TV ratings a prime-time low

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0608nbaratings-ON.html

TV ratings a prime-time low

Associated Press
Jun. 8, 2007 04:36 PM
NEW YORK - Game 1 of the NBA finals drew the lowest rating ever for an opening-game in prime time, dropping 19 percent from last year.

The San Antonio Spurs' 85-76 victory over the Cleveland Cavaliers on Thursday night earned a 6.3 rating and 11 share on ABC. The previous low was a 6.4/11 in 2003.

Last year's Game 1 between Miami and Dallas earned a 7.8 rating and 14 share.

The rating is the percentage watching a telecast among all homes with televisions, and the share is the percentage tuned in to a broadcast among those households with televisions on at the time. A ratings point represents 1,114,000 households.

3_blind_mice

Reaction score
You made your bed Stern, now sleep in it.

Question: is there any hope of Stern's sorry ass getting fired?

Yotesfan85044

Registered
Reaction score
Wikipedia has a wealth of info on NBA Finals tv ratings since the 70's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_TV_ratings

The lowest rated Finals was 2003, San Antonio vs Detroit, with an average Nielsen rating of 6.5. I'll be shocked if this Finals series doesn't break that record. If the Spurs continue to shut down LeBron and go up 2-0, ratings will really take a plunge. I'll be interested to see if any of the games in this series breaks the record for lowest rated NBA Finals game since 1997. Game 2 of the 2003 Finals had a dismal 5.2 rating.

The Finals have really taken a ratings hit since ABC started airing them in 2003. If you discount the 2004 Finals between the Lakers and Pistons which rated in double-digits for obvious reasons, only two Finals games for 2003/2005/2006/2007 have rated in double-digits, Game 7 of 2005 and the deciding Game 6 of 2006. When you have re-runs on other networks getting better ratings than NBA Finals games, there's definitely a problem.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NBA and Stern are getting what they deserve...

asudevil83

Reaction score
No surprise here. I know very few people watching this series.

the ONLY reason i'm paying any attention to this series is because i've got vegas on it. i watched MAYBE 5 minutes of the 4th quarter of game one just to make sure the spurs made good.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Ha Ha!

Attachments

• Whois16.gif
    Whois16.gif
    15.7 KB · Views: 429

bill bill

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Kind of pathetic when all you can come up with is this. Who the **** cares. I could care less if 10 people watched the games as long as my team was winning. Nice try you pathetic losers

HooverDam

Reaction score
I wonder how the ratings would be next year if it was a Suns-Cavs finals.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Kind of pathetic when all you can come up with is this. Who the **** cares. I could care less if 10 people watched the games as long as my team was winning. Nice try you pathetic losers

If a troll watches the NBA finals by himself, does anyone notice?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

You are obviously so comfortable with your teams lack of popularity that you felt the need to find this board, register and leave an angry message about it.

You are truly a zen master.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm guessing the NBA cares.

You are obviously so comfortable with your teams lack of popularity that you felt the need to find this board, register and leave an angry message about it.

You are truly a zen master.

LOL. I think rooting for a team but posting on another team's board, especially when that team is done playing for the season, is pretty pathetic. I suspect this guy won't be around long.

OP
OP
azirish

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Since the TV networks pay everyone's salaries, I think they had been start caring.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If the Suns were in the finals we wouldn't care what the ratings were either

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks for that first, and Last post...

OP
OP
azirish

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If the Suns were in the finals we wouldn't care what the ratings were either

Except that the ratings would not be so pathetic. The Suns style is extremely popular and the ratings prove it. The Spurs style is the kind of crap that drove down ratings and led to the rule changes the refs won't accept.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Except that the ratings would not be so pathetic. The Suns style is extremely popular and the ratings prove it. The Spurs style is the kind of crap that drove down ratings and led to the rule changes the refs won't accept.

Yeah the Suns style is popular but I'm starting to wonder how playoff effective it is.