training camp

jrjbritt

Registered
Reaction score
can anybody tell me why we dont start training camp earlier.. the Eagles report on July 20th.. we report on the 30th.. 10 days later!.. why dont we report earlier and be able to work on gelling better in training camp?

any reasoning?

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Philly & Oakland play in the Hall of Fame game, so I believe that they get to start early in order to prepare.

The Shark

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jrjbritt said:
can anybody tell me why we dont start training camp earlier.. the Eagles report on July 20th.. we report on the 30th.. 10 days later!.. why dont we report earlier and be able to work on gelling better in training camp?

any reasoning?

Every team is allowed the same number of offseason practices, including training camp. Some teams choose to take some of the workouts and tack them onto the beginning of training camp. For example, remember the rookies only practices we had in June? Well, you'll see some teams have the rookies report 3 or 4 days earlier than the Vets because they chose to do those practices later rather than sooner. Guys are now expected to know the playbook BEFORE training camp.

So, we practice just as much as every other team in the NFL. Believe me, there's not a coach in the league who's going to blow off a week of offseason practices.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jrjbritt said:
thanks for the info..

go cards

jr,

One exception is when a team hires a new coach. In that case, they get one more minicamp which is 4 or 5 practices.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
TC Schedule Announced

The official Cardinal and AZR websites announced the training camp schedule at Flag. The AZR reports that scrimmages and weekend practices will be closed to the public.

Which begs the following questions:

- Other than for the scenery, the weather, fan loyalty and comaraderie, is it worth it for Cardinal fans to schlep up to Flag if they can't attend weekend practices or scrimmages?

- Will the media be allowed to observe weekend practices and scrimmages? (Will there, in fact, be any weekend practices since none are listed on the schedule?)

- Will any ASFNers be given press credentials this year?

- Does this mean that there will be no "annual fans' scrimmage?" (If so, is this because it was used as a ticket-sales vehicle in the past, but is now expendible since we're sold out - or close to it?)

CardsGuy

Registered
Reaction score
Annual scrimmage at new Cardinals Stadium

Annual scrimmage at new Cardinals Stadium
By Darren Urban, Tribune
July 7, 2006

The Cardinals’ new stadium in Glendale is bringing with it unsurpassed excitement for the team’s fans this season.

But it is also costing those fans a chance to see the team’s annual training camp scrimmage.

Because coach Dennis Green desires a dress rehearsal for the Cards at their new palace prior to opening the preseason there Aug. 12 against Pittsburgh, the team will hold its scrimmage Aug. 5 at Cardinals Stadium.

The stadium comes on line Aug. 1, after the team has already started camp, and players will need to know where to park and where the locker rooms are in addition to getting a feel for the playing surface of the new facility.

But because of logistical issues — including a lack of parking for the event, which would be expected to draw a large crowd with it in the Valley as opposed to Flagstaff — the scrimmage will be closed to the public, director of media relations Mark Dalton said. Normally, the scrimmage is open for fans and is packaged with a team-wide autograph session at Northern Arizona University’s Walkup Skydome.

The news coincided with Friday’s official release of the team’s training camp schedule. Moving the scrimmage eliminates the lone weekend workout held by the Cards in Flagstaff, because the team doesn’t begin practice until the morning of July 31, a Monday. Players report the night before.

Because of other logistical problems with dorm space at NAU, the team will have an abbreviated time at camp. The Cardinals will be in Flagstaff only three weeks, with the final two practices coming Aug. 17.

Following the team’s second preseason game at New England Aug. 19, the Cardinals will complete their preseason work at their complex in Tempe, meaning fans can watch workouts a total of 14 days.

Contact Darren Urban by email, or phone (480) 898-6525

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
a fine tradition cancelled due to the new stadium. i believe the fans got hosed on this one. oh well, this will soon be forgotten when the cardinals start winning.