UFA Centers in our price range...

Errntknght

Reaction score
I sifted through the list of UFA's and picked out the centers that seemed to me like they would probably be affordable to the Suns... I could well be wrong about some of them.

Dale Davis
Jahidi White
DaSagana Diop
Scott Williams
Mark Pope
Elden Campbell
Daniel Santiago
Earvin Johnson
Mark Madsen
Jabari Smith
Bruno Sundov
Tony Massenburg
Wang Zhizhi
Andrew DeClercq

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Boy, is that depressing. Madsen's probably the best on the list.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Wow, that sad sad list makes it even more apparent how badly the Suns need to find a way to resign Hunter.

Of that list though, I think its tough to pick who is the best. Most of the guys who are good, are shells of their former selves. The young players are lazy and unmotivated and havent shown anything yet. Maybe if Ivaroni is around next year, he can turn Diop into something? Bleck, I dunno.

EDIT: I also thought Madsen was the best on the list, but at only 6-9, he won't give us much size. He wouldnt give us enough blocks, rebound or toughness.

Kolo

Reaction score
elindholm said:
Boy, is that depressing. Madsen's probably the best on the list.

Seeing that list makes me think Hunter's going to get substantially better than the $1.7 million we can offer.

And that list doesn't include Traylor, who I think would probably be the best player on it.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
EDIT: I also thought Madsen was the best on the list, but at only 6-9, he won't give us much size. He wouldnt give us enough blocks, rebound or toughness.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm not a Madsen fan. But, for what it's worth, he had a reputation as a pretty hard-nosed player while with the Lakers. And his rebound rate works out to 11 per 48 minutes, which isn't bad.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
How about Corie Blount?

Edit: Blount may have one of the longest careers in league history among players who never averaged better than 5 points per game over a season.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Add Drobjnak to that list as the Hawks did not pick up his option. The Suns were interested in him a few years ago.... he still might be worth a look.

Reaction score
Errntknght said:
Dale Davis
Jahidi White
DaSagana Diop
Scott Williams
Mark Pope
Elden Campbell
Daniel Santiago
Earvin Johnson
Mark Madsen
Jabari Smith
Bruno Sundov
Tony Massenburg
Wang Zhizhi
Andrew DeClercq
Ugh...I would take Oliver Miller over some players on that list!
Even when looking at the centers at a slightly higher (or even MLE) price, the more I think the KT/Q trade will go down as one of the best of the off-season. KT was actually one of the better PF/C's out there.

The old guys on that list might be decent for 5-6 minutes in a game (I don't want to say 5-6 minutes per game because I doubt they would get it in on this team). Campbell or Davis might make sense as deep reserves on a playoff team. At least when you put them in they would know what to do.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Since 1995. Was he injured last season? He was getting regular minutes until last year, but maybe it's just that Howard pushed him out of the rotation.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
wow that list hurts...

But Jahidi White wasnt that bad when we had him lol

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In another thread I suggested Traylor. At 12 rebounds per 48, he is a reasonably good rebounder and plays physical defense. He's a lot like Jahidi, but has vastly better hands.

Robert Traylor
Cleveland Cavaliers
Position: F-C
Height: 6-8 Weight: 284
College : Michigan '99
Player file | Team stats

2004-05 Statistics
PPG 5.5
RPG 4.5
APG .8
SPG .73
BPG .68
FG% .444
FT% .539
3P% .000
MPG 17.9

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The problem with Traylor is that he can't move without the help of a dolly and commits a foul every time he exhales. In my opinion he is not a good fit.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
elindholm said:
The problem with Traylor is that he can't move without the help of a dolly and commits a foul every time he exhales. In my opinion he is not a good fit.

And Madsen is? :confused:

We aren't looking a terrific collection here. I see Traylor as Jahidi with good hands. Strictly a role player, but most of these guys aren't even that.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
And Madsen is?

Madsen is much more agile. Yes, he would definitely be a better fit on the Suns. They're both scrubs, but one brings hustle and the other brings mass. For a low-level backup big man, the Suns would be better off with hustle, in my opinion, but the question could be open to debate.

HooverDam

Reaction score
The Mad Dog Blog (which can be seen here: http://www.markmadsen.com/maddogblog.htm) can't hold a candle to Paul Shirley's sarcastic blog. Man, I think the Suns should resign Shirley, especially w/ the expanded rosters. He is a big who knows the system and is content w/ never playing.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hunter is clearly better than any of these guys so he should be on the Sun's priority list, not that he isn't already but, losing a 7 footer with shot blocking ability leaves a big hole in our bench and there really isn't anyone available to fill it. Elden Campbell would be the only one close to a defensive presence in the post but he is ancient.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
I still think Mikki Moore would be the best choice, if the Suns could get him.

sunsfn

Reaction score
Mikki Moore would be a good choice.

The difference between Madson & Traylor (without checking) has got to be that Traylor can score a little with put backs, and somehow seems to be able to move that body better than one would think. Madson out hustles most players though. Neither is a very good choice because Jake can do what they do somewhat. The suns would like to get a shot blocker.

Dale Davis....would have to come cheap because he is old. (tough though) will probably resign with Indiana.
Jahidi White....surgery last year....? bad hands, has to come cheap.
DaSagana Diop....Yes, bring this guy in for the cheap and work him hard and see if he can be somebody to build on. He has been around 4 years and some big men take longer than that. Still very young. Should be a shot blocker.
Scott Williams....retired and going to be an announcer with Cleveland.
Mark Pope........career big man that can not contribute.
Elden Campbell.....no way, he goes back to Detroit or retires.
Daniel Santiago....just signed overseas.
Earvin Johnson.... has lost it.
Jabari Smith.......????
Bruno Sundov.....NY says going to resign.
Tony Massenburg.....he has got to be the oldest player in the league:)
Wang Zhizhi.....No Way no Wang.
Andrew DeClercq....possibility, big man that can run a little. (injured?)
Corie Blount........I understand Scott Skiles wants him back :) :) :)
Drobjnak...really did not have a good year, and the suns probably do not want him at this point because he is not at all defense minded, or a shot blocker. (WHAT DID I JUST SAY, SUNS AND DEFENSE??) :) :)

If they can not end up getting Hunter for the $$$, I am hoping they can get one of the Bucks guys, not sure how. Gadzuric will probably be the best shot blocker & defender, Pachula is going to play some defense and can score.

The suns may have to trade Jake to a team for another player, like the deal with the Cavs that did not work. Then keep him or trade him to another team in a trade for a big.

---

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Errntknght said:
After reading that list don't you feel a little better about Voskuhl?

That is pretty discouraging, but true.

In any case, the kind of guy the Suns can afford for the LLE will have to be a role player to be much help. Guys with strong all round skills are simply out of the Suns price range.

What kind of guys makes sense? My priority is someone who might be useful when playing the Spurs.

The fact is that during the season the Suns are going to be fine as long as they stay healthy. KT will play a lot more minutes than Hunter and the Suns can go small the rest of the time. Knowing D'Antoni, it's hard to imagine any third big getting more than garbage time during the season and Jake is ideal for that.

The real question is what kind of player would be useful during the playoffs. Hunter's shot blocking is a big plus. Madsen's energy might help (I'm nos ture he's got enough offense for D'Antoni, but that's a separate issue), Traylor's strength and hands might help, and so on.

I look at how much trouble the Sonics gave the Spurs. Their ability to throw big bodies at them seemed to make a difference. Jerome James had a completely forgetable season, yet played very well against the Spurs. (He is out of the Suns price range).

The regular season will take care of itself. What the Suns need is more help for the Spurs series.

Last edited:

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
i know this is crazy and this guy is as old as dirt, but in terms of being a big body who can get up and down a little bit with good/real good post game i think elden campbell is the best player on that list. He would only play 10 minutes a game but his massive girth could at least lean on Timmy and make it that much harder for him to keep up w/ amare........

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
sunsfn said:
DaSagana Diop....Yes, bring this guy in for the cheap and work him hard and see if he can be somebody to build on. He has been around 4 years and some big men take longer than that. Still very young. Should be a shot blocker.

I agree with every word you just said here. I think Diop could wind up being a nice pickup for somebody. He's still as raw as he was when he was drafted, however perhaps bringing him in and working him with a professional like Kurt Thomas will be beneficial for both him and the Suns in the future.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
elindholm said:
And Madsen is?

Madsen is much more agile. Yes, he would definitely be a better fit on the Suns. They're both scrubs, but one brings hustle and the other brings mass. For a low-level backup big man, the Suns would be better off with hustle, in my opinion, but the question could be open to debate.
We allready have that on our team. His name is Jake.

I think Traylor is the best option. We have high flyers, we dont have anyone with bulk who can take up space.

Were talking about a guy that isnt gunna play alot, only in certian situations. Aguy who we can bring in to give hard defense for afew min's at at a time. A guy who can bang on guys like Duncan, Shaq, Yao, ect. Not for extended amount of min's but can offer 6 good fouls. Traylor is perfect IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05