USC's big winner....Winston Justice

Trey

Registered
Reaction score
Birth to 32, Phoenix. Now, enemy territory.
By Charles Robinson, Yahoo! Sports
April 2, 2006

LOS ANGELES – Winston Justice thrust his 320 pounds into the air, tapped a mechanism measuring his vertical leap and walked away with a twinge of disappointment. The delighted NFL onlookers be damned, 39 inches apparently wasn't enough.

"I thought I got 40, but they wouldn't give it to me," Justice said. "I thought I went higher."

If elevation was the goal, the University of Southern California tackle can rest assured that he pushed his draft stock to new heights Sunday. Justice was the big winner in the Trojans' annual pro day, entering as a top 15 through 20 pick, but looking more like top 10 material after putting on an impressive athletic display.
Not only did the USC right tackle register the best vertical jump and bench press performances (38 repetitions) of any of the premiere offensive linemen available, but he also put up a better pro day performance than Virginia offensive tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson, who is widely considered the No. 1 tackle in the draft. While the display likely won't move Justice ahead of Ferguson on draft boards, it cements what few thought was possible in this draft.

Two elite tackles will be available on selection day.

"That 39-inch vertical jump is off the charts for a big man," Carolina Panthers head coach John Fox said. "He's a really good football player on tape, and that's the No. 1 thing we look at. But he certainly didn't hurt himself today. … He's athletic enough to move to left tackle, that's for sure. It's just a matter of him getting comfortable. But Winston is a smart guy. He can handle that."

"It was more than what we expected," Tennessee Titans coach Jeff Fisher said. "But you know, you could see flashes of that on the field. He's worked hard to get to this point."

Justice pulled his right hamstring and calf in the last few strides of his 40-yard dash, but still managed to clock a time of nearly five-flat seconds on stopwatches. His 10-yard split of 1.78 seconds suggests Justice could have run in the 4.9-range had he not pulled up at the very end. Despite the injury, he went though all of the drills, posting better numbers than Ferguson in the cone drills (7.37 seconds against Ferguson's 7.61) and shuttle (4.43 versus 4.85).

Justice weighed 15 pounds heavier than Ferguson at his pro day and still blew away the highly acclaimed Virginia product in the bench press (38-26 in reps) and vertical (39-30 in inches). And while Ferguson has spent the bulk of his career at left tackle and is known for being more technically sound, it wouldn't be surprising to hear some scouts suggest Justice is a better prospect.

As for the Trojan who made the opposite impact on talent evaluators, it wasn't hard to find a consensus.

Running back LenDale White, who chose not to perform at the scouting combine, did only the bench press Sunday, skipping the remainder of the drills due to a tweaked hamstring. He weighed in six pounds heavier than at the combine (244) and his bench press total of 15 reps was disappointing when you consider fellow running back Reggie Bush put up 24 repetitions despite weighing 42 pounds lighter. Even 204-pound punter Tom Malone managed 14 reps.

White kept a black long-sleeved track suit on for most of the day and looked out of shape in the brief periods he took the jacket off. That appearance was more than notable when White decided not to run – a decision that seemed to irk a handful of scouts and personnel men bunched near the finish line of the 40 with stopwatches in hand. Behind them, a marquee lit up a name they had been waiting for: "LenDale White." They craned their necks to the left – and the starting line was empty.
"LenDale White will not be running," yelled one of the men in charge of the 40.

The man then turned and repeated it to another throng of coaches and scouts in the bleachers, leaving some to shake their heads in disbelief. White explained his decision as a tender right hamstring that he pulled while working out at the combine. Apparently, he tweaked it when training for the pro day, and he didn't want to damage it further by running.
"It's tight," White said. "What I'm going to do is rehab it and try to get it stronger, and then maybe we can set up another date, whether it's out here or at home. I just don't want to strain it. I don't want to keep pulling it and blowing up. There's a football season coming around the corner. These tests and stuff really don't matter after a while.

"You can tell from the film what somebody can do and what they can't do. Now, when you come out here, that can help you – they want to see how fast you are. But these guys, they're not stupid at all. They know exactly what's going on. If they need me to come out and work out for them or whatever, I will do that for them. But these guys know football. I'm just going to relax and whatever happens happens."

White couldn't guarantee he would run again before the April 29-30 draft, but it was clear that the NFL representatives on hand didn't see that as an acceptable option.

"At some point, a running back has to run a 40-yard dash," Houston Texans general manager Charley Casserly said. "If he doesn't, it's going to hurt him. Yeah, you can draft him, but he's going to go lower than he normally would."

Added another coach in attendance: "Now you have to wonder if he's a guy that is going to have injury and conditioning issues."

OTHER NOTABLE PERFORMACNES
Running back Reggie Bush didn't disappoint, running an electronically timed 4.33 in his best 40. Most NFL stopwatches placed him in the 4.35 to 4.38 range. Performing in front of 150-plus onlookers from the NFL and about 1,500 fans, he also showed some explosion in the vertical, registering a 40½ and showcasing top-notch acceleration and quickness in all of his drills. He also served as a receiver during Matt Leinart's passing drills and showed good hands. All in all, it was something that should do nothing to dissuade Houston from taking him with the No. 1 pick.
"I had a chance to spend some good quality time with him and I walked away feeling very good," Texans coach Gary Kubiak said. "I think I was even a little surprised by how strong he was with the 24 reps (on the bench press)."
The day's other superstar – Leinart – had a solid showing, completing 35 of 45 passes. Of the 10 incompletions, four were dropped passes. Overall, Leinart had a decent showing, completing every type of pass and showing some good mobility when rolling out of the pocket on throws. He also impressed with a 37-inch vertical leap. Overall, it was a good but not overwhelming performance as Leinart didn't appear to hurt his draft standing. The wind picked up during the latter half of his attempts, causing a handful of balls to float.
"I think he made all the throws," Fisher said. "The mobility, the discipline, the footwork and accuracy – it was there. (The wind) did kick up a bit and you saw a couple of balls sailed, but I thought he made a good adjustment."
Guard Deuce Lutui ran a 5.33 in his 40-yard dash and did 26 reps in the bench press. His 1.7-second 10-yard split shows a good initial burst for his size (6-3½, 330 pounds). Lutui likely maintained his second-round grade.
Safety Darnell Bing ran his 40 in the mid 4.5-second range and registered a 38-inch vertical He showed solid hands during drills and is still expected to carry a second-round grade.
Tight end Dominique Byrd didn't have a good performance. He was timed in the low 4.8-second range in the 40, and ran a sluggish 4.5 seconds in the shuttle. He also had 16 reps in the bench press. He's likely to carry a late-second grade to mid-third-round grade.

Winston Justice doesn't seem such a reach at 10 anymore, while LenDale hurt his stock big time. He still hasn't run the 40, and he bested USC's punter by 1 rep on the bench. I think Cutler had 9 or more reps than White.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Trey said:
He weighed in six pounds heavier than at the combine (244) and his bench press total of 15 reps was disappointing when you consider fellow running back Reggie Bush put up 24 repetitions despite weighing 42 pounds lighter. Even 204-pound punter Tom Malone managed 14 reps.

White kept a black long-sleeved track suit on for most of the day and looked out of shape in the brief periods he took the jacket off.

The man then turned and repeated it to another throng of coaches and scouts in the bleachers, leaving some to shake their heads in disbelief.

"It's tight," White said. "What I'm going to do is rehab it and try to get it stronger, and then maybe we can set up another date, whether it's out here or at home. I just don't want to strain it. I don't want to keep pulling it and blowing up. There's a football season coming around the corner. These tests and stuff really don't matter after a while.

"You can tell from the film what somebody can do and what they can't do. Now, when you come out here, that can help you – they want to see how fast you are. But these guys, they're not stupid at all. They know exactly what's going on. If they need me to come out and work out for them or whatever, I will do that for them. But these guys know football. I'm just going to relax and whatever happens happens."

White couldn't guarantee he would run again before the April 29-30 draft, but it was clear that the NFL representatives on hand didn't see that as an acceptable option.

"At some point, a running back has to run a 40-yard dash," Houston Texans general manager Charley Casserly said. "If he doesn't, it's going to hurt him. Yeah, you can draft him, but he's going to go lower than he normally would."

Added another coach in attendance: "Now you have to wonder if he's a guy that is going to have injury and conditioning issues."

His actions and especially his comments tell me the guy just does not get "IT".

I also have to question if he has even trained at all this offseason going into the draft.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
No 10 keeps getting better, I have a feeling Cards will land someone solid at 10, replace Ross with Justice, I'm all for it

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
The War Room Draft Dish: Bush, Leinart, USC all on top

April 2, 2006 Print it

By War Room scouts
For Sporting News

The day before the annual Pro Day workout at the University of Southern California, Reggie Bush was getting anxious. The standout running back and reigning Heisman Trophy winner is more than accustomed to performing in front of large groups in pressure situations, but this group, though not nearly as big as the 90,000 that routinely fit inside the Los Angeles Coliseum for Trojans football games, would be filled with representatives from all 32 NFL teams who were ready to determine his NFL fate.

If that anxiety was still in place the next day, it didn't show in Bush's results. In fact, he turned in a stellar workout on Sunday that more than solidified his place as the No. 1 pick in this year's draft.

Bush ran a very fast 4.33 in the 40-yard dash. He followed that with a 40 1/2 vertical leap, a 10-foot 8-inch broad jump, and standing at only 5-10, 201 pounds, put up 24 reps in the 225-pound bench press. He also put in an awesome performance in the receiving drills, which he probably didn't even need to do, but as he said, "I did it for Matt (Leinart)."

Leinart, though turning in what some coaches called a 'B-plus' throwing performance, clearly separated himself from every other quarterback in this draft. One coach in attendance thought he did that just in the way he managed the workout, "like a pro." The same coach told us that he was leaving the USC campus feeling like any GM would be comfortable handing their team over to Leinart next year as a rookie.

He didn't run the 40, but Leinart turned in a 37-inch vertical leap and a 9-foot 5-inch broad jump. In the passing drills he showed good accuracy as expected, and showed a good understanding of when and where to throw the ball. He was able to work progressions and find the correct receiver in every situation. He threw a decent deep ball but was not as accurate on the deep out and the ball fluttered on him a bit, which comes as a result of not having enough spin on the ball.

Scouts walked away with the conclusion that Leinart doesn't have "a Carson Palmer arm," which few NFL QBs do, but they were impressed by his athleticism and his ability to move around in the pocket.

Unfortunately, things did not go nearly as well for running back LenDale White, who continues to lose money with a series of bad decisions. He decided not to run the 40 at the workout. White has never run a 40 on the clock in all his time at USC, and didn't run at the Combine, so scouts expected to see it here but were disappointed again when White refused to run. To make matters worse, he weighed in at 244 pounds, six pounds heavier than an already overweight 238 in Indy.

White didn't do anything particularly well and may be pushing himself down into the second round of the draft. As one scout said, "if someone takes him in the first round now, there will be 100 prospects who won't run next year. That thinking, combined with the fact that White is out of shape, has shown a poor work ethic, and has character questions that need to be answered, has turned what appeared to be a sure first-rounder into a top-tier second-round pick.

The news was better for offensive tackle Winston Justice, and as one coach in attendance said, "he made a lot of money today." Justice was on pace to run a 4.85-to-4.90 40-yard dash but felt a tweak in his hamstring at about 30 yards and pulled up, finishing in a time of 5.18.

Justice, a 320-pounder, wanted to finish the rest of the workout and thought it best to pull up in the 40, and it paid off. He turned in a 39-inch vertical leap and looked outstanding in position drills. Don't be surprised to see Justice climb toward the top 10.

The Raiders' Mike Lombardi, whose team owns the No. 7 overall pick, spent nearly the entire day following Justice around, and the Cardinals also are interested at No. 10.

Other highlights from the workout included safety Darnell Bing's 4.53 40 time and 38-inch vertical leap, but Bing always looks good in shorts. His trouble is that when you look at the game tape, it's hard to find that athleticism being put to use on the football field.

Guard Taitusi "Deuce" Lutui, who was considered too small as a junior college transfer at 275, weighed in at a solid 330 pounds and showed great athleticism with a 5.3 in the 40, a 32-inch vertical leap, and 26 reps in the bench press. He looked terrific in position drills and should rise up to the top of the second round. Anyone who can add 60 pounds of bulk in two years without sacrificing any agility will draw such significant interest from teams.

The fastest 40-yard time for tight end Dominique Byrd was 4.78. While he played well at the Senior Bowl in January and had scouts thinking he was a potential vertical threat in the passing game, the fact is, 4.8 guys don't outrun linebackers in the NFL. Look for Byrd to drop into the late third round.

A potential sleeper is William Buchanon. The son of former NFL great Willie Buchanon, Williams has started at both wide receiver and cornerback for the Trojans over the past four years and has great athleticism. He ran a 4.38 in the 40 at Sunday's workout with a 40-inch vertical leap and a 10-foot 1-inch broad jump. Some teams will be intrigued by his speed and agility, but while he is still not a Day 1 prospect, he could be a good value pick in the fourth or fifth round.

This was clearly the best Pro Day of the year, providing plenty of opportunities for scouts to see all the talent that USC has to offer. In addition to the 4-to-5 hour workout that included two Heisman winners in Bush and Leinart, scouts and NFL personnel were treated to the team's spring game, held in the Coliseum on Saturday night. Then after the seniors were done on Sunday, the juniors who will be eligible for next year's draft were available for workouts. Furthermore, in the stands for the whole affair were the top 100 high school players in the state of California.

Pete Carroll's message to them, "in three or four years, that can be you." That's not a bad recruiting plan for Coach Carroll. Look for more Trojans magic to be coming out of LA in the next few years.

So, the bottom line from Sunday is this: Bush is clearly the top talent in this draft and Leinart is the top QB. Justice is the biggest first-round mover, while White continues to fall and may be out of the first round. Bing and Lutui have entrenched themselves in the second round. And look Buchanon to draw more attention early on Day 2.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
BACH said:
The news was better for offensive tackle Winston Justice, and as one coach in attendance said, "he made a lot of money today." Justice was on pace to run a 4.85-to-4.90 40-yard dash but felt a tweak in his hamstring at about 30 yards and pulled up, finishing in a time of 5.18.

Justice, a 320-pounder, wanted to finish the rest of the workout and thought it best to pull up in the 40, and it paid off. He turned in a 39-inch vertical leap and looked outstanding in position drills. Don't be surprised to see Justice climb toward the top 10.

The Raiders' Mike Lombardi, whose team owns the No. 7 overall pick, spent nearly the entire day following Justice around, and the Cardinals also are interested at No. 10.
Interesting...

With this work-out, has Justice moved ahead of Cutler on our board?

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BACH said:
He didn't run the 40, but Leinart turned in a 37-inch vertical leap and a 9-foot 5-inch broad jump.
A vertical one inch less than Shawn Marion's? Methinks there's something funny going on at USC.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nm132 said:
A vertical one inch less than Shawn Marion's? Methinks there's something funny going on at USC.

they showed Leinart's jump on ESPN. if I had to guess I think he short armed his reach.

They make you reach up and touch as high as you can, then you jump and touch, and the vertical leap is the difference between the 2 marks. So if you don't reach all out in the first reach, it makes your vertical look better when you jump and fully reach up.

Plus what makes Marion special is he bounces off the floor, he doesn't have to gather himself to jump he just hops up. these NFL guys are doing explosion jumps it's really a different thing entirely.

Reaction score
joeshmo said:
His actions and especially his comments tell me the guy just does not get "IT".

I also have to question if he has even trained at all this offseason going into the draft.
Exactly, joe. LenDale doesn't get it!!! Too bad for him, he could fall a long way. Figure the way he is acting that a lot of pro personnel guys must be thinking, "What happens to a guy with that attitude when handed a large signing bonus?" Not a good picture.

Justice on the other hand might be a pick at #10...

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Plus what makes Marion special is he bounces off the floor, he doesn't have to gather himself to jump he just hops up. these NFL guys are doing explosion jumps it's really a different thing entirely.

Yep. Plus Marion can jump 38 3 times in a row within seconds. It would take a football player another 30 seconds to gather themselves back up for another jump.

Reaction score
This was clearly the best Pro Day of the year, providing plenty of opportunities for scouts to see all the talent that USC has to offer. In addition to the 4-to-5 hour workout that included two Heisman winners in Bush and Leinart, scouts and NFL personnel were treated to the team's spring game, held in the Coliseum on Saturday night. Then after the seniors were done on Sunday, the juniors who will be eligible for next year's draft were available for workouts. Furthermore, in the stands for the whole affair were the top 100 high school players in the state of California.

Pete Carroll's message to them, "in three or four years, that can be you." That's not a bad recruiting plan for Coach Carroll. Look for more Trojans magic to be coming out of LA in the next few years.
I am not a fan of USC, but Pete Carroll sure is running a good program there.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
CardLogic said:
I am not a fan of USC, but Pete Carroll sure is running a good program there.

That isnt just a USC thing, most programs or at least the bigger ones do the same thing. I know Texas and Miami do it as well.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
BACH said:
Interesting...

I'd guess that Justice was always ahead of Cutler on our board. Cutler is a middling prospect to everyone but Mel Kiper and Chris Mortensen.

I'd still worry about his motivation issues if he becomes a Top 10 pick and gets all that money, but those numbers are pretty eye-popping. If either Vince Young or Winston Justice fall to Arizona at #10, we'll be pretty fortunate.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
I'd guess that Justice was always ahead of Cutler on our board. Cutler is a middling prospect to everyone but Mel Kiper and Chris Mortensen.

I'd still worry about his motivation issues if he becomes a Top 10 pick and gets all that money, but those numbers are pretty eye-popping. If either Vince Young or Winston Justice fall to Arizona at #10, we'll be pretty fortunate.

not to worry, Justice is a very level headed kid. he was just joking around when he pulled a pellet gun on a fellow student who thought it was real.he was just joking when he laughingly told campus police he thought the kid was going to pee his pants he was so scared. He was just kidding when he got in trouble the first time in school too, or the time in highschool. Pete Carroll is a known hard ass, he runs a tight ship, no messing around is tolerated, his kids are all great scholars and Pete won't tolerate any monkey business.

Whoops, got stuck in sarcasm mode. Someone is going to draft Justice quite high, if it's us I just hope we get the new and improved guy and not the guy who was so immature that Countryclub Pete Carroll suspended the guy. Do people realize how hard it is to get suspended at USC? Even white didn't manage to get suspended with all his laziness and character issues, but Justice got suspended twice, once for a whole season.

Just hope he's matured if we pick him, he's talented for sure, but he was a much bigger problem in school than White was.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
BACH said:
Interesting...

I hope not, and not just because I like Cutler. This is typical pre-draft BS. A guy we wouldn't have wanted is now all of a sudden 'all the rage' because he had great personal workout numbers. Big frickin' deal. I'm still the same on Justice as I was before...I'd be okay with the pick, I guess, but it's not a great one IMO.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Stout said:
I hope not, and not just because I like Cutler. This is typical pre-draft BS. A guy we wouldn't have wanted is now all of a sudden 'all the rage' because he had great personal workout numbers. Big frickin' deal. I'm still the same on Justice as I was before...I'd be okay with the pick, I guess, but it's not a great one IMO.

Funny because that sounds like Cutler you're describing not just Justice. Cutler was probably a late first, early second pick before his workouts ... then suddenly he's considered possibly the best QB prospect in the draft.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
Funny because that sounds like Cutler you're describing not just Justice. Cutler was probably a late first, early second pick before his workouts ... then suddenly he's considered possibly the best QB prospect in the draft.

I was thinking the same thing.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:

Uh, try again there, Mr. Make-believe. I distinctly recall that Cutler was a definite first-rounder quite early in the postseason, and that he was at least considered a mid-first rounder all the way up to and before his workouts.

But hey...let's not let reality get in the way of a good parallel, eh?

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Stout said:
Uh, try again there, Mr. Make-believe. I distinctly recall that Cutler was a definite first-rounder quite early in the postseason, and that he was at least considered a mid-first rounder all the way up to and before his workouts.

But hey...let's not let reality get in the way of a good parallel, eh?

Proof please

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
Stout said:
Prove YOUR assertion. Sorry to play Mr. High-handed, but I only get to surf a bit each day because of my insane schedule. You're the one who asserted it; go find it yourself.
I think he wanted some proof that Cutler was a definite first rounder in postseason. He claimed he was a marginal 1st to early 2nd before the end of the season and his workouts. I would agree with him.

Last edited:

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
Proof please

I read Scouts Inc daily and they have considered Cutler a first round prospect since the end of the season and before the Senior Bowl.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rats said:
I think he wanted some proof that Cutler was a definite first rounder in postseason. He claimed he was a marginal 1st to early 2nd before the end of the season and his workouts. I would agree with him.

Then you would be wrong.