Uh, Rex quits!

King A

Registered
Reaction score
Suns' Chapman quits job with front office
Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Jun. 16, 2005 12:00 AM
Rex Chapman resigned Wednesday from his post as the Suns director of basketball operations.

Chapman retired blissfully in 2000 as a 12-year NBA veteran who had played his final four seasons in Phoenix. He did not step away from the club as amicably this time.

Chapman just received his front office title less than 10 months ago after serving for two seasons as a college scout, just as his father had done for the Suns for three years. Chapman quit his job, which still focused on scouting college talent, just 13 days before the June 28 NBA draft.

Suns President and General Manager Bryan Colangelo confirmed the resignation but declined to elaborate. Chapman did not expound on his decision but clearly was ready to sever the ties in a tenuous relationship with Colangelo.

The Suns found it difficult to function with Chapman in the group structure of Phoenix's basketball brain trust. If there was a power play, Colangelo solidified his position once his difficult 2004 moves - trading Stephon Marbury, extending coach Mike D'Antoni's contract and signing free agents Steve Nash and Quentin Richardson - panned out for the league's third-best turnaround.

Chapman was instrumental in last summer's recruitment of Nash, who considers his ex-Suns teammate among his best friends. He also gained the trust of managing owner Robert Sarver.

Chapman had joined the Suns staff in Chicago last week for a pre-draft camp but left without notice. The Suns remain well prepared with the work of player personnel director David Griffin, Senior Executive Vice President Dick Van Arsdale and college scout John Shumate.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Pretty unprofessional for a team scout to quit a week before the draft.

I'm sure he'll get a wonderful recommendation from the organization.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
devilalum said:
Pretty unprofessional for a team scout to quit a week before the draft.
'Sounds like a festering situation led to a final blowup. I wonder if we'll ever hear the details.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
BC867 said:
'Sounds like a festering situation led to a final blowup. I wonder if we'll ever hear the details.

that's right. It doesn't sound like he just up and quit unexpectedly. In fact it almost sounds like he was forced out. I've heard that many people in the organization are not especially fond of Bryan Colangelo.

Joe Mama

sunsfn

Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
that's right. It doesn't sound like he just up and quit unexpectedly. In fact it almost sounds like he was forced out. I've heard that many people in the organization are not especially fond of Bryan Colangelo.

Joe Mama

Where did you hear this Joe?

I have not read anything about this or heard this on the radio or tv.......?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
sunsfn said:
Where did you hear this Joe?

I have not read anything about this or heard this on the radio or tv.......?

i've actually heard somewhat the same from current and former employees (some in some fairly higher-up positions) about the elder colangelo, but not so much bryan. the thinking around the organization is if you're one of his boys, you're golden, if it's questionable your position stinks.

i think this kinda stinks. for whatever reason i always liked the fact that sexy rex was still part of the organization. he seemed to keep us current. the rest of the vets hired by the organization either aren't in-touch with the hip-hop culture currently pervading the nba (see tom chambers, connie hawkins, and mark west) or just seem to be dorks (cedric ceballos). i think we may miss mr. chapman...

regardless, thanks sexy rex for your incredibly ridiculous shots, the grin, and steve nash.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked Rex Chapman and wish him well.

Concerning the Suns, I wonder if this has any draft, FA or trade implications.

I've always been a little more concerned about the Suns scouting since the death of Percodini and even more so after the death of Cotton.

Cotton always knew talent when he saw it.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
I liked Rex Chapman and wish him well.

Concerning the Suns, I wonder if this has any draft, FA or trade implications.

The Suns have a history of being somewhat better than average in the draft. It is hard to know how much impact Rex has had since so many people are involved. The timing seems odd, but it may be that the draft simply proved the Rex that his imput wasn't being valued.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I'm glad to see a little shake up amongst those responsible for drafting. I don't agree that the Suns have done well drafting since Mr. Percudani died. We made one great selection but that is it. Barbosa was the second best pick the team has made because he seemed to have the physical abilities needed for a good defender but he's made very little progress on that front, so he hasn't actually panned out.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Errntknght said:
I'm glad to see a little shake up amongst those responsible for drafting. I don't agree that the Suns have done well drafting since Mr. Percudani died. We made one great selection but that is it. Barbosa was the second best pick the team has made because he seemed to have the physical abilities needed for a good defender but he's made very little progress on that front, so he hasn't actually panned out.

I'll probably wait to see what Cabarkapa does this year for Golden State before I declare him a bust. I liked David West and Brian Cook, but neither of them have been lighting the NBA on fire. The only other guys would be Josh Howard (last pick of the first round) and Marquise Daniels (undrafted). Cabarkapa showed some flashes of promise before Danny Fortson wiped him out. He had some nice games off the bench for Golden State last year. I think the jury is still out on him.

The Phoenix Suns missed several good players when they drafted Casey Jacobsen. This has been well documented. There are a couple guys I probably would have taken before Jackson Vroman, but let's face it, he was a second-round draft pick who was an instrumental part of the trade for Jimmy Jackson. The trade with Chicago was probably a mistake, but that had little to do with scouting. They wanted Iguodala or Deng, but they didn't think those guys would be available. Those would have probably been the best choices though.

If you are saying that since Amare Stoudemire's selection the Phoenix Suns' drafting hasn't done as well as we've come to expect from them I agree. It may very well be time to stop mentioning how well the Phoenix Suns have drafted in the past. I think it's a little early to do that now though.

Joe Mama

Last edited:
Reaction score
Chapman says his departure was amicable

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Jun. 17, 2005 12:00 AM The separation of Rex Chapman and the Suns was a "mutual decision," Chapman said a day after he resigned as the team's director of basketball operations.

Chapman said Thursday that he left on good terms with Suns Chairman Jerry Colangelo and Managing Partner Robert Sarver.

He did not rule out a return to the organization, particularly because his best friend is Steve Nash.
FULL ARTICLE

minercon

Registered
Reaction score
I always thought that Joe Proski stepped down suddenly and that there may have been some inner family conflicts going on....

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
minercon said:
I always thought that Joe Proski stepped down suddenly and that there may have been some inner family conflicts going on....
maybe Bryan didnt like the way those magic fingers were rubbing.

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
"did not rule out a return to the team"

"was not a power struggle with BC"

Maybe he just did not like scouting, it does seem to be a very subjective role. Mentioned he was looking into broadcasting and coaching. What was his postion before he was college scout.

Last edited:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I doubt it was the reason he left the job, but I've heard some things about Rex Chapman having a lot in common with Frank Johnson.