USA vs Italy

karesk

Reaction score
F-Dog said:
When Bibby opted out of the national team, that's when I first predicted they would lose at the Olympics.

It's obvious that the US doesn't have a PG now, to say nothing of the shooting that they also don't have.

You know who else this team needs? Brad Miller. :shrug:

Do any of you remember the WC of the lock-out year? Team USA did consist of undrafted players, college players and American players playing in Europe. Brad Miller was one of the players (he was undrafted) and he played quite good. There were guys like Langdon, Gerard King, Wendell Alexis who played in Europe and that team finished 4th (or 3rd).

frdbtr

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe we won't have any more players showing up late for practice. Hopefully this whipping will let them all know that they are going to have to play hard and as a team to win this year or it will be another humiliating experience. By the way, Marion was injured and wasn't playing when the last USA team got humiliated. That team was undefeated with Marion playing so I wouldn't be too quick to blame him for USA basketball playing badly.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
frdbtr said:
Maybe we won't have any more players showing up late for practice. Hopefully this whipping will let them all know that they are going to have to play hard and as a team to win this year or it will be another humiliating experience. By the way, Marion was injured and wasn't playing when the last USA team got humiliated. That team was undefeated with Marion playing so I wouldn't be too quick to blame him for USA basketball playing badly.

OH MY GOOD LORD - Can you people not comprehend what I'm saying? My comment was more about the luster being taken off the Olympian thing - not blaming Shawn Marion inidividually for us losing - good grief Charlie Brown!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
frdbtr said:
Maybe we won't have any more players showing up late for practice. Hopefully this whipping will let them all know that they are going to have to play hard and as a team to win this year or it will be another humiliating experience.

I really would have thought the humiliating 6th place finish the last time we competed would be a wake-up call for these guys . . .

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
frdbtr said:

Yea, you are misunderstanding Cheesebeef's point as I did.

He was just saying being on the olympic team does not prove his greatness because the olympic team is not a great team.

The other side is Marion is one of the better players on the team but not because he is a great player but because he is a great role player and hustles while on the floor.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw a, but this really shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone who saw the world championships a couple years ago. If the USA really had its best players out there every year (that's right keep the team together, so they are accustomed to each other) they would destroy everyone. But we all know that just as impossible anymore. So now it's up to the selection committee to put the right team together. It was obvious when they picked the team at the committee failed.

That world championship team lost because they couldn't handle a zone defense and couldn't shoot the ball. This is an even worse shooting team. Marbury and Iverson are very good NBA players, but they are about the worst possible choices for this type of competition. I'm just not sure who is a better choice that hadn't already turned down the team.

ASUCHRIS said:
The U.S. looked admittedly bad, especially Carmello. The guy shoots every time he touches the ball. The U.S. looked horrendous defensively, and few players showed any fire.

Worst of all, the refs completely changed the game. After Amare's monster block, Lebron made a huge dunk, was fouled, and the refs called traveling, one of the worst calls I've ever seen, and changed the complexion of the game. The dunk would have cut it to ten, with momentum to the U.S. Numerous terrible calls were made, but the U.S. still lost the game based on their play, and incredibly lucky shooting by the Italians.

I have watched this game twice already thanks to Tivo. You must have something against Anthony because the team would have been better if he had played the entire time. He was the only team USA player taking and making shots from outside. He went to the basket aggressively. Other than Tim Duncan he might have been their best player. He was also quite active on defense.

I've been critical of Anthony because I hate the way he whines to the media without his exclusion from the All-Star game and then team USA. But he has been one of the better players on this team. He outplayed James by a longshot today.

If you really want to blame one player in particular for the lost today it has got to be Allen Iverson. He was flat out horrible. He couldn't have had any fewer than 6 turnovers. His defense was just atrocious. I mean Marbury didn't play particularly well, but he was much, much better than Iverson. Of course I don't blame the entire loss on him. He was the worst player for team USA though.

Regarding the referees, they were pretty bad. Honestly, if you watched the game objectively the officiating definitely favored the Italians. LeBron James traveled on that play. I thought that was pretty clear. In fact I think he traveled more than once in the game. The reason I thought the officiating favored the Italians was that they were going to the free-throw line when they were getting contact on their drives. The Americans on the other hand could have gone to the free-throw line a whole lot more. The Italians were grabbing, groping, and bumping the entire game.

That said, the officials did not cost team USA they game. The Americans were badly outplayed on both ends.

BTW, if this is the way Larry Brown plans on running his defense Shawn Marion and Amare Stoudemire aren't going to learn anything new. The defense looked exactly like the Phoenix Suns' defense last year. I mean it looked exactly like it. The point guards and shooting guards were constantly beaten off the dribble and off of picks while everyone else ran around like chickens with their heads cut off.

Joe Mama

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
I saw a, but this really shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone who saw the world championships a couple years ago. If the USA really had its best players out there every year (that's right keep the team together, so they are accustomed to each other) they would destroy everyone. But we all know that just as impossible anymore. So now it's up to the selection committee to put the right team together. It was obvious when they picked the team at the committee failed.

That world championship team lost because they couldn't handle a zone defense and couldn't shoot the ball. This is an even worse shooting team. Marbury and Iverson are very good NBA players, but they are about the worst possible choices for this type of competition. I'm just not sure who is a better choice that hadn't already turned down the team.

I have watched this game twice already thanks to Tivo. You must have something against Anthony because the team would have been better if he had played the entire time. He was the only team USA player taking and making shots from outside. He went to the basket aggressively. Other than Tim Duncan he might have been their best player. He was also quite active on defense.

I've been critical of Anthony because I hate the way he whines to the media without his exclusion from the All-Star game and then team USA. But he has been one of the better players on this team. He outplayed James by a longshot today.

If you really want to blame one player in particular for the lost today it has got to be Allen Iverson. He was flat out horrible. He couldn't have had any fewer than 6 turnovers. His defense was just atrocious. I mean Marbury didn't play particularly well, but he was much, much better than Iverson. Of course I don't blame the entire loss on him. He was the worst player for team USA though.

BTW, if this is the way Larry Brown plans on running his defense Shawn Marion and Amare Stoudemire aren't going to learn anything new. The defense looked exactly like the Phoenix Suns' defense last year. I mean it looked exactly like it. The point guards and shooting guards were constantly beaten off the dribble and off of picks while everyone else ran around like chickens with their heads cut off.

Joe Mama

My frustration came with the fact that Anthony seemed to shoot every time he touched the ball, perhaps watching the Italians move the ball and get wide open shots on most posessions made it look worse to me. I do have to say that Anthony did seem to be more active than others on the defensive end. Lebron looked really lost, which was surprising. Last year, he seemed to be a real difference maker every game that I saw him in. Today, he looked lost. I agree that Iverson gets LVP, Larry Brown must really love him...

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
I'm just not sure who is a better choice that hadn't already turned down the team.

I'm thinking Brett Blizzard would be a better choice than some of these guys. (I am only half kidding)

Iverson and Marbury are great scorers but they are very streaky shooters and not very tough defensive players. Wade is good but young. Along with Amare, Carmello, and James this team would be great in a couple of years but right now Duncan is really the only consistant force on the floor.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:

Joe Mama

Traps always look like that. If you are behind and are forced to trap, the risk is that it will make things worse but the real credit should go to the Italians in that they hit some difficult shots when they had to. Passing the ball really does work - the USA players should try it sometime. :rolleyes:

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
Traps always look like that. If you are behind and are forced to trap, the risk is that it will make things worse but the real credit should go to the Italians in that they hit some difficult shots when they had to. Passing the ball really does work - the USA players should try it sometime. :rolleyes:

Well they did pass, only next time they should pass it to their own teammates instead of the Italians. :)

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:

I guess I've got something against Anthony, too, because I keep having Paul Pierce flashbacks from 2002 whenever he's in the game. It really helps that he's shooting well, but he's costing the team even more with his bad shots, turnovers and poor defense. I definitely wouldn't want him out there if Marion or Jefferson was available.

Anthony did outplay James by a ways, though.

Joe Mama said:

Yeah, Iverson was horrible. The starting unit against PR actually played pretty well, and Iverson killed that--the US wasn't playing well at any time against Italy.

Still, Boozer would get my vote as the worst player on Team USA. His defense is worse than anybody's.

Joe Mama said:

:lol:

Don't Brown's NBA teams run a lot of traps and double-teams, too? What a lousy coach for the Suns he'd make. :D

I'm sure George Karl is smiling somewhere...

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
ASUCHRIS said:
This game reminded me of an upset in the NCAA tournament. The international three is a joke, and the Italian team had one play, drive, kick out for three. Granted they made the shots, but it is crap basketball, exactly the crap that is ruining the college game. The U.S. looked admittedly bad, especially Carmello. The guy shoots every time he touches the ball. The U.S. looked horrendous defensively, and few players showed any fire.

Worst of all, the refs completely changed the game. After Amare's monster block, Lebron made a huge dunk, was fouled, and the refs called traveling, one of the worst calls I've ever seen, and changed the complexion of the game. The dunk would have cut it to ten, with momentum to the U.S. Numerous terrible calls were made, but the U.S. still lost the game based on their play, and incredibly lucky shooting by the Italians.

uh, to be honest, i thought that travel call on bron was a good one and expected it. they called travelling on wade a bunch in the first half too. just 'cuz we're used to watching nba hoops doesn't mean the rest of the world turns their gaze when a superstar travels. this is gonna be an enormous eye-opening experience for this team. i'm sad that they vets (marion, duncan, iverson) didn't have the younger guys prepared for this stuff. and i wouldn't call the italians' shooting lucky. everytime they got an open look they drained it.

i'm embarrassed by the u.s.'s showing today. and i fear it will happen again. in a higher profile game. the young guys just don't have the necessary moxie yet.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
ASUCHRIS said:
Anyone else think that somebody should have gotten in the face of the little Italian freak who bowed to the crowd? That was pretty insulting.

it was only insulting b/c it happened to us. americans are famous for our haughty behavior during international events. and it's not even confined to hoops. see greene's stupid fire extinguisher act recently.

my initial reaction to the bow was the same as yours, but then i thought, if the u.s. was blowing teams out, they'd be hamming it up on the court too. we just got clowned proper.

Billythekid

All Star
Reaction score
ASUCHRIS said:
Anyone else think that somebody should have gotten in the face of the little Italian freak who bowed to the crowd? That was pretty insulting.

Why should they have gotten in his face?

Because he bowed?

Andre Agassi bows and blows kisses after every win. Someone should get in his face too.

:shrug: Who cares man.

You lost. Deal with it.

Was only a practice game!

Last edited:

arizonaman

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
ASUCHRIS said:
Yea thats just what the U.S.A. needs more people across the world thinking we are hot shots thinking were the shizit. Especially considering the fact that we aren't the most favorite country in the world in many peoples eyes. The USA team got worked today its plain and simple

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Billythekid said:
Why should they have gotten in his face?

Because he bowed?

Andre Agassi bows and blows kisses after every win. Someone should get in his face too.

:shrug: Who cares man.

You lost. Deal with it.

Was only a practice game!

Comparing tennis to basketball is comparing apples and oranges; they aren't comparable. Being a huge soccer fan, I understand the Italian "passion" in sports, but personally, if you are blowing out a team, you shouldn't shove it in their face. Maybe that's just my opinion.

This game really pissed me off today. I hate watching the United States losing at anything, especially something that they should be winning, because I don't think that their is any doubt, if we were playing our best players, we would beat any team.

Players like Shaq, who had his father serve in the military his whole life, not representing their country, that pisses me off. I can't imagine a greater honor than representing one's country. Put Shaq, Garnett, Duncan, Kobe and Kidd on the court, and see how badly the Italians get beat.

If we lose like that to Italy, what will happen when we play the Serbian team? :rolleyes:

DaFlogger

Registered
Reaction score
If we lose like that to Italy, what will happen when we play the Serbian team? :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

A good ole fashion spanking! :hammer:

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Serbians? They should be worried about Argentina.

I still haven't seen the game, but from hearing everybody talk... the Italians hit a lot of open jumpers.

Now, how in the hell does this happen? I don't care if they were driving and kicking it back out. Our players should be quick enough to recover and get out on the shooter.

It's all about heart for this team. If they don't bring it hard every game (even practice games)... it's going to be a short ride through Athens.

If they somehow turn the "tenacious-as-hell, I'm-not going-to-let-you-get-off-the-shot-you-want-if-my-life-depended-on-it" D... it will be the most gratifying time of their lives.

I just wish and I hope that we see that from them. I will be proud as hell if they did.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I was shocked when I watched this game. We got worked.....

What we lost by was lucky, watch the last two in bounds passes during the game (or 2 in a row before the last pass in or 2)

I can now say that of the last few USA basketball games I've watched, they lost...Or is it the fact that they pretty much have lost most of the last few games they played

I believe 2 or 3 of the last 4 last summer, the last game in 2002 which kept them out of the medal round, and now this one.

We were so much more athletic and quicker than their team, but they played AS a team, didn't turn it over. Our guys didn't know the game (or coach where he had to call timeout), didn't know each other which led to turnovers, we got worked because we played with only athleticism, and not like a team.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Kidd
Bryant
Garnett
Duncan
Shaq

Bibby
McGrady
Marion
J. O'neal
Wallace

Marbury
Pierce

That is what SHOULD have been out there IMO. That team would kill anyone they faced. We wouldnt even be talking about this right now.

NJYAJ09

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
WastedFate said:
Kidd
Bryant
Garnett
Duncan
Shaq

Bibby
McGrady
Marion
J. O'neal
Wallace

Marbury
Pierce

That is what SHOULD have been out there IMO. That team would kill anyone they faced. We wouldnt even be talking about this right now.
too bad half of them are scared to come to athens.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think there is another problem. I think a lot of players are afraid of getting injured and the Olympics does make for a long year.

Gorilla

Booooya!!!
Reaction score
too bad half of them are scared to come to athens.

Do you think that they are scared? or they just don't care about representing the US in the Olimpics?

I believe that they just don't care about it. But hey, that's just me.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Gorilla said:
Do you think that they are scared? or they just don't care about representing the US in the Olimpics?

I believe that they just don't care about it. But hey, that's just me.

I agree. It kinda sucks that our best players dont even want to play for their country.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
I think there is another problem. I think a lot of players are afraid of getting injured and the Olympics does make for a long year.

The only people that should be afraid of getting injured is Joe Soldier in Iraq, who has more at stake than a torn ACL.

Long year? The Olympics come once every 4 years. Hand me a handkerchief.