University Of Phoenix Stadium vs Sun Devil Stadium

100%CardsFan

100% embarrassed
Reaction score
Well the other thread had me thinking about what you guys thought about and the differences between the stadiums.

Pros-
AC of course. I used to come back from the games burnt to high heaven but never missed a game do to the heat

A full crowd, but this is a 2 edge sword. I think that the 35000 we had at SDS were mostly all diehards and we got pretty loud for being an open air stadium and half the people of the new stadium

No more Benches.. I hated those metal bleachers

The best stadium structure wise I have ever been in, including not peeing in a big troth anymore.

Cons-
The crowd, They act like they are at dinner or something, no screaming or standing up? This is a football game people

The Concessions, It took me about 30 min to get a beer at the stands where at SDS I could get a beer no prob

the feel for the game, I could smell football on Sundays at SDS, It seems like something is missing in the new stadium..not sure what it is yet. Anyone else feel this way?

OP
OP
100%CardsFan

100%CardsFan

100% embarrassed
Reaction score
And I miss the fights. It sounds stupid but I really do. At SDS you were sure to see a handful of good brawls, Now I see Cards fans shaking the opposing teams fans and saying good game after we just loss. WTH!!!! Grow some bal...nevermind lol

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'll ad to the pros of U of P.

Escalators and parking. I have Sun Devils season tickets and walking up the ramps sucks. The parking is free (kind of) and close. Lot D, although fun was far away.

The scoreboards and all of the Cards signage is awesome. makes it look LIKE home, but until they win some big games it won't feel like home.

Last edited:

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
And I miss the fights. It sounds stupid but I really do. At SDS you were sure to see a handful of good brawls, Now I see Cards fans shaking the opposing teams fans and saying good game after we just loss. WTH!!!! Grow some bal...nevermind lol

It was like a bell rung at the end of the 3rd quarter to let the fights begin!

OP
OP
100%CardsFan

100%CardsFan

100% embarrassed
Reaction score
I'll ad to the pros of U of P.

Escalators and parking. I have Sun Devils season tickets and walking up the ramps sucks. The parking is free (kind of) and close. Lot D, although fun was far away.

The scoreboards and all of the Cards signage is awesome. makes it feel LIKE home, but until they win some big games it won't feel like home.

I agree about that too. I like seeing the big Bird everywhere and a little thing is that we have our own field. I used to HATE to see "Cardinals" over "Sun Devils" on Sunday Morning after ASU just trashed the field.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I agree about that too. I like seeing the big Bird everywhere and a little thing is that we have our own field. I used to HATE to see "Cardinals" over "Sun Devils" on Sunday Morning after ASU just trashed the field.

That was annoying as hell.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The Cardinals locker room was out of the 3rd world at SDS. I will admit though that preseason was better at SDS. Way more shenanigans. Always had a blast in the preseason there. We would hit all the Mill bars afterward. The East Valley is better too (that was for Gee LOL)

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
The only reason you could get a beer a SDS was because there was usually only 34-40k people at a game. when you had more than 55k at a game is was a nightmare to leave your seat. Of course sharing your seat with two other fat slobs from the opposing team was also a nightmare. If you miss SDS, just go to the stadium one Sunday afternoon and sit in the sun for a couple of hours. If you can last that long.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I go to the games to see football. I really don't care where they play. The difference between the stadiums was supposed to be an improved cash flow for the team which would result in a better product on the field. That's what I'd like to see... :D

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cardinals locker room was out of the 3rd world at SDS. I will admit though that preseason was better at SDS. Way more shenanigans. Always had a blast in the preseason there. We would hit all the Mill bars afterward. The East Valley is better too (that was for Gee LOL)

your dead..

bigredjane

& amp; quot ;Car d s Crazy
Reaction score
I like the new stadium--

but, there was just something special about going to the game on Sunday at SDS, the college feel of the town, fun places, nice to see the crowds arriving, there was just something about the old place that said Football. I even didn't mind the bleachers just that awful heat and sitting in 110 and waiting for the sun to drop behind at 3:00.

OP
OP
100%CardsFan

100%CardsFan

100% embarrassed
Reaction score
but, there was just something special about going to the game on Sunday at SDS, the college feel of the town, fun places, nice to see the crowds arriving, there was just something about the old place that said Football. I even didn't mind the bleachers just that awful heat and sitting in 110 and waiting for the sun to drop behind at 3:00.

Glad to see me and azsouthendzone arent the only ones who thought that..

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The thing I miss most about SDS is the fireworks.
I loved hearing them go off during the National Anthem, then hearing all the car alarms in the parking lot go off, and after Cardinals scores.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of you people are clearly on crack.. There was absolutly nothing good about SDS.. Location sucked, stadium sucked, the drive to the stadium sucked, the heat sucked, over rated Mill sucked.. It all sucked..

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Some of you people are clearly on crack.. There was absolutly nothing good about SDS.. Location sucked, stadium sucked, the drive to the stadium sucked, the heat sucked, over rated Mill sucked.. It all sucked..

Yep, agreed..............................................................

Except for the fireworks.
:D

OP
OP
100%CardsFan

100%CardsFan

100% embarrassed
Reaction score
The thing I miss most about SDS is the fireworks.
I loved hearing them go off during the National Anthem, then hearing all the car alarms in the parking lot go off, and after Cardinals scores.

Ahhh the Fireworks another Pro I forgot. If I couldnt make it to the game I would sit outside on the lake at my parents house and watch the game or listen to it on the Radio. I could hear the Fireworks at Dobson and Baseline

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just wish this stadium had a fully retractable roof (so it actually felt like outdoor football afteer the first month of unbearable heat) and didn't have that gaping empty area in that endzone. That gaping emptiness just bugs the ever living crap out of me for some reason.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I just wish this stadium had a fully retractable roof (so it actually felt like outdoor football afteer the first month of unbearable heat) and didn't have that gaping empty area in that endzone. That gaping emptiness just bugs the ever living crap out of me for some reason.

They do have seats there this year.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They do have seats there this year.

yeah, like 7 more piddly rows or something like that, right? I'm talking actually making that a real endzone section like we saw in the Fiesta Bowl/BCS Title game.

AntSports Steve

Cardinals Future GM
Reaction score
Actually, last year, they didn't sell tickets to the south endzone seats, but there were more seats and it went up higher.

This year, they put in nice seats, but the angle is not as high and there are fewer of them. But, they do sell tickets to those seats. Because of the low angle and fewer seats it does look empty.

Now, my normal seats are up in the Ring of Honor section. If I time it right, (for example, I see that the quarter is about to end, or I see that they just punted and are going to a TV timeout), I can run from my seat, up to the beer stand, be the 1st one in line, get my beer, and return to my seat before the next play begins. So, I don't understand the long beer lines. Maybe if I went to the beer stand when everyone else was going and I was in the rows farther from the stand, maybe then I could relate. But, I never have to wait for a beer.

Pros: I think when everyone yells (the close games early in the year last year), the noise is much louder than SDS ever was.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05