Trey Benson

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All last year I was singing his praises, he was the one RB in the draft I really wanted and I still am glad we drafted him. I also say his improvement is the key to the season offensively. You can't NOT love Conner, he runs so hard, does everything we ask of him, with the back story with him overcoming cancer etc you can't help but pull for him. But he's simply not fast enough, we need to get to a point where we can reduce his carries so that some of that load goes to someone who can break off the occasional big run. The hope is that guy is Benson.

If he's not ready yet they ought to consider moving up Carter but I understand why they did it the way they did, DeMercado is 3rd down back, Dallas plays special teams, Conner and Benson are the RB's.

Detroit has a VERY good run defense, but it was also really obvious yesterday that Conner's lack of speed was an issue. Benson's first run was 6 yards, Conner had 9 carries for 17 yards 7 being his longest and that one was blocked for much more than 7. But it's not Conner's fault Benson isn't getting more carries, it's Benson's fault he's still dancing too much as we saw on the 2nd carry.

So far it seems like a situation where he's still saying both Conner and Carter are working with him in practice, but if the light doesn't come on soon they might have to consider adding Carter just to get a change of pace.

I hope the light comes on he's big and fast and terrific in space, I think he's absolutely the RB of the future for us. I just wish he was more ready right now

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I like him as RB2 but man I wish he was more decisive and plant that foot in the ground and go north. He tends to try and bounce it outside. Still a rook with very limited carries so not worried

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don't get what y'all see in this guy. I didn't watch him at FSU, but he hasn't shown any outstanding traits has a pro, including when he was up against practice squadders and CrossFit trainers at the end of preseason games.

2.6 YPC against Duke. 3.7 YPC against North Alabama. 3.2 YPC against Boston College. Okay.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
it's Benson's fault he's still dancing too much as we saw on the 2nd carry.
game on the line and your 220 lb rookie RB turns down taking a DB on to get the first down and instead gets pushed OB

not a good look.

First down run in the 1st quarter and he turns it down -- ill accept that. But not on the carry noted.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like him as RB2 but man I wish he was more decisive and plant that foot in the ground and go north. He tends to try and bounce it outside. Still a rook with very limited carries so not worried

If you look at his preseason carries the one negative was a tendency to try and take it wide, see he wasn't going to get the corner and then just kind of slide down. I watched a video of all his pre season carries he did that 4-5 times in preseason games.

If you saw him in college he wasn't doing that so I think it's more hey these NFL guys are faster than in college I need to adjust. I just hope he adjusts soon. I still think we're a year away but the NFL seems to have a ton of parity this year, sure would be nice for him to figure it out this year, give us an extra dimension on offense

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't get what y'all see in this guy. I didn't watch him at FSU, but he hasn't shown any outstanding traits has a pro, including when he was up against practice squadders and CrossFit trainers at the end of preseason games.

2.6 YPC against Duke. 3.7 YPC against North Alabama. 3.2 YPC against Boston College. Okay.

Big, fast and has the ability to cut on a dime. ALso has good hands.

He was by most the top rated RB in the draft, it was a surprise he was the 2nd one picked not the first. The one concern everyone had, other than the knee injury at Oregon, was a tendency to not be patient, as one guy said he'll run into his blocker every so often because he doesn't wait for the block to develop. The one thing he really didn't do in college was dance around trying to pop the big one, he saw the hole and hit it.