Urban: Green era begins with spirited offseason practice

Jim O

Reaction score
Green era begins with spirited offseason practice
By Darren Urban, Tribune

When someone suggested Friday following the Cardinals’ first offseason practice that it looked like players were trying to impress their new coaches, quarterback Josh McCown smiled.

"I think it’s guys having to impress," McCown said. "That’s the pace the (coaches) set. You practice at that pace or you don’t practice."

There was a certain sense of comfort that came with playing under the previous coaching staff. Guys might lose a starting job once in a while, but it was rare. Players were never cut during the season. Public criticism was not something to worry about.

That has changed.

Defensive tackle Wendell Bryant has heard his name called out publicly by new Cardinals coach Dennis Green. So has guard Leonard Davis. Both are former No. 1 draft picks who haven’t performed as well as the team had expected.

"I’m always under the gun — is there anything (expletive) new around here?" said Bryant, with an air of resignation.

Neither player is going anywhere, at least for now. But for a team that will only be able to upgrade its talent so far in the draft after a limited collection of new free agents, the main improvement has to be from players who have lost 21 of their past 26 games.

Pedigree means nothing right now. It is last year’s fifthround draft pick Kenny King lining up as a starter at defensive tackle, not Bryant. Last year’s No. 1 pick, Calvin Pace, is a second-stringer while Fred Wakefield is starting at defensive end.

When Green started listing the things he looks for in practice, he naturally mentioned players that work hard.

Then he made sure to add, "once they make the ballclub, (I look for) the motivation to play, be a Pro Bowler and make a lot of money."

In other words, don’t feel at ease once you make the final roster.

The Cards certainly want to see a Pro Bowl level from Davis, the No. 2 pick in 2001 who is moving from the right side to the left this season.

"I just want to play up to the expectations that I have of myself to be the best player out there on the field, period," Davis said. "He respects me, that’s how I look at it. It’s one of those deals, he will expect more than most people would expect."

Green’s first practices Friday were high energy, maybe a little more work than some veterans had counted on. But Green said he was pleased with his team, especially since every player who could practice did.

"My job is to keep things rolling, like a teacher with a lesson plan," Green said. "We have things we want to accomplish."

Green and his staff are going to make sure the players don’t ever forget that message and sometimes, it won’t be fun to hear.

"You’ve got Coach Green talking about going to the playoffs," said tight end Freddie Jones, another player who has been publicly challenged by Green. "Somebody has to back that up."

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
LVCARDFREAK said:
Thats a nice way to start off the season Bryant. What a Joke!

I am starting to believe there may be something to what Skorp said sometime back: Wendel Bryant might not be on this team come Sept.

Saw the same thing when I read it myself. What a friggin' loser. Maybe it would be a little different, pod person, if you actually PLAYED WELL!!!