Time to smack the bully in the nose

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We can say all we want now, but game 1 will be huge in deciding how this series goes down.
Unless Nash is hurting really bad (on top of Lopez absence) i like the Suns chances.
Although it would have been nice if Dallas had beaten the hated Spurs, but my second round match-up has always been the Spurs.
The Suns have one of the best home court record in the league this season and we all know how Mr Frye gets his shots going at home and this will be crucial.
The Suns have the best bench in the west (per Hollinger); 10 deep. Dragic and the rest guy seem to be adjusting well now to the post-season intensity. Hopefully Barbosa wont disappear or make dumb decision against the Spurs, since popabitch primary plan will be to take away the outside shooting, the Suns will need players who can create their own shots.
Spurs fans are discrediting the Suns win over Portland, claiming injuries have decimated the Blazers, true, but they are quick to forget this is the same team that beat LA at home without Roy and also beat OKC in a crucial playoff seeding match-up and yeah, they beat SA without Roy too. They were playing very well heading into the PO.
They have more athletic wings than SA and there front court play more physical and on top of that the Suns beat them at home (probably loudest arena in the league) twice.
It will be great if the Suns take the first 2 games at home but in this post- season they are capable of getting a win on the road.

I am stoked and cant wait for the series to start. Bring on the Spurs

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm with ya Colonel. LETS GO SUNS.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In general, I just assumed that Suns fans will never let this go. It's the ultimate excuse to put PHO actions on someone else, namely Stern.

You're right, we'll probably never let it go. An injustice occurred. I don't think Stern was out to get us but I do believe they made a serious error in the way they handled it. I recognize that Diaw, Amare and the bench coaches hold some responsibility here also.

My, obviously not neutral, opinion is that Horry wanted to make a play, but nothing nearly as emphatic as what happened. I also believe that Nash may have exaggerated the result, in order to get a call.

You lose any semblance of credibility with these two comments. Youtube the foul and watch the second view of the contact. Horry doesn't extend an arm, he merely tightens up the left side of his body and then hip/shoulder checks Nash into the table. He clearly makes no effort to make a play especially since at this point of the game there really isn't a play to make. And had that been a real basketball play there isn't a player on the planet that would immediately walk away as calmly as Robert did following the contact. He had a goal in mind and he accomplished that goal. Asserting anything else is disingenuous, IMO (okay, maybe it's simply rationalization).

Nash might have remained on the floor but a crowd almost immediately gathers so he (understandably) jumps up and joins the fray. He does nothing to exaggerate the body check other than fly through the air which is a function of physics not acting as you imply.

Steve

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I still remember the first time we played against this guy. We were fronting and fouling David Robinson just about every possession and the guy couldn't buy a call but Duncan went to the line every time we got within a few feet of him. I never understood the reason they mistreated Robinson so routinely.
I think it's the same reason the Suns have come out on the short end of the stick for decades.

If the refs perceive you as a "finesse" player (like the Admiral), you don't get the calls. Particularly in the post-season.

If you are aggressive (elbows like Karl Malone or whining like Tim Duncan), the refs are going to penalize the players who retaliate, not the ones who take the first shot.

Just like in business. Don't ask if you can break a rule. Do it . . . then put up a smokescreen.

P.S.: That's why I consider Elgin Baylor to be the best Power Forward in the history of the NBA. He came to play basketball.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Lorenzo, how much of the SA-DAL series did you watch?

Dirk was doubled about 3 quarters over 6 games. Pop allowed him to get his points, and make Kidd/Terry/RandomHotPlayer beat them. It worked. It's also the strategy he has often employed against STAT. Amare may get 40+ every game, but who cares if the Spurs win in 5?

And, please, can we drop the Nash bloody nose of 2007? He bonked his face on Parker's head. It wasn't a head-butt by Parker. Pop gave more time than the NBA allowed in order to stop the bleeding. It was an unfortunate thing, but it wasn't SA initiated, and not SA exploited.

In a general PHO-SA world, we can agree to disagree on the Horry hip-check and suspensions.

-edit
Gack! I forgot to mention how much I'll miss the D'Antonio scrunched up face during the series. Although I do love the fact that his best season in NYK may be 30 wins.
The first game in dallas he did not double dirk much. After that he doubled him more and more as the series went on...especially in the 2nd half of the games. manu broke his nose on a double team trying to sniff dirk's elbow for teeth. It would be tough to say how many quarters he did it, but he double dirk every game often after games 1 and 2 especially. Often pop was just mixing it up with early and late doubles to try and confuse him and the outside shooters. it worked because the mavericks outside shooters did not always shoot the ball with confidence.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
You're right, we'll probably never let it go. An injustice occurred. I don't think Stern was out to get us but I do believe they made a serious error in the way they handled it. I recognize that Diaw, Amare and the bench coaches hold some responsibility here also.

You lose any semblance of credibility with these two comments. Youtube the foul and watch the second view of the contact. Horry doesn't extend an arm, he merely tightens up the left side of his body and then hip/shoulder checks Nash into the table. He clearly makes no effort to make a play especially since at this point of the game there really isn't a play to make. And had that been a real basketball play there isn't a player on the planet that would immediately walk away as calmly as Robert did following the contact. He had a goal in mind and he accomplished that goal. Asserting anything else is disingenuous, IMO (okay, maybe it's simply rationalization).

Nash might have remained on the floor but a crowd almost immediately gathers so he (understandably) jumps up and joins the fray. He does nothing to exaggerate the body check other than fly through the air which is a function of physics not acting as you imply.

Steve
the whole thing was BS because horry was being a sore loser and clearly lost control. It's unfortunate that at that point in his career BIG SHOT BOB was not known for his basketball play, but his big shot on steve nash. If anything that hip check to nash was as devestating as a game winning shot because it helped decide the outcome of a game. and it's also unfortunate that the suns lost their composure in a game that was already in the books...raja bell should have let it go and horry would have been the only suspension. The momentum was on the suns side and the spurs would have been in deep trouble going back to phoenix. Anyone who thinks that amare and diaw not playing doesn't matter would be on crack...but we know there's only one sports team in SA so sometimes they have the same side-effects.

Having said that the suns should have taken care of business in game 6 if they were truly the better team and they got blown away in that game. A similiar thing happend to dallas in the finals when jerry stackhouse gets suspended a game for a flagrant foul on shaq....yet shaq gets a flagrant and gashes stackhouse's nose earlier in the series but doesn't get punished at all? However, I don't blame the mavericks series loss because of stack's ridiculous suspension...that was just one game. the nba playoffs is a 7 game series...the best team should always win period.

Last edited:

epb

Reaction score
So if stern is the reason for a Suns loss in '07...what's the for '03, '05 and '08?

Lorenzo

Reaction score
So if stern is the reason for a Suns loss in '07...what's the for '03, '05 and '08?
all of that doesn't matter now. if the spurs get past the suns, which may not happen this time, they are not getting past LA, Orlando, or cleveland. they will get dominated by those teams over a 7 game series.

epb

Reaction score
all of that doesn't matter now.

If none of that matters now then how come 90% of the talk on this site is devoted to how the suns were jobbed in '07 by Stern? Why is it that the pictures in the original post of this hype thread are a rehashing of the Spurs "bullying" the Suns? Are you sure that doesn't matter now, cause it seems to be all suns fan wants to talk about?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You really could try reading some of the posts rather than just guessing. The Spurs, by and large, have been a better team than the Suns the past several years. This year, it remains to be seen who is the better team and I suspect they'll try to decide that on the court without considering our on-line banter.

Defense is a premium during the post-season and San Antonio has been a much better defensive team than the Suns. We're hoping the gap has narrowed enough to allow our offense to carry the day. We'll see.

Steve

epb

Reaction score
You really could try reading some of the posts rather than just guessing. The Spurs, by and large, have been a better team than the Suns the past several years. This year, it remains to be seen who is the better team and I suspect they'll try to decide that on the court without considering our on-line banter.

Defense is a premium during the post-season and San Antonio has been a much better defensive team than the Suns. We're hoping the gap has narrowed enough to allow our offense to carry the day. We'll see.

Steve

Is Lopez good enough to guard Duncan without help? I'm talking about a "Dallas series game 1-3"-Tim Duncan...

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is Lopez good enough to guard Duncan without help? I'm talking about a "Dallas series game 1-3"-Tim Duncan...

Well, he's by far the best chance we have at guarding Tim without help. He's been out for quite awhile though and through most of that time he was unable to exercise at all so I doubt he'll be much of a factor. We have to hope that the Tim we face is the lesser version and that occasional double teams will be sufficient.

The health of Nash will likely be an even more crucial factor in this series. He's already a weak link on D and if his movement is compromised we're going to be playing 4 on 5 both ways.

Steve

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
unless we're sand-bagging, everything I've read the last couple days is that Lopez is still a little ways away from playing, much less starting. sucks.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
unless we're sand-bagging, everything I've read the last couple days is that Lopez is still a little ways away from playing, much less starting. sucks.

Yes, but he DID practice normally with the rest of the team today, and is going to tomorrow as well. Monday will be the day when they should figure stuff out.

Hayduke

Registered
Reaction score
Spurs may suck, but they do win. Lots. 13 years of 50+ win seasons. And this year is the worst of the Duncan era. 50 wins.

Boring, maybe. I enjoyed the time I lived there. But, I'm kinda boring.

Trophy-laden, absolutely. Might only be one professional team, but more combined Championships than most cities with multiple pro teams.

I must be wrong in assuming that most NBA fans know at this point that Stern is just as corrupt as any corporate head for any corporate. C'mon, I think we all know that the whole Lakers-Celtics revival wasn't just well played trades and good timing. I give the Spurs as much credit as anyone else (non-fan), but you guys bought/favored those championships. Whats good for the Lakers, Celtics, Spurs, is good for basketball, is good for Executives.
Oh and I think you could summon up a few better stats than those. We have 19 fifty-win seasons.

Rowan Jackson

Reaction score
I am so pumped for this series! WE HAVE NOT YET BEGUN TO FIGHT!!!!!

PS I am and old friend guys, not a newbie :p

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am so pumped for this series! WE HAVE NOT YET BEGUN TO FIGHT!!!!!

PS I am and old friend guys, not a newbie :p

So why shed your "old friend" skin and don a new one. Certainly 2 post is too small to qualify for that.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am definately using that for my Avatar for this most momentous occasion.

Hope you or whomever made that do not mind.

I made it and feel free to use it as your Avatar. I made it the last time we met the Spurs in they playoffs.

The funny thing is that someone gave me a heads up that a Spurs fan posted on their message boards to say we were making fun of their team last time. I guess he was trying to fire up the fan base. What was funny about it, after I read the posts, there were a bunch of Spurs fans that even thought it was funny.

At any rate, there is some truth to that photo and that's why I made it.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Make another one Daren!

Let's get ready for tomorrow!

Refs are into flopping now. Nash and the guys go down good on defense but the Spurs do it on offence. Manu keeps throwing himself into defenders and yelling like a soccer player. That's okay he can't change who he is (pathetic) but I just hope it's a clean series with no dirty plays (no Bowen or Horry -- make a play, yeah right) and fingers crossed no injuries for both sides. It would be ever so sweet to beat them!

KatySpursFan

Reaction score
I must be wrong in assuming that most NBA fans know at this point that Stern is just as corrupt as any corporate head for any corporate. C'mon, I think we all know that the whole Lakers-Celtics revival wasn't just well played trades and good timing. I give the Spurs as much credit as anyone else (non-fan), but you guys bought/favored those championships. Whats good for the Lakers, Celtics, Spurs, is good for basketball, is good for Executives.
Oh and I think you could summon up a few better stats than those. We have 19 fifty-win seasons.

Well, actually, I was talking about consecutive 50+ win seasons (Note: the '99 season percentage is extrapolated to 61 wins (60.7)). So it's really 12 out of 13, but 74% the other year. Spurs have 23 (I think) 50 win seasons.

And really, how does Stern allowing the Spurs to play in the lowest rated NBA Finals ever fit into your conspiracy theory, and make it "good for basketball, ... good for Executives"? SSOL against James and the Cavs would probably have gone more than 4 games. It certainly would have been better viewed. Media perception is that the Spurs were/are boring. Suns were EXCITING!

Stern had plenty of statistical data to back up lower ratings for SA NBA Finals appearances. Three prior visits. Three prior Championships. Poorly viewed television. But I have yet to see ANY NBA team post viewership on the banners. Just NBA Champions.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You must be registered for see images attach

ninous26

Registered
Reaction score
Why do you guys argue over the internet? Are YOU out there on the court? Let the teams do the talking..

Also, yes.. David Stern, Tim Donaghy, NBA was behind screwing over the suns and the kings. Evidence speaks for itself with even an NBA official admitting to it. Not point in arguing.

I mean really, if SPURS fans have to take time out of their day weather they've got nothing to do or at work wasting time its still sad they have to come to other teams forums to talk smack or stir up drama.

Some people.. LOL.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Remember....

You must be registered for see images

Remember....

Remember the knee to the nuts....

Enough!

This is the match up I wanted for the playoffs.

One more shot at a team as dirty as their town. One more chance for the Suns to pick themselves up and smack the bully in the mouth.

Leave Duncan and his phony "I never foul face" in the rear view mirror.

Leave Ginoboli flopping like fish on the court

And leave Parker to continue this sad charade with his wife when we all know the truth...

**** the prize. Eyes on the Spurs.

What a great post... I love it!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05