Top Ten Picks

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
1. Eagles (from Chiefs for the #4 and #67 picks): QB Geno Smith. The right fit for Chip Kelly's offense and they leapfrog ahead of the Jaguars and Raiders just to make sure.

2. Jaguars: OLB Jarvis Jones, Georgia. Bradley is big on pressure and Jones is the most prolific edge rusher in this draft.

3. Raiders: DT Sharif Floyd, Florida. Great pickup for them at this spot. Floyd is exactly what they need in the middle of their defense.

4. Chiefs: T Eric Fisher, Central Michigan. Some may be surprised to see Fisher go ahead of Luke Joeckel, but Fisher is bigger and stronger and just as nifty on his feet.

5. Lions: T Luke Joeckel, Texas A&M. Adding another tackle is now the priority after losing Jeff Backus to retirement and Gosder Cherilus to free agency.

6. Browns: QB Matt Barkley, USC. They aren't comfortable with Brandon Weeden and Barkley is a better fit in Norv Turner's offense.

7. Chargers (from Cardinals for the #11 and #76 picks): T Lane Johnson, Oklahoma. They don't want to get shut out of the top three tackles and make their move to acquire this top-rated Sooner.

8. Bills: QB Ryan Nassib, Syracuse. Doug Marrone doesn't want to risk waiting until round 2 to take his QB.

9. Jets: LB Alec Ogletree, Georgia. The upside on Ogletree is too high for the Jets to pass up at a position of real need now that they have mpoved on from Bart Scott.

10. Titans: DE Dion Jordan, Oregon. They will love Jordan's versatility.

11. Cardinals: G Chance Warmack, Alabama. They are happy to get the player they wanted and an added 3rd rounder.

38. Cardinals: RB Eddie Lacy, Alabama. One of the main reason why the Cardinals wanted Rashard Mendenhall to sign a one-year deal.

69. Cardinals: WR Ryan Swope, Texas A&M. Flashed 4.38 speed at the Combine---tough, elusive and dynamic over the middle and up the seams.

76. Cardinals (from the Chargers): TE Gavin Escobar, San Diego St. Perhaps the most naturally gifted receiver in the TE class.

103. Cardinals: S Phillip Thomas, Fresno St. This kid is a Keim special---one of the real gems in this draft.

140. Cardinals: OLB/DE Quanterus Smith, Western Kentucky. Had a big game versus Alabama but late season injury causes him to slide into 5th round.

174. Cardinals: QB Sean Renfree, Duke. Nice height, competitiveness and vision, needs grooming and added strength.

176. Cardinals: OLB/DE Michael Buchanan, Illinois. Had a very good season, not much of a factor prior to that. Has edge quickness, and burst.

Last edited:

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I am hoping for the first round trade down and still pick up Warmack...I hope you are prophetic. I would also bet on another OL over Swope

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I am hoping for the first round trade down and still pick up Warmack...I hope you are prophetic. I would also bet on another OL over Swope

Or OLB over the reach of Lacy at RB.

Good list tho.

wembley88

A Grand Old Team
Reaction score
I feel the same way about Lacy as i did as a Rutgers fan when Ray Rice entered the draft - that he'd be a very good pick up for someone. I'd be happy with Lacy in the 2nd.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Nice job Mitch. Eddie Lacy would be a great pick for us along with Warmack. I like the Swope and Escobar picks as well. That really helps the offense and gives us our fourth WR and our #2 TE . Teaming Housler with Escobar gives us a dynamic two TE set like the Patriots.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Lacy in the 2nd would be a disaster. 1st round, 3rd round, 4th round ok but not the second round.

Cards Czar

The Bird is the Word
Reaction score
176. Cardinals: OLB/DE Michael Buchanan, Illinois. Had a very good season, not much of a factor prior to that. Has edge quickness, and burst.

His production in 2012 was less then 2011. This was caused by michael getting his jaw broken on the spring. It took longer then expected to heal and he lost alot of strength because of it. I bet he will be a really good pick that late in the draft and a sweet suprise to the team with his production.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
Lacy in the 2nd would be a disaster. 1st round, 3rd round, 4th round ok but not the second round.

i knew this post was coming

we might as well have Leeland Mcelroy call Eddie to let him know the Cards are taking him

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No way Lacy falls out of the first. That guy is an animal

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
1. Eagles (from Chiefs for the #4 and #67 picks): QB Geno Smith. The right fit for Chip Kelly's offense and they leapfrog ahead of the Jaguars and Raiders just to make sure.

2. Jaguars: OLB Jarvis Jones, Georgia. Bradley is big on pressure and Jones is the most prolific edge rusher in this draft.

3. Raiders: DT Sharif Floyd, Florida. Great pickup for them at this spot. Floyd is exactly what they need in the middle of their defense.

4. Chiefs: T Eric Fisher, Central Michigan. Some may be surprised to see Fisher go ahead of Luke Joeckel, but Fisher is bigger and stronger and just as nifty on his feet.

5. Lions: T Luke Joeckel, Texas A&M. Adding another tackle is now the priority after losing Jeff Backus to retirement and Gosder Cherilus to free agency.

6. Browns: QB Matt Barkley, USC. They aren't comfortable with Brandon Weeden and Barkley is a better fit in Norv Turner's offense.

7. Chargers (from Cardinals for the #11 and #76 picks): T Lane Johnson, Oklahoma. They don't want to get shut out of the top three tackles and make their move to acquire this top-rated Sooner.

8. Bills: QB Ryan Nassib, Syracuse. Doug Marrone doesn't want to risk waiting until round 2 to take his QB.

9. Jets: LB Alec Ogletree, Georgia. The upside on Ogletree is too high for the Jets to pass up at a position of real need now that they have mpoved on from Bart Scott.

11. Cardinals: G Chance Warmack, Alabama. They are happy to get the player they wanted and an added 3rd rounder.

38. Cardinals: RB Eddie Lacy, Alabama. One of the main reason why the Cardinals wanted Rashard Mendenhall to sign a one-year deal.

69. Cardinals: WR Ryan Swope, Texas A&M. Flashed 4.38 speed at the Combine---tough, elusive and dynamic over the middle and up the seams.

76. Cardinals (from the Chargers): TE Gavin Escobar, San Diego St. Perhaps the most naturally gifted receiver in the TE class.

103. Cardinals: S Phillip Thomas, Fresno St. This kid is a Keim special---one of the real gems in this draft.

140. Cardinals: OLB/DE Quanterus Smith, Western Kentucky. Had a big game versus Alabama but late season injury causes him to slide into 5th round.

174. Cardinals: QB Sean Renfree, Duke. Nice height, competitiveness and vision, needs grooming and added strength.

First off, no way in heck Bills will take Nassib that high. I know they have a connection but it aint happening.

What's your draft if the Cards stay put? Which is more likely, imo. I'd like them to trade down as well, because they have two really good guards to choose from who will be on the board after #10. Some real good OLB's too. I just don't see anyone making an offer, as much as I'd like to move down some and p/u an extra pick for a QB and still have ammo for some impact positional players, like DL, OLB, S and possibly a CB. Yes CB - if you stay at 7 and the draft went that way, is there some way you pass on a CB with the potential of Dee Milliner? That would solidify our pass D for the long haul. You would have four CB's with legit NFL talent in the pass happy NFL.
With that alignment Cason could be like a roving CB/S. They would rush 4 and drop 7. To me a pick of Milliner would solidify the pass D. Others could be after him as well, and would offer the best hope of trade down.

The other option is taking Warmack, a lot higher than any OG in the last 20 yrs. or more. He could be worth that status. If they stay @ 7 and don't get an offer before where they think they can legitimately get one of the guards. But that would have to be ahead of St. Lou who picks #16 I think. Then you can follow that by taking D in the 2nd, IF the QB position, is not worth taking @ #38.

That will be very hard for this FO and staff to do, imo. If Glennon is sitting there ! #38, I absolutely see them making that pick. If that is the case then they better have a REAL GOOD OL, because he's a sitting duck back there, from what I can tell. He wouldn't be my pick - but I believe he'll be the Cards pick when they finally do go after a rookie signal caller. There is no way they wait around and see if Renfree or someone is going to be around in the 6th RD. It's just not gonna happen that way, this I'm sure. They'll want someone who has the arm strength and some accuracy to target mid and deep patterns. For that they need to build up the OL first and formost, which is what all the insiders are saying as well.

Cards Draft (not mine)

Rd. 1) 7- Warnack - LG

Rd. 2) 38- Glennon - QB

Rd. 3) 69- *Eric Reid - FS / Jonathan Cyprien - FS / Shamarko Thomas - FS/ P. Thomas - FS / They aren't going to wait on S. Best one available at this pick. Barrett Jones or Brian Schwenke (C,) are the possible exceptions if they're available here.
Others who are viable at this spot IF available:
Jordan Poyer CB Oregon State
Arthur Brown LB Kansas State
Dallas Thomas G/T Tennessee
Jamie Collins LB Southern Mississippi
Jamar Taylor CB Boise State

Rd. 4) 103- Justin Pugh - T/G / Brian Winters - OG / Frederick - C/G
If Rd. 3 is someone other than a Saftey, then this pick could go -
Bacarri Rambo - FS / JD Swearinger - FS. The other saftey's will be long gone here, imo.

Rd. 5) 140- Stepfan Taylor - RB - Stanford

Rd. 6) 174- John Simon - LB - Ohio St.
Rd. 6) 176- Joseph Fauria - TE - UCLA

-------------------------------------------------------------------------- If a trade is made - it will mtl be with Miami or TB vying for Dee Milliner. We get TB's #13 and #43 (1,620 pts.) . We give up #7 and #103 (1590 pts.)

Cards Draft:
Rd. 1) 13 - Warmack / Cooper - OG
Rd, 2) 38 - Glennon - QB
Rd. 2) 43 - Zach Ertz - TE / Tank Carradine - DE/OLB
Rd. 3-6 - See Above

Last edited:

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

I am not sure what I want to say here Mitch. Forecasting trades is like looking for Snipes. Of course KC sure looks ripe for a trade. The closer we get to the draft the hotter the QB's seem to be. I have seen at least two draft boards where Fisher was chosen ahead of our #7 pick. I just do not see trading into the #1 slot for a QB when most people say the QBs are all marginal. If we can somehow get Tyler Wilson I will be happy. Seattle and SF look like powerhouses for some years to come barring any injuries to their QBs. I cannot see how we can catch up with them anytime in the next three years.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
No way Lacy falls out of the first. That guy is an animal

USA Today yesterday rated all the teams on acquisitions up to now. The Cards got a "C". Seems like any thing I read about the Cards involves our lack of a QB. The worst grade I saw was a D+. I would say we were in the bottom half of the list easily.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
In reference to drafting a guard that high have things changed now because first round picks are no longer so expensive?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
i knew this post was coming

we might as well have Leeland Mcelroy call Eddie to let him know the Cards are taking him

I'm getting too predictable. :D

It's still just unreal that every RB the Cards have taken in the 2nd round, and I think there have been 9, have washed out. Maybe Ryan Williams will surprise us this year and break the jinx.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I'm down with a trade-down even if it's Cooper we get. Those picks look good but I'd be willing to trade all my G.I. Joes and Star Wars figurings that Barkley doesn't go top 10.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm getting too predictable. :D

It's still just unreal that every RB the Cards have taken in the 2nd round, and I think there have been 9, have washed out. Maybe Ryan Williams will surprise us this year and break the jinx.
Duck - I haven't done any research on this but - since we had Stump Mitchell in our backfield, how many Cardinal RB draft picks haven't been busts regardless of where we picked them? (LSH and Hightower are the only two I can think of, and neither was drafted before round five).

What I'm driving at is that it's not so much a matter of a "2nd round jinx" as it is our inability to draft good RB's regardless of where we draft them. It's just that our FO likes to draft RB's in the 2nd round. (If they preferred to draft RB's in other rounds, the picks IMO would have been equally sucky).

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
First off, no way in heck Bills will take Nassib that high. I know they have a connection but it aint happening.
Completely agree. Maybe they trade up in the second, or down in the first and then draft Nassib, but not at #8.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Duck - I haven't done any research on this but - since we had Stump Mitchell in our backfield, how many Cardinal RB draft picks haven't been busts regardless of where we picked them? (LSH and Hightower are the only two I can think of, and neither was drafted before round five).

What I'm driving at is that it's not so much a matter of a "2nd round jinx" as it is our inability to draft good RB's regardless of where we draft them. It's just that our FO likes to draft RB's in the 2nd round. (If they preferred to draft RB's in other rounds, the picks IMO would have been equally sucky).

Garrison Hearst and Beanie Wells both ran for over a 1000 yards for the Cards. So did Ron Moore a 4th round pick. Thomas Jones and Hearst both went on to solid careers elsewhere. Johnny Johnson, Marcel Shipp and Michael Pittman all had decent if not great seasons for the Cards combining to lead the team in rushing 8 times. Johnson went on to be the Jets leading rusher '93-'94. Earl Ferrell ran for 924 yards and 7 TDs in 1989. He scored 23 TDs from '87-89.

Our 2nd Round RBs never did anything anywhere other than McElroy leading the Cards in rushing with 424 yards and a 3.1 average in 1997. It's just uncanny and it goes all the way back to the 1950's!!! So you have to look at other Cards RBs like Mitchell and Anderson and Otis and Roland and Metcalf and Lane and Crow as well.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Garrison Hearst and Beanie Wells both ran for over a 1000 yards for the Cards. So did Ron Moore a 4th round pick. Thomas Jones and Hearst both went on to solid careers elsewhere. Johnny Johnson, Marcel Shipp and Michael Pittman all had decent if not great seasons for the Cards combining to lead the team in rushing 8 times. Johnson went on to be the Jets leading rusher '93-'94. Earl Ferrell ran for 924 yards and 7 TDs in 1989. He scored 23 TDs from '87-89.

Our 2nd Round RBs never did anything anywhere other than McElroy leading the Cards in rushing with 424 yards and a 3.1 average in 1997. It's just uncanny and it goes all the way back to the 1950's!!! So you have to look at other Cards RBs like Mitchell and Anderson and Otis and Roland and Metcalf and Lane and Crow as well.
IMO, Hearst and Wells (for whatever reasons - injuries & otherwise) were disappointments. "Elsewhere" doesn't count. (If we drafted the dude, what did he do for us; not some other team)? Johnson, Pittman and Tuggy had good seasons, but none of them enjoyed the kind of 4-6+ year stretch with the team you'd hope to get from a successful RB. Ferrell had that one good year &, if I remember, ran into off the field "issues."

I buy what you say about the earlier RB's but that just reinforces my point that, at some point after OJ and Stump, our RB-streak abruptly ended, & we suddenly lost our mojo as RB-mavens. (It wasn't just 2nd round problems; we became bad at using high picks to draft and develop RB's regardless of the round we picked them - we've just become butt-ugly at this overall).

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
IMO, Hearst and Wells (for whatever reasons - injuries & otherwise) were disappointments. "Elsewhere" doesn't count. (If we drafted the dude, what did he do for us; not some other team)? Johnson, Pittman and Tuggy had good seasons, but none of them enjoyed the kind of 4-6+ year stretch with the team you'd hope to get from a successful RB. Ferrell had that one good year &, if I remember, ran into off the field "issues."

I buy what you say about the earlier RB's but that just reinforces my point that, at some point after OJ and Stump, our RB-streak abruptly ended, & we suddenly lost our mojo as RB-mavens. (It wasn't just 2nd round problems; we became bad at using high picks to draft and develop RB's regardless of the round we picked them - we've just become butt-ugly at this overall).

Build the OL and the rushing will follow. They've learned the hard way unfortunately. Too many short cuts in trying to find lightning in a bottle, so to speak. Build it from the front lines back.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Build the OL and the rushing will follow. They've learned the hard way unfortunately. Too many short cuts in trying to find lightning in a bottle, so to speak. Build it from the front lines back.[/QUOTE

I agree with this. Build a strong line and both the running game and passing game will get better.