Two Nash Moments

flying_hair

Reaction score
I am still wondering about that moment in game two when Steve Nash kissed his bicep. Did any reporter ask him about that? What was he thinking? That was strange. :) Seems like there wasn't a lot of talk about this even though the picture was ESPN.

Also, in game four, when Nash went at Kobe for a layup and ended up kicking Kobe out of the way. I am wondering if that was on purpose. Surely Steve saw Kobe in the way and usually Steve doesn't attack defenders who are in a position to block him (which Kobe was). So I'm thinking he did it on purpose because it sure was effective.

Furio

Rookie
Reaction score
1) That was after Odom hacked him hard on an intentional foul to stop a fast break.

2) Natural move by Nash, not intentional kick. Did you see the way he kept his balance and twisted before making the shot? Could have been called a foul, but was not. Live with it.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Natural move for sure, but this whole board (well, most people anyways) was up in arms when Manu did the same thing to Stoudemire a couple months back.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I am still wondering about that moment in game two when Steve Nash kissed his bicep. Did any reporter ask him about that? What was he thinking? That was strange. :) Seems like there wasn't a lot of talk about this even though the picture was ESPN.

Also, in game four, when Nash went at Kobe for a layup and ended up kicking Kobe out of the way. I am wondering if that was on purpose. Surely Steve saw Kobe in the way and usually Steve doesn't attack defenders who are in a position to block him (which Kobe was). So I'm thinking he did it on purpose because it sure was effective.

The bicep kissing I though was some kind of reference to WWF; the kicking I thought was intentional. Kobe deserved it. :p

asudevil83

Reaction score
the only logical conclusion that you can make based off those two events is that Nash is a cocky, dirty player.

mribnik

Reaction score
Natural move for sure, but this whole board (well, most people anyways) was up in arms when Manu did the same thing to Stoudemire a couple months back.

Except for me. I was arguing that it was natural and it happens all the time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

flying_hair

Reaction score
I just thought the kiss was hilarious. It seemed like he was just so hyped up, he wasn't thinking, he just reacted to the foul in that way. Steve seems to be acting a more emotional/genuine this year. Putting on less of a "nice guy" facade.

As for the layup on Kobe. If Kobe doesn't get kicked (accidentally or not), I think he would of blocked Steve. But they way the play turned out, I thought it was awesome.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the only logical conclusion that you can make based off those two events is that Nash is a cocky, dirty player.

Considering the 2 "arm" flaps Kobe threw up this season and the contact he initiates, I would hardly call what Nash did Dirty.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I just thought the kiss was hilarious. It seemed like he was just so hyped up, he wasn't thinking, he just reacted to the foul in that way. Steve seems to be acting a more emotional/genuine this year. Putting on less of a "nice guy" facade.

As for the layup on Kobe. If Kobe doesn't get kicked (accidentally or not), I think he would of blocked Steve. But they way the play turned out, I thought it was awesome.

Disagree there, and so did the guys calling the game. Kobe was preparing for Nash to lay the ball up on the right side of the rim--but at the last second contorted his body to change the shot to a finger roll, thus negating Kobe's chances of blocking it. IMO, the kick was just a side effect of Nash's body control and NOT intentional.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Disagree there, and so did the guys calling the game. Kobe was preparing for Nash to lay the ball up on the right side of the rim--but at the last second contorted his body to change the shot to a finger roll, thus negating Kobe's chances of blocking it. IMO, the kick was just a side effect of Nash's body control and NOT intentional.

It didn't even look like Nash got him in the groin. He might've just got the bottom of his shorts. If it was intentional then Kobe would've been on the ground in pain like Amare was after Ginobili got him.

scotsman13

Reaction score
well lets see, there are two calls that could have been called on that play. blocking and charging. now if kobe was moving or was in the restricted area of floor you cant call a charging. since kobe was in the air then the only thing that could have been was blocking and because it was kobe he didnt get called for it.

sunsfn

Reaction score

About the bicep,
What I saw was Odom reaching in with his left hand and then putting his right arm around Nash like a bear hug. They were bent over and Nash finally pulled away. He walked away shaking his head like what did he do that for, then he smiled and kissed his bicep!

The kick was not on purpose, and was not at all comparable to what Manu did to Amare!

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Yeah, on that "Karl Malone kick" (nice turn of phrase by Mark Jackson), Kobe had bothered his shot before in similar circumstances. Clearly Kobe wasn't going to get hurt there--it was more of a push in the lower leg than anything IIRC--but no question Nash got away with an offensive foul.

My favorite recent Nash moment was in game 2, right before halftime, when he lofted that pass to Boris on the break and Doug Collins (who was rooting for the Lakers to make it a close game) exclaimed "Oh no!" while the ball was still in the air.

Nash has just thrown the 50-foot alley-oop to Marion, reminding me of a QB hitting his receiver in the hands on a deep post, so the Boris pass recalled the perfect short touch pass that goes over two defenders and hits the running back in stride. :thumbup:

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Nash kick did not really involve much contact. At the same time, there were countless times that Kobe would clear out with his off had and not only get away with it, but the defender would be called for the foul. :bang: