't need it man. Anyone who dares to say what Tilly did is less honorable vs that cornholio Little is a ****.

My anger is firmly directed where it needs to be.

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
AzCards21 said:
I don't need it man. Anyone who dares to say what Tilly did is less honorable vs that cornholio Little is a ****.

My anger is firmly directed where it needs to be.
I know man. I hear you just trying to lighten the mood a bit. I'm with you on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser